Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ok, I'm ready to see Paul George start now.

Default Ok, I'm ready to see Paul George start now.

I'm content with our frontcourt... McBob/Roy is a perfect combo. And I'm obviously good with Granger on the wing. The backcourt, though, still needs work. DC needs to figure out how to move sideways, and Dunleavy is a natural 3 playing out of position. I think (and have thought all year) that he'd be far more effective in the second unit, where his playmaking skills can be fully used. The dude needs the ball to be effective, and in the first unit he's the 4th option.

But I've understood why it hasn't happened yet. I like Brandon a lot and have wanted to see him get the start over Dun all season, but I get why there's been hesitation. Brandon's been McKey-esque (in the infuriating way).

But a new option has emerged, far sooner than I expected. It's Paul George, and it's time for the rook to get the start. Roy/Josh/Granger/George/DC? Yes please. Let Foster/Tyler/Dunleavy/BrandonJones/AJ round out the ten-man rotation.

In summary: START PAUL GEORGE!
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

2. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Anthem For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Ok, I'm ready to see Paul George start now.

I think Paul plays well with Granger too. Quite frankly I think he plays well with everyone. Honestly I would like to see it happen. It would improve the back court defense. I think the second unit would be better with Dunleavy for ball movement reasons.

With that being said I also understand why it hasn't happened. I'm also not sure if Paul is ready for it. At the end of the day we are 6-1 under Coach Vogel so I won't complain too much.

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ilive4sports For This Useful Post:

Mood

ME 2!!! 35 mins a night if he can handle it

6. The Following User Says Thank You to pacer4ever For This Useful Post:

Banned

I don't think he needs to start yet, I'll be ok with Brandon starting at the 2 with Danny at the 3 and bringing off the bench Dunleavy/DJ at the 2 with Paul been Danny's backup.

Twitter: @SuprCityIndyFan PacerGuy's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

IMO Dun is the most likely of our expirings to be moved. TJ has no value, Foster has too much value now, & Solo & the others don'y really register.
    Dun can help a contender by adding instant offense. His 10 mil. expiring has value even for non-contenders. If Dun is moved, you will likely get your wish. George starts, Rush eventually moves to George's role, & Daunly keeps his same role. My hpe is that we can add a b/u C or PF/C type for Dun, as we have Posey & Lance should we need anyone else.
    "Larry Bird: You are Officially On the Clock! (3/24/08)"
    (Watching You Like A Hawk!)

9. The Following User Says Thank You to PacerGuy For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I don't think he needs to start yet, I'll be ok with Brandon starting at the 2 with Danny at the 3 and bringing off the bench Dunleavy/DJ at the 2 with Paul been Danny's backup.
    I'd rather Paul back up Brandon because he will one, get more minutes and two, he needs to play the 2 as much as possible so he will be comfortable there next year.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    no Paul is a SG can play the SF but is a SG. He needs a lot of mintues to learn the NBA game he is still really raw. Starting SG would be ideal

DC,Paul,DannyJmac,Hibbert
    AJ,Rush or Inferno,Dunleavy or Inferno,Tyler,Foster =

Pretty solid 1-10

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pacer4ever For This Useful Post:

Pass That

This would give us the slasher/athlete we need in our starting lineup, plus defense. Dun is just a spot-up shooter. Danny would way more effective as the designated shooter from the start not Dun IMHO.
    Spoiler Spoiler:

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MrPreGame For This Useful Post:

crazy shinaniganz BringJackBack's Avatar

A couple things that I am going to add to your point OP:

1.) Mike, DC, and Danny is not a good perimeter-defensive combo. No way.

2.) Mike is a little too soft to play the 2 for us with starter's minutes. I like Mike, but I'll admit that we need a slasher/defender there right now.

3.) Paul George is already pretty dang good. He makes sweet passes, gets steals, gets rebounds, plays defense, and is active.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to BringJackBack For This Useful Post:

Although I love Paul and his game, I also love watching him coming in the game with his agressiveness in that second unit that seems to translate back to the first unit.
    DG for 3

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by ilive4sports View Post
    I'd rather Paul back up Brandon because he will one, get more minutes and two, he needs to play the 2 as much as possible so he will be comfortable there next year.
    I agree with this here, playing Dun at the 3 in the second unit is not bad and if he starts to suck you move PG to the 3 and DJ to the 2.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by MrPreGame View Post
    This would give us the slasher/athlete we need in our starting lineup, plus defense. Dun is just a spot-up shooter. Danny would way more effective as the designated shooter from the start not Dun IMHO.
    This is a really good point

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by PacerGuy View Post
    IMO Dun is the most likely of our expirings to be moved. TJ has no value, Foster has too much value now, & Solo & the others don'y really register.
    Dun can help a contender by adding instant offense. His 10 mil. expiring has value even for non-contenders. If Dun is moved, you will likely get your wish. George starts, Rush eventually moves to George's role, & Daunly keeps his same role. My hpe is that we can add a b/u C or PF/C type for Dun, as we have Posey & Lance should we need anyone else.
    ive been saying for awhile if anyone gets moved it will be Dun, but i think thats pretty obvious to most pacer fans. the bad thing about trading Dun is we will likely not get equal value in return for what his true talent is.

i really believe Dun has become a very good player. he is not the same Dunleavy from the GSW's. if we did not have Granger i would be okay with Dunleavy as our starting SF, but not okay with him at SG because of his lack of defensive abilities.

If Dun were playing SF for this team or any other with a need at the SF, he would probably average 15pts, 5 boards, and 5 assists, and his defense would not be as bad against opposing SF's.

its too bad we have to play him out of position, otherwise more teams would be willing acquire the guy. i would really like to keep Dun but i dont think he is willing to accept b/u minutes to Granger and the salary we are willing to pay him.

in essense, i like Dun, seems like a really good guy and can help a team in a variety of ways, but he belongs at the SF position and its not a need for this team.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to PacersPride For This Useful Post:

You shouldn't try fixing what's not broken. We need to keep it the same until change is necessary.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Spirit For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by JGray View Post
    You shouldn't try fixing what's not broken. We need to keep it the same until change is necessary.
    I disagree. Why wait until something fails? Why wait until we lose a game we could win if this change takes place?

25. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ilive4sports For This Useful Post:

Mood

Thi is necessary for Paul George to get better he needs as much playing time as possible. Plus it will help the Pacers now and in te future.

I'd like a good look at how Paul handles starting SGs because it really dictates what this team needs to do in its acquisitions. If he is the star he seems to be then this team can push hard for a top PF. We do that, and get a quality, younger back-up center and a cheap scoring wing and we're are in fantastic shape.

Moreover, putting Paul into the starting lineup drastically increases the talent and athleticism of the team instantly. As the offense adapts, it will do so with a player in mind that will be here for years to come rather than one who is on his way out and is a much different player.

Meanwhile, Dunleavy is still there to bail out the rookie, but also helps make the second team's offense a little more dynamic with good passing and moving without the ball.

This is a man's league, but Paul has put in a man's work. And when a man does work, you pay him.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by judicata View Post
    I'd like a good look at how Paul handles starting SGs because it really dictates what this team needs to do in its acquisitions. If he is the star he seems to be then this team can push hard for a top PF. We do that, and get a quality, younger back-up center and a cheap scoring wing and we're are in fantastic shape.

Moreover, putting Paul into the starting lineup drastically increases the talent and athleticism of the team instantly. As the offense adapts, it will do so with a player in mind that will be here for years to come rather than one who is on his way out and is a much different player.

Meanwhile, Dunleavy is still there to bail out the rookie, but also helps make the second team's offense a little more dynamic with good passing and moving without the ball.

This is a man's league, but Paul has put in a man's work. And when a man does work, you pay him.
    Dont judge Paul's future on this year. The kid is gonna probly get 2x better overall and even better than that in certin areas

I agree with the topic of this thread.

I hope Frank is seeing this too.

Mood

No, what ruined our groove previously was because JOB lied in the media and was always lieing about playing time. If Vogel tells everyone there roles we will be fine with change. Just not a play style change. Plus JOB went away from what worked which was feeding the big fella then we went back to chucking 3s.

Paul > then Dunleavy at the starting SG. Dunleavy would benfit from the move also.

After the trade deadline then yes start George. But right now start Dun and hope he increases trade value, because I am fairly certain he may be the only player that can get us decent value.
    JOB is a silly man

Quote Originally Posted by pacer4ever View Post
    no Paul is a SG can play the SF but is a SG. He needs a lot of mintues to learn the NBA game he is still really raw. Starting SG would be ideal

DC,Paul,DannyJmac,Hibbert
    AJ,Rush or Inferno,Dunleavy or Inferno,Tyler,Foster =

Pretty solid 1-10
    This.

I have wanted this line-up since Jim O'Brien was in diapers. Seriously though, this set of players have obviously been the best set to win games since the beginning of the year.

Quote Originally Posted by pacer4ever View Post
    Thi is necessary for Paul George to get better he needs as much playing time as possible. Plus it will help the Pacers now and in te future.
    I predicted that Granger would be a great offensive player back when everyone thought he was all defense. I'm now saying that Paul will be capable of going up in traffic and dunking once he gets an NBA body with more maturity. IOW, he will be coming down with the ball rather than laying it up. You've seen nothing at this point. He is going to be the best Pacer we've ever seen and has the moxy along with it. Total stud.

Be careful with PG. He is a rookie and we don"t want to burn him out.

He doesn't have the conditioning and body strength to handle too many minutes. We will need him in the playoffs.

This is the problem DC is having now.

I would rather be the hammer than the nail

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNGold View Post
    I predicted that Granger would be a great offensive player back when everyone thought he was all defense. I'm now saying that Paul will be capable of going up in traffic and dunking once he gets an NBA body with more maturity. IOW, he will be coming down with the ball rather than laying it up. You've seen nothing at this point. He is going to be the best Pacer we've ever seen and has the moxy along with it. Total stud.