Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Will Hansbrough be a first ballot Hall of Famer?

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Will Hansbrough be a first ballot Hall of Famer?

With so much emphasis I guess on the amateur ranks by the Hall does it mean that Tyler becomes a instant HOF guy? He is one of the most decorated NCAA players of all time. Played for the biggest program of all time.

If his career tragically ended tomorrow, would he get in the HOF before Reggie?
    House Name: Pacers

House Sigil:

House Words: "We Kneel To No King"

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Will Hansbrough be a first ballot Hall of Famer?

Its interesting you bring that up, because I didn't think of it. He is a guy who won National Player of the Year, a Championship, and broke several records in college for one of the most decorated programs.

I still think he needs to accomplish something in the NBA first, but he was the face of college basketball for a while.

As absolutely ridiculous as this sounds in the title, it's an interesting thought. One of the best college players ever, sure. Had a ton of success. Stayed four years.

But the entire body of work, college...pro...he needs more. His numbers aren't absolutely earth-shattering in any particular year. He's the type of player that needs to have legit success in both college and the pros. I don't see him being a multi-allstar in the NBA. Could he get there once in a crazy year? Ehhh...

No, I think his college career will be viewed as "modern era" and won't have the mystique of an earlier similarly successful college career. And because of that, he probably won't ever be considered for the hall of fame, let alone first ballot. Unless he shocks everyone and goes on to have an insanely successful pro career.

I think the HOF should allow players to be in (potentially) two different times, as a collegiate athlete and then separately as a pro. In that scenario, a guy like John Wall wouldn't make it in as a college player, but he'll obviously have a shot as a pro.

But I don't think that's how they'll ever do it.

So no, I don't think Tyler will be in the HOF.

The PTI guys were debating the Reggie snub yesterday and they brought up and interesting player that they felt would get into hall of fame, who really had a lackluster pro career and that's Christian Laettner.

He was mention b/c if Mullin gets in, Laettner would be the only player from the original Dream Team that is not in the Hall of Fame. Him getting in would be strictly based off his college career and that gold medal on the Dream Team.

The system is so ridiculously flawed that I would not be shocked at all if Tyler got consideration over someone like Reggie Miller. Any Basketball Hall of Fame that doesn't have Slick Leonard, Mel Daniels, or Roger Brown in it is not a Basketball Hall of Fame.

Does anyone remember how unstoppable Rajah was in the '69 and '70 playoffs? That was some of the greatest enjoyment in all of basketball watching him annihilate the competition.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to O'Braindead For This Useful Post:

Some of the names mentioned make you wonder. Are the Pacers as a franchised black-balled from the Hall of Fame or something?

Custom User Titleist
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

My question is whether Justin Bieber will be a first ballot inductee? After all, he just won the MVP of the celebrity All Star game over Scottie Pippen, one of the 50 greatest players in the history of the NBA and other NBA stars, in his very first appearance in the game...

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

True to the question only, no way Hans had that caliber of a career IMO. His numbers aren't gaudy enough, so dramatically better that other players paled in comparison in his era. He was a 4 year guy as much because he was never seen as a top 5 pick as it was that he just had the college jones going.

Look at Tim Duncan's numbers vs Hans for comparison, especially the GROWTH of those numbers. Going from 20-10 back to 20-8 with a prior 20-8 just doesn't break new ground or knock people's socks off.

Good player in a good program, that's not enough. He didn't carry his team, his teams were well rounded and worked together on a high octane offensive system.

Keep in mind that one of his main competitors for POTY was Luke Harangody, and that Luke put up similar numbers for a famous school that had decent teams while he was there. I can't imagine that too many people would press the argument that Luke would be considered for HOF for his similar college career.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Brad8888 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    My question is whether Justin Bieber will be a first ballot inductee? After all, he just won the MVP of the celebrity All Star game over Scottie Pippen, one of the 50 greatest players in the history of the NBA and other NBA stars, in his very first appearance in the game...
    Eh, I could win the MVP of the celebrity All-Star game if I was given a chance to play.

The NBA needs to make their own HOF. The one in Springfield is a ****ing joke.

13. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    The NBA needs to make their own HOF. The one in Springfield is a ****ing joke.
    It's pretty much the college HOF. It's shocking how many mediocre college coaches are in there.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Eleazar View Post
    Eh, I could win the MVP of the celebrity All-Star game if I was given a chance to play.
    No you couldnt it is the fan vote. Scottie had a lot more points than Biber and his team won. But the fans didnt vote for him.

Quote Originally Posted by Eleazar View Post
    Yeah, if you're one of the Jonas Brothers

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pwee31 For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by pacer4ever View Post
    No you couldnt it is the fan vote. Scottie had a lot more points than Biber and his team won. But the fans didnt vote for him.
    It wasn't the fan vote. It was the "never played or seen a basketball game before in their entire life but is watching because of Bieber teenage girl" vote.

You should have seen Twitter and Facebook blow up when he got killed on CSI the other night. It was incredibly entertaining.
    "Nobody wants to play against Tyler Hansbrough NO BODY!" ~ Frank Vogel

"And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Sandman21 View Post
    It wasn't the fan vote. It was the "never played or seen a basketball game before in their entire life but is watching because of Bieber teenage girl" vote.

You should have seen Twitter and Facebook blow up when he got killed on CSI the other night. It was incredibly entertaining.
    i kno but they are consider fans

Taking the Celtics five. michealwilliams4's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by oxxo View Post
    It's pretty much the college HOF. It's shocking how many mediocre college coaches are in there.
    That's how Tyler will get into the HOF. He's ruining his chances by playing in the NBA, honestly, and if he hopes to get in, he should probably retire from the NBA asap.

But if he chooses to risk his future enshrinement by daring to have a good professional career, he should be all right if he can go on to coach a college program for 15-20 years on one Sweet 16 appearance.

But that's probably the only way since he's been a Pacer for almost two years. He's really handicapping his chances given the fact no one who's played two full years or more for Indiana is in the Hall.

Quote Originally Posted by Naptown_Seth View Post
    True to the question only, no way Hans had that caliber of a career IMO. His numbers aren't gaudy enough, so dramatically better that other players paled in comparison in his era. He was a 4 year guy as much because he was never seen as a top 5 pick as it was that he just had the college jones going.

Look at Tim Duncan's numbers vs Hans for comparison, especially the GROWTH of those numbers. Going from 20-10 back to 20-8 with a prior 20-8 just doesn't break new ground or knock people's socks off.

Good player in a good program, that's not enough. He didn't carry his team, his teams were well rounded and worked together on a high octane offensive system.

Keep in mind that one of his main competitors for POTY was Luke Harangody, and that Luke put up similar numbers for a famous school that had decent teams while he was there. I can't imagine that too many people would press the argument that Luke would be considered for HOF for his similar college career.
    I think you're underrating him a bit. He was one of the best college players ever, imo. Player of the year and national championship (different years, but still..). If you only based the hall of fame soley on College, he'd be in it no question.

crazy shinaniganz BringJackBack's Avatar

General question: How good were Mel Daniels, Roger Brown, and George McGinnis in their primes? I wasn't around so I'm curious. They put up some huge numbers on good teams so they must have been pretty dang good.

Quote Originally Posted by Sookie View Post
    I think you're underrating him a bit. He was one of the best college players ever, imo. Player of the year and national championship (different years, but still..). If you only based the hall of fame soley on College, he'd be in it no question.
    I agree with you. How many Player of the Year winners won a national championship too? Add those two together and he is one of the greatest "college" players of all time - just like Tim Tebow. Just do not confuse pro with college?

Obviously I like Tyler. However, all the best players are out of the NCAA's after one or two yearsr now...so it simply doesn't mean much IMHO. IOW, I don't think it should hold much weight.

With that said, I'd prefer that he make it to first string before we talk about first ballot.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNGold View Post
    Obviously I like Tyler. However, all the best players are out of the NCAA's after one or two yearsr now...so it simply doesn't mean much IMHO. IOW, I don't think it should hold much weight.

With that said, I'd prefer that he make it to first string before we talk about first ballot.
    I'm sorry, but I strongly disagree. He had one of the most decorated college careers EVER. You simply can't punish him because most people don't stay four years. If anything, he should be rewarded for setting a great example.

I'm not saying the fact that he stayed four years should put him there obviously, but the body of work he put in while he was there should.

On a side note, correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought I read somewhere that Reggie was #2 on UCLA's all time scoring list only behind Kareem...or Alcinder. Its not like he wasn't a good college player. Having that type of career at a school like UCLA is no joke - granted, his teams didn't have much success.

Saying Hansbrough didn't carry his North Carolina teams is ridiculous.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    Saying Hansbrough didn't carry his North Carolina teams is ridiculous.
    No its not.

I'm a UNC fan. I watched a ton of games. They also had Ty Lawson, who was clearly the most talented player on that team, Wayne Ellington who was a good college player, and Danny Green who was a good college player.

Hansbrough was the guy who dominated, but he definitely didn't carry the team. The team would have been better without Hansbrough than they would have been without Lawson.

Quote Originally Posted by Sookie View Post
    Seth is a Duke fan who thinks Gerald Henderson is a good player...

30. The Following User Says Thank You to Dr. Awesome For This Useful Post: