View Poll Results: Will TJ get a buyout?

Voters
53. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes

    11 20.75%
  • no

    42 79.25%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 39

Thread: will TJ get a buyout ?

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    In a Gym
    Age
    22
    Posts
    16,880
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default will TJ get a buyout ?

    MikeWellsNBA Mike Wells
    There's a good chance that the Pacers will offer T.J. Ford a buyout if they don't trade him by the deadline next week.
    ?

    MikeWellsNBA Mike Wells
    Ford likely won't accept buyout unless he can get his money back by signing with another team. He rejected Pacers buyout offer last summer

  2. #2
    Play McRoberts and Price! BRushWithDeath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Johnson's Bay, Lake Wawasee
    Age
    28
    Posts
    5,357

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: will TJ get a buyout ?

    Only if the Pacers offer his full amount. And I don't blame him for that.
    "I had to take her down like Chris Brown."

    -Lance Stephenson

  3. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to BRushWithDeath For This Useful Post:


  4. #3
    Stay focused SMosley21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Going the distance
    Age
    31
    Posts
    2,534

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: will TJ get a buyout ?

    Quote Originally Posted by BRushWithDeath View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Only if the Pacers offer his full amount. And I don't blame him for that.
    He has every right to demand every penny he was promised. The Pacers expect him to live up to his contract when they traded for him, he should expect the team to live up to their end too. A buyout would do nothing for us but free up a roster spot anyway at this point so I could care less if they do it or not, if he's not traded.
    Grown Man Ball

  5. The Following User Says Thank You to SMosley21 For This Useful Post:


  6. #4
    I have a Member xBulletproof's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    4,671

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: will TJ get a buyout ?

    Quote Originally Posted by BRushWithDeath View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Only if the Pacers offer his full amount. And I don't blame him for that.
    Not full, but close. Just throwing random numbers out there, but if he would make $300,000 on league minimum for the rest of the season somewhere else, I'd take that amount off my salary and tell the Pacers I'll take that dollar amount and no less. That way he makes exactly the same amount for the year, but gets a chance to play. Then he has a chance to earn more next year on his next contract.

    Pacers save a little money, and Ford gets a chance to earn himself a bigger contract next year. Everyone wins.

  7. #5
    Play McRoberts and Price! BRushWithDeath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Johnson's Bay, Lake Wawasee
    Age
    28
    Posts
    5,357

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: will TJ get a buyout ?

    Quote Originally Posted by xBulletproof View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Not full, but close. Just throwing random numbers out there, but if he would make $300,000 on league minimum for the rest of the season somewhere else, I'd take that amount off my salary and tell the Pacers I'll take that dollar amount and no less. That way he makes exactly the same amount for the year, but gets a chance to play. Then he has a chance to earn more next year on his next contract.

    Pacers save a little money, and Ford gets a chance to earn himself a bigger contract next year. Everyone wins.
    I agree. But the Pacers won't offer that much I don't think.
    "I had to take her down like Chris Brown."

    -Lance Stephenson

  8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BRushWithDeath For This Useful Post:


  9. #6

    Default Re: will TJ get a buyout ?

    The season is basically 2/3 over, he's still traveling with the team, has insurance, and get a daily food per deim, why take a major cut in pay? There is no guarantee he can find a team to pick him up.

  10. #7
    Member Trophy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Posts
    8,556

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: will TJ get a buyout ?

    He's been good about not complaining and desperately demanding to be removed from this team.

    My guess is that if we won't have any takers in at the deadline, he's still gonna stay.

  11. The Following User Says Thank You to Trophy For This Useful Post:


  12. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    In a Gym
    Age
    22
    Posts
    16,880
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: will TJ get a buyout ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Justin Tyme View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The season is basically 2/3 over, he's still traveling with the team, has insurance, and get a daily food per deim, why take a major cut in pay? There is no guarantee he can find a team to pick him up.
    Im sure he would get picked up. Like he says he wants to play and he probly wants to show he can play to get another contract next year.

  13. #9
    Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Danberry
    Age
    55
    Posts
    12,180

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: will TJ get a buyout ?

    Am I confused, isn't he expiring anyway? The only reason I could see for buying him out is to sign someone before the end of the year or to trade using our exception.

    Is Magnum Rolle healed?
    BillS

    "Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

  14. The Following User Says Thank You to BillS For This Useful Post:


  15. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    In a Gym
    Age
    22
    Posts
    16,880
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: will TJ get a buyout ?

    Quote Originally Posted by BillS View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Am I confused, isn't he expiring anyway? The only reason I could see for buying him out is to sign someone before the end of the year or to trade using our exception.

    Is Magnum Rolle healed?
    he tweeted that he should be back this month

  16. #11
    You can call me Taz cinotimz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    1,324

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: will TJ get a buyout ?

    I think they already have a handshake agreement that if he isnt able to be traded that they buy him out-hence why he is such a trooper in a contract year.

  17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cinotimz For This Useful Post:


  18. #12
    Rooting My Family 2 Glory CooperManning's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    1,296

    Default Re: will TJ get a buyout ?

    If he gets bought out, it means Bird really thinks Lance is a PG.

  19. #13
    On the Vogel Wagon gummy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Indy
    Posts
    3,929
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: will TJ get a buyout ?

    But...he's expiring at the end of this year anyway, so why would we do this (unless we can get him to take significantly less than what he is owed - and past experience says we can't).
    "Freedom is nothing else but a chance to be better." - Albert Camus

    "Appreciation is a wonderful thing. It makes what is excellent in others belong to us as well." - Voltaire

    "Everyone's values are defined by what they will tolerate when it is done to others." - William Greider

  20. #14
    Play McRoberts and Price! BRushWithDeath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Johnson's Bay, Lake Wawasee
    Age
    28
    Posts
    5,357

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: will TJ get a buyout ?

    There is absolutely no chance that Magnum Rolle is signed.
    "I had to take her down like Chris Brown."

    -Lance Stephenson

  21. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to BRushWithDeath For This Useful Post:


  22. #15

    Default Re: will TJ get a buyout ?

    TJs agent knows by now whether his client can get picked up and how much he will be offered. I doubt that his next contract would be as good if he spends the rest of the season sitting on our bench. Getting bought out and finding a team that can make use of his skills is a good investment even if he takes a hit financially this year.

    Hopefully his agent sees a bigger picture. TJ is young enough to have several future contracts.

  23. #16
    Over the pond ballism's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Baltics (Europe)
    Posts
    2,427

    Default Re: will TJ get a buyout ?

    It would show some class from the Pacers to let him go if there's no plan to play him. Just get a promise that he doesn't sign with East playoff contenders.
    It's not cool to bury a veteran who can still play and who's high class act behind Lance Stephenson.
    If it doesn't hurt us and we even save a bit, why not be nice with agents and the player?

  24. #17
    Member sportfireman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Louisiana
    Age
    35
    Posts
    1,213
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: will TJ get a buyout ?

    Quote Originally Posted by BRushWithDeath View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    There is absolutely no chance that Magnum Rolle is signed.
    Why do you say that?
    I'm not perfect and neither are you.

    Romans 3:23 For all have sinned,and come short of the glory of God. kjv
    Ephisians 4: 32 And be ye kind one to another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God for Christ's sake hath forgiven you. kjv

  25. #18
    Rooting My Family 2 Glory CooperManning's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    1,296

    Default Re: will TJ get a buyout ?

    Quote Originally Posted by sportfireman View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Why do you say that?
    Because there are only three things we'd do with that roster spot:

    - Use it to accept an extra player back in a trade (if he's bought out before the deadline).

    - Sign an uber-cheap vet for the playoffs.

    - Leave it open.

    We just don't need a late 2nd rounder coming off a bad knee injury at this point in the season. No one else does either. We'll probably give him a run in next year's summer league, but there's no urgency to get him on the roster this late in the season.

  26. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to CooperManning For This Useful Post:


  27. #19
    Play McRoberts and Price! BRushWithDeath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Johnson's Bay, Lake Wawasee
    Age
    28
    Posts
    5,357

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: will TJ get a buyout ?

    Quote Originally Posted by sportfireman View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Why do you say that?
    He wasn't good enough when healthy to make the team and a devastating knee injury isn't likely to make him a better player.

    I understand people liked him in the summer league. I understand people liked his Twitter account.

    But the fact of the matter is he wasn't good enough. He still isn't.
    "I had to take her down like Chris Brown."

    -Lance Stephenson

  28. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BRushWithDeath For This Useful Post:


  29. #20
    Member CircleCity3318's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Terre Haute, IN
    Age
    25
    Posts
    206

    Default Re: will TJ get a buyout ?

    Quote Originally Posted by BRushWithDeath View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    There is absolutely no chance that Magnum Rolle is signed.
    And you know for certain because....

  30. #21
    Play McRoberts and Price! BRushWithDeath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Johnson's Bay, Lake Wawasee
    Age
    28
    Posts
    5,357

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: will TJ get a buyout ?

    Quote Originally Posted by CircleCity3318 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    And you know for certain because....
    Because it would make literally zero sense.
    "I had to take her down like Chris Brown."

    -Lance Stephenson

  31. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BRushWithDeath For This Useful Post:


  32. #22
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Dillon, Co
    Posts
    4,225

    Default Re: will TJ get a buyout ?

    If we're looking at the playoffs, TJ is a nice insurance policy to have around. If a pg goes down for any time TJ would have a lot of value to us. He still seems to have a good attitude about this position. Maybe at the very end of the season if every is still healthy they should look to let him go, just before the deadline for a new player to sign with a team.

  33. #23
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Lifelong Indy-area resident
    Age
    62
    Posts
    4,667

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: will TJ get a buyout ?

    There is no need for the Pacers to offer a buyout, nor is there any reason for Ford to accept one. As stated above, if the Pacers cannot trade Ford before the trade deadline, then he is the only viable option as a 3rd PG for the playoffs. At that point, the only way a buyout would take place would be if Ford approached the Pacers, not the other way around.

    If Ford wanted a buy-out, I don't think the Pacers would be willing at this time. That would be of no value to the Pacers. At least with Ford's contract in hand, there is at least a minimal chance that he would be of value through a sign-and-trade.

  34. #24
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    West Lafayette/Indianapolis
    Posts
    147

    Default Re: will TJ get a buyout ?

    He just retweeted this from somebody else. I'm not entirely sure what it means, but...

    "@mysportsrumors i tried to talk @tj_ford into taking buyout during summer...I talked him down to $8,499,998 dollars #truestory #Pacers"

  35. #25
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    In a Gym
    Age
    22
    Posts
    16,880
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: will TJ get a buyout ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    He just retweeted this from somebody else. I'm not entirely sure what it means, but...

    "@mysportsrumors i tried to talk @tj_ford into taking buyout during summer...I talked him down to $8,499,998 dollars #truestory #Pacers"
    It is a joke that is 2 dollars less than he would make this year Im sure he would have took a 2 dollar pay cut to go somewhere eles and get more money

Similar Threads

  1. Kings Reach Buyout With Gooden; Spurs Favorites?
    By MillerTime in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 03-03-2009, 02:43 PM
  2. Knicks to buyout Starbury
    By MyFavMartin in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 02-25-2009, 05:05 PM
  3. How does a buyout work?
    By dohman in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 12-27-2008, 12:13 AM
  4. Replies: 121
    Last Post: 11-19-2008, 02:08 PM
  5. Cassell says he's seeking buyout from Clippers [ESPN]
    By RoboHicks in forum NBA Headlines (RSS Feeds)
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-26-2008, 11:30 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •