Thread: What's behind the jump in NBA TV Ratings?

Default What's behind the jump in NBA TV Ratings?

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/colum...increase_N.htm

What's behind jump in NBA's TV ratings?
    By Michael Hiestand, USA TODAYUpdated 36m ago |
    2 | 4ShareReprints & PermissionsOutside the almighty NFL, mainstream sports usually need gifts from the gods — the emergence, say, of Michael Jordan or Tiger Woods— to get big across-the-board TV ratings jumps.

Sports TelevisionBy Michael Hiestand

By Rob Schumacher, The Arizona Republic
    TNT's NBA ratings in Oklahoma City are up 150% this season, thanks in part to Thunder forward Kevin Durant.
    EnlargeCloseBy Rob Schumacher, The Arizona Republic
    TNT's NBA ratings in Oklahoma City are up 150% this season, thanks in part to Thunder forward Kevin Durant.
    So what's going on with the NBA? At midseason, its ratings are up 26% on TNT and 15% on ESPN— and, albeit in a smaller sample, up 32% on ABC. Even in its proven bastions, ratings are jumping: TNT's ratings in Boston are up 50%, while ESPN is up 39% in Los Angeles.

The intuitive answer is that LeBron James' less-than-low-key announcement he was bestowing his talents on Miami created a mid-summer buzz — as ESPN parachuted into the Heat's training camp — when the NBA usually doesn't generate much yak.

At the local level, James' migration created just a ratings hiccup. In Miami, TNT's ratings are up 65% and up 27% on ESPN. But that's pretty much a wash, given NBA ratings in Cleveland are off 23% and down 38% on TNT — not surprisingly, TNT's biggest drop among all NBA cities.

While NBA ratings are hardly enormous — TNT 's games average just 1.5% of U.S. households, ESPN averages 1.3% — the league's ratings roll goes well beyond any halo effect from the Heat.

Leagues always talk about how their young stars will bolster fan interest. But in Oklahoma City's Kevin Durant and Minnesota's Kevin Love, that's happening. In Oklahoma City, TNT's ratings are up 150% — its biggest ratings jump among NBA cities — while ESPN's 59% hike in the Twin Cities constitutes its biggest boost among NBA cities.

Having good teams in some big markets also helps — both ESPN and TNT ratings are up 30% in Chicago — as does having a not-horrible team in New York. And networks will no doubt try to turn Carmelo Anthony's trade to the Knicks into a ratings booster rocket. TBS, TNT's corporate cousin, just happened on Monday to have Anthony and Knicks star Amar'e Stoudemire, separately, on its Conan O'Brien and George Lopez shows.

And then, there's ratings luck: ESPN Sunday has Knicks-Heat (8 p.m. ET) — which ESPN might hype just a tad.

Mood

Default Re: What's behind the jump in NBA TV Ratings?

I don't know how it is elsewhere, but it was right around the start of the season that Comcast made NBATV available for whatever my package level is. And in in HD, no less. Prior to that, I could only get standard def NBATV, and only then if I either bought a special sports pack or if I got NBA League Pass.

Twitter: @SuprCityIndyFan PacerGuy's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Tickets too highly priced, parking sucks, & it's easier to stay home & drink a 12pk for the cost of a 22oz'er @ the game.
    "Larry Bird: You are Officially On the Clock! (3/24/08)"
    (Watching You Like A Hawk!)

It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

ESPN's coverage of the NBA is horrific.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Major Cold For This Useful Post:

Well, let me see if we can ever get to the bottom of this. let me think long and hard. Nothing, I got nothing.

Oh wait, maybe it is the most obvious answer. The basektball has been really good this season and there are a lot of really good storylines across the NBA.

Yeah that is it

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Let's look at it the way the NBA will - one Superteam bumped the ratings like this, if we go to 4-5 of them and trash the rest of the league it'll be even better.
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

Mood

I'll say one reason NBA TV is getting such good ratings, is that they've started offering it to more people. I think Hicks said earlier that they started offering it for Comcast, and as a U-Verse user I know they started offering it for us back when the season started.

Plus, the coverage is excellent.

Quote Originally Posted by BillS View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Let's look at it the way the NBA will - one Superteam bumped the ratings like this, if we go to 4-5 of them and trash the rest of the league it'll be even better.
    I might not understand your point.

But what explains the huge increases for the Allstar Saturday night and All star game Sunday night. The same players as last year in the allstar game - I doubt Blake Griffin is that much of a draw. The fact that Bosh and Lebron and Wade are all on the same team shouldn't increases the Allstar ratings

People enjoy greatness and there are several great teams in the nba right now. Over the past few years the league has been watered down with mediocre teams compared to the 80s and 90s. I thought it made for better competition. But america likes to see 3-5 amazing teams and 20 really bad ones.

Mood

IDK about you guys, but I'll watch NBA TV even if it's Portland vs Sacramento at 10:30PM.

I just like watching basketball, and that's why I love that channel. Get to watch other NBA games that I normally haven't been able to do before.

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I might not understand your point.

But what explains the huge increases for the Allstar Saturday night and All star game Sunday night. The same players as last year in the allstar game - I doubt Blake Griffin is that much of a draw. The fact that Bosh and Lebron and Wade are all on the same team shouldn't increases the Allstar ratings

You make a good point. But the fact of the matter is more people are watching basketball this year. There is more drama. People enjoy drama and good teams, when they start watching more they start watching more of the festivities as well.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to dohman For This Useful Post:

Banned

NBATV is free. Hence the ratings jump. No longer do you need League Pass to have NBA TV.