Thread: So.. What should Vogel switch up in the rotation after break?

crazy shinaniganz BringJackBack's Avatar

Default So.. What should Vogel switch up in the rotation after break?

Our current rotation in a nutshell is:

DC/Price/Ford
    Dunleavy/George/Jones
    Granger/Dunleavy/George
    McRoberts/Hansbrough
    Hibbert/Foster

What should Frank Vogel adjust after break to fix some problems with our rotations? Here are some current issues:

1.) Our perimeter defense in the starting lineup is horrid. DC/Dunleavy/Granger is not a good fit.

2.) Our starting lineup is having some problems chemistry wise. A lot of that has to do with DC and Dunleavy struggling right now though. What do we adjust to keep us from getting down early?

3.) Paul George, Dahntay Jones, and Brandon Rush are playing well. Who's the odd man out?

4.) Lance Stephenson hasn't played this season. What's his role?

5.) Mike has played very poorly since Vogel took over. Do we stick with Dun, or do we reduce his role considerably?

Here is what I would do after AS break:

DC/Price/Lance
    George/Jones/Rush/Lance
    Granger/Rush/George
    Josh/Hansbrough
    Hibbert/Foster

Here are a couple of things though:

-I think that if we start George it would rack up DC's assist numbers as well as improve his playmaking. Dunleavy, Rush, or even Jones can't properly fill the lanes (Dun isn't athletic enough, Rush insists on staying at the wing, and Jones tries to run the break every time). If we get a couple of fast break opportunities, DC and George could make some good connections.

-I am tempted to want to move Hansbrough into the starting lineup because of our lack of scoring. Problem is that his defensive awareness is not where it needs to be right now.

-I want Rush to play backup small forward. I like Dunleavy more as a player, but he's been averaging like 6.5 ppg on poor shooting since Vogel took over. It's been bad. Brandon Rush is a better spot up shooter and he can come in and hit a three or two a game which is good. He's really a 2, but Dahntay and George have been playing so well it is difficult to jam Rush in there. I really think that Rush can play well backing up Danny. He is eased of pressure and he can play defense and hit shots coming off of screens or spotting up. Lance is behind all of the shooting guards.

-I really hate to keep Mike out of the rotation.. There's just so many options and he has to most weaknesses that are tough to mask. We may miss his movement and shooting off of screens though some games.

Soo... What would you guys do if you were Frank Vogel?
    Last edited by BringJackBack; 02-20-2011 at 02:10 PM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to BringJackBack For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: So.. What should Vogel switch up in the rotation after break?

Bench Mike Dunleavy.

4. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Dr. Awesome For This Useful Post:

Pass That

Thumbs up Re: So.. What should Vogel switch up in the rotation after break?

Quote Originally Posted by BringJackBack View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

DC/Price/Lance
    George/Jones/Rush/Lance
    Granger/Rush/George
    Josh/Hansbrough
    Hibbert/Foster
    Perfect
    Spoiler Spoiler:

6. The Following User Says Thank You to MrPreGame For This Useful Post:

I would go with:

Collison/Price/Lance
    George/Rush/Jones/Lance
    Granger/George/Rush
    McRoberts/Hansbrough
    Hibbert/Foster

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to O'Braindead For This Useful Post:

I like Dunleavy, as I'm sure some of you know, and my rotation looks like this after the break.

Collison, Stephenson, Price
    Rush, Jones, Dunleavy
    Granger, George, Dunleavy
    McRoberts, Hansbrough
    Hibbert, Foster.

With Stephenson's court date coming up, I think if the trouble is behind him, we need to get him on the basketball court and see what he can do. I like Price, but I think he's more of the spark plug backup PG that you really only go to when you're trying to find an answer on offense. Lance gives us size as a backup PG, and I think we need to start finding out what we have, or what Bird thinks we have.

I like Rush in the starting lineup b/c he can still shoot the 3 like Dunleavy. He doesn't have the movement without the ball, but he's still a threat, and he's capable of being a good defender to limit teams getting off to hot starts. I think he'll benefit being on the floor with McRoberts and Collison. We can still bring Dahntay and Paul off the bench to blend with the 2nd unit of Hansbrough and Foster.

I still wish the Pacers could get another big. Foster is EXTREMELY missed when he's injured and another big would help with his insurance, or if at the PF we could slide McRoberts to the 5.

It'll be interesting to see what the Pacers do b/c I don't see them making a deal that they don't think helps them for the long term, so I expect if a trade is made, it'll be for a player who the Pacers see as part of the future moving forward

10. The Following User Says Thank You to pwee31 For This Useful Post:

Start DC, Rush, Granger, McRoberts, and Hibbert.

Make sure Paul George, Tyler Hansbrough, AJ Price, and Jeff Foster are your backups at those positions, and then decide if you want to stick with Dahntay Jones or give Lance Stephenson his first look.

You have balanced scoring and defense with that starting five, and you have Paul and Tyler to hopefully give you extra offensive firepower when the starters are out of the game, and AJ continues to give you solid play on both ends of the floor, while Jeff does his thing defensively and on the boards.

If Lance plays well, that's a huge bonus offensively. Otherwise, Dahntay puts in his defensive effort, and one out of three games he tends to erupt offensively.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

Protect the Promise. HOOPFANATIC's Avatar

I'd run with

DC/Price/Ford
    Rush/George/Dunleavy
    Granger/Jones/George/Dunleavy
    McRoberts/Hansborough/Posey
    Hibbert/Foster/Solo

I don't know if Stephenson can even play in this league, so until they find time for him to showcase I'll reserve.
    Protect the Promise!!!!

14. The Following User Says Thank You to HOOPFANATIC For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

would like to see the following:

pg: DC, Price, Stephenson; Ford bought out or traded if Lance can play the PG position.

sg: Rush
    sf: Granger

6th man: George, plays either SG or SF. if we need defense on a wade type player bring in DJones and play George at SF. if offense is needed play Dunleavy at SF and George at SG. Bird wants George playing both positions to get a better idea where he excels. imcorporating this rotation allows Dunleavy spot minutes when George plays SG.

pf: McBob, Hansbro

c: Hibbert, Foster

additionally, we can mix up rotations if Stephenson is indeed going to get minutes at pg. there are not any minutes for him at sg this season.

backcourt option 1:

AJ, George, Dun

* balanced scoring from all 3 players and more movement b/c AJ is a tradional point.

backcourt option 2

LS, DJones, George

* defense is emphasized with DJones, and George gaurding slower wings at SF. Lance would be able to use his offense because DJones and George can get their own without a pg like AJ feeding it to em.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

I guess I'm the only one who thinks Tyler should start over Josh...with that said

Collison, Price, Stephenson
    Rush, George, Jones
    Granger, George
    Tyler, Josh
    Roy, Jeff, Solo

With that said we need another big.... we've been fortunate but we need another big.
    Last edited by sportfireman; 02-20-2011 at 04:44 PM.
    I'm not perfect and neither are you.

Romans 3:23 For all have sinned,and come short of the glory of God. kjv
    Ephisians 4: 32 And be ye kind one to another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God for Christ's sake hath forgiven you. kjv

Flipped Off The Refs Larry Staverman's Avatar
    Mood

Posey, Ford and Dunleavy in suits

DC, Rush, Granger, McBob, Roy starting

AJ, PG, Jones, Hans, Foster on the "Goon Squad"

Lance worked in at both guard spots

Solo dressed as the 3rd big

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Larry Staverman For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

DC/Price/Lance
    George/Jones/Rush/Lance
    Granger/Rush/George
    Josh/Hansbrough
    Hibbert/Foster
    Just to tweak this a little, switch Brandon and Dahntay.

Dahntay does well defending bigger wingmen than Brandon does.

Outside of that, this is what I had in mind.

I want Rush to play backup small forward. I like Dunleavy more as a player, but he's been averaging like 6.5 ppg on poor shooting since Vogel took over. It's been bad. Brandon Rush is a better spot up shooter and he can come in and hit a three or two a game which is good. He's really a 2, but Dahntay and George have been playing so well it is difficult to jam Rush in there. I really think that Rush can play well backing up Danny. He is eased of pressure and he can play defense and hit shots coming off of screens or spotting up. Lance is behind all of the shooting guards.

-I really hate to keep Mike out of the rotation.. There's just so many options and he has to most weaknesses that are tough to mask. We may miss his movement and shooting off of screens though some games.
    I'd rather play D. Jones at SF and Rush at SG if I needed to make that choice. I'd rather see Rush on the perimeter most of the time on either end of the court.

I know there are many big Dunleavy fans who think he's one of the best players on the team, but I don't see how the Pacers will ever really be competitive with a team with wings like Miami, Boston, or the L.A. Lakers (obviously Indiana would be the underdogs anyway, but I want to see the Pacers give them a challenge and have a chance to upset the really good teams). We need defense at the 2 and 3 if we are going to be anything more than the host of their highlight reels. Dunleavy can't guard the types of players these teams have and thus would tend to be my "odd man out" most of the time.

Thumbs up Re: So.. What should Vogel switch up in the rotation after break?

Quote Originally Posted by HOOPFANATIC View Post
    I'd run with

DC/Price/Ford
    Rush/George/Dunleavy
    Granger/Jones/George/Dunleavy
    McRoberts/Hansborough/Posey
    Hibbert/Foster/Solo

I don't know if Stephenson can even play in this league, so until they find time for him to showcase I'll reserve.
    Yeah, that looks really good to me. That's close to exactly the way I'd like to see things play out. I like both the first and second units.

Like you, I'm not sure where Lance fits in just yet. I'd like to see him get some minutes when available at both guard spots, although I think he's primarily going to be a SG.

Hmm, If Lance's court date is pushed back/charges are dropped, and it's after the deadline..I'd go

Collison/Price
    PG/Dahntay/Stephenson
    Danny/Brandon
    Josh/Hans
    Roy/Foster

Play Stephenson for a few minutes with the second unit, if he plays better than Dahntay, he gets that spot.

I like Dun, but I don't think you give a vet a "few sparse minutes" and he's not better for the team than Brandon/PG/Dahntay. So give Lance those minutes.

It seems as though the general consensus is to bench Dun.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I don't have a problem with the rotation right now, really. I want Paul George's minutes increased to the point where he is playing at least 28 minutes per night. If Dunleavy keeps sucking then I'm not entirely opposed to benching him. I'd like to see Lance start getting some minutes in some form or another.

All I want is dun benched and either PG or Rush starting. Dunleavy has been horrible on both offense and defense.

With Dun not likely to be a part of the team next season I see little reason for him to be a big part of the rotation going forward, bar injury. Let the young guys play, they are the future.