Thread: Kings Remove Cousins from team plane after altercation

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Kings Remove Cousins from team plane after altercation

http://nba.fanhouse.com/2011/02/13/d...nto-kings-nba/

Quote Originally Posted by Fan House
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

Kings Remove DeMarcus Cousins From Team Plane Following Altercation
    By Sam Amick

SACRAMENTO, Calif. -- Kings rookie forward DeMarcus Cousins was removed from team plane bound for Phoenix after an altercation with teammate Donte Greene, according to two sources close to the organization.

The incident, which was first reported by FanHouse, immediately followed a loss to Oklahoma City on Saturday night. Cousins, who had overcome early-season struggles of the performance and personality variety recently, is expected to be suspended for at least one game. Kings basketball president Geoff Petrie did not immediately return a call for comment.

According to the sources, Cousins (whose postgame interview can be seen here) was furious at the last play in which Tyreke Evans missed a three-pointer in the final seconds of regulation that would have won the game. Cousins, who had been calling for the ball in the post in the final possession, watched angrily as Greene inbounded the ball to Evans for the final shot.

After the buzzer, he ran the length of the court to catch up to Evans and Greene and was letting his opinions be known as he blew by them to enter the locker room. According to the sources, Greene and Cousins began exchanging words inside the locker room. The situation then escalated, with both players taking swings at each other before they were separated.

Petrie, according to the sources, made the decision to remove Cousins from the plane and will decide on Sunday how to proceed. It was a decision that was not popular with at least one member of the team, as one of the sources said veteran swingman Francisco Garcia argued vehemently for Cousins to remain on the plane before relenting when he was told his fight was futile.

There is certainly a bigger picture to consider for the Kings, though, as their volatile 20-year-old who was taken fifth overall in the June draft clearly has no plans to keep quiet about what ails the team. The situation has become nothing short of a power struggle between the rookie and the reigning Rookie of the Year, with Cousins' improved play of late giving him the gumption to question the way in which Evans is so often given carte blanche control of scenarios such as these.

As first reported by FanHouse, Kings coach Paul Westphal had voiced his frustrations with Evans in a postgame locker room scene on Monday for the way in which he handled Utah's zone defense late in a loss. Yet Westphal and Evans met the following day, according to Evans, at which time the player said Westphal smoothed the matter over and they came to an unofficial agreement regarding the team's late-game approach.

"We're on the same page," Evans told FanHouse on Wednesday. "(Westphal) knows when it's time, when the game is on the line, give me the ball and (I'll) try to make a play."

Evans fell short against Dallas on Wednesday, though, driving into the teeth of the Mavericks' defense before his shot was blocked by Tyson Chandler with 12 second remaining and the Kings trailing by two points. Cousins, as he has now made clear, is of the opinion that he should receive strong consideration for such crucial moments.

Still, his latest blow-up is a significant setback to a season that had an inauspicious start. Cousins was fined $5,000 by the team in October for exchanging words with strength and conditioning coach Daniel Shapiro. The run-in took place just days after he and assistant coach Truck Robinson had a heated disagreement during practice that earned Cousins Petrie's ire.

Then on Nov. 29, Cousins was kicked out of practice by Westphal after exchanging words with the head coach. On Dec. 23, he lost his starting job temporarily after making a choking gesture to Golden State's Reggie Williams while he was at the free throw line late in a Dec. 21 game. Westphal deemed the behavior unprofessional, and said Cousins wouldn't start again until he raised his standards of conduct.

Cousins had been on good behavior since then, however, and his production saw a spike from November to December that had continued right on into January. In the 22 games since Dec. 29, Cousins has averaged 17.3 points (46.1 percent shooting) and nine rebounds.
    The kid seems like a horrible teammate. If i were a kings fan i'd be wary to build a team around him :/
    Last edited by rel; 02-13-2011 at 10:58 AM.

Default Re: Kings Remove Cousins from team plane after altercation

KNUCKLEHEAD!

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Shade For This Useful Post:

I was watching the game, and I'll believe it. He threw a fit on the floor as the buzzer sounded. He jumped around and threw his arms up. So he was mad because Donte passed the ball to the guy who kept them in the game? Tyreke was the only reason they had a chance. He scored like 10 points in a row in the last few minutes.

What a crybaby. This dude is a loser. Supreme talent, but I'm glad we didn't draft him.

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to xBulletproof For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by xBulletproof View Post
    I was watching the game, and I'll believe it. He threw a fit on the floor as the buzzer sounded. He jumped around and threw his arms up. So he was mad because Donte passed the ball to the guy who kept them in the game? Tyreke was the only reason they had a chance. He scored like 10 points in a row in the last few minutes.

What a crybaby. This dude is a loser. Supreme talent, but I'm glad we didn't draft him.
    Yeah I saw that as well. Evans actually got a decent look from 3 to win the game, and then you see Cousins storming down the court upset! The camera went off of him, but I remained curious as to what happened.

Now I know. He's a hothead... always will be

Aren't we glad our pick was 10th and we didn't even bother having to choose Cousins in the top 5 pick?

Winning late to move late in the draft must be for this purpose.

J.R. Rider 2

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Pacerized For This Useful Post:

He's a damn headcase and he's been like that since Kentucky. I'm glad hes not on the pacers.
    And the walls came tumbling down.....

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mr_Smith For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Also, Nenad Kristic at least judging from that pic needs to face reality and shave his head.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to idioteque For This Useful Post:

While I agree with the possible suspension, I still think how they removed him from the plane was inappropriate.

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to LoneGranger33 For This Useful Post:

I'm fine about him being removed from the plane. There is no guarantee Cousins wouldn/t have continued his tantrum on the plane. Maybe starting getting in a fight on the flight hurting someone.

I not sure Westphal has a good grip on handling players.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Justin Tyme For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Tyme View Post
    I'm fine about him being removed from the plane. There is no guarantee Cousins wouldn/t have continued his tantrum on the plane. Maybe starting getting in a fight on the flight hurting someone.
    I agree. Someone going crazy on a plane is not a good idea.
    "Nobody wants to play against Tyler Hansbrough NO BODY!" ~ Frank Vogel

"And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

I'm curious about the "removed from plane" part. This happened right after a home game, and there was plenty of time to take action. Why would he be removed instead of told not to come before he boards the plane - or leaves his house even?
    Don't get me wrong, what Cousins did was very unprofessional, but that would be unprofessional by the management too.

Wording on espn sounds more like he was told not to come, instead of getting on the plane and being "removed". So maybe this story is just inaccurate.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=6118009

BTW, this statement from Evans is as curious as what Cousins said to Greene:

As first reported by FanHouse, Kings coach Paul Westphal had voiced his frustrations with Evans in a postgame locker room scene on Monday for the way in which he handled Utah's zone defense late in a loss. Yet Westphal and Evans met the following day, according to Evans, at which time the player said Westphal smoothed the matter over and they came to an unofficial agreement regarding the team's late-game approach.

"We're on the same page," Evans told FanHouse on Wednesday. "(Westphal) knows when it's time, when the game is on the line, give me the ball and (I'll) try to make a play."
    Very very mentally messed up team. Can we get a hidden camera stream from that locker room?

Also, if you check the espn link, Geoff Petrie wasn't anywhere near the airport. And according to the Fan House article, it was Petrie who made the decision.
    So yeah, the whole "removed from plane" story seems like a fluke. Just a usual "stay at home, wait for suspension" story.

Pretty soon we'll read an article about how much Cousins has changed and how he's maturing so much. Rinse, repeat.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to imawhat For This Useful Post:

a coach who lets a soph run his team at crunch is not doing what he is paid for, horrible!
    So Long And Thanks For All The Fish.

If you've done 6 impossible things today?
    Then why not have Breakfast at Milliways!

24. The Following User Says Thank You to able For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Yeah I don't think Cousins was ever on the plane, didn't hear that on local radio at all today. This is exactly why Cousins will never reach his potential. He's been doing this all season. He starts to get better and then just does something like this.

And Evans should be taking the last shot for them. He is the most talented player they have, Cousins included. I didn't care for the shot, would have liked him to attack the basket.

It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by able View Post
    a coach who lets a soph run his team at crunch is not doing what he is paid for, horrible!

or

or

Lebron ala Westcoast.

Quote Originally Posted by ilive4sports View Post
    Yeah I don't think Cousins was ever on the plane, didn't hear that on local radio at all today. This is exactly why Cousins will never reach his potential. He's been doing this all season. He starts to get better and then just does something like this.

And Evans should be taking the last shot for them. He is the most talented player they have, Cousins included. I didn't care for the shot, would have liked him to attack the basket.
    Agree with your post overall, except this part.
    I'm not sure that Evans is more talented than Cousins, but that's not important. They both have choked so much in the final minutes this year... Evans had one spectacular mid court 3 to win a game, but that's about it. Probably half of their losses end with choked-up isos. When your most talented players consistently fail in final minutes, you really need to draw up some plays.

In this case, yet another Evans iso with a couple dribbles and a long shot. I don't care who takes that last shot, but Kobe-esque stuff doesn't work for them. They need to stop thinking about who takes the last shot and start executing some plays. If that leaves some less talented guy open - great. Their less talented players like Beno Udrih or Casspi are actually much better shooters, esp from 3.

I really don't like Evans or Cousins. I hate both their attitudes and I hate Evans' game. They are both pretty much the epitome of 'spoiled athlete'.

While he is a knucklehead and reacted to this situation with supreme immaturity, i do actually agree with him if the argument stemmed from the last play. Greene had about two or three seconds to inbound it into Cousins before the Thunder took the angle away. He had a great look and while he may not have done much with it, i'm thinking it probably would have been a better option than Evans' terrible attempt.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

The most amusing part about this is Sacramento is so obsessed with both of them that they will continue to let this fester and hope Evans and Cousins will magically mature and work things out.

There could have been gunplay on the team plane. Neither guy will be traded.

31. The Following User Says Thank You to Kstat For This Useful Post: