Thread: Pacer's 2nd Unit

Default Pacer's 2nd Unit

I would like to hear your comments on the Pacer's second unit. I am wondering if there is a better second unit in the league? I have been very impressed with them.

Default Re: Pacer's 2nd Unit

I wish they'd run more plays for George. He's automatic from midrange. and is one of the better players at driving on th ePAcers. He needs to learn to finish better, though. Price has been playing more of a scoring guard, but I think it's necessary with the players on the floor.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to righteouscool For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Only thing missing is Jarrett Jack. I would love to have him on this second unit.

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Dr. Awesome For This Useful Post:

Custom User Titleist
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Awesome View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Only thing missing is Jarrett Jack. I would love to have him on this second unit.
    Agreed. Especially now that the focus has changed.

I think Jarrett Jack would be exactly what the second unit needs to be solidified, with Price then being the backup for both Collison and Jack, while Jack provides the veteran presence to help the two young guys mature.

Ford's expiring for Jack and filler, please!

I don't know about best in the league, but we are pretty deep.

We have a couple of guys who could start on mediocre teams, and I think our 2nd unit can give our first unit a run for their money during scrimmages.

I think the Pacers have always done a good job (at least since the mid-90's) in having a solid 1-15. If you excuse the roster from the year of the brawl, I would say we've rarely had any doubts that our roster is full of serviceable players.

I like it.

For a while I was on the "Dun should be a part of the second unit" mantra, but now I don't think so.

They are forming their identity as a fiesty, blue collar intense unit. The play very good defense, and have scorers to supplement the offense. They are young for the most part, but pretty talanted.

As others have said, I'd like to see George become the focus of the offense, but seeing as this is a new unit, I understand why it's much simpler to run a two man game with Hans and Price.

One thing I will say I like, is that Vogel has been playing the second unit some with Collison, and the starters with Price. It's giving the point guards a chance to create chemistry with all of the guys...and it's done in a very subtle "flowing" way.

Undefeated

Don't know about best in the league, but I do think they've got talent, and more than that, they know they're role and they play with a lot of pride. It's great feeling that our starters don't all have to have good games because we have a 2nd unit who will come in and play with energy and can help carry the team on any given night.

crazy shinaniganz BringJackBack's Avatar

Fun fact: Paul George shoots .58% from the field inside the three point line. That is simply amazing.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by BringJackBack View Post
    Fun fact: Paul George shoots .58% from the field inside the three point line. That is simply amazing.
    Thats what happens when you attack the basket. Why do you think LeBron's FG% is so high?

I'd say we've def got one of the best benches in the league but not the best (that belongs to the Spurs IMO). Not many teams can say their secod unit plays better D then the starters.

crazy shinaniganz BringJackBack's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Awesome View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Brad8888 View Post

I think Jarrett Jack would be exactly what the second unit needs to be solidified, with Price then being the backup for both Collison and Jack, while Jack provides the veteran presence to help the two young guys mature.

Jarrett Jack, Ramon Sessions, Luke Ridnour, and actually perhaps Earl Watson (If he stays aggressive at defense) would be very good backups for us in the future. They all have different games, but they do good at what they do. Jarrett Jack in toughness and leadership, Ramon Sessions in attacking and size, Luke Ridnour in passing and shooting, and Earl Watson in defense and facilitating.

However, there is a nice chance that AJ Price pans out and begins to play better like he did last season. I'll stay patient and not complain. I really am impressed with his defense and his understanding of feeding the hot hand. Maybe when he develops he is in the Jack/Sessions/Ridnour tier.
    Last edited by BringJackBack; 02-13-2011 at 09:53 PM.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Brad8888 View Post

I wouldn't be surprised if Jack is somehow acquirable ( during the offseason ) given his underwhelming performance with the Hornets so far and his $5 to 5.4 mil contract with 2 seasons after this one.

However, this would bring into question whether AJ can become a solid backup PG or not for the Pacers. My preference would be to go cheap and stick with AJ as the backup PG to Collison and have Jarrett Jack fill in the role as one of the SGs and a periodic 3rd option PG on the Team.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

The second unit is the smash part of this team. I have more confidence in them than the starters, to be honest. They should just view themselves as 10 starters IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNGold View Post
    The second unit is the smash part of this team. I have more confidence in them than the starters, to be honest. They should just view themselves as 10 starters IMHO.
    That is really how I see this team as well - 10 starters rather than 5. Take Hibbert out of the mix (his 7'2" frame makes a difference) and I see next to no difference between the two units despite Granger being on the first unit.

When you have 2 complete competent teams to throw against 1 every night you play it is like playing 2 on 1 - you've got a winner the vast majority of the time.

Pacer Pride, Colts Strong Kid Minneapolis's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo

We don't have starters or bench players. We have 1a and 1b.

Let's call our bench "1b".
    There are two types of quarterbacks in the league: Those whom over time, the league figures out ... and those who figure out the league.

After last night's game against Miami I will answer my own question - no there is not a better second unit in the league. There is pit bull fight in that unit, fight in those dogs. They never give in. Wonder how they would fair against our starters? It would be a battle.

The Pacers have one of the best bench in the NBA no doubt. Getting Jarret Jack would be awesome, but IMO it would create such a jam at our back court and not enough minutes to go around. Maybe Price would have to go, and I'm not sure that's a good move.

Tyler called them the Goon Squad.