Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who Finishes?

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Who Finishes?

.......so let me get this straight.....

....you can't bear play to Jax at the beginning....

....you cant bear to play Jax at the end.....

So someone tell me why you traded for him? Is Jackson going to be "Mr. 2nd qtr?"

The amount of people clinging on to Reggie Miller on this board is insane.....

Hey, you want to kill your season by giving extended PT to a 39-year old SG, be my guest.....I just don't understand it. Even in Detroit we were all in agreement that Dumars needed to be benched near the end of his career, and Joe was only 36......

At some point, you have to ask wether its more important to watch the old man struggle through another season, or to win more games. He's only going to get worse every year, people. You don't suddenly get better when you get close to 40.

The real joke is that reggie is by all rights your THIRD-best SG, and he still gets more support than the two guys behind him.

"Remember why" could take on a whole new meaning this year....
    [edit=64=1095743676][/edit]
    [edit=64=1095743882][/edit]

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

Default Hold up there

Quote Originally Posted by Kstat
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Maybe if you had a player of his caliber on your team and in a similar situation, you'd be the same way.

Them's fightin' words.

Default Re: Hold up there

Quote Originally Posted by MSA2CF
    Maybe if you had a player of his caliber on your team and in a similar situation, you'd be the same way.
    umm...

. Even in Detroit we were all in agreement that Dumars needed to be benched near the end of his career, and Joe was only 36......
    Did you not read that?

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Miller is holding this team back. Not only do I think he shouldn't start, I don't think he should play! We have 2 shooting guards that are better, and play much better defense. The only purpose I can think of for Miller being on this team is his clutch shooting. Now we have Stephen Jackson, who is very clutch, so why is Miller still here?! We, the Pacers fan, are suppose to owe him this much. Ok, how about we allow him to stay on the team, but as an assistant or a towel boy?! why don't he play 5 minutes a game and then stay away? This team is poised for a Championship run, and Miller is the only thing holding them back.

Quote Originally Posted by homedoggie
    Miller is holding this team back. Not only do I think he shouldn't start, I don't think he should play! We have 2 shooting guards that are better, and play much better defense. The only purpose I can think of for Miller being on this team is his clutch shooting. Now we have Stephen Jackson, who is very clutch, so why is Miller still here?! We, the Pacers fan, are suppose to owe him this much. Ok, how about we allow him to stay on the team, but as an assistant or a towel boy?! why don't he play 5 minutes a game and then stay away? This team is poised for a Championship run, and Miller is the only thing holding them back.
    As depressing of a picture that paints of Reggie, sadly it's not too far from the truth. Jackson should start over him, and Fred is a fine backup SG, who at this point would probably bring more to the table as well. (Defense, slashing, passing, and now he's developing a decent shot)

Despite how sucky it is to say in a historical sense, we may be better off without Reggie playing, and just going with Jackson and Fred. The only way I could see that NOT being the best solution, is if Jackson just totally flops in Indiana, which I really have to doubt.

This IMO is a much more important and interestig question than who starts.

I don't know who finishes. But I do not that Jax will get more minutes than Reggie, I think we all can agree with that.

I wonder if a lineup like this might be used from time to time

Tinsley, Reggie, Jax, Artest, J.O.

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck

That's exactly the lineup I woudl use, especially on the offensive end if were tied or down a few.

Defensively Reggie comes out, but Carlisle already put taht into effect last year. On a play to play basis when you can sub (i.e. Timeout or intentional fouling) then Reggie always came out when they were on defense and went in on offense. There is no reason why that should change.

Reggie is still a better SG than Freddie Jones. Freddie Jones is a solid player, but will never amount to anything past backup SG regardless of what team he plays on or how much experience he has. (unless he gets traded to the bobcats this year).

This team with or without Stephen Jackson, still lacks perimeter firepower. Reggie has again for the umpteenth time hit over 100 3s last year at a very solid percentage. Theres no reason why taht will or should change. Reggie miller, with or without Stephen Jackson, is the best perimeter shooter on the team, and the best clutch bomber on the team. Need a 2? go to JO. Need a 3? Sure if Jackson has to take it, I wont be upset, but Reggie still needs to be that first option to take that last shot.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Skipper, I also think that lineup will see some court time.

But I totally disagree with you on Freddie. He's not quite to Reggie's level yet, primarily due to "consistency". But he is one of the better defensive SGs, and as many have pointed out, the last half of the season Freddie's perimeter shot really started coming around.

With more consistency in his mid-range and perimeter shooting, I could see Freddie as a capable starter for many teams, including the Pacers.

It would just give the Pacers more versatility, possibly sliding SJAX to SF and Artest to PF and JO to C against smaller lineups.

As for starting and finishing, I also think it is far more important to this team who is on the court at crunch time.

And my answer between SJAX and Reggie would be that you play whoever has the hot hand at SG. If both are hot, then slide SJAX to SF and Ron to PF.

Or, if necessary, switch out your lineup depending on whether your on the offensive end or defensive end.

But definitely ride the players that are putting the ball in the basket.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by SkipperZ
    Reggie is still a better SG than Freddie Jones. Freddie Jones is a solid player, but will never amount to anything past backup SG regardless of what team he plays on or how much experience he has. (unless he gets traded to the bobcats this year).
    In the interest of civility, I will say that your comment is "misguided". If I wasn't being so civil, I'd probably say it was retarded, ignorant, or downright stupid.

Offical Thread Killer TheSauceMaster's Avatar
    Mood

I would say there is a good chance this will happen in close games at the end , Infact I hope if it's close they will explore that Lineup Option.

Even though I don't think Reggie should Start , I do think if the Games on the Line with under 2mins to go , Reggie Has to be in the Lineup, but he also has to be willing to take the shot also. I seen to many times last year reggie hesitate to take the shots he would have never passed up before.

If Ronnie were traded for a starting quality big, the above small line-up for the end of games wouldn't be a problem...

Just a thought.

You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

Mr. Kstat, I made my post many hours ago and my memory fails me when it comes to whether or not your original post up there had the part about Dumars. If you had that in your original post, I apologize, but I still feel the same way.

I actually like this lineup better

Tinsley
    Jackson
    Artest
    Bender
    J.O.

Tinsley
    Jackson
    Artest
    Bender
    J.O.

Sports Logo

Depends on the version of Bender we get. If it is the Bender that showed up for 15 minutes of that Kings game then yes. If it is the Bender who got injured after 15 minutes then no.

Tinsley
    Jackson
    Artest
    Bender
    J.O.
    Same here.

I like this better:

Jackson
    Miller
    Mullin
    Davis
    Smits

That Kings game was a great game.

I was loving it, every minute of it, except for the part where we lost.

I prefer:

Fleming
    Long
    Person
    Tisdale
    Herb

I prefer

Tinsley
    Miller
    Artest
    O'neal
    Foster

Blast from the past, huh?

Tinsley
    Miller
    Artest
    O'Neal
    Miller

was nice also

sweabs

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks
    Tinsley
    Miller
    Artest
    O'Neal
    Miller

was nice also
    Hicks.....
    Don't start them now!

Pollard>Miller.

Brad will never be an all-star in the west, you'll see.....

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I prefer:

Fleming
    Long
    Person
    Tisdale
    Herb
    Herb was the PF, Stipo started at center in 1986-87 and 1987-88. Tisdale was almost never a starter in Indiana, and Herb didn't start at C, but if he didn't commit five TOs in the first six minutes (admittedly, he usually had the five TOs in the first three minutes), then might slide over to C when Tisdale would check in.

Chuckle all you want, but that starting lineup wasn't too bad. We had no depth, mind you. Well, in the second year we had a young, loudmouthed rookie shooting guard that would disappear in the fourth quarter. And with Dr. Jack and Dick Harter on the sidelines, those were easily the best-coached Pacers' teams of the 1980s. Yes, I realize that isn't saying much.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you