Thread: Alex Etherington (Hamilton Heights HS) temporarily paralyzed after nasty fall

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Alex Etherington (Hamilton Heights HS) temporarily paralyzed after nasty fall

http://aol.sportingnews.com/sport/st...being-undercut

An Indiana high school basketball player was temporarily paralyzed after he was undercut by an opposing player on a breakaway dunk.

The Indianapolis Star reports Hamilton Heights High School sophomore Alex Etherington spent Saturday night in a Fort Wayne hospital after suffering a serious concussion and temporary paralysis following the incident, which happened early in his team's 58-56 win at Peru.
    An Indiana high school basketball player is temporarily paralyzed after being undercut by an opposing player on a breakaway dunk.

He also had a small amount of bleeding on the frontal lobe of his brain, the Star reports.

Etherington, a 6-5 sophomore, lost control in the air after he was pushed from behind by Peru's Josh Hobson under the basket following the dunk, which sent Etherington flying to the floor, the paper reports. His head hit the the floor hard, and he was taken out on a stretcher.

Hobson was called for an intentional foul on the play, the Kokomo (Ind.) Perspective reports.

"The scariest part was that he had temporary paralysis," Brett Etherington, Alex's father, told the Star. "He couldn't move anything. But once he could start to move his arms and legs, we knew it wasn't as bad as it could have been."

He is expected to miss the rest of the season.
    *VIDEO NOT FOR THE SQUEAMISH*

Grown Man Ball

Default Re: Alex Etherington (Hamilton Heights HS) temporarily paralyzed after nasty fall

Foul was dirty as hell, they need to suspend that kid.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to idioteque For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Alex Etherington (Hamilton Heights HS) temporarily paralyzed after nasty fall

Quote Originally Posted by idioteque View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Foul was dirty as hell, they need to suspend that kid.
    Without question. I haven't heard anything about him being suspended yet. I say he needs kicked off the team.
    Grown Man Ball

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SMosley21 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by SMosley21 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Without question. I haven't heard anything about him being suspended yet. I say he needs kicked off the team.
    I completely agree. Get that kid off the floor for good. Absolutely sickening that he would pull that.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to redfoster For This Useful Post:

On the first play of the game too. Not just dirty in the sense that it was dumb, but it almost seems pre-meditated.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

That was the first play of the game? If the ref didn't immediately toss that kid he should be ashamed of himself.

That was the very first score of the game for either team. Happened about 90 seconds in IIRC. Dunno if that kid got tossed, just know that he picked up a flagrant, I know Austin Etherington (Alex's older bro, a senior, and an IU commit) picked up a technical for his reaction to the play. (Personally, I hope he tried to put that Peru kid on his ***)
    Last edited by Trader Joe; 03-07-2011 at 09:27 AM.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

Play McRoberts and Price! BRushWithDeath's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

That foul reminded me a lot of the foul Hansbrough had on Courtney Lee the other night. Fortunately Lee was able to catch himself better than Etherington.
    "I had to take her down like Chris Brown."

-Lance Stephenson

One very cool part of this game was that Austin Etherington actually hit the game winner late in the game.
    Grown Man Ball

It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Mood

I am an alumni of Heights. And I am just glad that their program is better than when Bowen was there. Simply horrible coach.