Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 168

Thread: I'm done.

  1. #1
    Our hero! GrangerRanger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Age
    29
    Posts
    951

    Default I'm done.

    Before you stop reading and think "Oh, what an over-reacting idiot," please at least try to hear me through here. I'll try to steer clear from all those old cliches "I'm no longer a fan posts," since this will be my official farewell to the 15 years of Pacer fandom.

    Today's skunked trade pretty much seals it for me. I'm a known pessimist, so maybe I'm over-reacting here, but my basic philosophy for this season was that we had the assets. We had the assets to make a trade at the deadline. Most people around the Pacers' fanbase would add an "or either nab a decent free agent in the off season" statement within that sentence, but I've come to the conclusion that's entirely impossible.

    David West, who is around thirty, is really going to leave the New Orleans Hornets (a winning franchise) for the Pacers (a perennial fringe team and most likely a first round sweep this year)? I mean, how optimistic can you get? Zach Randolph? I dislike him more then I do Mcroberts and his incredible ability to start at PF in the league and average back up stats. Nene is the only slight possibility and that's if we grossly overpay him.

    O.J. Mayo may not have been the solution to our team's troubles. Hell, he might have been a cancer that could have pushed this dying patient over the edge. Who the hell knows. Either way, he was something. We go into the final 20 games of this season with Brandon Rush at shooting guard, who after watching for 3 years I've finally decided I hate, and Josh McRoberts. Sweet lord god, thank you for the blessing of having such a fine and amazing talent as Josh. His ability to run the court well is unparalleled.

    We had the assets to get a deal done and didn't. Now, with Carmelo Anthony just nearing 27 with another All Star on his team in his prime, there is another team we have to fight. Miami? Three hall of famers in their primes locked up for the next five years. Chicago? Derrick Rose, Carlos Boozer, Noah for the next 3-4.

    I'm guessing Larry is expecting for us to be the 7th seed next year after the League Mandates that a majority of the Celtics team must retire because they've outlawed walkers and wheelchairs on the court.

    Either way it's bleak future, my friends. I can't go through another 5 years of bottom feeding. Anyone who tells me that this team is going to be in the Eastern Conference Finals against the Heat in 2-3 years either don't know basketball or is Larry Bird himself.

    So, yeah.. a crappy team to build around, an ever improving East, no trades in the year we needed to use assets, and a great chance of landing no one of any value in the off season without grossly overpaying them and screwing our team even worse for the future? So yeah..

    I'm done.

  2. The Following User Says Thank You to GrangerRanger For This Useful Post:


  3. #2

    Default Re: I'm done.

    Good riddance

  4. The Following 41 Users Say Thank You to dgranger17 For This Useful Post:

    + Show/Hide list of the thanked


  5. #3

    Default Re: I'm done.

    So basically you want them to make a deal for the sake of making a deal.

    And yes, you are severely overreacting. The team is in a very good place; plenty of promising talent (especially George), seemingly good chemistry, and lots of cap space for FLEXIBILITY (make the RIGHT deal, not ANY deal).

    And if you haven't noticed, this is Indiana. We can't make the superstar deals/trades because of finances and location. Expecting otherwise is ridiculous and you should probably just follow another team like Miami, LA, or NY.

  6. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to oxxo For This Useful Post:

    + Show/Hide list of the thanked


  7. #4
    Member DEEman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Netherlands
    Age
    32
    Posts
    508

    Default Re: I'm done.

    Sorry, but you are over-reacting. We have enough upsides to look at.
    Proud owner of 'Dutch Pacers'

  8. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to DEEman For This Useful Post:


  9. #5
    Member huber14's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    O-H-I-O
    Posts
    236

    Default Re: I'm done.


  10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to huber14 For This Useful Post:


  11. #6
    crazy shinaniganz BringJackBack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    7,351

    Default Re: I'm done.

    Two words bro: Paul George.

    Just try to hold on. I questioned my fandom too when the trade didn't go down. Larry is a terrible guy at the deadline but he picked us up Paul George, Roy Hibbert, Danny Granger, Darren Collison, and Lance Stephenson who we all really want to see. We also will have $20 million in cap space.

    You've stuck around this long, why not just see how this plays out?

    But I do agree, it does ****ing suck that Larry put his tail between his legs and folded for the third year in a row.

  12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BringJackBack For This Useful Post:


  13. #7
    Member presto123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Noblesville, IN.
    Posts
    3,215

    Default Re: I'm done.

    Don't let the door hit you where...... I'm so glad we have a psychic on here. You already know what all these young players will develop into. We don't need more drama here. I'm jumping up and down the trade didn't happen.

  14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to presto123 For This Useful Post:


  15. #8
    Member Trophy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Posts
    8,556

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: I'm done.

    Paul George.

  16. #9
    Droppin' knowledge, yo. Mackey_Rose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    The Dragon's Lair
    Posts
    4,102

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: I'm done.

    I agree with the quote in the first line of your post.

    But I would have forgone the word over-reacting.

  17. The Following User Says Thank You to Mackey_Rose For This Useful Post:


  18. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    In a Gym
    Age
    21
    Posts
    16,859
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: I'm done.

    The likely hood a small market team like us wins a title in the next 10 years is slim(minus OKC). The NBA needs to fix the system many fans are leaving for that very reason. Every year there are only a few teams who have a chance for a title. I hope the new CBA helps fix this major issue.

  19. #11
    Our hero! GrangerRanger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Age
    29
    Posts
    951

    Default Re: I'm done.

    I like how Paul George is the answer. He's the answer to the Miami Heat and the Knicks, both of which have players who were scoring near 20 points a game at the same age? Knicks have two and Heat have three.


    Right. Way to be a homer.

  20. The Following User Says Thank You to GrangerRanger For This Useful Post:


  21. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    In a Gym
    Age
    21
    Posts
    16,859
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: I'm done.

    Quote Originally Posted by Trophy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Paul George.
    Lebron James?
    Lebron James couldnt win it in clevlend. I dont think you can pin our hopes on him. 1 even elite star cant get it done by himself.

  22. The Following User Says Thank You to pacer4ever For This Useful Post:


  23. #13
    Member IndySDExport's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Durham/Chapel Hill, NC
    Posts
    876

    Default Re: I'm done.

    Quote Originally Posted by GrangerRanger View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

    O.J. Mayo may not have been the solution to our team's troubles. Hell, he might have been a cancer that could have pushed this dying patient over the edge. Who the hell knows. Either way, he was something.
    Why is a potentially botched trade for mayo this year the last straw?
    You said it yourself. He IS a cancer, one pumped on steroids from what it sounds like. It's a miracle this trade didn't go through.

    The wouldn't have made the pacers better. Use the assets? How is that useful if you get back a nut job who was benched by his own team in return?

    I think we have every reason to be optimistic and start enjoying this team again.

    We'll have incredible cap space heading into the CBA with a bunch of young tough players already on contract.

    If we can't get a great free agent this off-season then don't. Save the cap space and develop our guys who are clearly meshing together. The team is playing with heart and camaraderie again for the 1st time in years.

    You ask if we could be in the conference final in 2-3 years. Probably not, but no trade we were going to pull off this year was going to chance that.

    I'm just flabbergasted. We're 8-3 with Vogel. Playing exciting basketball and people are jumping off the fan wagon for us not blowing up the team...

  24. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to IndySDExport For This Useful Post:


  25. #14
    Member PR07's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    4,960

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: I'm done.

    Compared to where we were just two seasons ago, this is basketball heaven right now.

    It's a bummer a deal wasn't reached, but this is still team on the rise and a playoff team.

  26. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to PR07 For This Useful Post:


  27. #15
    How are you here? Kegboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Northside Bias
    Posts
    12,961

    Default Re: I'm done.

    I wasn't buying Seth's hoax theory, but now it all makes sense. Larry was desperately trying to get rid of this guy. Well played Mr. Bird, well played.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

  28. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Kegboy For This Useful Post:


  29. #16
    crazy shinaniganz BringJackBack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    7,351

    Default Re: I'm done.

    Quote Originally Posted by GrangerRanger View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I like how Paul George is the answer. He's the answer to the Miami Heat and the Knicks, both of which have players who were scoring near 20 points a game at the same age? Knicks have two and Heat have three.


    Right. Way to be a homer.
    Fun fact: Kobe Bryant averaged 8.5 points per game as a rookie.

    Fun fact: Paul George is averaging 8.1 points per game as a rookie.

    Fun fact: Miami has zero, ZERO, 0, cap space. They will get theirs though.

    Fun fact: The Knicks are the 6th seed right now and they play zero defense.

    Fun fact: We are 9-3 under Vogel and our roster won't peak for 3-4 years.

  30. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to BringJackBack For This Useful Post:


  31. #17

    Default Re: I'm done.

    Quote Originally Posted by GrangerRanger View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    rage post

    So yeah..

    I'm done.
    lmao...
    Thanks man that made my day.

    ragequit posts ftw.

  32. The Following User Says Thank You to PaceBalls For This Useful Post:


  33. #18
    Batman's New Side Kick Psyren's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    2,597

    Default Re: I'm done.

    I feel it's a slight overreaction.

    But I understand your point.

    Our expirings are now worthless. Be real, people. I highly doubt any big FA comes here. This is not a prime destination. And if they do, odds are we're grossly overpaying them, so we can return to the current state of salary cap hell.

    Finishing in 7th or 8th won't land you any good draft picks (in all likelihood).

    At least we have young talent to hope and pray for.

    For the sake of this franchise, I sure hope to hell Darren, Paul, AJ, Lance, Roy and the others turn out to be what we think they will be.

    Otherwise, we shall continue to float around in our own mediocrity.
    Stop quoting people I have on ignore!

  34. The Following User Says Thank You to Psyren For This Useful Post:


  35. #19
    Our hero! GrangerRanger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Age
    29
    Posts
    951

    Default Re: I'm done.

    Quote Originally Posted by BringJackBack View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Fun fact: Kobe Bryant averaged 8.5 points per game as a rookie.

    Fun fact: Paul George is averaging 8.1 points per game as a rookie.

    Fun fact: Miami has zero, ZERO, 0, cap space. They will get theirs though.

    Fun fact: The Knicks are the 6th seed right now and they play zero defense.

    Fun fact: We are 9-3 under Vogel and our roster won't peak for 3-4 years.
    Paul George is averging 8.0 points behind crap competition at 20. Kobe Bryant was 17-18 behind better talent.

    No comparison there.

  36. The Following User Says Thank You to GrangerRanger For This Useful Post:


  37. #20
    Member Pacertron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Maine
    Age
    30
    Posts
    137

    Default Re: I'm done.

    Why are you expecting Indiana to keep pace with the Heat, Celtics and Knicks? That will never ever ever happen because we cannot bring superstars here we have to raise them from within and through good drafts. If that's what you have been waiting for here than you should have left a long time ago. Being a 'fan' doesn't mean throwing a hissy fit when your small market team can't compete and bring in the big names that the big market teams bring in. Go buy a Lebron jersey so you have something to feel happy about.

    I on the otherhand, like real Pacers fans, am excited to see this team we have built continue to grow and try to pull upsets against the powerhouses. Only one team a year can win the title, being a fan is about a lot more than an all or nothing mentality. I am completely relieved this trade did not go through.

  38. #21

    Default Re: I'm done.

    I don't know why some of you are upset. There's going to be a lockout next year and once they get the new CBA done all small market franchises will be erased from history.

  39. #22
    Pacer Pride, Colts Strong Kid Minneapolis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    4,517

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: I'm done.

    Woo, trade deadline = Chicken Little Day.
    There are two types of quarterbacks in the league: Those whom over time, the league figures out ... and those who figure out the league.

  40. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Kid Minneapolis For This Useful Post:


  41. #23
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    In a Gym
    Age
    21
    Posts
    16,859
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: I'm done.

    Quote Originally Posted by BringJackBack View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Fun fact: Kobe Bryant averaged 8.5 points per game as a rookie.

    Fun fact: Paul George is averaging 8.1 points per game as a rookie.

    Fun fact: Miami has zero, ZERO, 0, cap space. They will get theirs though.

    Fun fact: The Knicks are the 6th seed right now and they play zero defense.

    Fun fact: We are 9-3 under Vogel and our roster won't peak for 3-4 years.
    Miami will get stronger every year they have the MLE every year. Good players will want to take a slight discount to play in Miami.

  42. #24
    Fat, Drunk and Stupid Lord Helmet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Richmond, IN
    Age
    24
    Posts
    15,577

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: I'm done.

    Nice job to roll over and die. That's what the Heat/Knicks/Celtics/Bulls want.
    Super Bowl XLI Champions
    2000 Eastern Conference Champions





  43. #25
    Member Trophy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Posts
    8,556

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: I'm done.

    Quote Originally Posted by pacer4ever View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Lebron James?
    Lebron James couldnt win it in clevlend. I dont think you can pin our hopes on him. 1 even elite star cant get it done by himself.
    Don't be putting words into my mouth.

    We know this team needs more going forward and we do have good pieces.
    Last edited by Trophy; 02-24-2011 at 06:31 PM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •