Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Reggie Miller Doesn't Make Cut For Hall Finalists

Default Re: Reggie Miller Doesn't Make Cut For Hall Finalists

So who are the "finalists" if Reggie is not? I couldn't seem to figure this out.

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I would not have been surprised if he didn't make it in, but I am shocked he isn't a finalist. 'Nique was on the final ballot even though he didn't make it that first time, as I recall.

Not being a finalist signifies very much that he is completely out of mind HoF-wise and may indicate he won't get in.

BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

3. The Following User Says Thank You to BillS For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Some of you are missing the point. The ridiculous part of this whole thing is not that Reggie isn't going to go in the hall as a 1st ballot guy. The ridiculous part is that he isn't even being considered as a finalist to see if he can be voted in on his try. When you look at the players who are finalists this year, it makes the whole Hall of Fame voters committee look like absolute morons.

Do I think that Reggie is a first ballot Hall of Famer? Meh, maybe or maybe not. Do I think that Reggie should at least be up for consideration to be in the Hall of Fame? You bet your *** I do, and anyone who thinks otherwise is a damn fool.
    Grown Man Ball

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to SMosley21 For This Useful Post:

Custom User Titleist
    Mood

In my opinion, Reggie is likely a victim of being from a small market with no championship and likely a slew of voters who never paid much attention to the Pacers as a result of those factors. All they probably see from Reggie is a souped up Robert "Big Shot Bob" Horry who happened to score more points. Obviously, nothing could be further from the truth.

I guess that is why the hall of fame (yes, it deserves no capitalization from me anymore) is exactly that - a hall of fame as opposed to a true recognition of accomplishments on the basketball court.

What a power trip it must be for those who deny first ballot status, especially to a player who ended up 14th on the all time scorers list on top of his clutch accomplishments despite willfully deferring to his teammates to keep them more involved for the good of the team and enhancing its performance.

Huck the fall and the voters who carried out this hatchet job.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Brad8888 For This Useful Post:

As long as Stainonajock Tidewa****outakoff the 1972 Olmpic Russian basketball team locker room assistant gets in I'm ok with it.
    You know how hippos are made out to be sweet and silly, like big cows, but are actually extremely dangerous and can kill you with stunning brutality? The Pacers are the NBA's hippos....Matt Moore CBS Sports....

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by BillS View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I would not have been surprised if he didn't make it in, but I am shocked he isn't a finalist. 'Nique was on the final ballot even though he didn't make it that first time, as I recall.

Not being a finalist signifies very much that he is completely out of mind HoF-wise and may indicate he won't get in.

I agree. Not even making it to the final ballot is a very bad indictment. This is ridiculous when you think about the class that he was up against.

Does this mean Chris Mullin is a finalist? He was on the original Dream Team and had a great college career but did he leave the impact on the game that Reggie did?
    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81
    Larry is not coming back, he didn't have a meeting with Orlando for not reason, yeah he is coming back to the NBA but not to the Pacers, the notion that he is a taking a year off and then come back is absurd.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    GOOD GOD THAT'S LARRY BIRD'S MUSIC!

Ridiculous. Not even a FINALIST? The basketball 'Hall of Fame' is such a joke. The NBA really needs to make their own. It's long overdue.

Mood

I think it's about time for Simmons to make his Pyramid idea in French Lick a reality.

I just saw the list of finalists.... this is just plain ridiculous. Not being admitted is semi-understandable (though this year's list is weak), but not even being a finalist is ludicrous. Honestly, with this weak of a class and not even being a finalist... I would not be surprised if he never makes it in.

Custom User Titleist
    Mood

So, the next question is will Reggie be involved on the TNT broadcast of the All Star festivities where the finalists will be announced, or will he ask to be excused from that?

Edit:

Obviously the announcement of the finalists is being made today. I didn't realize that when I made the post. I thought the announcement was going to be made sometime during the All Star festivities.
    Last edited by Brad8888; 02-18-2011 at 02:15 PM.

A happy Roy is a good Roy DaveP63's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

and
    http://www.grantland.com/blog/the-tr...nce-stephenson
    "But, first, let us now praise famous moments, because something happened Tuesday night in Indianapolis that you can watch a lifetime’s worth of professional basketball and never see again. There was a brief, and very decisive, and altogether unprecedented, outburst of genuine officiating, and it was directed at the best player in the world, and that, my dear young person, simply is not done."

Hall of Fame committees are a joke. All of them.

i will argue anybody to the death about his "lacking per game numbers" because people need to understand the style of ball played during reggie's era and why he didn't average more points. his offensive efficiency numbers rank him as one of the top 5-10 offensive players in the game. you just don't lead a team to as many playoffs as he did, to as many ecf's as he did against some of the greats of all time with ****ing rik smits and jalen rose as your sidekicks without being a hall of fame player.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to croz24 For This Useful Post:

Maybe this snub (not even a FINALIST people, we aren't upset that he wasn't inducted) will help the cause for a separate hall? I don't know about you all but I'm sick of seeing random college coaches and refs getting in over much more deserving NBA stars. It honestly seems like whoever is on the selection committee are those 'only the college game is real basketball!' types.

Quote Originally Posted by BillS View Post

This is what I was thinking too... To not even make the list of finalists puts him on shaky ground to ever be in the HoF. According to the article he didn't even make the final cut to be considered for the HoF. So it's not just that he won't be a first ballot inductee, he won't even be on the first ballot to begin with.

I personally agree with Kegboy's stance but knowing how the process plays out, and knowing how the arguments for/against Reggie's chances to make the HoF have always been discussed, not even making the ballot starts to make those in the minority that argued Reggie hasn't had a HoF career look like it might be the sentiment of voters for the selection process.

Not making the hall in his first year is one thing.... Not even making final consideration for the ballot is another. I call
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

Quote Originally Posted by oxxo View Post
    Ridiculous. Not even a FINALIST? The basketball 'Hall of Fame' is such a joke. The NBA really needs to make their own. It's long overdue.
    Hall of Fame a joke? I mean where else can you go to see the Harlem Globetrotters basketball that made the first ever 4 point shot. No I am not joking, the Hall of Fame actually has the ball on display.
    You know how hippos are made out to be sweet and silly, like big cows, but are actually extremely dangerous and can kill you with stunning brutality? The Pacers are the NBA's hippos....Matt Moore CBS Sports....

Taking the Celtics five. michealwilliams4's Avatar

What's this nonsense about first ballot? Either you're in or you're not. If Reggie is a HOFer, he's a HOFer. I wasn't aware they segregated all non-first ballot players to above the urinals and in the stalls.

I suppose Paul Pierce and Ray Allen are first ballots because they were fortunate enough to be gifted each other's talents (plus one of the best players of our generation) despite being perennial losers their entire careers?

22. The Following User Says Thank You to michealwilliams4 For This Useful Post:

WOW!

Ok, so it's well known that I've been one of the biggest "Reggie is a 1st Ballot HoF" supporters on the board...

Whether you agreed with that PoV or not, you have to admit that his exclusion from even the finalist list is just sad, wrong and despicable.

If I wasn't already disillusioned about the whole process, this is the icing on the cake. The HoF will never regain my respect.

Yeah, I'm a Pacers fan. MyFavMartin's Avatar
    Mood

Too many voters pulling for their 4th stringer that the obvious choice, who is assumed to get votes "from the other guys", gets screwed...

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MyFavMartin For This Useful Post:

Reggie probably hurt himself somewhat with his longevity. Had he retired after the finals run in 2001 he would have easily been a first ballot Hall of Famer. The last four years as a third option slightly deflated his per-game averages and percentages (probably the only thing voters look at).

The basketball hall of fame isn't worth worrying about, though. They'd much rather enshrine a Euro women's superstar or high school coach.

Quote Originally Posted by King Tuts Tomb View Post
    Reggie probably hurt himself somewhat with his longevity. Had he retired after the finals run in 2001 he would have easily been a first ballot Hall of Famer. The last four years as a third option slightly deflated his per-game averages and percentages (probably the only thing voters look at).

The basketball hall of fame isn't worth worrying about, though. They'd much rather enshrine a Euro women's superstar or high school coach.
    I wish Dick Bavetta would have been hurt by his longevity.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

Mood

I never expected Reggie to get in during his first year of eligibility. I did expect that he'd make it to the the finalists stage though.
    "Freedom is nothing else but a chance to be better." - Albert Camus

"Appreciation is a wonderful thing. It makes what is excellent in others belong to us as well." - Voltaire

Michael Pina, Red94: "There are so many different ways the Pacers can beat you. They have an All-Star scoring threat, imposing figures on the front line, steady point guard play, and most importantly, a defense that'll choke the life out of just about every offense that crosses its path."

30. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to gummy For This Useful Post:

There is one very important question that everyone has neglected to ask amongst all of this...

Did John Starks cut each member of the election committee a personal check, or just hand them cash in a bent envelope?

32. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Shade For This Useful Post:

Mood

press confernce on NBA TV right now

I know it's petty and in the grand scheme of things "not a big deal".

But this REALLY upsets me.