Thread: minimum team salary

Default minimum team salary

There has been a lot of talk about just letting our contracts expire and just going into next season with what we have, but we will have to sign some guys for next year to fill our roster and to meet the minimum salary cap.

The minimum salary cap is 75% of the salary cap, if things stay about the same after renegotiations. Then we would have to spend at least around 8.5 mil if the salary cap stays the same as last year at 57.7 mil. We only have about 34.9 mil in contracts for next year.

Maybe we resign Dunleavy for a lot less like 5 mil. per year for 3 years or maybe we go after other players and let Dunleavy walk. I would like us to go after Carl Landry, Marcus Thorton, and if we want to go big and sign some one to a 10+ mil. contract I would go after Jeff Green.

Landry would bring a lot of scoring to the PF postion, but not a lot of rebounding. Thorton would bring a big spark to the SG postion and he played well next to Collison last year. Jeff Green can play PF and SF. He is still young and would be a great compliment to our youth.

We could always try to go after Nene, or West both of which would be great here, but I think West will stay in New Orleans to play wtih CP3. Nene is going to cost a lot and we would have to sign him to long term contract and he would be 34 by then end of it making around 12 mil. or more. At that age it might not be something the front office would want to get into.

Here are the links to the NBA salary cap and hoopsworld pacers team salary.

http://insidehoops.com/nba-salary-cap.shtml

http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?story_id=9198
    Last edited by pacers74; 02-07-2011 at 11:31 AM.

Default Re: minimum team salary

Or not.
    The only downside of being below salary minimum is that you have to pay the difference to the league. It in turn divides that amount to all the players from all teams. So you aren't losing anything, just what you would spend anyway.
    Besides, you are supposed to meet the minimum in the span of the season, not at the start of it. So, you can start with 15 minimum salary guys if you want to, and fill up the cap space at trade deadline.
    There's no negative outcomes whatsoever for being under the minimum. Nothing forces you to spend on trash.
    You can just fill the roster with minimums from NBDL.

All that said, this will be governed by the new CBA, and we have no clue what it will say.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ballism For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by ballism View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Or not.
    The only downside of being below salary minimum is that you have to pay the difference to the league. It in turn divides that amount to all the players from all teams. So you aren't losing anything, just what you would spend anyway.
    Besides, you are supposed to meet the minimum in the span of the season, not at the start of it. So, you can start with 15 minimum salary guys if you want to, and fill up the cap space at trade deadline.
    There's no negative outcomes whatsoever for being under the minimum. Nothing forces you to spend on trash.
    You can just fill the roster with minimums from NBDL.

All that said, this will be governed by the new CBA, and we have no clue what it will say.

Yea, but we would still need to sign some players. I would rather sign the 8.5 mil or whatever it turns out after the new CBA then just pay it back to the league.

Quote Originally Posted by pacers74 View Post
    Yea, but we would still need to sign some players. I would rather sign the 8.5 mil or whatever it turns out after the new CBA then just pay it back to the league.
    If we can't get anyone, I'd prefer to keep the cap till trade deadline. The last thing I want is a bunch of roster fillers on 2-3 year deals, just because we had the space.

Anyway, I hope we sign David West or something similar and don't have this problem at all.

Btw, we aren't talking 8.5 mil here. Even if the cap size and rules remain as high as this year, it's around 5 mil under minimum after signing 2011 rookies. And 3 roster spots. Realistically, we'll probably get over salary minimum by resigning McRoberts and getting a couple of minimum guys.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by ballism View Post
    If we can't get anyone, I'd prefer to keep the cap till trade deadline. The last thing I want is a bunch of roster fillers on 2-3 year deals, just because we had the space.

Anyway, I hope we sign David West or something similar and don't have this problem at all.

Btw, we aren't talking 8.5 mil here. Even if the cap size and rules remain as high as this year, it's around 5 mil under minimum after signing 2011 rookies. And 3 roster spots. Realistically, we'll probably get over salary minimum by resigning McRoberts and getting a couple of minimum guys.
    specially resiging Dunleavy to 3 yrs 15 millon I would perfer cap room to thoes types of deals.

There's no reason to worry about this. Plenty of teams will be willing to give us picks in return for taking players off their hands.

There's a reason no team has yet had to refund money to the league.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

I want afflao Thornton and west! That's it maybe Thompson too. Get it done! Lol you kno if this goes down that we would have like a mini hornets team. Lol they will probably get their own section of the looking room called Who Dat Nation lol

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    There's no reason to worry about this. Plenty of teams will be willing to give us picks in return for taking players off their hands.

There's a reason no team has yet had to refund money to the league.
    +1
    Unless Grizzlies start selling their cap for cash again like they did a few years ago. Was it 2008 or 2009 when their owner pocketed ~8 mil by taking on players from luxury tax teams. No picks received, just cash and players with deferred salary clauses. When there's a sellout owner like that, it's harder to get any picks/assets for cap for everyone else.

If the deadline rule indeed applies you can just wait until the last second and take a veteran solid role player with huge expiring contract playing on a team who really don't need him wether due to rebuilding or going young... Antwan Jamison for instance. The experiment can't hurt anyway and you can also have the chance as stated to snatch something more.

Even if it's not the summer 2010 bonanza the 2011 FA agent class is not too shabby. There are a few good players we can go after and still be able to facilitate deals later.

Don't forget... We'll have two rookies to sign.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by FlavaDave View Post
    Don't forget... We'll have two rookies to sign.
    Or not. I don't know if a mid-second round pick out of this draft will be good enough for the NBDL, let alone our roster. If the Pacers make the playoffs, our pick will be around the 15th or 16th selection. Under those circumstances, the Pacers are probably just as likely to trade it as they are to keep it.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to beast23 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by beast23 View Post
    Or not. I don't know if a mid-second round pick out of this draft will be good enough for the NBDL, let alone our roster. If the Pacers make the playoffs, our pick will be around the 15th or 16th selection. Under those circumstances, the Pacers are probably just as likely to trade it as they are to keep it.
    Both these points are true... But if we have empty spots on the roster and we are under the cap, keeping the player we draft in round two is a great way to do it. And, if we trade the #1 pick, we will be getting a player in return so the point still stands. (unless we swap for a future #1, which seems unlikely given our current position as a franchise).