Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Should we "uncork" McRoberts?

Droppin' knowledge, yo. Mackey_Rose's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Should we "uncork" McRoberts?

Quote Originally Posted by colts19 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I would like to see someone make a list of the top ten power forwards in the league along with their ages and see how far Josh is off from being one of them. I just don't see that many great PF in the league.
    http://bleacherreport.com/articles/5...ba-team/page/1

I know everyone hates Bleacher Report, but this guy made a list to work with anyway. I don't happen to agree with the rankings much at all.

It's from early January, so it might be a little dated. I already see that Detroit is listed as Charlie Villanueva, but Greg Monroe is now starting there.

I actually believe that power forward is the deepest position in the NBA. Several people here have stated that Josh is the "worst starting power forward in the league."

30. Channing Frye (PHX) 27 years old
    29. Jeff Green (OKC) 24 years old
    28. Greg Monroe (DET) 20 years old
    27. Kenyon Martin (DEN) 33 years old
    26. Jason Thompson (SAC) 24 years old
    25. Antawn Jamison (CLE) 34 years old
    24. Andray Blatche (WAS) 24 years old
    23. Ersan Ilyasova (MIL) 23 years old
    22. Josh McRoberts (IND) 23 years old
    21. Boris Diaw (CHA) 28 years old
    20. Amir Johnson (TOR) 23 years old
    19. Brandon Bass (ORL) 25 years old
    18. Kris Humphries (NJN) 26 years old
    17. David Lee (GSW) 27 years old
    16. Luis Scola (HOU) 30 years old
    15. Paul Millsap (UTH) 26 years old
    14. Elton Brand (PHL) 31 years old
    13. LaMarcus Aldridge (POR) 25 years old
    12. David West (NOH) 30 years old
    11. Chris Bosh (MIA) 26 years old
    10. Amar'e Stoudamire (NYK) 28 years old
    9. Zach Randolph (MEM) 29 years old
    8. Dirk Nowitzki (DAL) 32 years old
    7. Josh Smith (ATL) 25 years old
    6. Tim Duncan (SAS) 34 years old
    5. Kevin Garnett (BOS) 34 years old
    4. Carlos Boozer (CHI) 29 years old
    3. Kevin Love (MIN) 22 years old
    2. Blake Griffin (LAC) 21 years old
    1. Pau Gasol (LAL) 30 years old

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Mackey_Rose For This Useful Post:

This thread is dumb. Josh doesn't have any NBA talent, let alone being in the top half of the starting PFs. /green

Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    I'm not really sure how I want to word this, but I feel as if Josh McRoberts has an extremely unique skill set for someone of his size. It's probably why there was so much hype around the guy in high school and college (cdash for king of the obvious). But here's my question: Should we start trying to utilize more of this guy's skill set? Maybe let him handle the ball and try to take it to bigger, slower guys who can't stay with them. He looks to pass a little too often, I think he should be more aggressive around the rim. It's not like he has no post moves, it's just that he never uses them. He could draw a lot of fouls if he went at guys a little more. Basically, I think he is being underutilized on offense. What sort of things do you guys think he is capable of that might be a benefit to this team down the stretch?
    http://www.pacersdigest.com/showthre...t=61436&page=3

Quote Originally Posted by cdash
    I have some questions regarding Josh for anyone and everyone:

How high is this guy's ceiling? We need he's an athletic freak but how much better can he get defensively and offensively? Does he develop a three point shot? Add some sort of legitimate post moves besides dunking? I know he's only 23 and he's really athletic, but when I watch that guy play, I don't sit there and think he's got a wealth of untapped potential. That's not to say he doesn't have potential, but I just don't know how much better the guy is going to get, and I would be extremely hesitant to roll the dice on a 4 or 5 year deal starting at the MLE to find out.
    I find it interesting that these posts were made within the span of a week.

I don't think they are really saying different things entirely, just think it's interesting.

I'm not advocating a fix or Josh emulating Tyler (Tyler's game is something that can't be replicated unless you are an animal to begin with).

Josh does these things, but I want to see if we can't maximize the guy's unique talents. I don't want him to force shots, but I think sometimes he passes when he could easily score a basket or get to the free throw line.

I mean, I hear you and Mackey and others talk about how much potential this guy has, I am looking for ideas on how we can let loose some of that potential or else I fear that is all it will ever be. How can we maximize this skill set of his?
    I agree that he tends to pass out of chances to score too often. I think he is unselfish to a fault. I like him because I think he plays the right way, but sometimes you have to be a little bit more aggressive in regards to getting yourself buckets.

I don't think that comes naturally to him. He's a very gifted passer, and I think sometimes he gets too caught up in showing that off.

There is really no reason to even compare Josh and Tyler. Tyler thinks, "score, score, score, score, score, score, fight, score, score, score." It seems like he has been playing that kind of game his whole life and he just doesn't know any differently. I don't think Josh and Tyler are really even playing the same game. He has probably always been the best player on whatever team he played on since he was in grade school, and so his role has always been to be the primary scorer. He plays the same role now. Josh tries to create for his teammates first, and then tries to create for himself second.

I don't think that Tyler has the same kind of potential as Josh, because he lacks the length and athleticism that Josh has. They both have a place in the NBA and on this team, but it will be in completely different roles.

It's Josh's God-given natural athletic ability, combined with his superior skill as a passer and ball handler that sets him apart from most guys his age. Usually if a guy is as good of an athlete as Josh is, that's all he is. I don't think that is the case with Josh. He lacks the mindset of a scorer, but the ability is there I believe. He is quick enough to go around guys, and he can jump over guys if he needs to. I think it is just a matter of him figuring out that he has the ability as much as anything. I believe it's a confidence issue.

As far as unlocking his potential, I think having Vogel in charge is really going to help him. It's the first time he's had an NBA coach believe that he has a place in the league. Since Vogel took over, we have run a couple set plays for him to get a back screen and get a lob by the rim. That is a couple more than we ever ran for him before. I'd like to see more of that.

6. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Mackey_Rose For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Mackey_Rose View Post
    I know everyone hates Bleacher Report, but this guy made a list to work with anyway.
    I could argue a few of these rankings, but it's not that bad of a list. Josh has a looooooong way to go to sniff the top 10.

Play McRoberts and Price! BRushWithDeath's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by PacerDude View Post
    I could argue a few of these rankings, but it's not that bad of a list. Josh has a looooooong way to go to sniff the top 10.
    I agree. I would put him at 18. I think he is better than Humphries, Bass, Amir Johnson, and Diaw.

But of PFs 25 and younger he is top-5. He will probably never be a top-10 guy at his position but I do think he will be a very solid player for a long time.
    "I had to take her down like Chris Brown."

-Lance Stephenson

Good post Mackey Rose. I like Tyler's energy and aggression but sometimes he is selfish to a fault. And he just looks so un-coordinated and out of control on offense. I know you can say well he's just trying to draw the foul but lately they haven't been calling as many of those fouls so it just ends up being a bad shot. I don't want to start that whole Josh vs Tyler thing again but there were actually posters on here saying that Tyler is more athletic than Josh. I guess they don't know the meaning of athletic. And yes.....Josh does need to be a little LESS unselfish. He could be a scorer if he wanted to because he can finish at the rim. Tyler has his place for sure on this team but he needs to tone down a bit on that scorer mentality unless other options are not working.

Quote Originally Posted by presto123 View Post
    I like Tyler's energy and aggression but sometimes he is selfish to a fault.
    I dont't think Tyler is selfish. I just think he realizes he can't do anything else. He is a bad passer and knows it. His best option is almost always to try to score. He takes a lot of bad shots. There is no denying that. But I would rather have a bad shot than have him hold the ball for 8 seconds and then turn it over. He throws shots up that have no business going in but for some reason it works much of the time. If players get smart and go out of their way to avoid the foul, then it will be a bigger issue but the opposition hasn't fully wised up yet.

-Lance Stephenson

11. The Following User Says Thank You to BRushWithDeath For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by presto123 View Post
    Good post Mackey Rose. I like Tyler's energy and aggression but sometimes he is selfish to a fault. And he just looks so un-coordinated and out of control on offense. I know you can say well he's just trying to draw the foul but lately they haven't been calling as many of those fouls so it just ends up being a bad shot. I don't want to start that whole Josh vs Tyler thing again but there were actually posters on here saying that Tyler is more athletic than Josh. I guess they don't know the meaning of athletic. And yes.....Josh does need to be a little LESS unselfish. He could be a scorer if he wanted to because he can finish at the rim. Tyler has his place for sure on this team but he needs to tone down a bit on that scorer mentality unless other options are not working.
    Unfortunately, Tyler is the ONLY other scoring option in the low post we have besides Roy.

Quote Originally Posted by colts19 View Post
    Do you think Josh could be a top ten Power forward? . . We may be happy with him being Josh.
    Quote Originally Posted by PacerDude View Post
    Josh has a looooooong way to go to sniff the top 10.
    so far, i agree with both statements. josh may not be the worst starting PF in the league, but he is not far from it.

i haven't decided on josh. he is athletic, but imo, the same way jordan farmar is athletic. great legs on a so so body. josh does lots of things ok, but only passing really well. he seems to be better than the sum of his parts, but the sum of his parts is just ok.

for josh to be a good player, he has to rebound better, individually defend better, score in the low post better, score in the mid-range better and/or team defend better. all of these are things that he can do, but hasn't yet.

i think josh has played about as well as he can play this year. and that means he has played ok. but just that. he needs to get better at something or a couple of somethings to be part of the solution instead of part of the process. as he is right now, the pacers can get into the playoffs with him as the PF, but the pacers cannot win playoff games with him at the PF.

Quote Originally Posted by BRushWithDeath View Post
    I dont't think Tyler is selfish. I just think he realizes he can't do anything else. He is a bad passer and knows it. His best option is almost always to try to score. He takes a lot of bad shots. There is no denying that. But I would rather have a bad shot than have him hold the ball for 8 seconds and then turn it over. He throws shots up that have no business going in but for some reason it works much of the time. If players get smart and go out of their way to avoid the foul, then it will be a bigger issue but the opposition hasn't fully wised up yet.
    It's not that hard to make a pass back out to the top. A bad shot is the equilivant of a turnover.

If you don't have an open shot, pass it back out. It's not that hard, he can do it, because it does it multiple times a game. He just needs to do it a little more often. No one is asking him to get assists.

tyler looks like he is trying to pass some times, but doesn't always see where to pass. i assume that in time, the game will slow down for him and he will become a better passer. he looks like a willing passer, but not a good passer.

Josh tries to create for his teammates first, and then tries to create for himself second.

Too bad he can't play PG.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Justin Tyme For This Useful Post:

He could be a poor mans Lamar Odom.

Quote Originally Posted by graphic-er View Post
    He could be a poor mans Lamar Odom.

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Tyme View Post
    That's absolutely unrealistic!

How many PF's are averaging those stats right now? What other teams could McBob be starting for besides the Pacers? Josh has some nice skillsets, but let's not embellish them to the point of fantasy.
    oh now thats bullcrap .. First off I said I know he "could" put up them kinda stats.. I don't believe it is unrealistic AT ALL ..

You are acting like those stats are world-beater stats..
    If I may interject , in his final year as a Pacer , Troy Murphy was averaging
    14.6 points , 10.2 rebounds ,2.1 assists , 0.5 blocks and 1 steal per game .. Where exactly is he now and how's his career /pt coming along? /sarcasm

The only thing holding Josh back offensively is Josh .. He is more than capable... He is so used to being the 4th to 5th scoring option , being the "garbage man" if you will , that I believe he got in a comfort zone.. I believe Vogel will inspire and demand more from him on the offensive end.
    Quote Originally Posted by naptownmenace View Post
    Plumlee reminds me of a young Dale Davis. Good rebounding and he contests shots well on defense and his offensive game is very raw just like DD's was coming out of college.
    "If my answers frighten you, then you should cease asking scary questions."

Quote Originally Posted by Kemo View Post
    oh now thats bullcrap .. First off I said I know he "could" put up them kinda stats.. I don't believe it is unrealistic AT ALL ..

You are acting like those stats are world-beater stats..
    If I may interject , in his final year as a Pacer , Troy Murphy was averaging
    14.6 points , 10.2 rebounds ,2.1 assists , 0.5 blocks and 1 steal per game .. Where exactly is he now and how's his career /pt coming along? /sarcasm

The only thing holding Josh back offensively is Josh .. He is more than capable... He is so used to being the 4th to 5th scoring option , being the "garbage man" if you will , that I believe he got in a comfort zone.. I believe Vogel will inspire and demand more from him on the offensive end.

Again, it's unrealistic, but then you were in love with Travis Diener too.

http://www.pacersdigest.com/showthre...t=61436&page=3

I find it interesting that these posts were made within the span of a week.

I don't think they are really saying different things entirely, just think it's interesting.
    No one answered them then to my satisfaction, and no one has now. I'm getting a lot of "he is what he is" vibes.

No one answered them then to my satisfaction, and no one has now. I'm getting a lot of "he is what he is" vibes.
    I'll try to answer this:

The things that Josh needs to improve on are the things that NBA players typically can improve on.

The things Josh already does at a high level are the most difficult to improve. NBA players don't get more athletic as their careers progress. They don't get taller or longer. Their ball handling rarely improves much. Their passing rarely improves much.

His shooting will continue to improve because nearly all NBA players shooting improves as they age. All they do is shoot in practice and he has already improved every year since he's been in the league.

His rebounding will get better with more experience as he learns better angles to take.

His on-ball defense will get better with more experience.

The reason people see potential in Josh is because the things he already does well can't be taught. The things that he needs to improve on can be and generally are learned by players who put in the work. He'll be 24 years old at the end of this month. He should be hitting the prime of his career 3-4 years from now. But even what he does at this stage is pretty important to us. He'll never be a huge scorer. That isn't his mentality. But he'll be efficient offensively because he doesn't take bad shots. The rub is that he will occassionally pass up good shots. But I will take that to the alternative. I'd like to see him become more aggressive offensively. I would like to see him shoot at least 10 times per game. I think as he gets more comfortable that is a reasonable number. Danny Granger is a volume scorer. He needs 15-20 shots per game. Roy Hibbert needs 12-17 shots per game. Darren Collison is going to take 10-15 shots per game. I think Paul George will get to the point where he is taking 15-20 shots per game. Not every player's primary focus should be scoring. Almost all of our current team's focus is scoring. Josh's game is a good fit for players who like to score. His teammates love to play with him because they know he will make them better.

I don't think the Pacers will bring him back next year. I think they'll make a play at a bigger name PF. The only logical big name PF available is David West. I think that will be a mistake.

I would rather pay Josh $5-6 million per year then pay $10-12 million for David West. I think Josh is a better fit for the direction of the organization. David West will be 31 years old this summer. That is at best the tail end of his prime. I would rather pay half the amount for a player who will be just entering his prime a few years from now. If you sign David West you are committing $50-60 million to a guy who will be 36 when his contract is up. If you sign Josh you are committing $25-30 million to a guy who will be 29 when his contract is up. I just think that makes more sense.
    Last edited by BRushWithDeath; 02-18-2011 at 08:15 AM.

-Lance Stephenson

24. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to BRushWithDeath For This Useful Post:

Josh is 3 reb/gm away from being very special. I don't care if he scores much more than 10 per, when he gets those assists. I just think that if he could get to those boards like Foster then there is no reason to go after a free agent PF.

His shooting will continue to improve because nearly all NBA players shooting improves as they age. All they do is shoot in practice and he has already improved every year since he's been in the league.

If you sign Josh you are committing $25-30 million to a guy who will be 29 when his contract is up.

I realize you said "nearly", but I waited for Foster to improve his shooting for years to no avail. My view of McBob is Foster as both are energy players. Foster doesn't have Josh's handles nor as good of a passer, but Foster is a better rebounder, defender, and screen setter. Josh needs to develop a mid-range jumpshot and a back to the basket game. If he "can", then he'd be worth what some want to pay him.

You have listed both West and McBob at 5 year contracts. I believe with the new CBA that 5 year contracts are going to be a thing of the past, same with Bird rights 6 year contracts. My feeling is you don't overpay for McBob's
    potential until it comes to fruitition. If you have to pay 5-6 mil, then you limit the years and the # of years guaranteed to guard against an overpaid contract. If McBob doesn't like that, then so long and thanks for the memories.

We all are prideful in what we do well, and McBob isn't an exception. He sometimes falls too much in love with his abilities as in bringing up the ball like a PG only to have it stolen, as in the Pistons game, and then looks around with disbelief that the refs didn't bail him out with a foul call. Probably my biggest overall fault with McBob is his constant whining. It brings back memories of Stephen Jackson. Ugh. Then again the behind the back pass under the basket to a cutter for a basket a few games ago was a thing of beauty. Still even at what he can do, he's not worth 6 mil with hopes he'll improve to make that 6 mil worth paying him.

Twitter: @SuprCityIndyFan PacerGuy's Avatar

I would rather pay Josh $5-6 million per year then pay $10-12 million for David West. I think Josh is a better fit for the direction of the organization. David West will be 31 years old this summer. That is at best the tail end of his prime. I would rather pay half the amount for a player who will be just entering his prime a few years from now. If you sign David West you are committing $50-60 million to a guy who will be 36 when his contract is up. If you sign Josh you are committing $25-30 million to a guy who will be 29 when his contract is up. I just think that makes more sense.
    I agree here.
    I also think you need to look @ the '12 list of FA's to see why you do not want to over-spend, nor fill a position w/ a "solution" only to have a better, more attractve 'solution" be available later. I am not convinced the Pacers should sign a big FA n/y, because there really is not one. Wait & work an in-season trade. Maybe Utah wants to get something for D.Will if they suspect he is going to leave, & we do a deal centered around D.Collison &/or Granger. Posey & D.Jones expire as well, giving you more assets & more cap. If you can do something like that, now you hit the FA market looking really good to someone wanting to be on a winner for years to come.

I will be real interested on the numbers McBob & Ty put up these last 30 games or so. If their post coaching change numbers continue to grow & we continue to win, I think you look elsewhere to upgrade. Add a C/PF type(T.Chandler/J.Thompson) for sure for depth, but get your "killer/ finisher" later.
    "Larry Bird: You are Officially On the Clock! (3/24/08)"
    (Watching You Like A Hawk!)

28. The Following User Says Thank You to PacerGuy For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

1. Run a weakside lob pass off the pick and roll. McRoberts needs to be able to bail out Collison when a pick and roll doesn't get anywhere. That lob pass is a third of the assists that Chris Paul gets in New Orleans. It is an easy pass for a PG to make and typically the opposing PF or C is the helpside defense on a pick and roll, which frees up our big for the lob. Let McRoberts go get it.

2. He needs a spin move on the low block. That will lend itself to a turn around jumper.

3. He needs to roam weakside about 10-15 feet from the basket. When he receives the ball, he needs to be able to make one dribble to get around his guy and throw it down. From the three point line, he needs to dribble two or three times into traffic and that is a recipe for disaster. It is about a one dribble power move that ends up in either a dunk or a pull up jumper from about 5-8 feet.

4. Pick and roll. I think he needs to be utilized in the pick and roll more than any other player. I love the Granger/Hibbert PnR at the elbow, but McRoberts rolling to the rim reminds me of Blake Griffin and Amare Stoudemire (but obviously not as good). With practice, he should excel at the PnR, but he does need to work on that 15 foot jumper. He can hit it, but he just won't take it.

5. Josh is the type of guy that gets the game. He does everything outside of scoring. I love his defense. Does he have lapses defensively, yes. He always comes back to the bench and talks with Foster about the things he did defensively. He is getting better. His weakside awareness could improve some, but he is still inexperienced and that comes with experience. I think he and Brandon are integral parts to this team for their defensive contributions and efficient scoring. They both need to be more aggressive on the offensive end, but you have two guys who refuse to take bad shots. That's not a bad thing. They are going to be killer "role players" on a good team.

I just want him to develop into an efficient scorer, which he already is showing. His shot selection is great, but he needs to be more of a threat to keep his defender up on him. It will make it easier for him to power drive around them. When they decide to back off, he has an easy twelve footer to make them pay. I would like to see him work on a bank shot like Tim Duncan has. I don't expect him to be TD, but that shot would really solidify his effectiveness as a scorer. He absolutely needs to work on his jumper from the elbow. He needs to rise up a touch more on his jumper from that area. His height already makes him tough to contend, but if he rises up a little more from that area, he will have a lot of easy points from there.

cdash, I hope that is a little more along the lines of what you were asking.

edit: Another thing I wanted to say was that he needs to go up two handed for dunks more often.
    Last edited by pacergod2; 02-18-2011 at 09:59 AM.

30. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to pacergod2 For This Useful Post:

I realize you said "nearly", but I waited for Foster to improve his shooting for years to no avail. My view of McBob is Foster as both are energy players. Foster doesn't have Josh's handles nor as good of a passer, but Foster is a better rebounder, defender, and screen setter. Josh needs to develop a mid-range jumpshot and a back to the basket game. If he "can", then he'd be worth what some want to pay him.
    Josh has already improved his shooting more since he's been here than Foster has during his career. I think the defense and rebounding will improve with experience. I think he is at least as good a screener now. If he doesn't improve at all from what he is now, what is he worth? If he improves as much as anybody could hope for, what is he worth? I think you have to find a middle ground. You have to pay a premium to keep athletic big guys. When one is 24 years old you have to bet on some improvement.

Josh's shooting has improved in one summer more than Foster's has in 10 years. I think he'll continue that path. His defense and rebounding will keep improving with experience. I think he's already as good a screen setter.

You have listed both West and McBob at 5 year contracts. I believe with the new CBA that 5 year contracts are going to be a thing of the past, same with Bird rights 6 year contracts. My feeling is you don't overpay for McBob's
    potential until it comes to fruitition. If you have to pay 5-6 mil, then you limit the years and the # of years guaranteed to guard against an overpaid contract. If McBob doesn't like that, then so long and thanks for the memories.
    It's possible that 5 year contracts will be a thing of the past. But we can't assume that. We can only go off of what we know. You can pay Josh $5 million per and hope he becomes worth more or you can pay West $12 million and hope his game doesn't drop off to where he isn't worth that any longer. It makes more sense for a small market team to pay for potential because once a player reaches that potential, they have priced themselves out of the market.

We all are prideful in what we do well, and McBob isn't an exception. He sometimes falls too much in love with his abilities as in bringing up the ball like a PG only to have it stolen, as in the Pistons game, and then looks around with disbelief that the refs didn't bail him out with a foul call. Probably my biggest overall fault with McBob is his constant whining. It brings back memories of Stephen Jackson. Ugh. Then again the behind the back pass under the basket to a cutter for a basket a few games ago was a thing of beauty. Still even at what he can do, he's not worth 6 mil with hopes he'll improve to make that 6 mil worth paying him.
    Josh has gotten 4 career technical fouls. Stephen Jackson had 20 in his time with the Pacers alone.

The biggest point is that the things that Josh needs to improve on are the things that NBA players regularly improve on. The things he already does well are the things that NBA players do not regularly improve on. That is a big deal in my opinion.

-Lance Stephenson

32. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BRushWithDeath For This Useful Post: