Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 53

Thread: The busted Mayo Deal / Paul George

  1. #1
    Member yoadknux's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Israel
    Age
    22
    Posts
    1,317

    Sports Logo

    Default The busted Mayo Deal / Paul George

    Hello Everyone.
    I'd like to discuss a few things that I've noticed here.

    Not very important:

    1. The Mayo Deal. Some people here were happy we missed it. And I just wonder... How can you be happy about it?
    Mayo had an outstanding rookie year, was great last year, he sucks this year yes, has problems off the court, so what? How else do you expect to get a player talented as he is? he has huge potential and huge talent, and he's by far better than Rush, Jones and Dunleavy.
    As for losing Mcroberts- Are you guys serious? Josh Mcroberts? You don't want to lose Josh Mcroberts for O.J Mayo? You don't want to lose a role-player for one of the most talented scorers in the NBA? And why? because josh is a local boy? come on! He's no Defensive player of the year and we don't run plays for him on offense. Yes, he brings hustle and energy, which is great, for a BENCH PLAYER! And he's a great passer! which is OK, but what does it have to do with the 4 spot? It's not like he's the next Kidd. A starting Power forward needs to be good on either scoring or defending, and needs to be a good rebounder. Oh yeah, and he also expires this season. So you're not even missing him for THAT long if you really want him.

    Something that kind of bothers me:

    2. Paul George. I see too many exaggerated posts about him. Too many "He will be a superstar" "Face of the franchise" all that.
    Well, maybe he will be a superstar, maybe he will lead the franchise, who knows. But what makes you think he'll be a superstar? Based on what? Usually superstars are already great on their rookie season. Lebron, Wade, Melo, Durant, Rose the list goes on and on. But that's ok, maybe he's not getting enough minutes, maybe he'll really break out later, I don't know, and I'm not saying there's no chance, this guy has huge potential. But is there a rookie with no potential?
    The "Proven" players, like Wall and Blake, you can say they'll be superstars. they are both starters and produce at a very high level as rookies. But George hasn't even started once yet, and some people here already made him a franchise player.
    Again, I'm not saying he has no potential or talent. All I'm saying is, I think it's too early to decide such things.

  2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to yoadknux For This Useful Post:


  3. #2
    Yeah, I'm a Pacers fan. MyFavMartin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    In the Washington DC area
    Posts
    4,302
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: The busted Mayo Deal / Paul George

    I think it's interesting to speculate as to what it'd be like to have had Mayo come playoff time, esp. in the case of Miami when they go with their no PG line-up.

    LeBron/DWade/J. Jones/Bosh/Dampier
    PG/Mayo/DG/Tyler/Hibbert

    I guess it might be also interesting to speculate as to Mayo's potential role in dealing with bigger point guards that have been giving us trouble (i.e., DRose), but then either DC2 isn't on the court or we've got him covering Ronnie Brewer or Bogans.

    It might be something we revisit in the off-season, esp. come draft time. Mayo has worn his welcome out in Memphis and the Griz will need FC help with the potential loss of Randolph and Gasol.

    I really like McRoberts and think he gives us something currently that Tyler doesn't... playmaking passing, athleticism and good team chemistry with the starters... That being said, I liked the trade.

    But now, it's spilled milk.

  4. #3
    Stay focused SMosley21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Going the distance
    Age
    31
    Posts
    2,534

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: The busted Mayo Deal / Paul George

    You say people exaggerate Paul George's talent, yet you say Mayo is one of the most talented scorers in the NBA.

    Pot meet kettle
    Grown Man Ball

  5. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to SMosley21 For This Useful Post:

    + Show/Hide list of the thanked


  6. #4
    Shooting for the Moon Day-V's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    SoBro
    Age
    25
    Posts
    4,307
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: The busted Mayo Deal / Paul George

    Quote Originally Posted by yoadknux View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    As for losing Mcroberts- Are you guys serious? Josh Mcroberts? You don't want to lose Josh Mcroberts for O.J Mayo? You don't want to lose a role-player for one of the most talented scorers in the NBA?
    I don't wanna lose 1 of our only 2 PF's on the team, a guy who gels really well with Roy and is one of the better passers on our team for an immature punk who scores only 12 points a game, is not a very good defender, and will more than likely do something stupid and get himself in trouble before his time here with us is up.

  7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Day-V For This Useful Post:


  8. #5
    Member yoadknux's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Israel
    Age
    22
    Posts
    1,317

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: The busted Mayo Deal / Paul George

    Quote Originally Posted by SMosley21 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You say people exaggerate Paul George's talent, yet you say Mayo is one of the most talented scorers in the NBA.

    Pot meet kettle
    Are you serious?

    Day-V
    This "Immature Punk" has better production in my opinion, and josh is both replaceable and expiring

  9. #6
    Shooting for the Moon Day-V's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    SoBro
    Age
    25
    Posts
    4,307
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: The busted Mayo Deal / Paul George

    Quote Originally Posted by yoadknux View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Are you serious?

    Day-V
    This "Immature Punk" has better production in my opinion, and josh is both replaceable and expiring
    I don't want 1 PF on our team and 5 SG's. And I don't care what Josh allegedly is.


    I think you really over-estimate OJ Mayo.

  10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Day-V For This Useful Post:


  11. #7
    Member yoadknux's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Israel
    Age
    22
    Posts
    1,317

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: The busted Mayo Deal / Paul George

    Over estimate? A young guy who averages 16.7 pts with around 45%FG over 3 years is who I over estimate?
    I think it's other way around.
    You don't want 5 SGs? OK. Dun expires. Either George or Jones play backup SF. Rush or Lance can be traded (We were about to trade Rush anyway). that gives you 3 SGs. Better?

  12. #8
    Shooting for the Moon Day-V's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    SoBro
    Age
    25
    Posts
    4,307
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: The busted Mayo Deal / Paul George

    The guy just has a ton of red flags on his resume. I just don't see why you bring him in when you have a guy in Paul George that very well could be as good as or better than him.

    Plus, I think if we had brought him in, we would have had a tough time making the playoffs. And I think making the playoffs this year is a crucial step for the future of the core of this team.

    If we really want him, offer Brandon and pick in the offseason.

  13. The Following User Says Thank You to Day-V For This Useful Post:


  14. #9
    woman without a team
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    7,054

    Default Re: The busted Mayo Deal / Paul George

    Quote Originally Posted by yoadknux View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    he sucks this year yes, has problems off the court, so what?
    So what? Are you serious? So he gets in trouble and it's those thugs the Pacers all over again.

  15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to grace For This Useful Post:


  16. #10
    Member owl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    4,152

    Default Re: The busted Mayo Deal / Paul George

    I am not particularly found of Mayo but Bird thought he was worth it and I think he has a better feel for players than we do. So, as much as I like Josh I am sure that trade was not the only trade they were going to make. I suspect a big was to be obtained one way or another.
    {o,o}
    |)__)
    -"-"-

  17. #11
    Shooting for the Moon Day-V's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    SoBro
    Age
    25
    Posts
    4,307
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: The busted Mayo Deal / Paul George

    Quote Originally Posted by owl View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I am not particularly found of Mayo but Bird thought he was worth it and I think he has a better feel for players than we do. So, as much as I like Josh I am sure that trade was not the only trade they were going to make. I suspect a big was to be obtained one way or another.
    This I agree with. I would've been more in favor of the trade had a quality big been included. The oft-reported J-Mac & 1st Rounder for Mayo, however, no thanks.

  18. The Following User Says Thank You to Day-V For This Useful Post:


  19. #12
    Member PR07's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    4,909

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: The busted Mayo Deal / Paul George

    The problem I have is when people are acting like Mayo and George couldn't coexist. You can never have too much talent. If Wade and LeBron can coexist, I'm sure these two could've too. Right now, how many guys on this roster can create their own shot on a regular basis? Not many. At the very least, Mayo would've given us that.

    If George is good enough, he'll play. There are enough minutes to go around for everyone especially with Dunleavy shut down and Rush presumably out the door sooner rather than later. Also, the fact that Mayo can play SOME point guard also makes him an attractive option as a nice 6th man type going forward. It's a moot point because we had our shot and blew it, but maybe we'll get a second chance in the offseason.

  20. The Following User Says Thank You to PR07 For This Useful Post:


  21. #13
    Member Evan_The_Dude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Indianapolis, In. via Oakland, Ca.
    Age
    33
    Posts
    3,406

    Default Re: The busted Mayo Deal / Paul George

    Ok the deal didn't happen. I hope maybe, just maybe this deal lights a fire under Brandon Rush's ***. He is CAPABLE of putting up the numbers OJ Mayo has in his career when he wants to. Rush isn't lacking talent or ability offensively. Plus he plays GREAT defense. I'm hoping that Rush is saying to himself (I'm the starting 2, and they were about to trade for a guy that scores more.... sooo maybe I need to be more aggressive consistently and score more). One can only hope...

  22. #14
    Stay focused SMosley21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Going the distance
    Age
    31
    Posts
    2,534

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: The busted Mayo Deal / Paul George

    I'm sorry, but a guy with a career average of 16.7 points per game, and who is regressing with a career low this season of 12 per game, is NOT one of the most talented scorers in the league.

    The trade didn't happen. Get off OJ's jock
    Grown Man Ball

  23. #15
    Pacer Pride, Colts Strong Kid Minneapolis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    4,373

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: The busted Mayo Deal / Paul George

    Quote Originally Posted by yoadknux View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    1. The Mayo Deal. Some people here were happy we missed it. And I just wonder... How can you be happy about it?
    You asked a question, and then answered it yourself:

    Quote Originally Posted by yoadknux View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    ...he sucks this year yes, has problems off the court, so what?
    Lol. "So what." Way to ignore some major signs there, fella.
    There are two types of quarterbacks in the league: Those whom over time, the league figures out ... and those who figure out the league.

  24. #16
    Member PR07's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    4,909

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: The busted Mayo Deal / Paul George

    Randy Moss had a few down years in Oakland then look what happened in New England. It's a different sport, but sometimes a change of scenery can do wonders.

  25. #17
    Chairman of the Boards 90'sNBARocked's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Chicago, but Brooklyn/Naptown Raised!!
    Posts
    7,598

    Default Re: The busted Mayo Deal / Paul George

    Quote Originally Posted by Day-V View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I don't wanna lose 1 of our only 2 PF's on the team, a guy who gels really well with Roy and is one of the better passers on our team for an immature punk who scores only 12 points a game, is not a very good defender, and will more than likely do something stupid and get himself in trouble before his time here with us is up.
    not calling you out bro, but I dont understand why people are so quick to judge. Yes Mayo had some recruiting issues , but that is very common. He has not been in trouble in the courts, and his "ban" was for a sports drink

    he is only 21 and I am still in shock we couldnt meet a funkin deadline

    How unprofessional
    Sittin on top of the world!

  26. #18
    Shooting for the Moon Day-V's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    SoBro
    Age
    25
    Posts
    4,307
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: The busted Mayo Deal / Paul George

    Quote Originally Posted by PR07 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Randy Moss had a few down years in Oakland then look what happened in New England.

    We are not the New England Patriots. We are the Houston Texans.

  27. The Following User Says Thank You to Day-V For This Useful Post:


  28. #19
    Over the pond ballism's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Baltics (Europe)
    Posts
    2,427

    Default Re: The busted Mayo Deal / Paul George

    Quote Originally Posted by Day-V View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    This I agree with. I would've been more in favor of the trade had a quality big been included. The oft-reported J-Mac & 1st Rounder for Mayo, however, no thanks.
    Well it was reported as a three way with NOH sending back 2 players and a 1st. We will never know who those players were. NOH has a lot of cheap players that could have made that deal work, including 5 bigs at 2.5 mil or below.

  29. #20
    Pacer Pride, Colts Strong Kid Minneapolis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    4,373

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: The busted Mayo Deal / Paul George

    Randy Moss was also amazing before he experienced a decline... whereas Mayo was just... decent.

    That said, I don't disagree about change of scenery doing good, look what Jalen Rose did for us. But, let's not pretend that is a consistently repeatable scenario.

    Mayo has declined each year in the league. He has incidents quite frequently. He has all-world talent. It's just not gonna happen. We already have one of those guys in Lance Stephenson, let's keep it to one gamble at a time please.

    Besides, from everything we've read, we got canoodled by NO backing out of the deal at the last second, what are ya gonna do?
    There are two types of quarterbacks in the league: Those whom over time, the league figures out ... and those who figure out the league.

  30. The Following User Says Thank You to Kid Minneapolis For This Useful Post:


  31. #21
    Shooting for the Moon Day-V's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    SoBro
    Age
    25
    Posts
    4,307
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: The busted Mayo Deal / Paul George

    Quote Originally Posted by 90'sNBARocked View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    and his "ban" was for a sports drink
    He said it was an over-the-counter supplement at first.

  32. #22
    Member PR07's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    4,909

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: The busted Mayo Deal / Paul George

    Quote Originally Posted by Day-V View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    We are not the New England Patriots. We are the Houston Texans.
    That's not the point though. Just because a guy is not playing well in an organization where basketball goes to die and they rarely win anything, doesn't mean he couldn't succeed under the guidance of a future hall of famer (Bird) and a rising culture that is Pacers' Basketball.

    I mean the Grizzlies might be second in incompetence only to the Clippers when it comes to running an NBA organization. I don't put much stock into how a guy is performing there because I'm not sure if there is any set plan present.
    Last edited by PR07; 02-25-2011 at 09:57 AM.

  33. #23
    Over the pond ballism's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Baltics (Europe)
    Posts
    2,427

    Default Re: The busted Mayo Deal / Paul George

    Quote Originally Posted by PR07 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    That's not the point though. Just because a guy is not playing well in an organization where basketball goes to die and they rarely win anything, doesn't mean he couldn't succeed under the guidance of a future hall of famer (Bird) and a rising culture that is Pacers' Basketball.

    I mean the Grizzlies might be second in incompetence only to the Raptors when it comes to running an NBA organization. I don't put much stock into how a guy is performing there because I'm not sure if there is any set plan present.
    Off topic, but that future happened in 1998.

  34. #24
    Shooting for the Moon Day-V's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    SoBro
    Age
    25
    Posts
    4,307
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: The busted Mayo Deal / Paul George

    Quote Originally Posted by PR07 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    That's not the point though. Just because a guy is not playing well in an organization where basketball goes to die and they rarely win anything, doesn't mean he couldn't succeed under the guidance of a future hall of famer (Bird) and a rising culture that is Pacers' Basketball.
    My fear is that he wouldn't pay attention to Bird. I think he'd do much better around proven veterans like Tim Duncan in San Antonio, Kobe in L.A., or KG and Ray in Boston.

  35. #25

    Default Re: The busted Mayo Deal / Paul George

    [QUOTE=PR07;1178392]The problem I have is when people are acting like Mayo and George couldn't coexist. You can never have too much talent. If Wade and LeBron can coexist, I'm sure these two could've too. Right now, how many guys on this roster can create their own shot on a regular basis? Not many. At the very least, Mayo would've given us that.

    QUOTE]


    The thing is he doesn't create his own shot.Yes it was a strength coming out of higschool and College but it has not translated over in the NBA. I think the reason is he's not a great athlete, secondly he doesn't have that explosive first step that some of the other undersized two guards have that make them so good at attacking the rim.

    At this point in his career he has alot of trouble getting by his man and he's not considered a very a good one on one player.Alot of people who were so high on was mainly because they thought he could play pg in the NBA and potentially be a huge matchup problem but he can't play that spot and I don't think scouts see him as a elite talent anymore.

    He is a excellent shooter and a willing passer and there would have been a role on him for this team but I don't view him as starter on a team looking to win a championship.I think he could be a great 6th man.

Similar Threads

  1. Ok, I'm ready to see Paul George start now.
    By Anthem in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 91
    Last Post: 02-22-2011, 10:26 AM
  2. Paul George #9 in top 50 rookie ranking
    By Pacers2012 in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 02-10-2011, 07:59 AM
  3. DIME- Q&A w/ Paul George
    By hoops_guy in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-21-2011, 11:19 PM
  4. Replies: 12
    Last Post: 07-12-2010, 11:04 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •