Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Darren Collison midseason grade

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Darren Collison midseason grade

DC was the BIG acquisition for the pacers this offseason. I think he has played extremely well given the circumstances of a new offense/team etcetera.

DC's offense is very good. pleasantly surprised by his 3pt accuracy as well. very quick. dont understand why this quickness does not translate well on the defensive end. DC does need to improve that area of his game, but i like the talent he has as a 2nd year player.

would like to see us consider a bigger pg, or if that will be stephenson role possibly.

DC gets a B+ from me. would like to see him improve on the defensive end, and with turnovers.

Very pleased with his play for a second year player.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Darren Collison midseason grade

B

He's struggled a bit, but part of that is because he was never a good fit in O'Brien's offense. It's become clear that his limitations are always going to be his limitations--he's small and can get pushed around fairly easily. It is what it is. I think he can improve and will improve, and the past few games aside, I've been pleased with him so far.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:

Mood

84% B.

Tonight or after last nights game is not the time to ask me this.

He's played like Dog crap for the past two games.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

Sports Logo Sports Logo

quick question. im gonna be honest, havent seeen jrue holliday play much. i know we passed on him.

why do some say holidays ceiling is higher. they look similar in body size, jrue has 10-20 lbs looks like.

i know i like DC's attitude and work ethic.

I agree with Peck...last two games have not been his best. His shooting has been horrid. I trust him in the open court more than anyone on our team, just like tonight...he has that "euro" dribble down pat. Remember he's only in his second year so for that I'd go with a 81% B-

Didn't expect a win tonight since the boys put it all out there last night.
    Here we come lottery?

Quote Originally Posted by PacersPride View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    quick question. im gonna be honest, havent seeen jrue holliday play much. i know we passed on him.

why do some say holidays ceiling is higher. they look similar in body size, jrue has 10-20 lbs looks like.

i know i like DC's attitude and work ethic.
    Ahh, I was beating the Jrue Holiday drum hard at draft time, so I'll take a stab at answering this.

His ceiling is higher in large part due to his size. He has nice quickness and good size for a point guard, and he is already an above average defender for the position and he has the physical attributes to be a very, very good defender who can even slide over and defend many shooting guards admirably. DC is listed at 6'0 160 lbs, which is incredibly small for NBA standards. Holiday is listed at 6'4 180, so he's got a better build than Darren for sure. It also doesn't hurt that he is 3 years younger than Darren.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Watch Troy wave as an opponent drives by for a layup. Pssstt, we got Collison for just giving him up.

Admit it, I bet your Collison grade just went up a little bit.

"Just look at the flowers ........ BANG"

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hoop For This Useful Post:

Play McRoberts and Price! BRushWithDeath's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Offense: B

Defense: D-

Overall: C
    "I had to take her down like Chris Brown."

-Lance Stephenson

He's above average and at times has been the best player on the team so, B.

Collison's turnovers bother me more than anything.
    “It is what we learn after we know it all that really counts” - John Wooden

He's close to being an average starting PG. I'd give him a B- for the time being. His game reminds me more of TJ Ford than Mark Jackson...and that's not a good thing. I want him to assume the role of floor general and lead. He has to play more consistent to fulfill that role.

BTW, I would take a young Anthony Johnson over any of our PG's.

it amazes me how people forget who some of our players are before they go on a small stretch of bad games

hes definitely NOT a tj ford type of player

hes a very unique pg who has been pretty good as our answer in just his second year

hes going to get better and be a big piece to this teams future success

im giving him a B+
    In 49 states it's just basketball, but this is Indiana!

Play McRoberts and Price! BRushWithDeath's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Scot Pollard View Post
    hes definitely NOT a tj ford type of player
    Give TJ a better jumpshot and that is exactly what he is.
    "I had to take her down like Chris Brown."

-Lance Stephenson

18. The Following User Says Thank You to BRushWithDeath For This Useful Post:

The question I ask myself is how much can DC improve? I would look to upgrade any starting position at this point. I like Hibbert, DG, and Paul George but outside of that I think we can do better.

I would still take Devin Harris over DC at this point. Defensively I thought he would be better. He is very far from being the defensive pg he was at UCLA.

Mood

I gotta give the kid a B+. Remember he is just in his second year and has been through several different systems now. I think as he gets more comfortable with his teammates he will improve.

B-. He might improve, but if you can make an upgrade at the point, I don't think you pass.
    I'd rather die standing up than live on my knees.

-Emiliano Zapata

22. The Following User Says Thank You to D-BONE For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by BRushWithDeath View Post
    Give TJ a better jumpshot and that is exactly what he is.
    That's what I'm thinking.

I like Darren better than most of our previous options at PG, including TJ, but his game is way too close to TJ's IMO. But the fact Darren can shoot from range automatically makes him considerably better than TJ. I guess that's the good news.

The bad news is, he still hasn't shown classic PG skills in terms of being a floor general, great passing, setting up guys to score, etc. Price has him beat there...and Price has him beat on D. I seriously question whether Darren is better than AJ. At the same time, again, I like both of our PG's and consider them both starting quality. They just don't measure up to the Mark Jackson's and Jamaal Tinsley's in overall talent.

Truth be told, I doubt either of our PG's are going to help us contend because they are probably limited to being average starting PG's. I suppose that's not bad...but if you want to contend...you need to keep in mind who you are competing with...and it's not average players.

crazy shinaniganz BringJackBack's Avatar

For God's sake, he's definitely A LOT better than TJ with a jumpshot. And that is an understatement. Darren would be and should be offended by that.

He doesn't milk the clock for 20 seconds per possession, he has three point shooting ability, he is much better on the break, he is ridiculously and insanely better than TJ at the rim and attacking the paint, he is younger and has potential to improve, he is quicker than TJ, he looks natural with the ball in his hands, he plays with much more emotion, he doesn't take insanely bad shots, he shoots a higher percentage, he isn't scared to make a pass into the post, and most importantly he is significantly better with the PnR. For God's sake that comparison is ridiculous. It's a ****ing two game slump.

25. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to BringJackBack For This Useful Post:

nice to see people talking **** about our pg

seriously it amazes me how people freak out like its the end of the season if a player goes on a slump

hes one really good pg and is going to make us a really good team in the future

hes been good so far and under vogel hes been even better

its 100% normal and it happens to every player in some kind of way

he'll get out of it and he can chill out and have time for himself

he was a favorite here

he'll become a favorite again just watch

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Scot Pollard For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Gamble1 View Post
    The question I ask myself is how much can DC improve? I would look to upgrade any starting position at this point. I like Hibbert, DG, and Paul George but outside of that I think we can do better.

I would still take Devin Harris over DC at this point. Defensively I thought he would be better. He is very far from being the defensive pg he was at UCLA.

yeah ok

Quote Originally Posted by BringJackBack View Post
    For God's sake, he's definitely A LOT better than TJ with a jumpshot. And that is an understatement. Darren would be and should be offended by that.

He doesn't milk the clock for 20 seconds per possession, he has three point shooting ability, he is much better on the break, he is ridiculously and insanely better than TJ at the rim and attacking the paint, he is younger and has potential to improve, he is quicker than TJ, he looks natural with the ball in his hands, he plays with much more emotion, he doesn't take insanely bad shots, he shoots a higher percentage, he isn't scared to make a pass into the post, and most importantly he is significantly better with the PnR. For God's sake that comparison is ridiculous. It's a ****ing two game slump.
    Very good points. This kind of reveals just how bad TJ is btw.

In any event, you are correct. Even if Darren doesn't see the floor that well, is not a very good defender and does not pass well or setup players that well...all things I consider very important for a PG....he's still quite a bit better than TJ Ford considering his other basketball skills.

To be honest, when I watch the Pacers play on tv, I can't tell what Point Guard is playing because they all play basically the same. It is obuvious that our Point Guards can not compete with the larger point guards in the NBA. This may sound a little crazy, here is my suggestion, move Brandon Rush to Point Guard when we play the larger Point Guards. What do you think?

Quote Originally Posted by tflo View Post
    To be honest, when I watch the Pacers play on tv, I can't tell what Point Guard is playing because they all play basically the same. It is obuvious that our Point Guards can not compete with the larger point guards in the NBA. This may sound a little crazy, here is my suggestion, move Brandon Rush to Point Guard when we play the larger Point Guards. What do you think?
    there never seemed to be an issue at the point before he went on a slump

his defense isnt as bad as people make it seem

he does his best and will improve it more

not directed towards you tflo but are people not watching games because it sounds to me that people arent aware of what these players are doing

we're getting there and we're in great shape

man theres always a complaint about someone or something and its usually something minor that someone (darren collison is one guy this time) with the small slump

hes a really good pg and i cant believe people are putting him down so much meanwhile he was a big fan favorite here

please relax
    Last edited by Scot Pollard; 02-17-2011 at 10:46 PM.

32. The Following User Says Thank You to Scot Pollard For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by tflo View Post
    it is harder to tell them apart on TV. especially w/o HD.

don't think brandon would make a good PG. he doesn't handle the ball well enough to paly the point.