Thread: The Goon Squad

Default The Goon Squad

I know this is being discussed in other threads, but I like the name and identity and thought it merited its own thread title.

I've really hoped, for years, for a second unit that had some swagger and an identity, well it seems like that day has come.

http://www.indycornrows.com/2011/2/1...-off-the-bench

by Tom Lewis on

2/16/11

The Indiana Pacers bench outscored the Miami Heat bench, 53-14 in last night's loss, which was impressive and futile at the same time considering LeBron James, Dwyane Wade and Chris Bosh combined for 90 points, doing enough damage on their own to win the game.
    But the Pacers took the best shot from the Heat's Big Three and stayed in the game until the closing minutes thanks to the second unit. Dwyane Wade had 22 first-quarter points and the Heat seemed to think they had an early knockout on their hands. But Indiana's second unit wouldn't have it.

A.J. Price and Dahntay Jones scoffed at the 22-point hole the Pacers were in after the first quarter and came out to start the second quarter intent on changing the tone of the game. Tyler Hansbrough, Paul George and Jeff Foster joined Price and Jones to just start making plays, deflecting passes, forcing jump shots and looking for any excuse to hit the floor and beat their Heat counterpart to the ball.

They epitomized the blood and guts, smash-mouth effort coach Frank Vogel preaches, picking the team up off the canvas to start throwing hay-makers at the Heat. What was once a 24-point deficit eventually became a 5-point lead for the Pacers which simply doesn't happen without the second unit coming together and going to work. As the chemistry of this group continues to develop, they've become a big asset.
    These guys need a nickname.

"We call ourselves the Goon Squad," Hansbrough said following the game. "We're going to go out there and do the dirty work, hustle and give a lot of energy. Be prepared."

Goon Squad works.

Hansbrough has no problem putting the goon in the Goon Squad with his willingness to join Jeff Foster in banging bodies in the paint.

"If someone's going to get an easy basket, they're going to have to go to the free throw line," Hansbrough said. "I'm not going to back down. I'm not a shot blocker, but I can jump and contest some shots and I will."

A.J. Price has run the show for this group off the bench and has lived up to his nickname, Juice in the past few games by energizing the Pacers off the bench.

"That's my role, that's my unit's role, the second unit we have to come in and bring energy," Price explained.

"We have an advantage by sitting there and being able to watch the game first. Especially from a point guard perspective, I get to see what needs to change, and I thought our tempo was too slow to start the game so I came in to tried to pick it up."

Price smiled and shook his head when asked about the Goon Squad.

"We definitely take pride in what we do as a unit, try to come in and out play the other second unit," Price said. "That's always our goal every single game to try to outplay them.

We did that tonight, but against a team like this you can't have lulls and lapses, you have to play for 48 minutes. We didn't do it down there in the fourth quarter when they beat us and we didn't do it up here in the first quarter tonight."

Paul George chuckled when asked about his role in the Goon Squad.

"We know when that second unit comes in we have to bring a spark," George said, continuing the familiar refrain of trying to change the game off the bench.
    "If the starters aren't getting it done, we know we have to get it done. Everybody is out there pulling for each other. It starts from us competing in practice and carries over to games."

George, by the way, is playing through a bout of sickness, dealing with a few coughing fits last night while playing as though he were 100% healthy. He said he feels like he's trending toward getting better, though.

Dahntay Jones echoed George's sentiments, and as a vocal leader in the locker room, Jones has the pulse of the Goon Squad and knows why it is coming together.
    "We have good chemistry," Jones said. "We practice together as a unit on a daily basis and we enjoy competing. That's the essence of us, all competitive, we compete at all types of things throughout the season and we enjoy competing together."

When asked about the Goon Squad, the post-defeat tone of Jones' voice perked up, as did Roy Hibbert sitting nearby offering some background commentary.

"That's right," Jones said, giving Hansbrough credit for the name. "(Hibbert: The Goon Squad!) We have an identity that we're not going to let you push us around. We're going to dive after balls, we're going to pick up full court, we're going to try to change the tempo (Hibbert: Goons), bring that energy. (Hibbert: Goonies!)"

After a tough loss last night, the Goon Squad will need to bring it again tonight in Detroit to make sure the Pacers head into the all-star break on a winning note.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Speed For This Useful Post:

Default Re: The Goon Squad

That's absolutely hillarious..

I thought about naming my rap group that... 6+ YEARS ago... But nothing ever became of it... ended up doing a different project lol..

I hope this name catches on for them around the NBA in establishing their identity..

Freakin awesome...

great article..
    Quote Originally Posted by naptownmenace View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Plumlee reminds me of a young Dale Davis. Good rebounding and he contests shots well on defense and his offensive game is very raw just like DD's was coming out of college.
    "If my answers frighten you, then you should cease asking scary questions."

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kemo For This Useful Post:

I love it. Hibbert is funny!

Maybe Dunleavy should stay in the starting lineup so he doesn't mess the Goon Squad up

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:

Rooting My Family 2 Glory CooperManning's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    Maybe Dunleavy should stay in the starting lineup so he doesn't mess the Goon Squad up
    I'll take door number three.

9. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to CooperManning For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Sounds like a 4th line in hockey to me! I love it, bring energy off the bench, challenge and encourage the starters to pick up their game, and make a statement to the opponents.

I like the way coach Vogel handles his substitutions, playing the bench-players together for extended minutes without messing up the chemistry by tweaking the lineup every timeout and try to adjust to the opponent.

Play McRoberts and Price! BRushWithDeath's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kemo View Post
    I thought about naming my rap group that... 6+ YEARS ago... But nothing ever became of it... ended up doing a different project lol..
    Probably a good decision.
    "I had to take her down like Chris Brown."

-Lance Stephenson

Hansbrough works hard in second NBA season

Monday, February 21, 2011
    By Toby Carrig ~ Southeast Missourian
    http://www.semissourian.com/story/1704862.html

The former Poplar Bluff star tested his progress last week against the Heat

INDIANAPOLIS -- With Psycho T and the goon squad, the Indiana Pacers sound more appropriate for the NHL than the NBA.

Tyler Hansbrough, who earned the nickname Psycho T during his college days at the University of North Carolina, headlines the Indiana Pacers' second unit along with 2010 first-round draft choice Paul George.

"We call ourselves the goon squad because we're not the prettiest basketball players, not the smoothest basketball players," Hansbrough said last week, "but we try to get the dirty work done."

Hansbrough and his goon squad provided a spark Tuesday night in the Pacers' marquee game with the NBA Eastern Conference-leading Miami Heat.

With the Big 3 of Dwyane Wade, LeBron James and Chris Bosh in town in front of a sellout crowd of 18,165, the Pacers lost 110-103.

They trailed at one point 41-19 before making a charge in the second quarter and eventually taking the lead in the second half.

Hansbrough, a Poplar Bluff, Mo., native who was drafted 13th overall in 2009, finished with 16 points, doubling his season average. He also had five rebounds. George, taken 10th overall last spring, had 14 points and five rebounds. He was 3 of 4 on 3-pointers. The Pacers' bench scored 53 points, but the Heat's Big 3 had 90, led by Wade's 41.

"It was like a playoff experience," George said. "And myself being a rookie who has never been through the playoffs, it felt nice to be in a surrounding like this.

"By far, this was one of the most energized crowds that we've had and atmosphere that we had. It was nice to see that a lot more Pacers fans showed up this time. Usually when we've got big names coming in, the opposing team is packing our house. So it was nice that our fans were packing our house this time."

Said Hansbrough: "When you play a team like that, everybody's going to come out of the woodwork and come out to the game. It's an exciting place to be, and unfortunately we didn't get the win."

Under a new coach

The Pacers had been winning since Jan. 30, when Jim O'Brien was relieved of his coaching duties and replaced by interim coach Frank Vogel.

The Pacers won seven of their first eight under Vogel, losing only at Miami, before a two-game losing streak to go into the All-Star break. They followed the loss to Miami at home with a loss to Detroit.

"Frank has come in here and given us a lot of confidence," Hansbrough said. "He's really helped everyone out. He's a much better communicator than previous years.

"Everyone likes Frank, and we want to play hard for him, and we don't want to disappoint him."

While Hansbrough is a second-year pro, this essentially is his rookie year due to inner ear problems that limited him to 29 games last year.

"I'm glad it's all behind me, and I'm just trying to learn as much as possible," Hansbrough said.

He is forming a bond with the rookie George.

"I'm looking for Tyler constantly," George said. "I know what he can do in the post with that sweet jump shot turnaround. I tell him all the time, 'If I can find you, I'll get you the ball.' I like to see him go to work."

Hansbrough likes to be back at work, showing the kind of work ethic that made him 2008 national player of the year and led the Tar Heels to the 2009 NCAA championship.

"I've improved my game a lot, definitely my outside jumper," Hansbrough said. "That's something I've had to develop because guys in the league are much bigger, and I can't just get to the basket and shoot over them all the time like I did in college. So it's a learning process, and I'm learning to grow as a player.

You have to love these guys. Paul's a great player in the making who's looking to pass. These guys love being the second team coming in and have an identity which I think really has a lot to do with Vogel. Hansbrough's comments about JOB and Vogel leave nothing to really be guessed at....communication was bad with JOB and they didn't like JOB and thus didn't try as hard as they do for Vogel. I really feel the guys want Vogel back next year because they know he will be much better to them than most of the alternatives (esp. personality wise) and know the best way to do it is for them to win.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pacerfan For This Useful Post:

I have to admit, I doubted the talent of a lot of the guys on this team. In a Hollinger chat thread earlier this season I said we didn't have the players to compete in the playoffs this year. I'm glad I was completely wrong.

v my fave #13, sorry PG ECKrueger's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Speed View Post
    A.J. Price has run the show for this group off the bench and has lived up to his nickname, Juice in the past few games by energizing the Pacers off the bench.

"That's my role, that's my unit's role, the second unit we have to come in and bring energy," Price explained.

"We have an advantage by sitting there and being able to watch the game first. Especially from a point guard perspective, I get to see what needs to change, and I thought our tempo was too slow to start the game so I came in to tried to pick it up."
    I liked this part. I like that A.J. is not just sitting on the bench casually watching the game, he is trying to figure out how he is going to change it when he gets in.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to ECKrueger For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by CooperManning View Post
    I'll take door number three.

I bet Kobe drained that shot. He might even have got an "And-1" as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81
    Larry is not coming back, he didn't have a meeting with Orlando for not reason, yeah he is coming back to the NBA but not to the Pacers, the notion that he is a taking a year off and then come back is absurd.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    GOOD GOD THAT'S LARRY BIRD'S MUSIC!

I think it would be awesome to get a Goon Squad shirt made with all our players on it..

Use The Goonies font on the letters and background style of shirt..

Quote Originally Posted by naptownmenace View Post
    Plumlee reminds me of a young Dale Davis. Good rebounding and he contests shots well on defense and his offensive game is very raw just like DD's was coming out of college.
    "If my answers frighten you, then you should cease asking scary questions."

Talking Re: The Goon Squad

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    I'm fine with Dunleavy being in either the 1st or 2nd unit...just as long as it's on another team.

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to IndyPacer For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Just saw on Twitter, Channel 13 will be doing a piece on the Goon Squad at 5:50.

22. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Day-V For This Useful Post:

crazy shinaniganz BringJackBack's Avatar

Ooohh.. I got chills watching them on the floor for all of those loose balls on channel 13.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Here is the Channel 13 article:
    http://www.wthr.com/story/14071485/p...uth-basketball

Eric Yutzy/Eyewitness Sports

Indianapolis - The Pacers get back to the court Tuesday in Washington, DC. Under Coach Frank Vogel, they are 7-3 and they are playing like tough guys.

In fact, for the Pacers these days, there is no substitute for toughness.

"Smashmouth basketball. Blood and guts. Never quitting. All heart, all hustle," said Frank Vogel, coach.

For the Pacers' substitutes, toughness is the only way to bully your way onto the court

"Any loose balls are ours. No second shots. That's kind of our motto," said Tyler Hansbrough, Pacers forward.

"Tough team. When you come to the paint, they put you on the free throw line and foul you, not make it easy," said Dwayne Wade, Heat guard.

"If someone is going to get an easy basket, I'm going to foul you. I'm not going to back down," said Hansbrough.

The blue and gold bench is making their name by playing black and blue basketball. That toughness carries all the way to the end of the bench. The second unit proudly calls themselves the Goon Squad, and it comes with an attitude and an intensity that every one of the embraces.

"We call ourselves the Goon Squad and we take pride in it because we come in there and do the dirty work," said Hansbrough.

"Second unit is the Goon Squad. We try to get in there and do the dirty work," said Paul George, Pacers rookie forward.

"As a unit every single game we only have one goal and one objective and that's to outplay the other teams second unit," said AJ Price, Pacers guard.

Veterans Jeff Foster and Dhantay Jones, second year guys Tyler Hansbrough and AJ Price, and rookie Paul George have become essential to the Pacers' playoff hopes. They finally have the confidence of their coach.

"Our bench is better than most teams' benches. Every game it seems like I'm talking about how our bench gave us a lift. We have a good bench," said Vogel.

"We're not a second unit that comes in as a drop off. In some aspects we come in there and give us a big lift," said Hansbrough.

"No egos. Nobody cares who scores, nobody cares who rebounds, we just do it as a unit. Everybody together, one collective unit," said Price.

Good afternoon everybody! I am a new poster that has been reading the board for a couple years now and finally decided to get involved.

I'll start slow by just saying I love the nickname for the 2nd unit. It could have been the name for the Davis Duo in the 90's. Maybe the Pacers should make sure they have a goon squad on every team.