Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Reggie Miller Hall of Fame debate (or opening a can of worms)

Default Reggie Miller Hall of Fame debate (or opening a can of worms)

Ok, now that it is official that Reggie is no longer the all time leading three point shooter in the NBA I'm going to go ahead and ask.

Is he still a first ballot hall of fame inductee? For that matter does anyone see him not getting in the Hall at all?

For this exercise and believe me I know it is going to be almost impossible to do (you know since this is a Pacers fan webite and all) but try and take off the blue and gold colored glasses and look objectively at his career and make the determination.

I'm not saying he shouldn't or won't by the way so please don't come at me with daggers or guns, I'm just asking the question.

Career 18.2 ppg 3.0 rpg 3.0 apg 5 all-star apperances (in 18 years) 3 all 3rd team NBA honors

Do any of these scream hall of fame to you?

If so please explain why.

If not please explain why.

This should be fun.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

Default Re: Reggie Miller Hall of Fame debate (or opening a can of worms)

The All star and All NBA team stats are really misleading. He played in a era full of great SG's. The era we're in right now is full of wing players and PF's and PG's. He was never going to unseed Jordan from his anual spot on All star teams and 1st teams. He also had to deal with the likes of Clyde Drexler, Mitch Richmond , Mark Price and some years there were 2 PG's named to 2nd team like Kevin Johnson and Tim Hardaway, Gary Payton and John Stocton. Cracking 3rd team is pretty impressive with all these guys. Half of these guys couldnt put together a complete career like Reggie. Reggie also played into the new era of 2 guards like Iverson, Kobe, McGrady, Ray Allen. Another thing to take into consideration is that Indiana back in the late 80's early to mid 90's and even today in some aspects, was/is considered a no mans land. People didnt pay much attention to Reggie and the Pacers until he started creating some of the greatest playoff moments in NBA History. Which leads me to this..

I would argue that Jordan and Bird and quite a few others may have won more championships, but none of them made more big shots then Reggie. I can think of as many Miller playoff moments as i can of Jordan moments. Maybe more. Jordan's reverse hands layup against the Lakers in the 90's Finals and his 3 point explosion against the Blazers were great, but do they really even come close to comparing to 25 point 4th quarter in MSG or 6 points in 8 seconds? Jordan's push off against Byron Russel and game winning shot to win the championship may have meant more because it won the game to win the title, but honestly, Reggie Miller, the Indiana star, pushing Jordan off at the top of the key and draining a fall away 3 pointer to win the game was incredible for so many more reasons. Jordan was Darth Vader. You dont throw Darth Vadar out of the way and drop a shot on him like that. No one did that. Reggie did tho. These moments basically built what many consider the best NBA arena in the league, Conseco Fieldhouse. I honestly think i dont follow basketball if Reggie Miller never did what he did.

I guess my point is this, you ask if those stats scream HoF? If you hand me a sheet of paper with those stats on it, i probably say " good career, but not HoF . ". But if you hand me those stats and give me a complete understanding of the NBA in 1990's and then show me video of Reggie Miller making amazing playoff moment after amazing playoff moment during the 90's and you give me a keen understanding of what this guy did for a city who was a perennial loser from the moment they joined the NBA....

Then there is no doubt whatsoever that this guy is a Hall of Famer.

3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Foul on Smits For This Useful Post:

From a completely statistical standpoint, he's probably not. Culturally and historically he's definitely a hall of famer. He had more of an impact on the game in the 90s than any player other than MJ, Scottie and maybe Shaq.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to King Tuts Tomb For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

You can easily make a compelling argument for and against. He's a 50/50 HoFer.

It really does hurt him that guys like Latrell Sprewell and Penny Hardaway blew right by Reggie with career seasons during the non-Jordan years.

All-NBA selections aren't necessarily a "stat" that you accumulate, like a point or a rebound. It's given to you by the people who see you play. People who take into account the intangibles and the eye test.

Oh, and we really need to slow our roll and please stop comparing Reggie to Jordan in any light whatsoever. Reggie in no way had more big moments than Michael freaking Jordan. Nobody did. There's no need to compare Reggie to Jordan to make a case for him as a hall of famer.

Jordan often went for the haymaker early, negating the need for any 4th quarter heroics. The 35 he dropped on Clyde Drexler in the first half of the 1992 finals basically rendered him shell-shocked for the rest of the series.
    Last edited by Kstat; 02-11-2011 at 07:18 AM.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kstat For This Useful Post:

Mood

I think there is 0% he is a first balot HOF just doesnt have the stats for that. He might not ever get in but proably will because he is one of the clutchest guys of all time.

Yeah I think he will get in eventually. Being #1 or #2 on the all time 3 pointers made list really means nothing to me. Ray Allen making more threes doesn't make Reggie and worse of a shooter.

John Stockton passing Isiah up on the all-time assists list never made me think Stockton was a better point guard. Mark Jackson has more assists than Magic Johnson too, I believe.
    Last edited by Kstat; 02-11-2011 at 07:22 AM.

Play McRoberts and Price! BRushWithDeath's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

He will get in at some point. His numbers say no but his highlights and reputation say yes. And that matters.

But as a different point, I just don't really care. The Basketball Hall of Fame just doesn't really mean anything to me. It doesn't carry near the clout of Canton or Cooperstown. Professional basktball should have its own hall. Until then, I won't care.
    "I had to take her down like Chris Brown."

-Lance Stephenson

11. The Following User Says Thank You to BRushWithDeath For This Useful Post:

Career longevity is an important factor. It wasn't that long ago that Rip Hamilton was a popular Reggie comparison, but like most guards Rip is fading pretty fast after 10 excellent years, as opposed to Reggie who did it for 18.

Over 25,000 points is a pretty big statistic, but the stats arguments have to be tempered by the fact that Reggie's best moments were in the postseason, where he elevated him game in key situations. Still you can marvel at his efficiency stats- points per attempt, points per minute, etc.

He was always "the man" until at the very end when he deferred to Jermaine, but he was still the heartbeat of the team.

There should be no doubt that he is a Hall of Famer. It helps that he was a high profile player and, truth be told, a bit of a self-promoter due to the on-court trash-talking. The fact that he wasn't boring shouldn't have an impact but we all know it does. Sometimes all-time great players who are less outspoken get outrageously overlooked. Artis Gilmore anyone?

A-train: 22.3 ppg 17.1 rpg ABA, 17.1 /10.1 NBA including some hang-on years, ranking in the top ten in rebounds, blocked shots, games, and minutes played, almost 25K points, and first overall in field goal percentage, yet Gilmore has yet to be elected to the Basketball Hall of Fame.

Reggie may be less deserving than Artis, but he 100% deserves to be in there too.
    Last edited by Slick Pinkham; 02-11-2011 at 08:11 AM.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

the few all-star selections mean absolutely nothing. the all-star game was/is purely a popularity contest. Bj Armstrong, Michael Adams, and Rickey Pierce all took a spot away from Reggie in various seasons. In 93-94, the year Reggie first blew up in the playoffs, he was left off the AS team. The following season, after Miller made a name for himself, he was selected to play. Was he better in 95 than 94? Of course not, just more popular.

Agreed on that. All-star selections are pretty irrelevant. All-NBA selections are generally the measuring stick.

He'll probably get in someday.

What he did on the court won't be forgotten.

Everyone was saying yesterday that Reggie is still a HOFer no question when Ray Allen passed him.

Honestly it will have nothing to do with stats and everything to do with New York. Reggie shined on the biggest stage in New Yawk and that is where his legend status began. The New York connection will actually push him through IMHO.
    You know how hippos are made out to be sweet and silly, like big cows, but are actually extremely dangerous and can kill you with stunning brutality? The Pacers are the NBA's hippos....Matt Moore CBS Sports....

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RWB For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by RWB View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Honestly it will have nothing to do with stats and everything to do with New York. Reggie shined on the biggest stage in New Yawk and that is where his legend status began. The New York connection will actually push him through IMHO.

For me, this is it, but not just NY. He did it against Chicago in big playoff games. Bunches in the regular season with game winners.

Its Reggie's clutchness.

He was top 2 of his era in who you'd want to take a last second shot, imo. Thats HOF worthy.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Speed For This Useful Post:

I think he will eventually because he was one of the most memorable players from the era, even if he wasn't one of the "best". That will be enough to push him in someday, I think.

I honestly don't care if he ever does. He'll always mean something to me as a Pacer fan and that is all that matters.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    Agreed on that. All-star selections are pretty irrelevant. All-NBA selections are generally the measuring stick.

All NBA teams (or lack thereof) are definitely Reggie's weakness.

Reggie has made three All NBA Third teams. That's the same number Pierce has made, only he has one second team in there too. Is Pierce a HOFer? Probably so. He was Finals MVP on a Celtics championship team and that just might be enough to push him over the top.

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

I think the tip-over in the argument is that it is "Hall of FAME" not "Hall of Excellence".

While there can be a very valid argument made about Reggie's complete package as an NBA player (heck, during his tenure there were constant ongoing discussions of whether he was really a "star", much less a "superstar"), there can be very little argument about his notoriety and impact on perception of the game in major arenas.

Being in front of people on TNT and having the 30-30 film don't hurt either.

I think he'll get in.Had his 3-pt record stood through this season, it would have been first ballot. Given Allen passing the record this year, that might change, but it will happen.
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

Who cares. Any purported Hall of Fame that doesn't have Slick in it is already worthless.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

26. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Kegboy For This Useful Post:

Custom User Titleist
    Mood

The Knick Killer. The player who generated crowd chants at home of "Reggie! Reggie! Reggie!", and away of "Reggie sucks! Reggie sucks! Reggie sucks!". The player who was the undisputed leader of the Pacers during their rise to both relevancy and championship contender status. The player who, despite deferring to teammates throughout his career in an attempt to keep as many players as possible involved in the game, still had the record for three point shooting until yesterday. The player who got under the skin of many players with not only Jedi mind tricks and trash talk, but then shooting lights out when the lights were brightest at the ends of many games. The player so respected by officials that he got superstar calls with nearly the same frequency as the greatest of all time, MJ, at times even while playing against MJ himself.

If the Hall of Fame is not in his future, the Hall of Fame is just as slanted toward big market teams as the entire league has been in my opinion. If the Hall of Fame is not in his future, the voters simply must not have watched him play the game very much in my view. If the Hall of Fame is not in his future, about half of the current membership of the Hall of Fame should be removed without a second thought because many of them never achieved the same notoriety that Reggie did during what may have been the pinnacle of the NBA in its history as a professional sports league.

I will be shocked if Reggie doesn't make it in when he first appears on the ballot, because I feel that Reggie represented the league and its overall personality, both good and a little bit of the bad at times, about as well as anyone of his era ever did. That is why he was such a lightning rod during the playoffs, making his clutch performances stand out that much more than they otherwise would have.

Am I a homer? Unquestionably, and very proudly so in this particular case. The Simons may not have erected a bronze statue of Reggie outside the Fieldhouse, but they did give him a very sweet Bentley, and the crowd stood and screamed his name and many cried like babies both at the end of his last game and during his retirement ceremony when his number was lifted to the rafters of the Fieldhouse.

If Reggie doesn't make the Hall of Fame, then no Pacer player or coach who has ever had any notoriety at any time in the past whether it be ABA or NBA probably ever should, Slick included (and I firmly believe that Slick deserves to be there).

Has anyone seen the nominations for this year? Reggie WILL get in THIS year. That is a guarantee. 14 all time at 25,000 + points...who is saying his numbers say no, that is just crazy. anyone else in the top 15 who is eligible is in, Reggie, is definately in...the one we should be debating is Mark Jackson...is someone like Jack worthy? Or even Chris Mullin, lets talk about those two former Pacers.

Quote Originally Posted by BillS View Post
    I think the tip-over in the argument is that it is "Hall of FAME" not "Hall of Excellence".

While there can be a very valid argument made about Reggie's complete package as an NBA player (heck, during his tenure there were constant ongoing discussions of whether he was really a "star", much less a "superstar"), there can be very little argument about his notoriety and impact on perception of the game in major arenas.

Being in front of people on TNT and having the 30-30 film don't hurt either.

I think he'll get in.Had his 3-pt record stood through this season, it would have been first ballot. Given Allen passing the record this year, that might change, but it will happen.

All true, and that's why I think he ultimately gets in. He is one of the more famous and remembered players of the 1990's, no question about it.

30. The Following User Says Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Basketball writers vote in players to the Hall of Fame, right? Reggie will make it in on the first ballot because of that fact.

Sometimes it's not just about the numbers. It's equally about the big moments.

Does Reggie have iconic moments? Check! Scored 25 points during the 4th quarter in MSG. The "Choke Artist" quote/8 points in 8.9 seconds game the following season. Scored 41 points in game 5 on the first round to carry his team to victory in 2000. He had a great performance during the 2000 Finals in games 3-6. His final game performance against the Piston's won an ESPY. He even had his own 30 for 30 ESPN documentary for Pete's sake!

The Basketball Hall of Fame voters can also take into account a player's collegiate and Olympic accolades. If that's the case Reggie has 2 Gold Medals and 1 Bronze and was Co-Captain and the leading scorer on Dream Team II when they won the Gold Medal in the 1994 World Basketball Championship. He was named USA Basketball's Male Athlete of the year in 2002.

Peck mentioned a very few of Reggie's career highlights he forgot to mention that he averaged 20.6 points per game during 144 Playoff games and 24.5 PPG during the 2000 Finals. He scored 25,279 points in his career (14th). He led the NBA in Free Throw percentage 5 times, including his last season, and in total Free Throws made twice.

He's ranked 6th in the NBA All-Time in True Shooting Percentage at .614, which is amazing for a guy who made a great deal of his shots from the perimeter. He's also ranked 2nd All-Time in Offensive Rating, which is higher than players like Magic Johnson (4), John Stockton (5), Steve Nash (10), Michael Jordan (15) and Dirk Nowitzki (20).

He made over 100 3-pt FGs in 15 consecutive seasons, an NBA record.

Some other notable stats and accolades:

1984-85 Led UCLA to the National Invitation Tournament (NIT) championship; named tournament MVP
    1985-86 Averaged 25.9 points per game, fourth among college players nationwide
    1986-87 Ended college career with 2,095 points while leading UCLA to the Pac-10 conference title. He finished second in all-time scoring at UCLA behind only Kareem Abdul-Jabbar. As of 2009, he still holds the UCLA single-season records for most league points, highest league scoring average, and most free throws. He also holds several individual game records.
    1987-88 Dropped in 61 three-pointers, an NBA rookie season record; named to NBA All-Rookie second team
    1990 Named to NBA All-Star team
    1990-91 Led NBA in free throws made (551)
    1992-93 Scored 57 points in one game; led NBA with 167 three-pointers
    1993-94 Scored his 10,000th career point to become the Pacers' leading scorer of all time
    1993-94 Named co-captain of the United States' Dream Team II; won gold medal with the U.S. team at the 1994 World Basketball Championships
    1994 Set NBA playoff record for most three-pointers in one quarter (5)(has been broken)
    1995 Named to the NBA All-Star team
    1996 Starred on U.S. Olympic basketball team during Olympics in Atlanta; earned a gold medal
    1996-97 Led NBA in three-pointers made (229)
    1998 Inducted into the UCLA Hall of Fame and named to NBA All-Star team and received NBA MVP votes
    1998-99 Led NBA in free-throw percentage (.915) and free throws made (226)
    2000 Named to NBA All-Star team and received NBA MVP votes
    2000-01 Led NBA in free throws made (323)
    2001-02 Led NBA in free-throw percentage (.911) and free throws made (296)
    2002 Won NBA Community Assist Award for charity fund-raising
    2002 Named USA Basketball Male Athlete of the Year

http://sports.jrank.org/pages/3239/M...#ixzz1Df1vieSh
    Last edited by naptownmenace; 02-11-2011 at 10:43 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81
    Larry is not coming back, he didn't have a meeting with Orlando for not reason, yeah he is coming back to the NBA but not to the Pacers, the notion that he is a taking a year off and then come back is absurd.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    GOOD GOD THAT'S LARRY BIRD'S MUSIC!

32. The Following User Says Thank You to naptownmenace For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by King Tuts Tomb View Post
    From a completely statistical standpoint, he's probably not. Culturally and historically he's definitely a hall of famer. He had more of an impact on the game in the 90s than any player other than MJ, Scottie and maybe Shaq.
    it all depends on the statistics you use. if you use any sort of offensive efficiency statistics, ts%, pps, offensive rating, win share %, career points, etc he's most definitely a hall of famer. i get tired of arguing why reggie should be a hall of famer so this will be brief. reggie was not a selfish scorer and scored within the offense. reggie never took more than 15.7fga in a season. had he averaged say just 16-17 fga a year for his career, reggie would have consistently averaged 25ppg. point is, when his team needed him to score, hardly anybody in nba history did it better.

34. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to croz24 For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by pacerfan317 View Post
    Has anyone seen the nominations for this year? Reggie WILL get in THIS year. That is a guarantee. 14 all time at 25,000 + points...who is saying his numbers say no, that is just crazy. anyone else in the top 15 who is eligible is in, Reggie, is definately in...the one we should be debating is Mark Jackson...is someone like Jack worthy? Or even Chris Mullin, lets talk about those two former Pacers.

Do they announce the HOF class of 2011 during the All Star Game or is it announced during the Playoffs? I can't remember when it was announced last year but this year's crop of eligible players isn't overwhelming and Reggie will stand out as a shining star.

This writer, while referencing an articale at NBA.com called Reggie's chance of being voted in this year "a layup".
    http://basketball.about.com/od/baske...e-Nominees.htm
    http://www.nba.com/2010/news/11/30/h...s=iref:nbahpt2
    Last edited by naptownmenace; 02-11-2011 at 10:39 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81
    Larry is not coming back, he didn't have a meeting with Orlando for not reason, yeah he is coming back to the NBA but not to the Pacers, the notion that he is a taking a year off and then come back is absurd.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    GOOD GOD THAT'S LARRY BIRD'S MUSIC!

I think Reggie should be in.

But I must admit I don't really care about the Hall of Fame. Never have. I used to think I just didn't care because I was younger, but now that I'm older, I still don't care.