Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Turmoil in N.Y. may turn into a nightmare for me

Banned

Default Re: Turmoil in N.Y. may turn into a nightmare for me

Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Are any of those teams even under the cap? He wants New York. He's been very adamant about that.
    They can do a sign and trade, Cuban is the type of guy that doesn't care to expend whatever amount of money he can to get a guy like Melo, who knows even the Pacers can be facilitarors for one of this teams.
    Last edited by vnzla81; 02-20-2011 at 04:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    Seriously, how does Zeke have time to be advising the Knicks so heavily? He's a head coach at a Division 1 school, that's a 25 hour a day job.

His team is something like 4-10 since the first of the year so perhaps he's going to have some more time in the near future to dedicate to another team....
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    They can do a sign and trade, Cuban is the type of guy that doesn't care to expend whatever amount of money he can to get a guy like Melo, who knows even the Pacers can be facilitarors for one of this teams.
    You're missing the point: Melo wants New York. He wants to play for the Knicks. He wants to play in the spotlight. He wants to play in the Garden.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by xBulletproof View Post
    Even the Knicks won't be able to offer him the max even if the new CBA doesn't shrink the cap or change anything at all. Nobody seems to understand that. If there isn't a trade to NY and he wants to go there in the offseason, he's going to lose a lot of money.

The Knicks salaries next year should be $44,222,498. The cap is 58 million today. The most they can offer is something starting in the 13's in millions of dollars. That's a HUGE loss, and most expect the new CBA to lower the cap and change individual player max's. It could be worse than that.
    You know, the more I think about crap like this, I really think there is only one way to help prevent things like this from happening.

Do NOT put a limit on the salary that you can pay an individual player. Instead, adopt a hard salary cap that is much lower than what the cap is right now.

Most believe that the new cap will be decreased quite a bit. Let's say it goes from 58 to 52. My point is why not make the new cap 48M, but make it a hard cap that cannot be exceeded.

So, you can give Amare and Carmello 16M-18M each, but collectively they will consume 35M and you only have 13M left to sign another 12-13 support players to help them win a championship. I think that most folks would agree that there is not enough money left over to enable you to sign enough quality players to ever hope to win a championship.

What this does is force team to better balance their lineups. Teams would not be able to afford both several superstars and quality support to raise them to elite status. This will also cause the balance of power within the league to be more evenly distributed over time, resulting in much more parity.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to beast23 For This Useful Post:

I may be in the extreme minority (probably the only one), but I wouldn't be too upset if Donnie came back. I'm more indifferent than I am in favor of it, but I wouldn't be mad or nothing if they went with Donnie again.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to QuickRelease For This Useful Post:

renaldo balkman
    "Sometimes, when you look Andy in the eyes, you get a feeling somebody else is driving." -- David Letterman

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kaufman For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by BillS View Post
    That said, though, with the understanding that his weakness is taking the final step but his strength is building everything up to that step, aren't we in the position where he did the best while he was here before?

ya, Donnie walked into a position to have success .. then leaves Indiana in salary hell and in crappy shape.. Meanwhile Bird literally goes through hell righting the ship , getting us in position to not only have major financial flexibility, but having a young core of guys (whom IMO are gonna bring this franchise good things,..) to move into the future with.. only to have Walsh walk right back into a good situation that Bird set on a path for success??

NO EFFING WAY!!!

Bird needs to see this through and reap the rewards from his hard work... NOT let Donnie reap the rewards off of a team he left in bad shape at the end of his tenure...
    Quote Originally Posted by naptownmenace View Post
    Plumlee reminds me of a young Dale Davis. Good rebounding and he contests shots well on defense and his offensive game is very raw just like DD's was coming out of college.
    "If my answers frighten you, then you should cease asking scary questions."

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kemo For This Useful Post:

Pacer Pride, Colts Strong Kid Minneapolis's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Donnie Walsh was one of the greatest things to happen to this franchise. It's pretty disheartening to me to see so many Pacers fans "piling" on him to not come back here based on all the great business moves he made for this team over 2 decades. The 16 playoff appearances in 17 years was during the Walsh era here. It seems like Zeke arrived in 2001 and infected the franchise for 2-3 years, and took us years beyond to recover from. All the "good" done by Walsh was immediately washed away by 2000-2003. The only thing I can blame Walsh for was Zeke himself... that was the one truly bad business move I can point to. The players and contracts we took on during the Zeke-era put this franchise behind for years. I have to believe that Zeke was behind a lot of those moves, or at least a large negative influence (which he's proving to be at stop after stop) because frankly a lot of those moves were rather uncharacteristic of Walsh...

I personally wouldn't mind seeing Walsh back here in Indy in some capacity. What that capacity is, I don't know... but he was generally considered one of the top executives in the league for YEARS before the brawl (which seemed to mar his entire legacy), and we'd be unwise to pass on an opportunity to employ his skills. He's brought back the hopelessly screwed up Knicks to respectability in just 3 years (a franchise largely screwed up by --- Isiah Thomas).

Just to further prove the point, it now appears that Zeke is once again railroading him in NY. The hilarious aspect of this is that NY is apparently returning control of the organization to Zeke after Walsh cleaned up *his* mess --- "Thanks for cleaning up Zeke's mess, Donnie, now if you don't mind, we're gonna let Zeke mess it up again."

Walsh, imo, hasn't been the malefactor --- Isiah Thomas was/is. For both the Pacers, and the Knicks. Even the great Donnie Walsh hasn't able to withstand the tornadic path of destruction Isiah Thomas has left behind him...
    Last edited by Kid Minneapolis; 02-20-2011 at 05:31 PM.
    There are two types of quarterbacks in the league: Those whom over time, the league figures out ... and those who figure out the league.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Kid Minneapolis For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    What are you talking about? You are splitting hairs here. He's a very good evaluator of talent. I don't think I've said anything to the contrary. You disagree and think he's just good. Fine. Leave it there. Not quite sure what you are trying to argue here.
    I don't/didn't mean to be adversarial about it, and my apologies if that's how I'm coming across.

It's a minor distinction, but nonetheless there is a difference.

You would say he's 'very good' at evaluating talent.

I disagreed, and offered a reason why.

You then said that my reason does not mean he isn't 'good' at evaluating talent. I was not trying to say he isn't 'good'. I was trying to say why I felt he wasn't 'very good'.

Not a huge distinction between the two, but technically there is, and that's what I was getting it.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    I don't/didn't mean to be adversarial about it, and my apologies if that's how I'm coming across.

It's a minor distinction, but nonetheless there is a difference.

You would say he's 'very good' at evaluating talent.

I disagreed, and offered a reason why.

You then said that my reason does not mean he isn't 'good' at evaluating talent. I was not trying to say he isn't 'good'. I was trying to say why I felt he wasn't 'very good'.

Not a huge distinction between the two, but technically there is, and that's what I was getting it.
    Ahh, gotcha. My bad.

Why bring back a guy who left on his own as if we're going to take NY's discards. Donnie is probably done as a GM/president of his own volition. We want a guy who will want to be around for the next phase.

I found the article completely in the realm of fantasy in that anyone has to be totally nuts to take Isiah seriously. Isiah has the ability to recognize talent but the Knicks are looking for guys who have already proven themselves so who needs Isiah? If there is any truth here Dolan will have convinced everyone what an incredible idiot he is. Why should Dolan/Thomas have another chance to destroy this franchise?

I give this article zero credibility.

I never want Walsh back, i do appreciate his many years with Indy, but he also ran the team into the ground. I am happy to see Thomas go back to the Nicks, a pox upon them.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Ramitt For This Useful Post:

no please relax we're done with him

mr simon wants bird back and bird wants to be back i think especially with where this team is going he looks into the future a lot and makes it sound like hes going to be part of it
    In 49 states it's just basketball, but this is Indiana!

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Kemo View Post
    ya, Donnie walked into a position to have success .. then leaves Indiana in salary hell and in crappy shape.. Meanwhile Bird literally goes through hell righting the ship , getting us in position to not only have major financial flexibility, but having a young core of guys (whom IMO are gonna bring this franchise good things,..) to move into the future with.. only to have Walsh walk right back into a good situation that Bird set on a path for success??

NO EFFING WAY!!!

Bird needs to see this through and reap the rewards from his hard work... NOT let Donnie reap the rewards off of a team he left in bad shape at the end of his tenure...
    What in the heck are you talking about? Do you somehow think Donnie started with this franchise in 1999 or 2000?

First off, I don't particularly want Donnie back. Things have passed him by, and - as much as I'd love to see someone successfully manage a team "old school" - the days of mutual respect between a GM and player being enough to move forward are long gone.

Second, the "what if" was predicated either on Bird leaving or else being able to use Donnie's skills (which exist in spite of those who would prefer to blame him for 2004 and forget 1994-2000) without splitting the decision process.

I've mellowed in some people's eyes because I agree that Donnie's faults in the last years outweighed his benefits. But, as Peck and others will tell you, no one is ahead of me in the line to champion how important and positive his contribution was to the years of the franchise that have spoiled so many fans here. To claim that all he did was come in to a team poised for success and proceed to drive them into the ground is intolerable.
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

23. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BillS For This Useful Post:

Asking if I want Walsh back is sort of like asking me if I want Larry Brown back. They were great at the time, but I don't think I want either back at this point in time.

When Walsh took over this team it was in worse shape than an expansion team

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

"Walsh is a great guy! He will do you right. Let the good times roll."

—Jonathan Bender
    —Jamaal Tinsley
    —Jermaine O'Neil
    —Stephen Jackson
    —Troy Murphy
    —Mike Dunleavy
    —Jonathan Bender the Knick
    Last edited by McKeyFan; 02-21-2011 at 08:48 PM.

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

27. The Following User Says Thank You to McKeyFan For This Useful Post:

"Stern ought to be ashamed of himself for letting this happen to Walsh. He pushed Dolan and Walsh together three years ago to clean up Thomas’ toxic mess, to restore a measure of honor and dignity to the Garden."

Am I the only person who has a problem with this? This is now the second time I've heard that Stern asked Donnie to go help out the Knicks to clean up the franchise.

Does David do this for all of his teams or just those he roots for?

I get the idea that THE major market team should not be a joke but in all fairness shouldn't Stern stay out of it altogether or go the opposite direction and help all teams in such a manor?

Between this and the laughably low fine the Knicks got for the illegle workouts I am truely beginning to wonder that when I laughed off all of the Stern talk about favoring the Knicks over the years if I wasn't the one being foolish.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

29. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Peck For This Useful Post:

I don't believe this will actually happen so I'm not really concerned.

Donnie is getting up there after all.

Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post
    "Stern ought to be ashamed of himself for letting this happen to Walsh. He pushed Dolan and Walsh together three years ago to clean up Thomas’ toxic mess, to restore a measure of honor and dignity to the Garden."

Am I the only person who has a problem with this? This is now the second time I've heard that Stern asked Donnie to go help out the Knicks to clean up the franchise.

Does David do this for all of his teams or just those he roots for?

I get the idea that THE major market team should not be a joke but in all fairness shouldn't Stern stay out of it altogether or go the opposite direction and help all teams in such a manor?

Between this and the laughably low fine the Knicks got for the illegle workouts I am truely beginning to wonder that when I laughed off all of the Stern talk about favoring the Knicks over the years if I wasn't the one being foolish.
    Stern favors big markets but does he favor them over his $$$ making stars? No I don't

I mean Michael Jordan erased any Knicks love I'm sure he had because he was $$$ in the bank for him.

Of course Chicago isn't a small market either.

Quote Originally Posted by McKeyFan View Post
    Walsh is a great guy! He will do you right. Let the good times roll.

—Jonathan Bender
    —Jamaal Tinsley
    Jermaine O'Neal
    —Stephen Jackson
    —Troy Murphy
    —Mike Dunleavy
    Jermaine O'Neal was a bad thing? What? Dude got a knee injury... before that he was an All-Star starter and a top 5 MVP guy. The trade Walsh made to swap DD for JO took huge balls and worked great. You're gonna blame Walsh for an injury?

Jamaal Tinsley, Stephen Jackson, Jermaine O'Neal... Three starters on arguably the most talented Pacers squad of all time.

Remember the brawl? The awful thing that killed our fanbase and stopped a juggernaught of a team that was tearing through the defending champs and were widely acknowledged as the best team in the NBA?

Remember 2000? The Finals? Remember the spring of 2004, when we went back to the ECF with a COMPLETELY different team?

Is this mic on?

I haven't mentioned the 90's yet.

Look, Donnie made mistakes. We all know he had to trade SJax, who knows what other offers he had? I'm guessing he had to take on horrible contracts. Any props on the forsight to get two guys who expired in the same summer to set up massive cap space?

And look at the job he did in NY. Do people doubt that he would have had the savy to stockpile young guys and wait for cap space? Because he did the exact same thing immediately upon taking over the Knicks.

Donnie Walsh wouldn't be my first pick to replace Bird if that day comes (which is saying something, look at my avatar!) I agree that getting a young blood to oversee the franchise for a long time would be better.

But to all of you who are acting like Walsh was some terrible burden that the franchise suffered through... Check you head.

33. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FlavaDave For This Useful Post:

Banned

But to all of you who are acting like Walsh was some terrible burden that the franchise suffered through... Check you head.

Says the guy with the Donnie Walsh avatar......

Mood

Walsh did wonders for our franchise. For that I'm forever grateful.

But I do not want the Ghost of Donnie Walsh running this team into the ground.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Tom White View Post
    I'm not sure I buy the article. Where are the sources? Wojo says "The thin veil of secrecy has torn away", well he hasn't torn away his own secrecy. Sounds like a lot of conjecture to me. I know the author has been around a while, and is generally well thought of, but it sure would make it more believable if we had more info.

Also, I thought the illegal workouts were held after Walsh was already there. Am I wrong about that?
    No, you are right but the first season that Walsh was there, IT still had an office job with the Knicks.

This is ridiculous. The fact that Dolan would listen to IT instead of Walsh says nothing but bad things about Dolan. The same IT that caused you to have to pay a million bucks sexual harassment settlement? That's the guy you want to trust to broker the biggest trade in Knicks history?

The one thing I also find interesting is that people really think that Amare' and Carmelo would be a good tandem in NY. I don't think their styles will complement each other. In fact, they play nearly the same type of game. I think it will be cool to see them play together but I'm not sure it will work out the way they expect - unless all the Knicks really want to do is generate ratings and merchandise revenue.
    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81
    Larry is not coming back, he didn't have a meeting with Orlando for not reason, yeah he is coming back to the NBA but not to the Pacers, the notion that he is a taking a year off and then come back is absurd.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    GOOD GOD THAT'S LARRY BIRD'S MUSIC!

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    Says the guy with the Donnie Walsh avatar......
    As I acknowledged.

Quote Originally Posted by McKeyFan View Post
    Walsh is a great guy! He will do you right. Let the good times roll.

—Jonathan Bender
    —Jamaal Tinsley
    —Jermaine O'Neil
    —Stephen Jackson
    —Troy Murphy
    —Mike Dunleavy

Walsh also brought in your screen name-sake, Derrick McKey, into the mix for a player at the time who was wildly popular with fans in Indianapolis.
    "Sometimes, when you look Andy in the eyes, you get a feeling somebody else is driving." -- David Letterman

39. The Following User Says Thank You to Kaufman For This Useful Post: