Thread: Trade deadline names to watch/David Aldridge

Banned

Default Trade deadline names to watch/David Aldridge

http://www.nba.com/2011/news/feature...s=iref:nbahpt1

Trade deadline names to watch

Two-plus weeks until the trade deadline, and the Carmelo Circus aside, along with those guys who everyone knows are on the block -- like the Nets' Troy Murphy and the Knicks' Anthony Randolph and Eddy Curry -- here are the guys that, according to front office sources around the league, are eminently gettable before Feb. 24:

Golden State center Andris Biedrins, Memphis guard O.J. Mayo, Lakers forward Ron Artest, Portland centers Marcus Camby and Joel Przybilla, Philadelphia forward Andre Iguodala, Phoenix forward Josh Childress, Washington forward Rashard Lewis, Detroit guard Rip Hamilton, Cleveland forward Antawn Jamison, Minnesota guard Jonny Flynn, Charlotte forwards Stephen Jackson and Boris Diaw and Houston forward Jared Jeffries.

There was less consenus on whether three former All-Stars -- Pacers forward Danny Granger, Memphis forward Zach Randolph and Clippers center Chris Kaman -- were really available, despite their names being out there in Rumorville the past few weeks.

Many of those names are unlikely to be dealt because of their prohibitively expensive contracts, which is why they're on the block in the first place. Count among these Iguodala (three years and $44.1 million remaining after this season), Lewis (two years and $43 million remaining after this season, though only $10 million of the 22 million due to Lewis in 2012-13 is guaranteed), Childress (who just signed a full mid-level exception for $34 million), Biedrins (three years and $27 million left after this season), Jamison (one year and $15 million left after this season) and Artest (three years and $21.775 million left after this season).

With the lockout looming, it's unlikely in the extreme that any team would take on any of these deals.

There could be takers for Flynn, who has never really taken over the starting point guard job in Minnesota and who likely won't next season when and if Ricky Rubio comes over from Spain (though Rubio is not having a great season this year playing for FC Barcelona, one of the ACB and Euroleague's top teams).

Mayo has been involved in trade rumors for weeks, and at 23 and still on his rookie contract, he'll likely be moving on (the fight with teammate Tony Allen on the team plane last month was not the only time Mayo has gotten into verbal altercations with teammates, I'm told).

Jackson was on the block before Larry Brown was "retired" by Charlotte, and even though interim coach Paul Silas has rarely met a tough guy he didn't like, S-Jax's inability to stay clear of the refs may be wearing out his welcome...

Bird, Pacers play waiting game

Now that Jim O'Brien is gone in Indiana, what about the future of team president Larry Bird, who's also in the final year of his deal -- along with any number of front-office personnel? Bird told SI.com last week that he has purposely not asked owner Herb Simon about a new contract because he wanted to give the owner maximum flexibility to decide whether he wanted to clean house after this season. The Pacers will have less than $35 million committed next season in player salaries, giving them incredible flexibility if Simon wants to open up his checkbook.

But will the 55-year-old Bird stick around if asked?

One close friend of Bird's thinks he'll be back next season, and shares my view that Simon wouldn't dare cashier one of Indiana's favorite sons, mediocre record the last few years or no. It's still Indiana, and he's still Larry Bird. "You look at it honestly, (Bird) helped get Conseco [Fieldhouse] built," the friend said, referring to the Pacers' still-state-of-the-art arena. But the friend disagrees with my view that Bird might return to the bench if asked by Simon.
    Last edited by vnzla81; 02-07-2011 at 11:43 PM.

Default Re: Trade deadline names to watch/David Aldridge

Wonder what the price would be for Iggy. Dun/Rush sure would be nice.

Edit: Holy cow, he's had 24 assists in the past two games. How perfect would he be next to Danny in smashmouth ball?
    Last edited by Anthem; 02-08-2011 at 12:10 AM.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Anthem For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

Edit: Holy cow, he's had 24 assists in the past two games. How perfect would he be in smashmouth ball?
    I think we would have to give up more than that to get Iggy in return..though it would be nice
    "So, which one of you guys is going to come in second?" - Larry Bird before the 3 point contest. He won.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I would just do Danny for Iggy straight up instead. It makes more sense for both teams.

I have always loved Iggy's well rounded game. He is a tremendous passer for a SG. And his perimeter defense is very under rated. He is simply one of the best. And without him the Sixers take a tremendous blow. They need an impact player in return and they won't give their best player to a team they are fighting for a playoff spot with unless they get adequate value.

At the end of the day I value Igoudala and his defense over Danny's shooting ability. With Iggy, Rush, George and Dunleavy we still have good perimeter shooting. But with Igoudala the defensive potential of Iggy/George/Rush is scary. And Igoudala is a great finisher in transition and would mesh very well with Collison.

People better look down in Miami because if you plan on competing for a title anytime in the next 10 years, you are probably going to have to beat them to do it. And you better have some great defenders if you even want a chance. Danny's defense has always been very over rated, IMHO.

I think the Pacers have found a future star in Paul George. But I personally don't like the idea of him chasing quick guards around all night, every night. He looks to me like he would be just as much of a match up nightmare at SF and he can maximize his versatility there just as well. His quickness is superb at guard, but it is extra ordinary at SF. He'll get in the paint at will.

Rush dun 1st rounder would be amazing, young prospect expiring contract and pick.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by CircleCity3318 View Post
    Rush dun 1st rounder would be amazing, young prospect expiring contract and pick.
    How do you think their fanbase would feel if they traded their best player to someone they are competing for a playoff spot with a package of a fringe starter plus draft picks and expirings?

Don't you think they would be handing us their playoff spot in the trade as well?

I know it's not gonna happen just a little wishful thinking on my part.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post

Edit: Holy cow, he's had 24 assists in the past two games. How perfect would he be next to Danny in smashmouth ball?
    I would LOVE to get Iggy....but given the way that they have been playing....I seriously doubt that they would consider making a move like getting rid of Iggy that would change the way they play.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

I don't see Iggy going anywhere. Seeing as that's the team we're competing in the playoff hunt, and a trade this late in the season could affect chemistry and play for the both teams. Granger should be here to stay. At least I hope.

what about this Melo for A Bynum rumor?

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by dal9 View Post
    what about this Melo for A Bynum rumor?
    Lakers are saying no from what I've read

Lakers Shoot Down Bynum For Anthony Trade Report
    Feb 08, 2011 13:20 PM EST

A report from ESPN on Tuesday indicated that the Lakers and Nuggets were holding preliminary discussions about a trade involving Carmelo Anthony and Andrew Bynum.

"What's out there is inaccurate," said a Lakers representative familiar with the negotiations.

Denver is also in discussions with the Knicks, the team Anthony is reportedly set on playing for by the 11-12 season.

Via Los Angeles Times
    http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap...y_Trade_Report

Quote Originally Posted by pacer4ever View Post
    Kobe is saying no from what I've read

http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap...y_Trade_Report
    Fixed

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Gamble1 View Post
    Fixed
    actually Kobe and Melo are best friends and would like to play with Melo. I understand why LA would turn that down big men are needed more than scorers in the playoffs

Quote Originally Posted by pacer4ever View Post
    actually Kobe and Melo are best friends and would like to play with Melo. I understand why LA would turn that down big men are needed more than scorers in the playoffs
    Haven't they won the last two titles with minimal input from Bynum?

I'd rather have another healthy assassin than someone who is as frail as Bynum, playoffs or no playoffs.

16. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post

I'd rather have another healthy assassin than someone who is as frail as Bynum, playoffs or no playoffs.

Gotta agree with that.

Especially considering that they might be able to get a role playing banger for Artest to replace Bynum.

With Danny and Paul I don't think we need Iggy.

And if I was the Lakers I would grab Melo and run. Bynum is hurt all the time.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Will Galen For This Useful Post:

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post

I didnt say I agree with there decsions but I can understand why they dont want to trade a big man.

Banned

I'd probably take Iggy over any realistic target from the 2011 free agent class. Unfortunately, as has been mentioned, with Philly being on a role and now looking like a firm playoff team, it's unlikely they'd be willing to move him, especially not to an Eastern Conference competitor.

Luis Scola would be an excellent pickup, but I doubt there's a reasonable deal that can be reached. My guess is Houston would demand Danny or Roy, and I doubt we'd be willing to give up either.

Aaron Brooks is a less talented, more shot-happy version of T.J. Ford. I'd have no interest in him.

With Artest's history here I'd say the probability is close to zero that we'd ever consider bringing him in again, even if he could be had for next to nothing. Ditto for Stephen Jackson.

Camby is a monster on the boards and would be an excellent compliment to Roy, but at 36 I don't think he's worth wasting $11M of our capspace on.

Shard, Rip and 'Tawn are all washed up. No interest.

Mayo's moderately intriguing, but I've heard Memphis is asking a lot for him. If he could be had for something reasonable (Rush + protected 1st) I'd definitely consider it, but I wouldn't go out of my way to trade for him.

Andris Biedrins is decent and is somehow still just 24 despite being in his 7th season, but I think I'd pass. He looked like a future stud early in his career but it just never materialized. I don't think he'd be worth $31.5M over the next 3.5 seasons.

Joel Przybilla's had a ton of injuries and is on the bad side of 30 (31). I would've loved him as a 25 minute per game backup big four years ago, but not today.

There's no need for Flynn with the more talented Collison on board.

Chris Kaman is a pretty talented big man when healthy, but he's strictly a center, and I'd prefer we just stick with Big Roy.

Josh Childress, Boris Diaw or Jared Jeffries? God, no.

One close friend of Bird's thinks he'll be back next season, and shares my view that Simon wouldn't dare cashier one of Indiana's favorite sons, mediocre record the last few years or no. It's still Indiana, and he's still Larry Bird. "You look at it honestly, (Bird) helped get Conseco [Fieldhouse] built," the friend said, referring to the Pacers' still-state-of-the-art arena. But the friend disagrees with my view that Bird might return to the bench if asked by Simon.
    Yes, in the aspect that that isn't honest at all.

Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!