Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ok, I'm ready to see Paul George start now.

Default Re: Ok, I'm ready to see Paul George start now.

Quote Originally Posted by Alabama-Redneck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Be careful with PG. He is a rookie and we don"t want to burn him out.

He doesn't have the conditioning and body strength to handle too many minutes. We will need him in the playoffs.

This is the problem DC is having now.

Agreed to an extent.

PG is at 544 minutes in 51 games which is still under 20 mpg.

In Danny's rookie year he played 1765 for the entire season.

I am all for giving him starter minutes at this point and see how he handles it.

I think he's confident and skilled enough to start right now. If anything, I think a few struggles to end the season might be good for him. It might make him hungry all year and he will remember the vets who schooled him.

Also, he really needs to start next year and play significant minutes all year....so right now is the time to get his feet wet. Better that he learn this year than next. 25mpg as a starter...

I'm still hesitant about starting George this season. I do think starting Rush and moving Dunleavy to the back-up SF position would be a good idea though.

Quote Originally Posted by Gamble1 View Post
    Agreed to an extent.

PG is at 544 minutes in 51 games which is still under 20 mpg.

In Danny's rookie year he played 1765 for the entire season.

I am all for giving him starter minutes at this point and see how he handles it.
    True but he has only increased his minutes recently. Danny was 3 years older and his body was more mature.

All I am saying is don't push to hard because he is still very young.

I would rather be the hammer than the nail

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Alabama-Redneck For This Useful Post:

Ok, Paul George clearly isn't a finished product. But his on-ball defense was fantastic tonight, and the dude is clearly unconscious in buzzer-beating situations. I'd love to see him get the start next to Danny.

This isn't an anti-Dunleavy thread, it's a pro-George one.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I just honestly think George is better served coming off the bench right now. His well rounded game is a nice contrast to a lot of the one dimensional players we have coming off the bench.

Why have another one dimensional (or at least limited) guy in Dunleavy coming off the bench?

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

Sports Logo

When it comes to Dunleavy, PG and ( to a lesser extent ) Inferno.....I really think that Vogel has a set rotation with a set "equal" amount of minutes for our wing rotation ( with Granger being the only one who always gets 33+ minutes a game ) with Dunleavy starting and PG coming in with the 2nd unit. But the important thing with Vogel is that I think that he's a "go with the hot hand' type of Coach. To me, he sees if Dunleavy, Inferno or PG are doing well on the offensive end and sticks with them or goes away from them as the game progresses. We saw this with Dunleavy in the 1st QTR of the TWolves game and Inferno in the last QTR of that game as well and something similar with PG in this game in the 4th QTR.

For now, I agree with Trader Joe that we should keep things the way they are since we are doing well. In the end....to me, it doesn't matter if PG or Dunleavy starts.....what matters is who is doing better against other Team...while both PG and Dunleavy are averaging 23+ minutes a game a piece.

However, I will like to add that after the ASB...I would really like to see how PG does with extended minutes next to Granger. I really want to know if PG can be that Starting SG and a consistent 2nd scoring option on our Team or not.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

That play that ended the 3rd was sick. So smooth, it's like he flows around the court. To free up with a behind the back dribble into a step back jumper, and the form on the shot. Chill play. For a moment, you saw a possible star.

There's guys who could get a shot off, maybe even hit it, but the list of guys who could create such a good look for themselves with that kind of length and skill? Real short list.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to danman For This Useful Post:

I love him coming off the bench. A hyper-athletic (super raw) Manu Ginobli. I don't care who starts as long as he gets 25 min a game and some crunch-time reps.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to King Tuts Tomb For This Useful Post:

crazy shinaniganz BringJackBack's Avatar

Hmm.. I definitely like the Manu comparison. He makes some flashy passes and impacts the game the same way Manu does.

I'm not huge on worrying about a player's potential.

But my god Paul George has quite a bit of it. I'm excited for what this kid could be. And he's clearly a clutch player. And he's got a good work ethic. And he seems like a good kid.

He's extremely athletic, can get to the rim, and has one of the prettiest jump shots I've ever seen, and great defensive instincts.

I don't know if I agree about Manu..to me, (I'm not saying he'll be as good) he looks like a combo of Kobe and Rudy Gay.

The thing that makes me want to say Manu instead of Kobe/Gay is his playmaking and incredible instincts.

Quote Originally Posted by BringJackBack View Post
    The thing that makes me want to say Manu instead of Kobe/Gay is his playmaking and incredible instincts.
    Kobe's a good play maker, maybe not as much with Rudy.

To me it's just the way they move. Paul is so smoothe like Kobe, Manu's more herky jerky.

I want Paul George to learn Kobe's footwork actually.

Oh..and the kid is 6'9 and quick enough to guard a point guard...

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sookie For This Useful Post:

I have to a agree with you there. In my opinion though, Manu wouldn't look so herky-jerky if he was right handed.

Quote Originally Posted by BringJackBack View Post
    I have to a agree with you there. In my opinion though, Manu wouldn't look so herky-jerky if he was right handed.
    Or if he'd run in a straight line :P

(I'm not bashing Manu here, Manu's my favorite player and the reason why I started watching the NBA. But he's just..almost an eccentric..basketball player)

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Sookie For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I don't care if he starts, I just want to see him finish...

It seems like we've been searching for someone for a long time that could hit big shots at the end of periods under pressure. We thought for the longest time it may be Granger, but it wasn't. Now, it really looks like it is George. I can't see how we can afford to not have him finish games.

I agree George isn't totally similar to Manu in style of game, but he could have a similar effect. Having a high level scorer coming off the bench playing against a second unit is a luxury almost no teams in the league have. We might.

Banned

I'm sorry but the Manu Ginobili to Paul George comparison has to be the worse comparison I have ever seen in my life.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    I'm sorry but the Manu Ginobili to Paul George comparison has to be the worse comparison I have ever seen in my life.
    I agree. They are very different players. Manu is a very crafty player. He doesn't have the athleticism that George does. And thats a huge part of Paul's game. I still say the best comparison is Tracy McGrady.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by CoolHand View Post
    I just want to see him finish...

Quote Originally Posted by ilive4sports View Post
    I agree. They are very different players. Manu is a very crafty player. He doesn't have the athleticism that George does. And thats a huge part of Paul's game. I still say the best comparison is Tracy McGrady.
    I've got to agree with vnzla81 on this one because I've thought the same thing watching him play. Manu is unlike most NBA players in that every possession he's working as hard as he can to make a play. Paul goes after steals (sometimes his gamble doesn't pay off) with aggressiveness like Manu. Paul's also crafty through the lane and relies heavily on the step back J (like Manu). Both are also great passers. Plain and simple they're both playmakers. That's why were all so excited about the kid right? He's made plays in the past couple games we haven't seen from a Pacer player in years.

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    No one compared them stylistically. As I said: "George isn't totally similar to Manu in style of game, but he could have a similar effect." That is, the Pacers could have a game changer coming off the bench. I can only think of a few teams that have that (Mavs with Jason Terry, Crawford in Atlanta, Odom in LA).

Quote Originally Posted by Thoreau87 View Post
    I've got to agree with vnzla81 on this one because I've thought the same thing watching him play. Manu is unlike most NBA players in that every possession he's working as hard as he can to make a play. Paul goes after steals (sometimes his gamble doesn't pay off) with aggressiveness like Manu. Paul's also crafty through the lane and relies heavily on the step back J (like Manu). Both are also great passers. Plain and simple they're both playmakers. That's why were all so excited about the kid right? He's made plays in the past couple games we haven't seen from a Pacer player in years.
    You do realize vnzla81 and I agreed right? When I see Paul play I do not see Manu at all. Paul is smooth through the lane like a Tmac and Kobe where as Manu is more helter skelter as someone already said.

Quote Originally Posted by ilive4sports View Post
    You do realize vnzla81 and I agreed right? When I see Paul play I do not see Manu at all. Paul is smooth through the lane like a Tmac and Kobe where as Manu is more helter skelter as someone already said.
    I did not... but now I do.

I see what your saying with T-Mac and Kobe but I don't get how you can't see the Manu comp. He goes at it on D like he's got something to prove.

Take a look at this video of Manu, found it looking at PG highlights (randomly youtube recommended it). http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WPq2A...eature=related

I only watched the first 2 plays because I saw PG make both of them tonight, correct me if I'm wrong. Hustle block... Slick through the lane lefty finger roll with a defender draped on him. How can you not see the comparison when it comes to the step back (Basically Manu's trademark)? I know you've seen Paul shoot and make that shot multiple times the past 2 games alone.

I saw Granger make that same type of block last night. When Manu and Paul attack the rim they do it differently. Manu gets in there with faking the defender out with some mis-direction stuff, Paul simply goes by with speed and fluidity. Also Paul is usually looking to dunk it like Kobe or Tmac.