Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Pacers/Detroit postgame thread

Default Re: Pacers/Detroit postgame thread

Quote Originally Posted by Evan_The_Dude View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Collison is a 2nd year player. Collison is a 2nd year player. I'll say it again... Collison is a 2nd year player. And at that he's playing the hardest position on the floor for his 3rd coach in 1.5 seasons. GIVE HIM A BREAK! I'm not a darn bit worried about him. We've seen him play enough games looking like a 5 year player to know he's better than this. I don't think he's dumb so I'm sure he realizes his potential too. He will be fine. Players make mistakes and the better players learn from them. He's a "better player".

As for this loss... It happens. Can't win every game. We've been winning and now they see what they need to do to win. Now that they lost, they see what they need to not do. Learn from this and come back stronger. We'll be just fine.
    PS... Evan_The_Dude??? You wish you were 1/78th of what Devin the Dude is. Maybe 1/18759th...

Quote Originally Posted by CableKC View Post
    I just watched the game on DVR but haven't gone through the thread. The only thing I really learned from the game is this:

Solo != Foster
    Was this a typo?

If anything I thought that if Jeff Foster would have played we would have won this game.

Chris Wilcox would not have had his own conga layup/dunk line going on and someone would have grabbed the rebound.

The fact that 104 year old Foster is this valuable say's two things. 1. He really has become a very good player. 2. We really really really need to be looking for a good backup center as the older Jeff gets the less available he is going to be.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Peck For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by dgranger17 View Post
    PS... Evan_The_Dude??? You wish you were 1/78th of what Devin the Dude is. Maybe 1/18759th...
    I don't even like Devin the Dude. I just like my screen name because my name is Evan and it happens to rhyme with Devin. Back to basketball though...

Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post
    Was this a typo?

If anything I thought that if Jeff Foster would have played we would have won this game.

Chris Wilcox would not have had his own conga layup/dunk line going on and someone would have grabbed the rebound.

The fact that 104 year old Foster is this valuable say's two things. 1. He really has become a very good player. 2. We really really really need to be looking for a good backup center as the older Jeff gets the less available he is going to be.
    I just thanked you but that was only after I read the 1st sentence. Jeff Foster can play in a Pacers uniform as long as he wants. He's extremely valuable. Fantasy Basketball wise, maybe not but when our backup big man is rebounding, tapping rebounds away from the opponent, taking charges, and giving 12 years of loyal service to the same franchise then I want him to stay. He needs to stay. If not, he needs to be like Rik Smits and show up to a bunch of games

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dgranger17 For This Useful Post:

I don't even like Devin the Dude. I just like my screen name because my name is Evan and it happens to rhyme with Devin. Back to basketball though...
    You don't like Devin the Dude? Wow, you must not like rap. I enjoy good country, good rock, good rap, good whatever so I'm pretty eclectic in my music selection. I can understand some people not liking Devin the Dude, but if you listen to rap and/or hip hop and you don't like Devin the Dude you have a problem,

Larry Vogel

Sports Logo

I will add my list of "excuses" for the loss:

1 ) Not having Foster next to Hansbrough made a huge difference. Solo tried to do his best impression...but Foster and Hansbrough has better chemistry and is a better fit together. Foster has more energy, is a WAY better rebounder, defender and scorer then Solo.
    2 ) The integration of BRush into the Starting and/or the Goon Squad really affected the chemistry as both the lineups and the Player are getting used to each other.
    3 ) Hibbert really kept us in the game. See what confidence does for a Player? I was screaming for everyone to get the ball to him in the 4th QTR cuz he was simply feeling it. As the Pistons announcers were saying...he was commanding a double Team...and is slowly getting to the point where he can be a reliable 1st/2nd scorer.
    4 ) I'll attribute our really crappy OT play to lack of energy. The lineup was really tired IMHO...I think that it would have been helpful to switch out McBob and Dunleavy and put in Hansbrough and PG....I even think that putting in AJ for DC would have made a difference.
    5 ) Stuckey posting up both AJ and DC....that was truly horrific...I don't even want to go into that. He was simply abusing them in the low post.

For those that complained about the effort....after playing the Heat where we essentially fought our way back and lost in the last 3 minutes of the game....we played the next night, trailed the vast majority of the game on the Road and fought back to tie the game in the 4th QTR to force the game to OT. We lost the game in a pitiful OT....but I just think we ran out of gas at the end. Nothing to be ashamed of.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

You don't like Devin the Dude? Wow, you must not like rap. I enjoy good country, good rock, good rap, good whatever so I'm pretty eclectic in my music selection. I can understand some people not liking Devin the Dude, but if you listen to rap and/or hip hop and you don't like Devin the Dude you have a problem,

Larry Vogel
    I'm a professional DJ that spins mostly hip-hop, rap & r&b (but not limited to that). I'm just simply not a fan of Devin The Dude. Nothin is wrong with me...

I'm a professional DJ that spins mostly hip-hop, rap & r&b (but not limited to that). I'm just simply not a fan of Devin The Dude. Nothin is wrong with me...
    Wow. Maybe in a club I might be able to agree with you about not playing DTD but he's in the top 15 of all time hip-hop (or rap) lyricists. I hope you disagree with me, because you would lose all credibility. How good are Dem Franchize Boyz?

Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    So the rumors of Jeff Foster's demise were a little premature? Shocked to hear it.
    The guy has had his haters and detractors on this board, and maybe now finally he is going to get some love. People post without knowledge of stats. There are some posters that prefer not to admit that they knew/know less than Bird and the coaches in regard to the rationale for keeping Jeff around, his surgery, injury status, etc. Fact of the matter is that he missed a few games (some due to coaches decision---who knows with JOB) early but except for the ankle injury he just got, which could happen to anyone, he's taken everything that opposing bigs have dished out.

There are folks that still want to see him traded. Well, without another big that can back up Hibbert much better than Solo can, say goodbye to the 8th seed. Don't want him re-signed? Better get with Bird about getting another big next season.

Having said all of this, I am thrilled with how Josh has been developing.

Taking the Celtics five. michealwilliams4's Avatar

Collison is a 2nd year player. Collison is a 2nd year player. I'll say it again... Collison is a 2nd year player. And at that he's playing the hardest position on the floor for his 3rd coach in 1.5 seasons. GIVE HIM A BREAK! I'm not a darn bit worried about him. We've seen him play enough games looking like a 5 year player to know he's better than this. I don't think he's dumb so I'm sure he realizes his potential too. He will be fine. Players make mistakes and the better players learn from them. He's a "better player".

As for this loss... It happens. Can't win every game. We've been winning and now they see what they need to do to win. Now that they lost, they see what they need to not do. Learn from this and come back stronger. We'll be just fine.
    Not to make excuses for Collison, but he's actually on his fifth coach in one and a half years. Byron Scott, Jeff Bower, and Monty Williams (Summer League), and then the two coaches here.

Regarding the loss, I couldn't believe this team was within striking distance all night despite playing some really terrible basketball. I mean, some really awful basketball. They win this if Jeff Foster plays despite how poorly they played, simple as that.

Wow. Maybe in a club I might be able to agree with you about not playing DTD but he's in the top 15 of all time hip-hop (or rap) lyricists. I hope you disagree with me, because you would lose all credibility. How good are Dem Franchize Boyz?
    Never said I don't play DTD. I play a lot of music that I'm not a fan of because it's not about what I like, it's about what an audience wants to hear. But I'd listen to DTD any day of the week over Dem Franchize Boyz.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Not to hijack the thread or anything, but I've been spinning records for about 12 years now (mostly hip hop), and Devin is not even close to being in the discussion for top 15.

Off the top of my head...

Rakim
    Krs
    Daddy Kane
    G rap
    Biggie
    Nas
    Jay
    Em
    Pac
    Redman
    Black Thought
    Ghostface
    Cube (pre hollywood of course)
    Mos
    Kweli
    Puffy (of course im kidding, devin does have the edge here)

As far as the game goes, i am extremely dissapointed with the loss tonight. Even considering the back to back/tough game the previous night factor, these are the games we need to start winning consistently if we are to "turn the corner" so to speak. Doubly bad headed into the all star break. Woulda been great for the team going into the break to pull out a game like this where they clawed back into it, sent it to ot and got the dub. I think it would have really sent them into a high going into all star weekend.

With that being said, i am still very happy with the direction we are going and the improvement we have all seen the past 10 games. Making the playoffs this year, if we can pull it off, will give our young guys a tiny taste of what its like to play under the bright lights and be a great learning experience for them in my opinion. We have the 20 mil and empty roster spots to play with this upcoming summer, things are generally looking more up than they have in quite some time.

The Wally Champ is back !!

Follow me on Twitter! @Hookjaw_Rox

Quote Originally Posted by Ant View Post

Rakim
    Krs
    Daddy Kane
    G rap
    Biggie
    Nas
    Jay
    Em
    Pac
    Redman
    Black Thought
    Ghostface
    Mos
    Kweli
    I'll give you roughly 12 on that list (obviously not including Puffy). Everything boils down to 100% opinion but I'd hope that two cats who "spin records" could put Devin in their top 20. Maybe not top 10 like i said... although his lyrics and beats are sick... but at least compromise that Devin is top 20 lyrically and/or beatically. Hype and popularity (or lack thereof) doesn't make you you good (or not good). Devin the Dude is great. He's not top 10, but he's top 30. If you disagree then you listen to too much radio and/or garbarge

I just thanked you but that was only after I read the 1st sentence. Jeff Foster can play in a Pacers uniform as long as he wants. He's extremely valuable. Fantasy Basketball wise, maybe not but when our backup big man is rebounding, tapping rebounds away from the opponent, taking charges, and giving 12 years of loyal service to the same franchise then I want him to stay. He needs to stay. If not, he needs to be like Rik Smits and show up to a bunch of games
    I'm confused.

What exactly are you disagreeing with me over? I am saying Foster is great, I'm just saying we need to add another big man to help out for exactly cases like this and frankly for when Jeff can't go anymore.

Better to have that person now, in fact another big banger could help extend Jeff's career.

In this game alone I believe Foster not being there was the difference between winning and losing.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

International Counter bellisimo's Avatar

Im looking forward to see how they come out after the all star break. This is our first "bump" with Vogel - lets see how they recover

18. The Following User Says Thank You to bellisimo For This Useful Post:

A happy Roy is a good Roy DaveP63's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I saw a team that was tired. Flat tired.
    http://www.grantland.com/blog/the-tr...nce-stephenson
    "But, first, let us now praise famous moments, because something happened Tuesday night in Indianapolis that you can watch a lifetime’s worth of professional basketball and never see again. There was a brief, and very decisive, and altogether unprecedented, outburst of genuine officiating, and it was directed at the best player in the world, and that, my dear young person, simply is not done."

Banned

Was this a typo?

Last edited by vnzla81; 02-17-2011 at 06:41 AM.

Here is a question for those who saw the games. Dunleavy started the last two games, but was pulled after a few disastrous minutes. Without those disastrous minutes at the beginning of the game, would we have won both games?

I understand that Dunleavy can bring a lot to the offensive effort, including things that do not show up in the stats, when he is "on." But here is the next question, if he is not traded soon, shouldn't we be using him, not as a sixth man, but as an eleventh man, an offensive booster as needed for the back-up squad? He probably would not hurt our defensive effort as badly in that role.

What exactly are you disagreeing with me over? I am saying Foster is great, I'm just saying we need to add another big man to help out for exactly cases like this and frankly for when Jeff can't go anymore.

Better to have that person now, in fact another big banger could help extend Jeff's career.
    My brother and I were talking the other day about what it is this team needs to add during the offseason with the new cap space that will be available. We were enjoying the fact that this team is pretty deep right now, so where would the biggest need be?

For much of this year people have talked about our biggest need being the PF position, but I think that talk has settled down a bit with the emergence of the McRoberts/Hansbrough combo.

And then you mentioned how we need another back up center, and that's the answer! That's the one position we AREN'T very deep, especially given Foster's age and suspect durability at this point. I would have guessed that he's older than 34, so he may have a few more good years left in him as a back up C, but looking for another quality C would be a good idea right now.

What I don't want to see is Hibbert being forced to carry the load at C all by himself. Draft a C now, or trade for a quality back up, and get deeper along the frontline.

Quote Originally Posted by joeyd View Post

People post without knowledge of stats.

Could you post the "6 mil dollar man's" stats from last season? Same with the 1st 17 games of this season too. It's easy to spend 12.6 mil of someone else's money for a part time employee isn't it?

I will agree Foster has been "contributing this season when he's been able to play". Bird overpaid for Foster's services, and it has cost Herb Simon millions doing so. If Bird re-signs Foster, it had better be for the vets minimum with Foster's age and history of health issues. Otherwise, he's overpaying Foster again.

And yes, the Pacers need another big, not next year but NOW. There is no guarantee Foster won't have another injury, and Solo isn't the answer.

It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Mood

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Major Cold View Post

We are talking about next year when foster is gone, the rumors is that teams still want Varejao and they could get him cheap.

Was this a typo?

Peck, you are about 7 or 8 years late to the Jeff Foster party. I know your reasoning, but as even you will admit your dislike for JO clouded your opinion of Jeff, and also your disgust over losing Brad Miller I think caused you to not appreciate Jeff. But I say welcome to the party.

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Ant View Post
    Not to hijack the thread or anything, but I've been spinning records for about 12 years now (mostly hip hop), and Devin is not even close to being in the discussion for top 15.

Rakim
    Krs
    Daddy Kane
    G rap
    Biggie
    Nas
    Jay
    Em
    Pac
    Redman
    Black Thought
    Ghostface
    Mos
    Kweli
    You left off Lupe Fiasco. He is better than half of the cats on that list. His albums are a good front to back, and he's not using "Nigga" ever other sentence.

This team needs an upgrade at SG immediately. We just aren't getting any sort of consistency from that position. I'd look to trade both Dunleavy and Rush for a solid SG who can give you points and defend.
    The rotation needs to be
    New player/ George/ Jones.

Until then move Dunleavy into the second unit to back up Danny at the SF. Minimize his exposure to good players who make him look like the worst Starting SG in the league.