Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Autograph question about Tyler Hansbrough

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Autograph question about Tyler Hansbrough

From what I recall, Tyler had an exclusivity contract with a certain trading card company called Panini. I think I recall people not being able to get him to sign other trading cards from different brands at last year's STH party. Does anyone know if this is still the case? I ask because I have a really awesome rookie card of Tyler that I would like to get autographed today but it's made by Upper Deck.

This is the card in question...

If he still won't sign anything other than Panini, I have one of these that I could get signed...

/nerd thread
    Grown Man Ball

Default Re: Autograph question about Tyler Hansbrough

i have to say, i like the guy's game and all, but i hate the fact that this kind of thing gets so corporate. i would not myself ask someone for their autograph but for kids who go up to a guy like tyler, to get turned away due to corporate reasoning is horrible. tyler and other professional atheletes make enough money.
    "Sometimes, when you look Andy in the eyes, you get a feeling somebody else is driving." -- David Letterman

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kaufman For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Kaufman View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    i have to say, i like the guy's game and all, but i hate the fact that this kind of thing gets so corporate. i would not myself ask someone for their autograph but for kids who go up to a guy like tyler, to get turned away due to corporate reasoning is horrible. tyler and other professional atheletes make enough money.
    Yeah it does suck. Reminds me of Jerry Maguire when the little kid tries to get Brent Barry's autograph.
    Grown Man Ball

Southern Indiana; not far from Louisville, KY

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

He only does Panini. Normally he has a woman that is ALL OVER it--she's horrible. I'll post a pic later of her around Tyler at the Fan Jam lmao. You'd think she personally work for Panini or something lol. Personally, if she's not around him at the time, I think he'd sign it anyway, especially since you're a STH. Take it and your Panini rookies with you of Tyler and see what you can get away with. Remember, rub down the surface of your glossy cards as the ink won't stick otherwise (you can use a soft eraser for this).

6. The Following User Says Thank You to ChristianDudley For This Useful Post:

LOL, I am completely uninterested in sports autographs (although I did collect them at a young age and got a bunch of them) but this is absolutely preposterous. If I had a kid who was turned away because of that I would be hard presed to not deck the card rep. No wonder that job is given to a female. A guy would be in the hospital every week.
    Last edited by idioteque; 02-13-2011 at 02:40 PM.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to idioteque For This Useful Post:

He won't do them, and he knows what all the ones he can't sign look like now

10. The Following User Says Thank You to tikitomoka For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Kaufman View Post
    I get your point and I agree with it however there are some real scum bags that have no problem sending kids up to get autographs to then turn around and put them up for sale.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Peck For This Useful Post:

Fetus.
    *removed* Just keep politics and religion completely out of it, please.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Jon Theodore For This Useful Post:

This surprises me. If this is true I've lost a lot of respect for Hansbrough. Regardless of whatever contract he's under that's ridiculous. To turn down a very minor favor for the same people who pay your salary is insane. That's so ridiculously corporate and is really just a microcosm of the problems in pro sports.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    This surprises me. If this is true I've lost a lot of respect for Hansbrough. Regardless of whatever contract he's under that's ridiculous. To turn down a very minor favor for the same people who pay your salary is insane. That's so ridiculously corporate and is really just a microcosm of the problems in pro sports.
    Just a little more insight into it, Tyler was part of a group of 5 players that signed an exclusive contract with Panini at the same time, but the other 4 will sign non-panini cards (which technically violates their contracts). Hansbrough will not tho.

This is RIDICULOUS. Shame on TH for agreeing to do it, knowing the ramifications.

I gotta say, I had a chance to semi-meet several of the Pacers players today at the STH party and I was fairly put-off by Tyler when I went through the line for him. Just not in a good mood and could tell he did NOT want to be there AT ALL. I don't know what kind of day he was having or what was going on in his head, so I'm not complaining...I'm 100% satisfied with his basketball contributions, and I don't envy the players having to do some of the PR things they are required to do. I feel for them sometimes. I really do. I purposely avoid trying to talk to them or bother them, even if I see them in public somewhere, so I was happy to be able to get some of my own photos signed by the players who were in the photos during a time when they were there to sign and interact a bit, and it wouldn't be a case of intruding into their personal lives...

THAT is why I was so put-off by Tyler. It's not like I stopped him in the mall or after practice or a game...For the 5 minute period or so that I was waiting in line close enough to see/hear his interactions and then when I was getting my sigs, I garnered enough of an opinion to walk away thinking, "What a Di&K."

Sorry, Tyler. I calls 'em like I sees 'em...Hope you were just having a bad day/hour/5 minutes and your day (and demeanor) improved...

RESIDENT COUNTING THREAD PHILOSOPHIZER

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by heywoode View Post
    This is RIDICULOUS. Shame on TH for agreeing to do it, knowing the ramifications.

I gotta say, I had a chance to semi-meet several of the Pacers players today at the STH party and I was fairly put-off by Tyler when I went through the line for him. Just not in a good mood and could tell he did NOT want to be there AT ALL. I don't know what kind of day he was having or what was going on in his head, so I'm not complaining...I'm 100% satisfied with his basketball contributions, and I don't envy the players having to do some of the PR things they are required to do. I feel for them sometimes. I really do. I purposely avoid trying to talk to them or bother them, even if I see them in public somewhere, so I was happy to be able to get some of my own photos signed by the players who were in the photos during a time when they were there to sign and interact a bit, and it wouldn't be a case of intruding into their personal lives...

THAT is why I was so put-off by Tyler. It's not like I stopped him in the mall or after practice or a game...For the 5 minute period or so that I was waiting in line close enough to see/hear his interactions and then when I was getting my sigs, I garnered enough of an opinion to walk away thinking, "What a Di&K."
    Sorry, Tyler. I calls 'em like I sees 'em...Hope you were just having a bad day/hour/5 minutes and your day (and demeanor) improved...
    He is always like that
    Last edited by pacer4ever; 02-13-2011 at 10:14 PM.

B U T L E R..U a Bulldog!

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Many players in all different leagues do the same thing. That doesn't mean they have a bad attitude or are bad people. It's not like they all don't want to give someone an autograph unlike KG who tells a kid they have a better chance of finding bin laden than getting an autograph.

Quote Originally Posted by pacer4ever View Post
    He is always like that
    I'm not the biggest Tyler fan, but let me say that he is definitely NOT always like that. I was toward the end of the line, and he seemed happy to sign an old magazine that I'd brought. He signs his full name. Yes, it's kind of sloppy and difficult to decipher every letter of his name, but better than most doctors, and it hasn't changed since he left college. He could just as well scribble his initials like a few other players do, and with his long name, who could blame him. But he took his time at least with my item. I also saw him share a laugh with the person in front of me.

Tyler is not Mr. Warmth. He really wasn't engaging people when he was there at the card table. Quite a contrast with Foster. Also, D. Jones, A. J. and Danny seemed to genuinely enjoy themselves at the kids tables. I chalk part of it up to youth, and part up to personality. Hopefully the player relations people can coach him a bit.

I know people make excuses for their own players, and call other players a jerk and such..but to be fair to Tyler..some people are just shy and have a little trouble in social situations. It may not mean they are a jerk.

23. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sookie For This Useful Post:

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Sookie View Post
    I know people make excuses for their own players, and call other players a jerk and such..but to be fair to Tyler..some people are just shy and have a little trouble in social situations. It may not mean they are a jerk.
    He doesnt have trouble in social life he has a slamin GF.

He doesnt have trouble in social life he has a slamin GF.
    That's not the same thing. And he's an NBA player..so duh.

He is always like that
    That's not a valid excuse. That just means he's ALWAYS a Di&K...

Good to hear that his day DID improve after we went through the line. I'm not gonna cry myself to sleep about it tonight, just an observation that I wasn't impressed with his social skills or his ability to look beyond his own feelings for about 3 hours. Either way, I still love the guy on the court and I'm fine...
    Last edited by heywoode; 02-13-2011 at 10:25 PM.

RESIDENT COUNTING THREAD PHILOSOPHIZER

I can tell you that there is at least a good possibility that he did not fully understand the ramifications when he signed his deal. The players rarely, and sometimes never actually get to see the cards that are going to be produced by a given company during any particular year; this illustrates just the tip of the iceberg in terms of lack of communication between the player and the card companies. My understanding is that much of the stuff is done behind the scenes with the player's agents. Some players have special staff that deal with memorabilia but this is generally something that only the big time athletes have. In Tyler's case, I could see his agent telling him that he should sign a deal with Panini, which was the only major company to have a license with the NBA this last year. And oh, by the way, this will be an exclusive deal. The limitations for signing probably were not one of the first things mentioned to Tyler when the deal was finalized. Not saying that he shouldn't have known better, but it is common for athletes to be caught like a deer in headlights when they make the transition from college (or high school) to pro.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to joeyd For This Useful Post:

Mood

That's not a valid excuse. That just means he's ALWAYS a Di&K...
    pretty much. At least every time I've been around him he as been that way.

I Want Pacers Autographs pristinecollector's Avatar

I'd be happy with a "You're welcome" when I said, "Thank you."....But, that's half the players not just Tyler lol.

I Want Pacers Autographs pristinecollector's Avatar

BTW, here is a video of Tyler and TJ signing at tonight's STH party. Watch it and make your own judgments on their demeanor:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tG9_NvO4sto

As an aside....although Tyler wasn't talkative with me he did give me one hell of a nice graph on my 16x20!
    Last edited by pristinecollector; 02-13-2011 at 10:59 PM.

Both hansbrough and mcbobs are, and always have been, the two most unfriendly guys on the team. If you guys are looking for good interaction, lance PG dahntay or TJ are the way to go

33. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tikitomoka For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by pristinecollector View Post
    BTW, here is a video of Tyler and TJ signing at tonight's STH party. Watch it and make your own judgments on their demeanor:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tG9_NvO4sto

As an aside....although Tyler wasn't talkative with me he did give me one hell of a nice graph on my 16x20!
    Looks like business to me.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

35. The Following User Says Thank You to Peck For This Useful Post:

RWB

I can't speak about Tyler to much as I refused to stand in the lines today to get Autographs (I just got them when they were at the tables even though they probably were not supposed to) but I can relay a funny story between Tyler, a kid with a Tar Heel jersey & D. Jones.

So this young kid, probably between 9-12, goes up to Tyler and get's him to sign his N.C. jersey. Tyler, who smiled the whole time, did so and then tells the kid "why don't you get that big guy to sign his name on here as well" (yes he was pointing at Dahntay). Kid walks over to D. Jones and say's "Tyler said you should sign my jersey". Once he looks down and see's it's an N.C. jersey he goes "hell no" (excpet it was more drawn out and he was obviously joking with the kid). Dahntay signed the kids hat instead and all the while Josh is sitting there about to snort his sprite through his nose from laughing at this.

BTW, Josh & Dahntay were absolutely a blast today.

Now to Tyler's defense I can tell you that Josh said he was about to drop over from being tired and around 4 he just kept yawning over and over all the while Dahntay is calling him weak.

However I do get the feeling that Tyler would prefer to not mingle much with the general populace.

In fact he kind of reminds me of Bird when he was a player, he wasn't Mr. warmth and sunshine either.

37. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Peck For This Useful Post: