Thread: Turmoil in N.Y. may turn into a nightmare for me

Threaded View

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

Default Re: Turmoil in N.Y. may turn into a nightmare for me

Quote Originally Posted by FlavaDave View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Jermaine O'Neal was a bad thing? What? Dude got a knee injury... before that he was an All-Star starter and a top 5 MVP guy. The trade Walsh made to swap DD for JO took huge balls and worked great. You're gonna blame Walsh for an injury?

Jamaal Tinsley, Stephen Jackson, Jermaine O'Neal... Three starters on arguably the most talented Pacers squad of all time.

Remember the brawl? The awful thing that killed our fanbase and stopped a juggernaught of a team that was tearing through the defending champs and were widely acknowledged as the best team in the NBA?

Remember 2000? The Finals? Remember the spring of 2004, when we went back to the ECF with a COMPLETELY different team?

Is this mic on?

I haven't mentioned the 90's yet.

Look, Donnie made mistakes. We all know he had to trade SJax, who knows what other offers he had? I'm guessing he had to take on horrible contracts. Any props on the forsight to get two guys who expired in the same summer to set up massive cap space?

And look at the job he did in NY. Do people doubt that he would have had the savy to stockpile young guys and wait for cap space? Because he did the exact same thing immediately upon taking over the Knicks.

Donnie Walsh wouldn't be my first pick to replace Bird if that day comes (which is saying something, look at my avatar!) I agree that getting a young blood to oversee the franchise for a long time would be better.

But to all of you who are acting like Walsh was some terrible burden that the franchise suffered through... Check you head.
    Good post.

I'm not busting on Walsh, per se. I'm just getting a laugh regarding all the guys who made millions thanks to Donnie's loyalty. He had great moments (like signing Derrick Mckey ) but some of his extensions belong on the negative side of the ledger.

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

2. The Following User Says Thank You to McKeyFan For This Useful Post: