Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Top 50 Trade Value (espn Paul George, Danny, DC, )

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

2. The Following User Says Thank You to pacer4ever For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Top 50 Trade Value (espn Paul George, Danny, DC, )

Roy's mentioned as well.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

DeJuan Blair more trade value than Paul George?
    We need better than solid. No JJ Redicks, Andray Blatche, Mike Dunleavy type guys to have big roles on our team.

Quote Originally Posted by hoops_guy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    DeJuan Blair more trade value than Paul George?
    It's a fun exercise for entertainment. It's not to be taken as doctrine. Making a list like that is impossible to do with any sort of consensus. As always, I enjoyed the read.

6. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:

Kendrick Perkins, Big Baby Davis, Marc Gasol, Roy Hibbert (tie): Cheap (and competent) frontcourt labor. Special kudos to Hibbert for keeping me on my toes: Since Thanksgiving, I had him off the top 50, on the top 50, out of the column completely and now he's honorable mention after my boy Frank Vogel revived his career. Even Christina Aguilera's past 10 weeks were more stable -- and she mangled a Super Bowl national anthem, nearly face-planted at the Grammys and turned into bleached-blonde Snooki.

Darren Collison
    , D.J. Augustin, Jrue Holiday: Love the price for all three, but really, it's not life-altering to get 14-15 points, 5-6 assists and 35-36 percent shooting from a point guard. There's never been a deeper crew of point guards -- we go something like 20 strong, and that's not even counting the Ridnour/Blake/Udrih types. Remember the days when there were so few decent point guards that Eric Snow and Howard Eisley signed $40 million deals? No more. Long gone.

Paul George: I'm playing my annual "I Just Like Him" immunity idol. Don't ask why he's here. Don't question it. Just move on.

GROUP K: "We'll Discuss Him, But You Can't Tell ANYONE"

45. Paul Millsap
    44. Danny Granger
    43. Kevin Martin
    42. Nene
    41. Luis Scola
    40. Andrew Bogut

These guys are like quality character actors: You want them in your movie or TV show as long as they're not the ones you're putting on the poster. Millsap, Scola and Martin: hard-working, efficient scorers who wound their teams defensively. Granger: a streak shooter who doesn't seem interested in being much more than that; it wasn't a coincidence that Coach K buried him on Team USA. Nene: a totally solid center who holds his own but can't carry his team for stretches at a time. Bogut: an expensive lottery center who gets you a double-double with three blocks but can't crack 50 percent from the field OR the charity stripe. Ask these guys to be anything more than your No. 3 or No. 4 guy and you won't be playing in June.

The best comparison: Have you seen "Shameless" on Showtime? It totally has "Six Feet Under" potential, but there's a problem -- they built too much of the show around Bill Macy, who's in a perpetual overacting frenzy as the lead character, an abusive alcoholic father who can't stop screwing up the lives of his kids. With the right actor, it's a 60-win show and a possible 1-seed. With Macy, it's an 8-seed. He's awful in it. I don't blame Macy as much as Showtime for building the show around him -- they were hoping he had a Bryan Cranston gear in him, but he doesn't. And that goes for the last six guys, too. You want them in your indie movie, you want them as the No. 3 or No. 4 lead in your blockbuster … you don't want them on your poster.

(Last thought: The Rockets had Yao and T-Mac for their poster, couldn't replace them after they broke down, then had no choice but to build around character actors -- a move that worked for the 2004 Pistons during the Great Talent Abyss of the mid-2000s but can't work in 2011 because the league is too loaded. Maybe the Rockets can't win a playoff series, but they could do some serious damage at Sundance.)
    Quote Originally Posted by naptownmenace View Post
    Plumlee reminds me of a young Dale Davis. Good rebounding and he contests shots well on defense and his offensive game is very raw just like DD's was coming out of college.
    "If my answers frighten you, then you should cease asking scary questions."

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kemo For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Wow. Calling Granger a No. 3 or No. 4 option seems a bit harsh. Also a bit dumb. If you have 3 or even 2 players that are better offensive options than Granger on your team then you are going to have one hell of a team.

Most of us have been thinking that we could be a contender with the right combination of players that includes Granger as our No. 2 option.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by beast23 View Post
    Wow. Calling Granger a No. 3 or No. 4 option seems a bit harsh. Also a bit dumb. If you have 3 or even 2 players that are better offensive options than Granger on your team then you are going to have one hell of a team.

Most of us have been thinking that we could be a contender with the right combination of players that includes Granger as our No. 2 option.
    No body in there right mined thinks we are a contender right now.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to pacer4ever For This Useful Post:

Granger is a 2 on an above average team and a 3 on a very good team. I think the Pacers are a special brew because we rely upon our depth more then almost anybody.

Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    It's a fun exercise for entertainment. It's not to be taken as doctrine. Making a list like that is impossible to do with any sort of consensus. As always, I enjoyed the read.
    I did too. I was half-kidding. I read everything by Bill Simmons. My bad that I didn't make myself clear.
    We need better than solid. No JJ Redicks, Andray Blatche, Mike Dunleavy type guys to have big roles on our team.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to hoops_guy For This Useful Post:

These guys are gonna shock a lot of people.

We're gonna be a contending team in a few years.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Trophy For This Useful Post:

I just can't wait until we get a ball handler or some legit scorer that can get to rim at will. Someone who can take over the scoring load for Granger. This I think will really actually reveal Granger's value as a very good defender, great shooter, rebounder etc. I literally think he can do all of that. He's show before he can play great defense. He's a big guy that can grab more rebound if he's properly motivated.. We just have to get someone who can take over the scoring load.

Lets all hope George can be that guy because if he his this team will be very good.

Banned

Decent list, but I agree, there were some highly questionable calls. I doubt there's a single GM in the league that would take Blair over Hibbert or George. Legitimate centers of Roy's skill-level are rare and George shows flashes of absolute brilliance already at 20 and in limited opportunity.

Quote Originally Posted by hoops_guy View Post
    I did too. I was half-kidding. I read everything by Bill Simmons. My bad that I didn't make myself clear.
    It was actually more of a post for those who hadn't posted yet with similar thoughts. It could be an entire thread of "Simmons is an idiot no way should Player X be traded Player Y!"

Mood

Question for anyone... Would you trade a 1st and a expiring contract for Derrick Favors?

Quote Originally Posted by Really? View Post
    Question for anyone... Would you trade a 1st and a expiring contract for Derrick Favors?
    Does a bear **** in the woods? Of course I would do that. Why wouldn't you do that?

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:

Mood

Just wondering... it seems like a lot of people don't like him or think he is a bust...

Ok maybe this is a little more realistic 1st, Tyler, 2 expiring contracts....

I still don't think this would get him but that is about all I would be willing to give up...

I actually like him a lot, but still that would be all that I would give up for him, him and a 2nd

Just wondering... it seems like a lot of people don't like him or think he is a bust...

Ok maybe this is a little more realistic 1st, Tyler, 2 expiring contracts....

I still don't think this would get him but that is about all I would be willing to give up...

I actually like him a lot, but still that would be all that I would give up for him, him and a 2nd
    I don't think we can get him without giving up Granger, and I don't like him enough to do that.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:

No way do the Nets pull that deal off, an expiring and a pick that most likely will be in the middle of the first. Also Favors was going to be the main component of the Melo deal so no way would they attempt that offer.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by beast23 View Post

I've always say that Danny is like Rashard Lewis in Orlando and Lamar Odom in LA, really good player but if he is your 1st option you are screwed(like the Pacers).

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    I've always say that Danny is like Rashard Lewis in Orlando and Lamar Odom in LA, really good player but if he is your 1st option you are screwed(like the Pacers).

Man, you are one seriously negative individual. I mean, I don't necessarily disagree with what you said, but let's see some optimism for a change!

Mood

You at least have to respect Simmons's knowledge of the NBA. His viewpoints are typically pretty accurate, even if he emphasizes the ****** out of Boston. He is knowledgable about the NBA as a fan just like most of us here.

beast23... the thing about Granger is true.... shhhh.

I would like to see the Pacers trade DC, DG, and 2011 and 2013 first round picks for Deron Williams. DWill, BRush, PGeorge, DWest, RHibbert. With your backups being Price, Stephenson, DJones, Hansborough, McRoberts (re-signed to 4 yr, ~$20M). The last five roster spots going to be 2011 Second, Foster (Two year near minimum contract and the last player signed with Bird Rights), Posey, Magnum Rolle (rookie minimum), empty roster spot...

Then I would inquire if Orlando would trade me almost free agent Dwight Howard before next year's deadline to pair with DWill and PGeorge (for DWest, RHibbert, and our 2012 First).

Simmons's article was hilarious. I really appreciate how well thought out this one was in particular. I can't imagine having a better job, although don't tell my employer.

Nice to see Simmons change his tune on George. He blasted Bird for taking him instead of Xavier Henry.
    "A man with no belly has no appetite for life."

- Salman Rushdie

31. The Following User Says Thank You to OakMoses For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post

Man, you are one seriously negative individual. I mean, I don't necessarily disagree with what you said, but let's see some optimism for a change!
    It would be better to say your team wouldnt be very good if Granger is your #1 option. "Screwed" does seem a little strong. I dont want to be an optimist or pessimist - but a realist. I especially like reading posts from people who keep it real.

33. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to troyc11a For This Useful Post:

Play McRoberts and Price! BRushWithDeath's Avatar

Every team that is better than the Pacers has at least one player who is better than Danny Granger. Quite a few have more than one. I think that is a pretty good clue that when he is your best player, you are basically screwed. You can make the playoffs but that is it. For all the talk about how we need to upgrade the PF or SG position, what really holds us back is that our best player isn't good enough.

Hopefully Paul George becomes our best player in time because I think he has the ability to be a good enough best player for a good team.
    "I had to take her down like Chris Brown."

-Lance Stephenson

35. The Following User Says Thank You to BRushWithDeath For This Useful Post:

Anyone notice how Bill Simmons called Frank Vogel his "boy"? Do they have some past relationship or history that we don't know about?