• Point Forward (pacer4ever)

1 1.52%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Paul George, SG or SF?

It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Paul George, SG or SF?

Since Paul George was drafted many had said that he is not a SG. And even recently I have seen posts saying that SF is his natural position. So which is it.

Wade was held to 4-14 shooting last night when George guarded him. He can guard the most electric SG in the league, I think the dude can be a starting SG for this team. So if that is true, why then do we always talk about trading Danny?

Play McRoberts and Price! BRushWithDeath's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Paul George, SG or SF?

What is the difference?

He is a wing.
    "I had to take her down like Chris Brown."

-Lance Stephenson

Droppin' knowledge, yo. Mackey_Rose's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Major Cold View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Since Paul George was drafted many had said that he is not a SG. And even recently I have seen posts saying that SF is his natural position. So which is it.

Wade was held to 4-14 shooting last night when George guarded him. He can guard the most electric SG in the league, I think the dude can be a starting SG for this team. So if that is true, why then do we always talk about trading Danny?
    Because he is the team's best player at this point. Many people (I am one of them) believe that in order for this team to be better, it needs to have a better best player.

It is possible (likely?) that George will grow into that role, but if he doesn't, it seems the only way to get a guy like that is to move Granger.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Mackey_Rose For This Useful Post:

It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Mood

Quote Originally Posted by BRushWithDeath View Post
    What is the difference?

He is a wing.

You would think, but people were hard bent to say that he CAN'T be as productive put next to Danny or even Dunleavy.

When Jones was out there he guarded Lebron.

Banned

Let's say Paul George becomes the most gifted scorer on this team and Danny stays. Does Danny have a problem with stepping into the #2 role or does he go prima donna on us?

Banned

As for the poll question─I have no idea. I would hope shooting guard, though.

I say wing. I think he can play both wing positions. How anyone can watch the way he is playing even at 20 years old and say there's no way he can learn either SF or SG is crazy to me. The typical 6'8' to 6'9" player would be too slow to play SG, but in case you missed...well, the entire 2010-2011 season thusfar, Paul George's athleticism and speed are NOT typical or average. I'm confident he will be able to handle either SG or SF at the pro level.

Depends who else is on the floor with him. The more important question is can he play with Granger and how effective can those two be. Can those two as a combo guard any and every 2 and 3 combo in the NBA?

I don't care if you call Paul a 2 or a 3.

Droppin' knowledge, yo. Mackey_Rose's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    Depends who else is on the floor with him. The more important question is can he play with Granger and how effective can those two be. Can those two as a combo guard any and every 2 and 3 combo in the NBA?

I don't care if you call Paul a 2 or a 3.
    I think they can when Danny wants to.

if you are going to play danny and paul together, which is going to happen at some point, danny is going to guard the bigger guy and paul the smaller guy. usually the smaller guy is a SG. but really in the pacer offense both positions are so similar to be the same. paul is a wing. so is brandon. so is danny. so is dahntay. so is mike. if you have the size and/or strength to guard a SF then a wing is a wing. if you cannot guard a SF, AJ for example, you are a guard.

also, don't trade danny. the 'let's trade danny so paul can play is natural position' talk is silly. finally the pacers have two really good players at the wing spots and a good third guy in brandon. that is a rotation that could be on an ECF team. trading to get your favorite player in his natural spot is dumb.

Mood

Linebacker.

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Major Cold View Post

OK, now, I haven't gone through the entire play-by-play, but at least one of those misses was a big block by Big Roy. Let's be careful of making generalizations.
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

I am one who has stated that George is a natural SF who is able to play the SG position just as well at this time in his career. There is no question that he is capable of playing both positions.

When playing the SG position, he would typically go up against short players and thus have a tremendous advantage in the post. But in playing the SF position he would typically go up against players that are not quite as quick, thus his ability to do whatever he wants offensively would be improved. As has been mentioned, at this point it doesn't matter; he makes a great wing who will take whichever advantage is made availabe to him.

At some point in the future, maybe even several years down the road, he is likely to become a more natural SF than SG, especially if an injury occurs.

But until then, we should enjoy it because at least right now, he is a very versatile player.

I think shooting guard is fine for him at this point. When you're quick enough to bother Wade, and Chris Paul, you're quick enough to guard anyone in the league. That's the main issue on defining whether someone can play SG or SF to me.

However, in the long run I think his speed and defensive abilities will translate to the SF position better in the long run. Mainly because a lot of SF's aren't as quick, or as good with their handles as guys at SG. He'd be capable of taking the ball from them easier, and disrupting anything they want to do. However, I think he needs to add a few pounds and some strength before he can play there a lot. Bigger SF's will post him up at this point.

As long as Danny is here, he's going to play SG regardless. Which isn't a bad thing for now, but I begin to question what will happen in 2 or 3 years. It's a good problem to have, either way.

Paul George is the epitome of why you draft the best player, every time, in every draft. Regardless of position. Imagine if we took Cole Aldich or Patrick Patterson because we felt we needed a big man. Ugh.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to xBulletproof For This Useful Post:

Mood

Let him work on his handles a little bit more and I think 2, he can drive but sometimes his handles just aren't there.

He can def guard the two though...

He can play either one. His defense on Wade in the 2nd and 3rd quarters was superb.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

Quote Originally Posted by Jared Sullinger View Post
    Let's say Paul George becomes the most gifted scorer on this team and Danny stays. Does Danny have a problem with stepping into the #2 role or does he go prima donna on us?
    I honestly have 0 doubt that Danny would more than welcome the chance to have a true #1. IF PG is the guy we think he can be... Danny is going to be that much more deadly.

I think right now with his athletic ability and quickness, he can play either. As he gets stronger and further develops his game, he could look more comfortable at one of the spots though.

Paul is a basketball player. It doesn't matter.

He said he's comfortable playing both wing positions, but prefers to play SG.

It also depends who's the other wing out there.

If it's Danny, then Paul plays the 2. If it's Brandon or Dahntay then he's playing the 3.
    Last edited by Trophy; 02-16-2011 at 07:16 PM.

crazy shinaniganz BringJackBack's Avatar

If he plays at shooting guard, he is going to be a huge mismatch with his length. If he's at small forward, he's going to have a huge mismatch with his smothering defense. Win-win situation for him, in my opinion. So he's just a wing.

You can't teach size, and he's got it. Play him at the 2 and abuse the smaller guys there.

Thumbs up Re: Paul George, SG or SF?

In addition to stating that George can play 2 or 3, I'd like to add that I want him to learn BOTH positions at a high level, although as others have already stated they are very similar positions in many ways. I love versatility.

Quote Originally Posted by BRushWithDeath View Post
    What is the difference?

He is a wing.
    Big difference. You don't want two 6'9 wings, a smaller SG is good for faster apposing SGs. for instance, how much did Wade score when we faced the HEAT?

Quote Originally Posted by JGray View Post
    Big difference. You don't want two 6'9 wings, a smaller SG is good for faster apposing SGs. for instance, how much did Wade score when we faced the HEAT?
    Huh? George and Rush have both given Wade significant problems and they are both taller than Wade.