View Poll Results: If there is a lockout whose side would you be on?

Voters
88. You may not vote on this poll
  • the players

    5 5.68%
  • the owners

    30 34.09%
  • more with the owners than players

    17 19.32%
  • more with the players than owners

    9 10.23%
  • pox on both owners and players

    7 7.95%
  • Neither side, they are all rich people (vnzla81)

    8 9.09%
  • the fans - both sides need to give in for the good of the game (BillS)

    12 13.64%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 49

Thread: Whose side are you on if there is a lockout

  1. #1

    Default Whose side are you on if there is a lockout

    If there is a lockout who would you be with? Assume a lengthy lockout?
    Last edited by speakout4; 02-20-2011 at 08:33 PM.

  2. #2

    Default Re: Whose side are you on if there is a lockout

    owners

  3. #3
    Member ilive4sports's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Sacramento, CA
    Posts
    6,627

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Whose side are you on if there is a lockout

    I want to know more before I decide.

  4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ilive4sports For This Useful Post:


  5. #4
    crazy shinaniganz BringJackBack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    7,351

    Default Re: Whose side are you on if there is a lockout

    Owners, plain and simple.

  6. #5
    Jimmy did what Jimmy did Bball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    19,532

    Default Re: Whose side are you on if there is a lockout

    Owners right now... That could change as negotiations move forward. But players need to make some serious concessions IMHO.
    O'Brien has been fired! Yay! What took so long?

    ------

    "A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

    -John Wooden

  7. #6

    Default Re: Whose side are you on if there is a lockout

    Owners easily.

  8. #7
    Rooting My Family 2 Glory CooperManning's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    1,276

    Default Re: Whose side are you on if there is a lockout

    Owners in NBA, players in NFL.

  9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to CooperManning For This Useful Post:


  10. #8
    I have a Member xBulletproof's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    4,671

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Whose side are you on if there is a lockout

    Owners. I want some changes that make it easier for teams like ours to compete. That would take some serious changes, and will probably take the players being pushed to the brink of foreclosure for it to happen.

  11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to xBulletproof For This Useful Post:


  12. #9
    Administrator Unclebuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    32,070

    Default Re: Whose side are you on if there is a lockout

    I'm on the side of the NBA. I can live with a lockout if it helps the NBA in the long term.

  13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:


  14. #10

    Default Re: Whose side are you on if there is a lockout

    I am on the fans side, this is a bunch of millionaires arguing about how to divide up our money.

  15. The Following User Says Thank You to Ramitt For This Useful Post:


  16. #11
    Pacer Junky Will Galen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    10,009

    Default Re: Whose side are you on if there is a lockout

    I'm more for the owners, but what I really want is a level playing field. And I really don't like the best players getting together in the big markets. Actually I don't like them getting together period.

  17. The Following User Says Thank You to Will Galen For This Useful Post:


  18. #12

    Default Re: Whose side are you on if there is a lockout

    Quote Originally Posted by Will Galen View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    what I really want is a level playing field. And I really don't like the best players getting together in the big markets. Actually I don't like them getting together period.
    I can get on board with that,and so should the NBA if smart.

  19. #13
    Member ilive4sports's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Sacramento, CA
    Posts
    6,627

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Whose side are you on if there is a lockout

    Quote Originally Posted by Will Galen View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm more for the owners, but what I really want is a level playing field. And I really don't like the best players getting together in the big markets. Actually I don't like them getting together period.
    The thing is there is no way that the NBA should do anything to stop it outside the realm of a hard cap. Thats the only logical way I could see the NBA having a say in it that way. I certainly don't want the NBA stepping in and saying a player cant go somewhere because they already have a star or two.

  20. The Following User Says Thank You to ilive4sports For This Useful Post:


  21. #14

    Default Re: Whose side are you on if there is a lockout

    Players. I'll always be pro-labor.

  22. The Following User Says Thank You to King Tuts Tomb For This Useful Post:


  23. #15

    Default Re: Whose side are you on if there is a lockout

    Quote Originally Posted by King Tuts Tomb View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Players. I'll always be pro-labor.
    I am far from anti-union , but some times they get it just as wrong.

  24. #16
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Indy
    Posts
    7,134

    Default Re: Whose side are you on if there is a lockout

    Quote Originally Posted by King Tuts Tomb View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Players. I'll always be pro-labor.
    Even win the pro-labor side is obviously wrong?

  25. #17

    Default Re: Whose side are you on if there is a lockout

    Quote Originally Posted by Eleazar View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Even win the pro-labor side is obviously wrong?
    I don't think the players are obviously wrong in this situation. They need to make a few concessions (shorter contracts, ability for teams to escape albatross contracts) but some of the stuff I'm hearing is absurd. Non-guaranteed contracts and a hard cap aren't good for the league.

  26. The Following User Says Thank You to King Tuts Tomb For This Useful Post:


  27. #18

    Default Re: Whose side are you on if there is a lockout

    Quote Originally Posted by King Tuts Tomb View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Non-guaranteed contracts and a hard cap aren't good for the league.
    Could you elaborate on why? Not saying you're wrong, just the only view that I've really seen is that contracts shouldn't be guaranteed (to avoid things like the contract hell we've been in since 07) and that a hard cap would be beneficial (to somewhat level the playing field). I'd be interested to hear why you're pro-guaranteed contracts and soft caps.

  28. #19
    Member idioteque's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    washington dc
    Age
    28
    Posts
    9,018

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Whose side are you on if there is a lockout

    Quote Originally Posted by King Tuts Tomb View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Players. I'll always be pro-labor.
    Please, we're not talking about the steel union here.

    But I'm definitely on the side of the players for the most part in the NFL.
    Already stoked for 2013-2014.

  29. The Following User Says Thank You to idioteque For This Useful Post:


  30. #20

    Default Re: Whose side are you on if there is a lockout

    Quote Originally Posted by idioteque View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Please, we're not talking about the steel union here.

    But I'm definitely on the side of the players for the most part in the NFL.
    Doesn't matter if it's steel, basketball or teaching, I support the people who do the work.

  31. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to King Tuts Tomb For This Useful Post:


  32. #21

    Default Re: Whose side are you on if there is a lockout

    Quote Originally Posted by smj887 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Could you elaborate on why? Not saying you're wrong, just the only view that I've really seen is that contracts shouldn't be guaranteed (to avoid things like the contract hell we've been in since 07) and that a hard cap would be beneficial (to somewhat level the playing field). I'd be interested to hear why you're pro-guaranteed contracts and soft caps.
    Guaranteed contracts are just fair. NFL teams use players until they're broken then toss them aside. Aside from that, I don't like the idea of NBA players constantly playing not to get cut.

    As for leveling the playing field, I don't think the NBA will ever be level. There are only a certain number of game changing players in the league who will dominate the league at a certain time, hard cap or not.

  33. The Following User Says Thank You to King Tuts Tomb For This Useful Post:


  34. #22
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Lifelong Indy-area resident
    Age
    62
    Posts
    4,552

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Whose side are you on if there is a lockout

    Quote Originally Posted by King Tuts Tomb View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Guaranteed contracts are just fair. NFL teams use players until they're broken then toss them aside. Aside from that, I don't like the idea of NBA players constantly playing not to get cut.

    As for leveling the playing field, I don't think the NBA will ever be level. There are only a certain number of game changing players in the league who will dominate the league at a certain time, hard cap or not.
    It's true that players in the NFL get tossed aside if they cannot continue performing. But what the hell? Every corporation in America does the same. You can't or won't perform and you need to look for another job. What you overlook is that most players in either league, at least the smart ones, carry insurance policies that protect them against career-ending injuries.

    It's also true that there are onlyh a handful of true, elite difference makers in the NBA at any one time. A new CBA with that is still free to pay huge salaries to individual players and that has a much lower hard cap will reduce the likelihood of multiple superstars being on the same team. And, with that in place, the league would achieve as much parity as is possible... certainly much more than under the current CBA allows.

  35. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to beast23 For This Useful Post:


  36. #23
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Indy
    Posts
    7,134

    Default Re: Whose side are you on if there is a lockout

    Quote Originally Posted by King Tuts Tomb View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I don't think the players are obviously wrong in this situation. They need to make a few concessions (shorter contracts, ability for teams to escape albatross contracts) but some of the stuff I'm hearing is absurd. Non-guaranteed contracts and a hard cap aren't good for the league.
    This isn't an NBA issue I am talking about. I'm just talking about in general. What you said is that you support the labor side no matter what, but what if what the labor side wants is just wrong and would ultimately cost them their jobs because they no longer work for a company that can compete.

  37. #24
    Jimmy did what Jimmy did Bball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    19,532

    Default Re: Whose side are you on if there is a lockout

    Ideally I'd like to see player salaries come down to reasonable levels that can be supported at the gate and w/tv revenue, merchandising, etc.... and I'd like to see owner profits have nothing to do with any taxpayer dollars what-so-ever. The business model shouldn't rely on taxpayer support to survive in any city and in fact should be barred from it.

    A business with so many people making huge sums of money shouldn't need any type of taxpayer support. This isn't saving basketball for our culture because it can't generate enough money on its own to survive in the free market.

    There's nothing 'fair' about guaranteed contracts. Fair would imply fair to both sides. If you can at any point decide to give half-*** effort at your job and are contractually bound to still be paid for X amount of years, most likely even receiving raises in those years, and especially at the level NBA contracts pay, then there is nothing 'fair' about that. Not to the person writing the check.

    I do agree if you are on a roster at a certain point each off season then your upcoming season $$$ should be guaranteed, but nothing past that. You either continue to earn your contract or you get replaced by someone that will.
    O'Brien has been fired! Yay! What took so long?

    ------

    "A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

    -John Wooden

  38. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:


  39. #25
    Jimmy did what Jimmy did Bball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    19,532

    Default Re: Whose side are you on if there is a lockout

    Quote Originally Posted by Eleazar View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    This isn't an NBA issue I am talking about. I'm just talking about in general. What you said is that you support the labor side no matter what, but what if what the labor side wants is just wrong and would ultimately cost them their jobs because they no longer work for a company that can compete.
    Some people unquestionably support labor under the belief the market and thus negotiations will ultimately decide something that is fair to both parties.

    Ideally that might be true, but a lot of things have been negotiated based on bubbles, short-sightedness, and unsustainable business models and IMHO the current CBA is one of those things.
    O'Brien has been fired! Yay! What took so long?

    ------

    "A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

    -John Wooden

  40. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:


Similar Threads

  1. NBA lockout could cost TV networks $1 Billion in ad revenue
    By Basketball Fan in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 01-18-2011, 11:42 AM
  2. Replies: 38
    Last Post: 11-16-2010, 07:16 PM
  3. Replies: 9
    Last Post: 02-02-2009, 09:43 PM
  4. Granik warns of lockout
    By Kegboy in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 06-22-2005, 12:12 AM
  5. NBA headed to another lockout
    By Unclebuck in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 06-29-2004, 03:11 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •