Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: So I guess Danny's never going to work for the Indiana Department of Tourism.....

Default Re: So I guess Danny's never going to work for the Indiana Department of Tourism.....

Quote Originally Posted by PacerGuy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The message is spot on, his wording is not
    This x1,000

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: So I guess Danny's never going to work for the Indiana Department of Tourism.....

Quote Originally Posted by naptownmenace View Post
    I agree with Danny. However, I'm going to look at this from another angle.

Since NY, Miami, Chicago, and Boston have amassed so much talent, they will not have the cap space in the future or the desire to pursue an All-Star free agent. If the Pacers, Bucks, Hornets, or Pistons are the only teams offering max contracts... good free agents (at least the ones concerned with getting the most money) will sign with them.

Is NY, Miami, or Chicago going to go after David West or Nene this summer if they opt out and become Free Agents? I seriously doubt it considering they will be over the cap (most likely) when the new CBA is created. Also, with Amare, Bosh, and Boozer + Noah already in their collective folds, why would they pursue them?

This is why it is very important for the Pacers to make the playoffs this season and make their presence felt while they are there. The entire league - players and their agents in particular - will be watching. If they look like an up and coming perennial playoff team, that will certainly help their case when the Free Agent negotiating period begins.
    Great point. But we have way more competition that you think. Boston is down to 27 million in 2012, Dallas is down to 38 in 2012, Houston is down to 41 next year, 33 in 2012, and the Clippers are going to be under 20 million in 2012. Those are all teams whose payrolls will be cut in half by then, as of right now. Also, NJ still has cap space as well.

Our time is now.

Some of you guys don't like what Danny said, but I look at it like Danny feels loyal to the team and isn't going to pull a LeMelo on the Pacers, and I love him for that. What he is talking about with the players demanding where they can go is very scary for a club like the Pacers. What if All-Star Paul George demands a trade in 3 years because he wants to be a Laker... That would really hurt. The NBA needs a franchise tag or something.

All in all though, Indy isn't so bad, Fishers is rated in the top 10 places to live in the USA, but it is cold and it certainly isn't south beach where the all the young people want to go party.

I am always interested in what athletes are looking for in the city where they play. I mean - they need to live there during the winter months, and Indy is not a fun city when the weather gets cold. But as a place to buy things, pay taxes, put kids into schools, and be worshipped, Indy is a great place to put down roots 9 months a year. No traffic, centrally located, and its nice neighborhoods are really nice.

Reggie Miller had this concept down to a science - he treated Hoosiers like they were his 'home' when he was in season, then he moved to L.A. when it was off season. Same with Peyton, right? That's all an athlete has to do during his 10-15 year career. For purposes of what an athlete needs (particularly if family is involved), I don't know how the mid-sized city isn't a better option.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to MTM For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Mackey_Rose View Post
    Not at all.

But I don't know why it needed to be said.

It just comes off as petty and whiny to me.
    yea, just kinda sounds like me whining after teams get divvied up in a pick up game and don't seem fair.

just play and get paid dude.

Pacer Pride, Colts Strong Kid Minneapolis's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo

I agree with Danny under standard circumstances (ie. success). You build a good team through the draft and smart FA moves and develop a consistently winning environment and players will come to you. We were attracting good veteran players in the late-90s willing to play for a chance at a title.
    There are two types of quarterbacks in the league: Those whom over time, the league figures out ... and those who figure out the league.