Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: David Stern

B U T L E R..U a Bulldog!

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default David Stern

I don't get it completely. Why does he hate the Pacers? Or any small market team for that matter. When did he start screwing teams and can someone give me examples of him screwing teams? I just started watching the NBA in 2004 so I can't remember anything past then. This thread really is not related to today's trade more than that I want to hear about his past contrivercies if there were any.

Default Re: David Stern

We were involved in one of the worst brawls in American Sports History and put a huge black eye(pardon the pun) on the league.

However the NBA has always been like this lack of parity anyways.

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

It goes to way back before the brawl, for most folks it goes to the infamous "bent envelope" in the very first draft "lottery" (which just so happened to involve the Knicks and the Pacers).
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to BillS For This Useful Post:

He does not hate us. In fact I have always heard that David Stern and the Simons were and have always been really close.

And no he doesn't hate small market teams either.

Nor does Stern control who wins the games.

But I know there is nothing I can do to convince many of you otherwise.
    Last edited by Unclebuck; 02-25-2011 at 03:28 PM.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

These threads are getting more and more ridiculous. I think I'm going to take a break from PD for a few days, in hopes that when I come back things are somewhat more tolerable.
    Grown Man Ball

8. The Following User Says Thank You to SMosley21 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Pacersalltheway10 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I don't get it completely. Why does he hate the Pacers? Or any small market team for that matter. When did he start screwing teams and can someone give me examples of him screwing teams? I just started watching the NBA in 2004 so I can't remember anything past then. This thread really is not related to today's trade more than that I want to hear about his past contrivercies if there were any.
    we have been screwed by stern several times. the most obvious is the brawl. Detroit's player started the fight, Detroit's fans got out of line, Detroit's security did nothing to stop it, yet the Pacers players were the ones who got suspended for most if not all the season.

we have also been screwed in the lottery starting back in 1985 where Stern gave the number one pick to NY. Recently, we haven't moved up at all in the lottery, when big market teams like the Bulls jumped several spots and got the number one pick in 2008.

we have also been srewed by the officiating several times in the playoffs because Stern wanted the bigger market team to beat us.

Quote Originally Posted by Pacersalltheway10 View Post
    stern screwed Sacramento in 2002, and dallas in 2006 by making the officals call playoff games to favor the sexier teams.

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    But I know there is nothing I can do to convince any of you otherwise.
    You ... you ... you ...

poopyhead.
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BillS For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Stern screwed Sacramento sooo badly in 2002. I remember him tying Peja's shoes together late in game 7 as he was shooting those free throws he so badly bricked....

Because, when you go 16/30 from the FT line, it's the commissioner's fault.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Kstat For This Useful Post:

woman without a team

Quote Originally Posted by SMosley21 View Post
    These threads are getting more and more ridiculous. I think I'm going to take a break from PD for a few days, in hopes that when I come back things are somewhat more tolerable.
    You might want to wait until after the lockout is over. I don't see things getting any better before then...if then.

He does not hate us. In fact I have always heard that David Stern and the Simons were and have always been really close.

And no he doesn't hate small market teams either.

Nor does Stern control who wins the games.

But I know there is nothing I can do to convince many of you otherwise.
    The evidence points to the contrary.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Shade For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    Stern screwed Sacramento sooo badly in 2002. I remember him tying Peja's shoes together late in game 7 as he was shooting those free throws he so badly bricked....

Because, when you go 16/30 from the FT line, it's the commissioner's fault.
    No team ever plays a flawless game. That doesn't excuse blatant favoritism, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    No team ever plays a flawless game. That doesn't excuse blatant favoritism, though.
    expecting a team built on precise shooting to shoot better than %53 from the foul line in a game 7 is "flawless?"

As I've said before, if you're expecting absolute fairness in sports, you're looking in the wrong place.

The Kings had the series won. No, everything wasn't completely fair, but that doesn't mean the fix was in. They choked. End of story.

If that series wasn't fixed, then the refs were unbelievably incompetent.

It's the fact that nothing ever seems to change to fix what's so obviously broken that gets to me.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Shade For This Useful Post:

Nobody says the refs weren't unbelievably incompetent. But the Kings had a legitimate chance to win the series at home, bad calls or no bad calls. If they hit their FTs, nobody is talking about this series 9 years later. Everybody loves to put on their tin foil hat and cry conspiracy instead of just accepting reality.

The reality of life is that a lot of things are rigged. Money trumps all. And I've seen enough questionable activity in this league not to be able to just dismiss that possibility, especially when a reasonable motive exists.

I guess it could be worse...it could be the Big Ten.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Shade For This Useful Post:

If he treated his friends like that when he doled out brawl punishments I sure would've hated to see how he would've treated his enemies....
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

Having rewatched the entire Kings series, the fix was definitely in. I can't say who was pulling the strings. The 85' bent corner was a junior high magic show.

The NBA is great. I like the games, the teams, the history and the drama. That said, this sport is not pristine and I won't pretend otherwise.

Stern is a globalist. He would prefer that the league go international.

Why? Because it would bring in far, far more money.

This circumstance where there was a queue and we were 1 minute late is ridiculous. In other words the trade could have been emailed and the time would indicate before 3PM. Both teams could have emailed the nba simultaneously. Billionaire conglomerate using primitive technology and penalizing for a minute that was their own fault. That is crap.

Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    If that series wasn't fixed, then the refs were unbelievably incompetent.

It's the fact that nothing ever seems to change to fix what's so obviously broken that gets to me.
    and.... LJ for the 4pt play. See the end of Reggies "30 for 30". It's like that song "Everybody knows" by Leonard Cohen.

If you haven't heard it...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yG5e1oaen-M
    "He wanted to get to that money time. Time when the hardware was on the table. That's when Roger was going to show up. So all we needed to do was stay close"
    Darnell Hillman (Speaking of former teammate Roger Brown)

If Stern hated small markets, why do the Spurs have the best record in the league? And why have they been "allowed" to win 4 championships in the last 12 years?

When someone can explain that to me, then I'll believe there's a conspiracy.

Quote Originally Posted by speakout4 View Post
    This circumstance where there was a queue and we were 1 minute late is ridiculous. In other words the trade could have been emailed and the time would indicate before 3PM. Both teams could have emailed the nba simultaneously. Billionaire conglomerate using primitive technology and penalizing for a minute that was their own fault. That is crap.
    Simply an excuse for cold feet.

Quote Originally Posted by shags View Post
    If Stern hated small markets, why do the Spurs have the best record in the league? And why have they been "allowed" to win 4 championships in the last 12 years?

The only "conspiracy" I believe is that Stern would prefer to have more international teams. He wants the league to go global. If that means dumping teams like Cleveland or Sacremento to pickup London and Paris, that's a very good move in his opinion. So, this is less about targeting the small towns but more about making the NBA bigger....turning it into the IBA.

If you doubt that, read this quote:

'We have a product," boasts National Basketball Association Commissioner David Stern, "that is flat out global. We probably have 80 international players out of 430 in the league. And that's up dramatically. Our games are televised in 215 countries and in 43 languages. We have 15 television deals in China. It's amazing, but we actually now have more people watching games and more users of NBA.com outside the United States than within the United States."

Don't think he wants a team in China? Imagine the following. There are 5 times as many people there.

This is all about building an empire...

Quote Originally Posted by shags View Post

[tinfoilhat] So people like you will use that one team to refute every other small market team's complaints from here to eternity. Besides, David Stern can't bend all the envelopes and dent the ping pong balls every year. It'd be fishy. [/tinfoilhat]

In reality, I think the Spurs are successful because while they are a small market team, they are the only game in town, which helps tremendously. Also, they have the best front office/coaching staff in the league. When you've got sell-out crowds, a top 2 big for 15+ years, and a top-notch front office, you can win titles.

I do think that if you had swapped the Spurs for the Lakers right after drafting Tim Duncan, they'd have gone on a tear to rival Bill Russell's Celtics. I guess that means I believe the Spurs win in spite of the league, not because of it.

34. The Following User Says Thank You to Eindar For This Useful Post: