Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 51 to 63 of 63

Thread: Autograph question about Tyler Hansbrough

  1. #51
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Oakland, CA
    Posts
    923

    Default Re: Autograph question about Tyler Hansbrough

    Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Basketball IS marketing and sales. All the other stuff goes right along with it. Just like practice.....
    We should have never drafted Tyler. His Combine scores on the handshake drills, baby kiss, and standing rapport were awful. He did pretty good on rapport when he had a running start though.

    All kidding aside, I agree that he should be giving his best on the PR bull**** (although suggesting its as important as basketball is absurd). Anecdotal reports indicate that he's doing alright, but needs to work on his consistency.

  2. #52

    Default Re: Autograph question about Tyler Hansbrough

    Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Basketball IS marketing and sales. All the other stuff goes right along with it. Just like practice.....
    Agrred. you are right on that my friend.

  3. #53
    Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Danberry
    Age
    55
    Posts
    11,549

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Autograph question about Tyler Hansbrough

    Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Basketball IS marketing and sales. All the other stuff goes right along with it. Just like practice.....
    But all we can ask is for him to do his best. Guys are going to be better at it or worse at it than others, but if it isn't their primary job get off their case.

    That'd be like getting on Spud Webb because he couldn't guard Shaquille O'Neal. Hey, playing defense is part of his job...
    BillS

    "Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

  4. #54
    Member Since86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Muncie
    Posts
    21,011

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Autograph question about Tyler Hansbrough

    Quote Originally Posted by judicata View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    All kidding aside, I agree that he should be giving his best on the PR bull**** (although suggesting its as important as basketball is absurd). Anecdotal reports indicate that he's doing alright, but needs to work on his consistency.
    I probably worded it wrongly.

    I don't mean it's as important as basketball when you sit back and you make a ranked list. I mean when you're in the moment, when you're at a STH function, it needs to be treated just as importantly.

    Whether people want to acknowledge it or not, kissing *** to the STH who pretty much pay a player's salary, is a big deal. Without STHs there isn't a Pacer franchise.

    I know it was before my time, but I'm sure some other posters can give their memories when the Pacers needed to have a telethon just to keep going.

    To sum it up "Don't bite the hand that feeds you."

  5. #55
    Member Since86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Muncie
    Posts
    21,011

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Autograph question about Tyler Hansbrough

    Quote Originally Posted by BillS View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    But all we can ask is for him to do his best. Guys are going to be better at it or worse at it than others, but if it isn't their primary job get off their case.

    That'd be like getting on Spud Webb because he couldn't guard Shaquille O'Neal. Hey, playing defense is part of his job...
    I know this. But if he's coming off as stand-offish then is it really his best?

    It's not all that hard to smile and interact with people.

    I don't want to seem like I'm trying to kick the guy, I like Tyler. I doubt he even knows how his actions are being perceived. But someone should bring it to his attention, in a totally "hey man, loosen up" kind of way.

    I thought you didn't like hyperbole statements? Getting a better attitude isn't anywhere near growing 17 inches in height and putting on 120lbs.

  6. #56

    Default Re: Autograph question about Tyler Hansbrough

    Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I know this. But if he's coming off as stand-offish then is it really his best?

    It's not all that hard to smile and interact with people.

    I don't want to seem like I'm trying to kick the guy, I like Tyler. I doubt he even knows how his actions are being perceived. But someone should bring it to his attention, in a totally "hey man, loosen up" kind of way.

    I thought you didn't like hyperbole statements? Getting a better attitude isn't anywhere near growing 17 inches in height and putting on 120lbs.
    Not really, a lot of people think that someone is being "stand-offish" when in actuality, they are just shy.

    Remember last season when an opponent asked Troy if Tyler ever talked..and Troy said no.

  7. The Following User Says Thank You to Sookie For This Useful Post:


  8. #57
    Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Danberry
    Age
    55
    Posts
    11,549

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Autograph question about Tyler Hansbrough

    Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It's not all that hard to smile and interact with people.
    You'd be surprised. For folks who aren't nervous about it, sure it isn't that hard. For anyone who is shy, it can be a worse fear than a fear of falling (not hyperbole, psychological studies have shown this). For someone with that kind of issue, it IS just as bad as asking a little guy to guard Shaq.

    Considering the "good" Tyler stories seem to be involving one-on-ones and the "bad" ones seem to involve when he is surrounded or crowded (like autograph sessions), I would say he has trouble with pressure situations involving bunches of people he doesn't know. It would be nice if he didn't, but we can't expect every NBA player to be personable beyond just not being an a$$ - and for someone who is shy, something seemingly as simple as not coming off as a jerk is a lot of work.
    BillS

    "Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

  9. The Following User Says Thank You to BillS For This Useful Post:


  10. #58
    Member Since86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Muncie
    Posts
    21,011

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Autograph question about Tyler Hansbrough

    I think I'm coming off a harder on him, than what I mean too.

  11. #59
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    6,316

    Default Re: Autograph question about Tyler Hansbrough

    Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I get your point and I agree with it however there are some real scum bags that have no problem sending kids up to get autographs to then turn around and put them up for sale.
    Are you serious??

    Edit...Figure what the he!! as I doubt I'll be doing it again. I was Peyton M's NO person for about 6 years, but I was pretty friendly about it and usually yelled at the idiots who pushed and shoved the kids. Usually every year Petyon would go over some items he could/would not sign, but as time went along (later years) he would ease up on things he wouldn't sign before. One thing that never changed was he would not sign an Official NFL football. For many years he refused to sign Sports Illustrated, but later would. He did not like signing jerseys or Colt shirts in general if the person was wearing the item. He did not like signing a person's body and the only time I witnessed an exception was the one Colt fan that is covered in tattoos. However, there were many times before he relented (two/three) years ago he would just ignore the tattoo guy.

    Back on topic with Peck's post. While my concern more than anything was to make sure somebody didn't get p!ssed and take a swing or something Peyton was always pretty insistent in looking for folks who had already received an autograph or the ebay dealers. Anyway one time this fat little chunk of a piggy kid kept trying to push his way to get and autograph and Peyton would refuse to sign. As Peyton would go down the line Petyon kept ignoring him. After about half and hour the kid would not give up and finally under my breath I tell him "this kid is pretty persistent, you want to sign his ball". Peyton kind of looks at me with a disgusted look and says yeah get the ball. Well I get the ball from the kid and Peyton signs it. I'm feeling pretty good for the kid since he was trying so hard. Next thing I hand it back to him and I hear "woo hoo, I just made $20 bucks". Talk about dagger stares from Peyton, he knew what the little *****s plan was and I didn't catch it.

    In a controlled setting absolutely the players can and should be accomodating, but as others have stated many of these guys even though they are in the limelight really are shy. And of course there are @sses as well.
    Last edited by RWB; 02-16-2011 at 03:46 PM. Reason: Oh, what the he!!
    You know how hippos are made out to be sweet and silly, like big cows, but are actually extremely dangerous and can kill you with stunning brutality? The Pacers are the NBA's hippos....Matt Moore CBS Sports....

  12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RWB For This Useful Post:


  13. #60

    Default Re: Autograph question about Tyler Hansbrough

    Quote Originally Posted by RWB View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Peyton was always pretty insistent in looking for folks who had already received an autograph or the ebay dealers. Anyway one time this fat little chunk of a piggy kid kept trying to push his way to get and autograph and Peyton would refuse to sign. As Peyton would go down the line Petyon kept ignoring him. After about half and hour the kid would not give up and finally under my breath I tell him "this kid is pretty persistent, you want to sign his ball". Peyton kind of looks at me with a disgusted look and says yeah get the ball. Well I get the ball from the kid and Peyton signs it. I'm feeling pretty good for the kid since he was trying so hard. Next thing I hand it back to him and I hear "woo hoo, I just made $20 bucks". Talk about dagger stares from Peyton, he knew what the little *****s plan was and I didn't catch it.
    Don't be too hard on yourself for that one RWB. You came to this with the idea that the kid might genuinely be trying hard to get the auto for himself. There are a lot of kids and even adults that might look like they want to get the auto to just turn around and put it on e-bay, but some are just well-prepared. At some events including the National Sports Collectors Convention, I see grown men carrying a stack of 8X10's but many are just being prepared for being able to get an auto from any number of players---but to any individual player, that might be enough to think that he was just out to make some money. In the end, you probably got some right and some wrong, but I think you probably gave people the benefit of the doubt, which is nice.

  14. #61
    Huge Member heywoode's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Indiana
    Age
    45
    Posts
    6,334

    Default Re: Autograph question about Tyler Hansbrough

    The biggest pass I can give for any of the players is that they ARE thrust in a difficult, stressful, and awkward situation. One can rationalize that it is "part of the job" and that is true, but it doesn't change the fact that it kinda sucks for them. I'm sure they enjoy it to some degree or for some length of time, but the HAVING to be there...

    Not having much of a choice on whether you can leave or not is never a good feeling, and to have all different kinds of people (with a WIIIIDE range of diversity, especially regarding intelligence and tact) pawing all over you and/or waiting in line just to see YOU would be incredibly intimidating. The Type-A personality players eat it up. The majority of them probably enjoy it and then deal with it even though it gets to be too much, and then there is another smaller percentage of players who have legitimate issues of shyness, or a$$ness I guess, or other things that make it REALLY uncomfortable. I feel badly for them...



    RESIDENT COUNTING THREAD PHILOSOPHIZER

  15. #62

    Default Re: Autograph question about Tyler Hansbrough

    The best way to approach these events is with cautious optimism and absolutely no sense of entitlement whatsoever. The players have obligations to fulfill in regard to team events with the general public as well as events that are more individualized in nature. With the former, they are all expected to attend unless there is illness or family emergencies, or last-second trades. With the latter, there are a certain number of things like coat or food drives, visits to hospitals or schools, etc, that each player must do, but I believe each is asked for a preference about type of activities they like. For example, some would probably prefer not to visit retirement homes! I'm sure there is a code of conduct that the Player Relations folks go over with the players. However, they cannot and do not ask players to change their personalities. I have never seen a player refuse to sign an autograph at STH events, but obviously there are limits to what a player may be willing to put his autograph on. I may not be happy about it but I respect the limits. Those folks lucky enough to sit in row 7 or lower at games can get a Bird autograph. But he only signs tickets. To me there is no difference between Bird and Tyler's refusal to sign or not sign specific items. Me, I'm happy to get anything!

  16. The Following User Says Thank You to joeyd For This Useful Post:


  17. #63
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    6,316

    Default Re: Autograph question about Tyler Hansbrough

    Quote Originally Posted by heywoode View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Not having much of a choice on whether you can leave or not is never a good feeling, and to have all different kinds of people (with a WIIIIDE range of diversity, especially regarding intelligence and tact) pawing all over you and/or waiting in line just to see YOU would be incredibly intimidating. The Type-A personality players eat it up. The majority of them probably enjoy it and then deal with it even though it gets to be too much, and then there is another smaller percentage of players who have legitimate issues of shyness, or a$$ness I guess, or other things that make it REALLY uncomfortable. I feel badly for them...
    Great post heywoode. I don't really want to turn this into a Colts thread, but thats where my experience has been. I've set in (actually stood) for other Colt signings and there is a vast difference between how players handle it. For example, Dallas Clark and Aaron Moorehead sometimes would be put together and and they would have fun with it by playing a game of guess the weight or sometimes age (like carnies). However if somebody was obviously a little on the heavy side they didn't push it. In the shy category and someone who didn't sign much was Bob Sanders. Most people would probably think he was/is stuck up and in fact he's one of the nicest guys on the team. I think everyone knows Jeff Saturday is at the top of the list for fan friendly. And on the bottom....yeah he was shy, but still such an @ss, Marvin Harrison.
    You know how hippos are made out to be sweet and silly, like big cows, but are actually extremely dangerous and can kill you with stunning brutality? The Pacers are the NBA's hippos....Matt Moore CBS Sports....

Similar Threads

  1. The Official Free Tyler Hansbrough Thread
    By pwee31 in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 66
    Last Post: 03-14-2011, 03:03 PM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-16-2010, 06:50 PM
  3. Montieth Hansbrough Article
    By MyFavMartin in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 47
    Last Post: 12-21-2009, 11:50 PM
  4. James Harden, Tyler Hansbrough impress in summer league [ESPN]
    By RoboHicks in forum NBA Headlines (RSS Feeds)
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-07-2009, 11:50 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •