Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Why Brandon Rush starting is a tragedy affecting the success of this team

Default Why Brandon Rush starting is a tragedy affecting the success of this team

It's pretty simple. If Indiana is every going to compete they are depending on Paul George turning into an all star. If he never turns into an all star then of course we'll continue to hover around .500, hoping to land another good pick.

The best way to develop players, just as every all star ever has been, is to put them in the starting lineup, give them the ball and allow them to do what they do best, and improve in the process.

This is why Rush starting will severely stunt the growth of the Pacers. Rush now starting under Vogel will with out a doubt play good or solid. This will lead to him keeping the starting job for at least the next 3 years or so. Vogel will continue to argue PG works best with the second squad (whatever that means- I'm sorry, you play your best players... period, it's a simple concept) causing the Pacers to hover around .500 for the next few years.

This is depressing.

Frankly, PG has to start, and Lance needs and opportunity to play right behind him and develop into a future contributor.
    Last edited by mattie; 02-23-2011 at 07:58 PM.

Default Re: Why Brandon Rush starting is a tragedy affecting the success of this team

A little faith in the coach that has turned this franchise around is warranted.

3. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to judicata For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Default Re: Why Brandon Rush starting is a tragedy affecting the success of this team

Quote Originally Posted by mattie View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It's pretty simple. If Indiana is every going to compete they are depending on Paul George turning into an all star. If he never turns into an all star then of course we'll continue to hover around .500, hoping to land another good pick.

The best way to develop players, just as every all star ever has been, is to put them in the starting lineup, give them the ball and allow them to do what they do best, and improve in the process.

This is why Rush starting will severely stunt the growth of the Pacers. Rush now starting under Vogel will with out a doubt play good or solid. This will lead to him keeping the starting job for at least the next 3 years or so. Vogel will continue to argue PG works best with the second squad (whatever that means- I'm sorry, you play your best players... period, it's a simple concept) causing the Pacers to hover around .500 for the next few years.

This is depressing.

Frankly, PG has to start, and Lance needs and opportunity to play right behind him and develop into a future contributor.
    Soooooo...the Rushleavy era has started then?

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Wow. I think this is a a major overreaction. No way can we project years down the line at this point.

If Brandon plays as well as everyone else under Vogel most of us would be very happy. This doesn't have to be Rush vs. George, especially since both guys can play SF minutes. If Brandon does well it'll be George and Rush as far as I am concerned.
    Last edited by gummy; 02-23-2011 at 08:24 PM.
    "Freedom is nothing else but a chance to be better." - Albert Camus

"Appreciation is a wonderful thing. It makes what is excellent in others belong to us as well." - Voltaire

Michael Pina, Red94: "There are so many different ways the Pacers can beat you. They have an All-Star scoring threat, imposing figures on the front line, steady point guard play, and most importantly, a defense that'll choke the life out of just about every offense that crosses its path."

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to gummy For This Useful Post:

Twitter: @SuprCityIndyFan PacerGuy's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Sorry I think you are wrong.
    -Rush deserves to show what he can do w/o JO'B (like many have!)
    -Paul needs minutes, but doesn't need presure & needs time to grow.
    -This move does not mess w/ a productive 2nd unit, & is familuar to the 1st.
    -This does not affect Lance at all.
    "Larry Bird: You are Officially On the Clock! (3/24/08)"
    (Watching You Like A Hawk!)

8. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to PacerGuy For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Unlike Dunleavy....you are aware that BRush is still going to be on the roster for the near future ( barring any trade )?

Until he's traded...he's part of this core...I think that we'd have to figure out how to integrate him into the lineup as much as there is a need to see what PG and Lance can do.

For now...for his rookie season....I have ZERO problem with PG playing in the Goon Squad while BRush is inserted into the Starting lineup. If anything....I'd think that it would promote more consistency as PG has primarily played well with the Goon Squad ( a very effective and cohesive group ) and BRush has played more with Granger/Hibbert/DC in the Starting lineup prior to the Vogel era.

As long as PG is getting 24 mpg....I'm cool with it for this season.

If there is anything that one can complain about it would be playing Inferno ahead of Lance....not that BRush ( a more experienced Player ) is Starting ahead of PG...much less Lance.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to CableKC For This Useful Post:

B U T L E R..U a Bulldog!

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by QuickRelease View Post
    Soooooo...the Rushleavy era has started then?
    Nah. It looks like dunleavy is done playing as a pacer.

This probably is an overreaction. I'm severely disappointed PG didn't start, which is probably causing me to lose the ability to think rationally for the moment.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to mattie For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

This probably is an overreaction. I'm severely disappointed PG didn't start, which is probably causing me to lose the ability to think rationally for the moment.
    He'll get his chance....no need to rush into things. If you want to get upset about something...complain when Lance gets no minutes when we are winning or losing in a blow-out game.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Quote Originally Posted by Pacersalltheway10 View Post
    Nah. It looks like dunleavy is done playing as a pacer.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I think Rush just needs to put it together and make it happen. Lance is going to get his opportunity. Larry cut him a break after his run-in with the law so that shows something.

http://twitter.com/#!/MikeWellsNBA/s...57966700584960

Quote Originally Posted by Wells
    Vogel decided against starting Paul George because he wants to keep the 2nd unit, which has been their best unit at times, together.

18. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Swish For This Useful Post:

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gummy View Post
    Wow. I think this is a a major overreaction
    Ya think.

Sheesh. Then again 6 posts in so not worth getting uptight about I guess.

George is getting his minutes, that's all anyone should ask. The problem with JOB was ZERO PT and lots of negative crap, as well as not working a lot off of Roy. No one from the area of thinking I was part of was saying that all the kids need 36 minutes.

What we wanted is what Vogel is doing, minus Dun over Rush. Some kids start or see starter minutes, the rest are getting solid minutes off the bench. They all have pretty well defined roles so that they have an anchor to develop from.

Right now George and Tyler come off the bench as the scoring punch, and that works great.

Oh, and Rush for the F bomb dunk to give you the one point lead at the end of the game = tragic.

Come on, step up your fan game already and learn the sport.

20. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Naptown_Seth For This Useful Post:

Brandon Rush, game winning shot...

This was a very unfortunate ending to this game for you, topic creator.

23. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Swish For This Useful Post:

Rooting My Family 2 Glory CooperManning's Avatar

I totally agree that Brandon Rush is affecting the success of this team...

25. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to CooperManning For This Useful Post:

hahaha Hey I'll do this every night lol if that means Rush is going to slam home the game winner!

27. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mattie For This Useful Post:

LOL @ "tragedy"
    Quote Originally Posted by naptownmenace View Post
    Plumlee reminds me of a young Dale Davis. Good rebounding and he contests shots well on defense and his offensive game is very raw just like DD's was coming out of college.
    "If my answers frighten you, then you should cease asking scary questions."

Hey PG is clearly better than Rush so I don't think it is crazy saying he needs to get the start and more minutes. Especially since no one outside of Indiana would say Rush should start.

Pacers probably would have won a little more comfortably with PG starting, and closing. (on the offensive side)

hahaha Hey I'll do this every night lol if that means Rush is going to slam home the game winner!
    Proud owner of 'Dutch Pacers'

31. The Following User Says Thank You to DEEman For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by DEEman View Post
    [IMG]http://gadgetsteria.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/facepalm.jpg[MG]
    You know Dunleavy had a game winner earlier this season as well... Does that mean we all miss him starting? You aren't really that dense are you?

I mean I get it, as long as Vogel eventually put's PG in the starting lineup, no later than the start of next season there is no issue. It's not that big of a deal. But PG is much better than Rush, he should start, and nearly every single coach in the NBA would have PG in the starting line up right now.

We are winning, we are finally testing Rush in a normal situation ( coach that has confidence in the team, different tactic that suits Rush more) and we are developing PG now. What else do you need? And having a scorer from the bench is a important one for me 2. Our bench is not irrelevant!

So just at least support it for a while, or at least try to see some positive things in a starting Rush.
    Proud owner of 'Dutch Pacers'

I don't see what's so wrong with this thread. Mattie stated his point clearly and respectfully. He didn't say Brandon Rush was horrible, nor did he suggest that he shouldn't ever finish games. In fact, the original poster assumed Brandon would play well enough to keep the starter's role - which is something that I actually hope is the case. If Paul George is the better player, he will eventually start - whether that's next week, month or season is anyone's guess. And even if he doesn't, he'll get enough quality minutes (as he has lately) to develop into whatever he is to become. I understand your concerns, but I don't share them. At least not when it's Rush - another guy who we really don't know what he can fully do yet - in front of him.

I'm an avid Rush basher, but I've said it time and time again. He needs to be starting.

George is the better player. I don't find that debatable.

But Rush needs to start. That doesn't mean he needs to finish games always. With Dun out, Rush will likely be the starter, and that's fine by me.

I want PG off the bench because he is the better player. He adds extra spark and helps get things going. Rush works best when he's not being counted on to do much (nice role, huh?) but that's a fact. If he comes off the bench and has to be counted on to do something, chances are he won't. He's not that player.

George will get his chance someday. But right now, we need PG's spark off the bench. And having Rush's defense with the first unit, and occasional basket here and there are important to that first unit.
    Stop quoting people I have on ignore!

36. The Following User Says Thank You to Psyren For This Useful Post:

I get the argument and while I disagree, it is certainly not a bad way to go about things, especially to end this season.

The second unit is definitely a huge reason for the recent success. Also, like everyone has said, as long as PG gets his 24 minutes every night he should progress just fine.