Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: NBA Owners, Union: unified they aren't.

Default Re: NBA Owners, Union: unified they aren't.

By the way, how many teams were in the NBA the year they made the playoffs a 16-team competition?

What would the equivalent (or closest to) number of playoff teams be today now that there are 30 franchises?

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    STRONGLY disagree.

We're teetering dangerously on the precipice of a league of half a dozen "super teams" while the other 24 franchises flounder in perpetual mediocrity, some to the point of contraction.

The new CBA will be CRITICAL for owners and small markets. The inmates are currently running the asylum.
    But here is the question - would a league of half a dozen super teams be better for the NBA as a whole?

For all that we hate the outcome, there's no question that the Miami Heat Basketball Association has more viewers and more league-wide profits than it has in many years. Putting Miami on national TV for every game has been hugely successful.

Just because we would be one of the teams that would be losing money and mired in perpetual mediocrity doesn't mean our experience is the experience at the league level.

Bottom line is that WWE style entertainment seems to make more money for the NBA than a competitive sports league. I fear that we'll see the NBA turn into that in the next decade.
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    By the way, how many teams were in the NBA the year they made the playoffs a 16-team competition?

What would the equivalent (or closest to) number of playoff teams be today now that there are 30 franchises?

1984 was the first year of the 16 game format. There were 23 teams in the league, so only 7 of them missed the playoffs, i.e. 70% of the league made it. That would be equivalent to 21 teams making it today (or 20 or 22 if you want an even number).

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Adam1987 View Post
    1984 was the first year of the 16 game format. There were 23 teams in the league, so only 7 of them missed the playoffs, i.e. 70% of the league made it. That would be equivalent to 21 teams making it today (or 20 or 22 if you want an even number).
    I think they should adjust and go with either 20 or 22 teams.

Self-described 'purists' would object, but I think it could help the league. Gives 4-6 more fanbases more of a reason to give a **** when things aren't going so well. At least those teams have a puncher's chance at making some noise. It's the NBA. Even the worst team can beat the best team occasionally. I'm not saying it'll become like the NCAA tournament, but it would be more interesting than the way things are now. Less lottery teams are a good thing IMO.

A side-effect for the current NBA is some of those West teams would stop getting screwed by the current formatting.

Self-described 'purists' would object, but I think it could help the league. Gives 4-6 more fanbases more of a reason to give a **** when things aren't going so well. At least those teams have a puncher's chance at making some noise. It's the NBA. Even the worst team can beat the best team occasionally. I'm not saying it'll become like the NCAA tournament, but it would be more interesting than the way things are now. Less lottery teams are a good thing IMO.

A side-effect for the current NBA is some of those West teams would stop getting screwed by the current formatting.
    On first thought at least I like the idea of more playoff teams... with this caveat- Add a round of playoffs. Give the top teams a bye. Then let the bottom teams that made the playoffs play a best of 3 or best of 5 series. If you add one round then you could add 4 teams. Then the 2 winners advance to play the #1 seeds in the next round.

That way fans have some hope of their low seeded team actually advancing a bit.

I like the idea of giving teams a little more hope... And I wonder if a shot at the playoffs would help both fans and players stay energized longer if they aren't out of the equation too soon. And this might actually make a difference in the tank or playoffs debate. Even change how some teams attack rebuilding.

I haven't put a whole lot of thought into this but the idea intrigues me considering some of the alternatives.

Ideally I'd like to see the regular season shortened. If expanded playoffs could also do that... sign me up!
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:

You know I would hate to not be able to watch the NBA, but I think a lockout would be a good reality check for the owners and players.

They need each other, but the players are starting to forget it's a privilege to be in the NBA and making millions of dollars for a living, not a right. While the owners need to realize these players are making them millions of dollars as well.

I think a lockout would allow both parties to see what they're missing

Quote Originally Posted by BillS View Post
    But here is the question - would a league of half a dozen super teams be better for the NBA as a whole?

For all that we hate the outcome, there's no question that the Miami Heat Basketball Association has more viewers and more league-wide profits than it has in many years. Putting Miami on national TV for every game has been hugely successful.

Just because we would be one of the teams that would be losing money and mired in perpetual mediocrity doesn't mean our experience is the experience at the league level.

Bottom line is that WWE style entertainment seems to make more money for the NBA than a competitive sports league. I fear that we'll see the NBA turn into that in the next decade.
    I think you're underestimating the influence of fans who have local NBA teams. As those teams begin to lose money and eventually fold, the league as a whole will be hurt badly, as most fans will just walk away rather than adopt a new team. Short-term gain, long-term loss.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Shade For This Useful Post:

It surprises me that nba fans are willing to put up with the same teams year in and out in the finals--Boston and LA for the most part with San Antonio as an outlier. Also amazing why fans knowing their teams won't win are still fans. Not so in the NFL nearly as much where the superbowl champs often crash and burn the following years.

Quote Originally Posted by pwee31 View Post
    You know I would hate to not be able to watch the NBA, but I think a lockout would be a good reality check for the owners and players.

They need each other, but the players are starting to forget it's a privilege to be in the NBA and making millions of dollars for a living, not a right. While the owners need to realize these players are making them millions of dollars as well.

I think a lockout would allow both parties to see what they're missing
    I think a simultaneous lockout in the nba and nfl will be required to change things.

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    I think you're underestimating the influence of fans who have local NBA teams. As those teams begin to lose money and eventually fold, the league as a whole will be hurt badly, as most fans will just walk away rather than adopt a new team. Short-term gain, long-term loss.
    I would hope they would see it that way. However, I think the league already thinks that the vast majority (as in 80%-90%) of people who watch the NBA (notice I avoid the word "fan") are doing so to watch the so-called "best player(s)" and don't care about a team.

That would mean that, in their eyes, the most they would lose would be the 10%-20% who only watch out of loyalty to a team, and if they can gain more by having superstar teams that are on TV every single night and getting sellouts when they tour to a city, they'll do it.
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

I would gladly be in-favor of an extended playoffs along with chipping away at the 82 game regular season. More playoff games + less regular season games would be a good thing I think.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Adam1987 View Post
    It's not just Indianapolis. It's Detroit (they fill to the same capacity as us). It's Philly. It's Sacramento, Memphis, Atlanta, Minnesota, Washington, etc etc etc.

The NBA is in great shape if you're looking at the Lakers, Celtics, Bulls, Knicks, Heat, Mavericks etc. Unfortunately, there are 30 teams in the league, many of whom are struggling. The NBA is a very top-heavy league. Yes, the NBA has a good mix of old and young stars who are very popular right now along with some very exciting elite teams, and yes, things are gravy if you're one of the fortunate ones. But there are too many teams in the NBA and way too many cellar dwellers who have no fan interest in the places they play in.
    It has always been that way

TV ratings for the NBA are the best they have been since Michael Jordan and in some cases they are better than they have ever been.

I link this because this IMO shows that it just isn't the Heat on TV all the time, or the Lakers. This shows the general overall interest in the NBA right now is as high as it has ever been.

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/201...-for-tnt/83283

In preliminary numbers, NBA All-Star Saturday Night on TNT scored record numbers in preliminary Nielsen data, averaging 8.1 million viewers. That’s the best showing in for TNT in 26 years of covering The Event, easily topping topping the previous record in 2009 by 23% and up 49% versus last year’s coverage that went up against the Olympics. It also topped the October 26 season opener between the Miami Heat and Boston Celtics that scored 7.43 million viewers for TNT.

With adults 18-49 The Event scored a 3.7 rating (4.85 million adults 18-49), easily the highest-rated program in the adult demo on Saturday night.

http://www.sportsmediawatch.net/2011...star.html#more

Boosted By Griffin, NBA All-Star Saturday Night Soars on TNT

NBA All-Star Saturday night earned cable's largest NBA audience, excluding playoffs, in seven years.

TNT earned a 4.4 U.S. rating and 8.090 million viewers for NBA All-Star Saturday night, according to Nielsen fast-nationals, the largest audience in the 26-year history of the event.

Saturday's telecast was up 42% in ratings and 49% in viewership from last year (3.1, 5.441M), and up 13% and 23%, respectively, from the previous record set in 2009 (3.9, 6.554M).

Viewership peaked from 10:30-11 PM ET, as 10.4 million viewers tuned into the NBA Slam-Dunk Contest. Clippers F Blake Griffin won the dunk contest, after a crowd (and advertiser) pleasing dunk over the official car of the NBA.

This marks the fourth time in five years that NBA All-Star Saturday Night has attracted a record audience. The lone exception was last year, when the event aired opposite NBC's coverage of the Winter Olympics.

For some perspective, All-Star Saturday Night outdrew the 2009 MLB Home Run Derby on ESPN (4.0, 6.418M) and the 2010 NHL SuperSkills Competition on Versus (0.7, 1.183M).

NBA All-Star Saturday night drew the largest audience for any non-playoff NBA telecast on cable since the 2004 NBA All-Star Game (8.190M). In other words, Saturday's festivities drew more viewers than each of the last six actual NBA All-Star Games.

http://www.sportsmediawatch.net/2011...p-35.html#more

NBA All-Star Game Overnight Up 35%

Overnight ratings for the 2011 NBA All-Star Game increased by over a third.

TNT earned a 6.2 overnight rating for Sunday's All-Star Game, up 35% from last year.

The 6.2 is the highest of the season for an NBA game on cable, topping Heat/Celtics on Opening Night.
    Last edited by Unclebuck; 02-21-2011 at 12:59 PM.

And yet the league continues to lose money, as a whole. I don't know what else to say.

When you're getting your best ratings, and most of your teams are losing money, you got a problem.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Since86 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    Just because you have always done something does not mean it is right......

Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    And yet the league continues to lose money, as a whole. I don't know what else to say.

When you're getting your best ratings, and most of your teams are losing money, you got a problem.
    The economy is a factor here. Most teams have lowered and or discounted their ticket prices.

Also even if TV ratings went up for 1000% that doesn't mean the TV contracts the NBA has with TNT, ESPN/ABS changes - so NBA teams don't see any increase in national TV money until they sign the next contract.

Quote Originally Posted by vapacersfan View Post
    Just because you have always done something does not mean it is right......
    My point was that is just the nature of the NBA - 1 great player can make a huge difference and typically as long as that one great player is on a certain team that team will continue to be near the top of the NBA. No doubt the NBA is the most difficult sport to move up or move down - teams get locked in - unless you lose or acquire a Lebron James type player

The economy is a factor here. Most teams have lowered and or discounted their ticket prices.
    Which also explains how Vancover folded so quickly? Or why Seattle lost a team. Or why Charlotte lost a team. Etc.

That's way too easy of an answer. The problem has been there for years and years, prior to the economy tanking.

I'm not saying it's not part of the problem, but let's not act like the Pacers were turning a profit before the economy went south.

EDIT: Also, the NFL is making money left and right in this economy.
    Last edited by Since86; 02-21-2011 at 03:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    Which also explains how Vancover folded so quickly? Or why Seattle lost a team. Or why Charlotte lost a team. Etc.

That's way too easy of an answer. The problem has been there for years and years, prior to the economy tanking.

I'm not saying it's not part of the problem, but let's not act like the Pacers were turning a profit before the economy went south.

EDIT: Also, the NFL is making money left and right in this economy.
    You changed the discussion. I thouight we were talking about why teams were losing money right now even if the TV ratings are very high.

It's not fair to compare any other sport league to the behemoth that is the NFL in America.
    Report: 82% Of Wiseguys Think They're Real Funny

26. The Following User Says Thank You to MrSparko For This Useful Post:

You changed the discussion. I thouight we were talking about why teams were losing money right now even if the TV ratings are very high.
    I'm talking about why teams are losing money, period.

They've been losing money before the economy. That's my point. The economy has just taken a bad situation and turned it worse.

Quote Originally Posted by MrSparko View Post
    It's not fair to compare any other sport league to the behemoth that is the NFL in America.
    Shouldn't related fields, like sport associations, try and follow the NFL gameplan?

When one sport is going through the roof with their system, while you're league is wading through red ink, why wouldn't you try to become more like them?

This isn't the second grade where "copycats" are frowned upon.

I'm not saying that the NBA should just adopt the NFL system, clearly it has it's own problems, but some of it should be part of the NBA system.

Like franchise tags, or a hard salary cap. Other solutions are out there, and have been proven to work. The foolish thing to do is ignore them.

Yes and no. There have always been cellar dwellers, but the excess in expansion means there are far more now than there were 25 years ago.

Expanding to Toronto and Vancouver. Dumb dumb dumb. Giving Charlotte a franchise a mere two years after the Hornets left? Completely unnecessary.