Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The busted Mayo Deal / Paul George

Sports Logo

Default The busted Mayo Deal / Paul George

Hello Everyone.
    I'd like to discuss a few things that I've noticed here.

Not very important:

1. The Mayo Deal. Some people here were happy we missed it. And I just wonder... How can you be happy about it?
    Mayo had an outstanding rookie year, was great last year, he sucks this year yes, has problems off the court, so what? How else do you expect to get a player talented as he is? he has huge potential and huge talent, and he's by far better than Rush, Jones and Dunleavy.
    As for losing Mcroberts- Are you guys serious? Josh Mcroberts? You don't want to lose Josh Mcroberts for O.J Mayo? You don't want to lose a role-player for one of the most talented scorers in the NBA? And why? because josh is a local boy? come on! He's no Defensive player of the year and we don't run plays for him on offense. Yes, he brings hustle and energy, which is great, for a BENCH PLAYER! And he's a great passer! which is OK, but what does it have to do with the 4 spot? It's not like he's the next Kidd. A starting Power forward needs to be good on either scoring or defending, and needs to be a good rebounder. Oh yeah, and he also expires this season. So you're not even missing him for THAT long if you really want him.

Something that kind of bothers me:

2. Paul George. I see too many exaggerated posts about him. Too many "He will be a superstar" "Face of the franchise" all that.
    Well, maybe he will be a superstar, maybe he will lead the franchise, who knows. But what makes you think he'll be a superstar? Based on what? Usually superstars are already great on their rookie season. Lebron, Wade, Melo, Durant, Rose the list goes on and on. But that's ok, maybe he's not getting enough minutes, maybe he'll really break out later, I don't know, and I'm not saying there's no chance, this guy has huge potential. But is there a rookie with no potential?
    The "Proven" players, like Wall and Blake, you can say they'll be superstars. they are both starters and produce at a very high level as rookies. But George hasn't even started once yet, and some people here already made him a franchise player.
    Again, I'm not saying he has no potential or talent. All I'm saying is, I think it's too early to decide such things.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to yoadknux For This Useful Post:

Yeah, I'm a Pacers fan. MyFavMartin's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: The busted Mayo Deal / Paul George

I think it's interesting to speculate as to what it'd be like to have had Mayo come playoff time, esp. in the case of Miami when they go with their no PG line-up.

LeBron/DWade/J. Jones/Bosh/Dampier
    PG/Mayo/DG/Tyler/Hibbert

I guess it might be also interesting to speculate as to Mayo's potential role in dealing with bigger point guards that have been giving us trouble (i.e., DRose), but then either DC2 isn't on the court or we've got him covering Ronnie Brewer or Bogans.

It might be something we revisit in the off-season, esp. come draft time. Mayo has worn his welcome out in Memphis and the Griz will need FC help with the potential loss of Randolph and Gasol.

I really like McRoberts and think he gives us something currently that Tyler doesn't... playmaking passing, athleticism and good team chemistry with the starters... That being said, I liked the trade.

But now, it's spilled milk.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

You say people exaggerate Paul George's talent, yet you say Mayo is one of the most talented scorers in the NBA.

Pot meet kettle
    Grown Man Ball

5. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to SMosley21 For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by yoadknux View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    As for losing Mcroberts- Are you guys serious? Josh Mcroberts? You don't want to lose Josh Mcroberts for O.J Mayo? You don't want to lose a role-player for one of the most talented scorers in the NBA?
    I don't wanna lose 1 of our only 2 PF's on the team, a guy who gels really well with Roy and is one of the better passers on our team for an immature punk who scores only 12 points a game, is not a very good defender, and will more than likely do something stupid and get himself in trouble before his time here with us is up.

7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Day-V For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by SMosley21 View Post
    You say people exaggerate Paul George's talent, yet you say Mayo is one of the most talented scorers in the NBA.

Pot meet kettle
    Are you serious?

Day-V
    This "Immature Punk" has better production in my opinion, and josh is both replaceable and expiring

Mood

Are you serious?

Day-V
    This "Immature Punk" has better production in my opinion, and josh is both replaceable and expiring
    I don't want 1 PF on our team and 5 SG's. And I don't care what Josh allegedly is.

I think you really over-estimate OJ Mayo.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Day-V For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Over estimate? A young guy who averages 16.7 pts with around 45%FG over 3 years is who I over estimate?
    I think it's other way around.
    You don't want 5 SGs? OK. Dun expires. Either George or Jones play backup SF. Rush or Lance can be traded (We were about to trade Rush anyway). that gives you 3 SGs. Better?

Mood

The guy just has a ton of red flags on his resume. I just don't see why you bring him in when you have a guy in Paul George that very well could be as good as or better than him.

Plus, I think if we had brought him in, we would have had a tough time making the playoffs. And I think making the playoffs this year is a crucial step for the future of the core of this team.

If we really want him, offer Brandon and pick in the offseason.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Day-V For This Useful Post:

woman without a team

he sucks this year yes, has problems off the court, so what?
    So what? Are you serious? So he gets in trouble and it's those thugs the Pacers all over again.

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to grace For This Useful Post:

I am not particularly found of Mayo but Bird thought he was worth it and I think he has a better feel for players than we do. So, as much as I like Josh I am sure that trade was not the only trade they were going to make. I suspect a big was to be obtained one way or another.
    {o,o}
    |)__)
    -"-"-

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by owl View Post
    I am not particularly found of Mayo but Bird thought he was worth it and I think he has a better feel for players than we do. So, as much as I like Josh I am sure that trade was not the only trade they were going to make. I suspect a big was to be obtained one way or another.
    This I agree with. I would've been more in favor of the trade had a quality big been included. The oft-reported J-Mac & 1st Rounder for Mayo, however, no thanks.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Day-V For This Useful Post:

The problem I have is when people are acting like Mayo and George couldn't coexist. You can never have too much talent. If Wade and LeBron can coexist, I'm sure these two could've too. Right now, how many guys on this roster can create their own shot on a regular basis? Not many. At the very least, Mayo would've given us that.

If George is good enough, he'll play. There are enough minutes to go around for everyone especially with Dunleavy shut down and Rush presumably out the door sooner rather than later. Also, the fact that Mayo can play SOME point guard also makes him an attractive option as a nice 6th man type going forward. It's a moot point because we had our shot and blew it, but maybe we'll get a second chance in the offseason.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to PR07 For This Useful Post:

Ok the deal didn't happen. I hope maybe, just maybe this deal lights a fire under Brandon Rush's ***. He is CAPABLE of putting up the numbers OJ Mayo has in his career when he wants to. Rush isn't lacking talent or ability offensively. Plus he plays GREAT defense. I'm hoping that Rush is saying to himself (I'm the starting 2, and they were about to trade for a guy that scores more.... sooo maybe I need to be more aggressive consistently and score more). One can only hope...

I'm sorry, but a guy with a career average of 16.7 points per game, and who is regressing with a career low this season of 12 per game, is NOT one of the most talented scorers in the league.

The trade didn't happen. Get off OJ's jock
    Grown Man Ball

Pacer Pride, Colts Strong Kid Minneapolis's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo

1. The Mayo Deal. Some people here were happy we missed it. And I just wonder... How can you be happy about it?
    You asked a question, and then answered it yourself:

...he sucks this year yes, has problems off the court, so what?
    Lol. "So what." Way to ignore some major signs there, fella.
    There are two types of quarterbacks in the league: Those whom over time, the league figures out ... and those who figure out the league.

Randy Moss had a few down years in Oakland then look what happened in New England. It's a different sport, but sometimes a change of scenery can do wonders.

Chairman of the Boards 90'sNBARocked's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Day-V View Post
    I don't wanna lose 1 of our only 2 PF's on the team, a guy who gels really well with Roy and is one of the better passers on our team for an immature punk who scores only 12 points a game, is not a very good defender, and will more than likely do something stupid and get himself in trouble before his time here with us is up.
    not calling you out bro, but I dont understand why people are so quick to judge. Yes Mayo had some recruiting issues , but that is very common. He has not been in trouble in the courts, and his "ban" was for a sports drink

he is only 21 and I am still in shock we couldnt meet a funkin deadline

How unprofessional
    Sittin on top of the world!

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by PR07 View Post
    Randy Moss had a few down years in Oakland then look what happened in New England.

We are not the New England Patriots. We are the Houston Texans.

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Day-V For This Useful Post:

This I agree with. I would've been more in favor of the trade had a quality big been included. The oft-reported J-Mac & 1st Rounder for Mayo, however, no thanks.
    Well it was reported as a three way with NOH sending back 2 players and a 1st. We will never know who those players were. NOH has a lot of cheap players that could have made that deal work, including 5 bigs at 2.5 mil or below.

Pacer Pride, Colts Strong Kid Minneapolis's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Randy Moss was also amazing before he experienced a decline... whereas Mayo was just... decent.

That said, I don't disagree about change of scenery doing good, look what Jalen Rose did for us. But, let's not pretend that is a consistently repeatable scenario.

Mayo has declined each year in the league. He has incidents quite frequently. He has all-world talent. It's just not gonna happen. We already have one of those guys in Lance Stephenson, let's keep it to one gamble at a time please.

Besides, from everything we've read, we got canoodled by NO backing out of the deal at the last second, what are ya gonna do?
    There are two types of quarterbacks in the league: Those whom over time, the league figures out ... and those who figure out the league.

30. The Following User Says Thank You to Kid Minneapolis For This Useful Post:

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by 90'sNBARocked View Post
    and his "ban" was for a sports drink
    He said it was an over-the-counter supplement at first.

We are not the New England Patriots. We are the Houston Texans.
    That's not the point though. Just because a guy is not playing well in an organization where basketball goes to die and they rarely win anything, doesn't mean he couldn't succeed under the guidance of a future hall of famer (Bird) and a rising culture that is Pacers' Basketball.

I mean the Grizzlies might be second in incompetence only to the Clippers when it comes to running an NBA organization. I don't put much stock into how a guy is performing there because I'm not sure if there is any set plan present.
    Last edited by PR07; 02-25-2011 at 09:57 AM.

That's not the point though. Just because a guy is not playing well in an organization where basketball goes to die and they rarely win anything, doesn't mean he couldn't succeed under the guidance of a future hall of famer (Bird) and a rising culture that is Pacers' Basketball.

I mean the Grizzlies might be second in incompetence only to the Raptors when it comes to running an NBA organization. I don't put much stock into how a guy is performing there because I'm not sure if there is any set plan present.
    Off topic, but that future happened in 1998.

Mood

My fear is that he wouldn't pay attention to Bird. I think he'd do much better around proven veterans like Tim Duncan in San Antonio, Kobe in L.A., or KG and Ray in Boston.

[QUOTE=PR07;1178392]The problem I have is when people are acting like Mayo and George couldn't coexist. You can never have too much talent. If Wade and LeBron can coexist, I'm sure these two could've too. Right now, how many guys on this roster can create their own shot on a regular basis? Not many. At the very least, Mayo would've given us that.

QUOTE]

The thing is he doesn't create his own shot.Yes it was a strength coming out of higschool and College but it has not translated over in the NBA. I think the reason is he's not a great athlete, secondly he doesn't have that explosive first step that some of the other undersized two guards have that make them so good at attacking the rim.

At this point in his career he has alot of trouble getting by his man and he's not considered a very a good one on one player.Alot of people who were so high on was mainly because they thought he could play pg in the NBA and potentially be a huge matchup problem but he can't play that spot and I don't think scouts see him as a elite talent anymore.

He is a excellent shooter and a willing passer and there would have been a role on him for this team but I don't view him as starter on a team looking to win a championship.I think he could be a great 6th man.