Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Start Dahntay Jones or trade him.

Default Start Dahntay Jones or trade him.

D. Jones is a proven winner and would fit in well with our starting five. His hustle, drive, and determination seems to rub off on everyone when he is on the floor. I know we've been talking about D. Jones in other threads, but I haven't seen many people mention him as a candidate for the starting five.

It's a interesting situation with B.Rush, Dunleavy, George, and D.Jones who are all very close from a production stand point (right now, George clearly has potential to be much better than any of those guys).

We all say how well he played when he first joined this team, I don't think he ever lost that ability. Wether he starts or not, he needs to be getting 20 minutes a game as long as he can produce like he has the past two games. The nets announcers were all over this guy...and for good reason. I think he is a leader on the court and really rubs off on the younger guys. I also think he is similar to Hansbrough, a guy who can have a good impact on a game while not necessarily having a good line statistically.

Lets hope Vogel makes B.Rush earn every minute he gets when he is ready to go. Right now I'd honestly prefer to see D.Jones/George getting a lot of the SG minutes....allow Dunleavy to back-up Granger for 10-15 min a night.

If D.Jones is going to just rot on the bench when Rush comes back, my vote is too trade him. Maybe a team like the Lakers/Heat would trade us a pick for him? Heck even a couple 2nd rounders might be worth it, you never know whose gonna drop.
    *removed* Just keep politics and religion completely out of it, please.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Start Dahntay Jones or trade him.

They have been trying to trade Jones for awhile there were no takers.

Droppin' knowledge, yo. Mackey_Rose's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

No one wants him because of his contract, so trading him will be tough.

Start him?

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Mackey_Rose For This Useful Post:

crazy shinaniganz BringJackBack's Avatar

Let's do what's been working.

6. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to BringJackBack For This Useful Post:

Dahntay is the type of player you bring in when you need him. He's tough and can solve certain matchup problems for the Pacers.

For example, he could have slowed down Monte Ellis...but Jim refused to play Dahntay.

So, Dahntay is like an Allen wrench. He's not useful for much, but in certain circumstances his skill set is essential. I suspect Vogel is smart enough to recognize that.

8. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to BlueNGold For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Jones can play, he has some problems on offense because he doesn't know when to shoot and when to pass. When he's hot, it works, most of the time he simply becomes a black hole. I like him off the bench where he can play limited minutes if it's not working. Start Dunleavy, back him up with Dahntay and sit (trade) Rush.

Everyone's excited about Dahntay..but as I said, I went to this game..and he concerned me more than anything.

About 6 times, he got the ball at one end of the court (either by rebound or because one of our idiot post players passed it to him when they got the rebound ...seriously guys after the third time you know what he's going to do with it) and he never gave it up. DC and Price looked like they got annoyed (DC especially, and he only played about 5 minutes with him) at times.

He was making his shots which is good. But when he doesn't make those shots it's going to be a problem. He wasn't taking good shots, and wasn't taking shots in the flow of the offense. The ball stopped with him.

As someone else said..you bring in Dahntay when you need him. If you need an upgrade in intensity, add some defense, or maybe some scoring when the offense is dead. But quite frankly, I'm interested in seeing how Rush does. This game had good results with Dahntay's numbers..but it was bad offense.

And trust me, I'm a Dahntay fan. I think he's great for the younger guys, I think he's a great team guy...but the guy just can't play more than 15 minutes without disrupting the team offense, I don't think.
    Last edited by Sookie; 02-06-2011 at 06:13 PM.

11. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Sookie For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Start him? No

Keep playing him? Yes
    Stop quoting people I have on ignore!

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNGold View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Dahntay is the type of player you bring in when you need him. He's tough and can solve certain matchup problems for the Pacers.

For example, he could have slowed down Monte Ellis...but Jim refused to play Dahntay.

So, Dahntay is like an Allen wrench. He's not useful for much, but in certain circumstances his skill set is essential. I suspect Vogel is smart enough to recognize that.
    Agreed. The reason he was so useful in Denver (and led to us signing him) was that Karl unleashed him on certain guys and played to his strengths. He had no fear going after Kobe or anyone else.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to King Tuts Tomb For This Useful Post:

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but the best team for Denver (past 5 years) was when they had D. Jones in the starting line-up (i know he wasn't really playing starters minutes.)

My thing is...Dunleavy is a proven loser (this coming from someone who likes Dun) and D. Jones is a proven winner (Denvers team with him starting was better than any Pacer team since 2000). So why not start the guy? Like I said, he probably won't get starters minutes...similar to the Denver situation...I just think he is a winner.

Also, I agree with everyone saying lets stick with whats working...but lets see if this Vogel ball works against a good basketball team. I would not expect Vogel to put Dahntay in the starting lineup anytime soon, but lets say the team begins to struggle against good ball clubs...I say it's worth a shot.

Question.....what benefit does Dunleavy or Rush offer as the starting SG that Dahntay does not. Is the three point shooting ability of Dun/Rush more important than Dahntays defense/hustle/ability to get to the rim.

I firmly believe Dahntay Jones cares about winning much more than Dunleavy/Rush. You can't quantify the desire to win, but for me D. Jones is clearly the most competitive guy between those three.
    *removed* Just keep politics and religion completely out of it, please.

Quote Originally Posted by BobbyMac View Post
    Jones can play, he has some problems on offense because he doesn't know when to shoot and when to pass. When he's hot, it works, most of the time he simply becomes a black hole. I like him off the bench where he can play limited minutes if it's not working. Start Dunleavy, back him up with Dahntay and sit (trade) Rush.
    I don't know if I've ever agreed with you 100% in a post before but I just want to make sure to mark this one as one that I do.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Theodore View Post
    My thing is...Dunleavy is a proven loser (this coming from someone who likes Dun)
    You mean because he played for GS and the pacers and not the Lakers or Celtics he is a proven loser?
    Dun is probably our best wing b/u with PG as starter.

Dun has been one of the better players on many of his teams. But sure, if you want a contender he needs to come off the bench. There's nothing wrong with Mike, he's just been relied upon too much to be a key scorer. That means he always got more minutes than he really should have. But he's still a good player and pre-injury was probably capable of starting on a contender.

19. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BlueNGold For This Useful Post:

I just feel bad for Dahntay, honestly. He sure does make the most of his time this year though, that's for sure.

Easy tiger. Let's not go crazy and start him just because he played one good game infront of his hometown.I think when b.rush comes back from injury, jones should be getting 6-8 mins a night

AUSTRALIA'S NO.1 PACER FAN

Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post
    I don't know if I've ever agreed with you 100% in a post before but I just want to make sure to mark this one as one that I do.
    Are you guys calling for jones to play over George?

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by spazzxb View Post
    Are you guys calling for jones to play over George?
    NO, not over Rush ethier
    Last edited by pacer4ever; 02-06-2011 at 08:05 PM.

Dahntay is just the flavor of the month, He shouldn't be starting for anyone. Glad we have him to throw at D-Wade, but he shouldn't be starting.

Also its sad to see how we've turned on Rush so quickly. He's like the only one who hasn't gotten to show his stuff for Coach Frank.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to LA_Confidential For This Useful Post:

One thing, amongst others I like about Vogel is that he rides a hot player. Today Jones was hot and things were going well. He rode Dahntay through the fourth quarter.
    {o,o}
    |)__)
    -"-"-

27. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to owl For This Useful Post:

This is actually why I hope we trade Jones. It isn't because I think he is a bad player, but because I believe he has some qualities to offer a team but this team has no real need for him. We drafted two SG's this past year while we already had a good SG and a SF who played the majority of his minutes at SG. It just seems like a waste to have him on this team.

Mood

So far so good with Dahntay. I'd say let's keep him in the rotation unless he fizzles and this is just some hot streak.

Play McRoberts and Price! BRushWithDeath's Avatar

It isn't even a streak. It was one game. He was hitting jumpshots that not only does he usually miss, but really had no business taking.

He is extremely aggressive offensively and I wish that would rub off on Rush and to a lesser extent George, but he just isn't good enough to justify playing over our top 4 wings when they are healthy.
    "I had to take her down like Chris Brown."

-Lance Stephenson

31. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BRushWithDeath For This Useful Post:

Feed the big fella. Infinite MAN_force's Avatar

It absolutely blows me away that people actually think Jones should be playing ahead of Rush. Its flabbergasting.

Jones is much more of an offensive liability than Rush, There I said it. He's a ball stopper who disrupts the flow of the entire offense, and his inability to hit the three hurts spacing because it allows defenders to sag off of him. This is basketball 101 people, why do people fail to grasp this?

He has a role in the NBA. He should be a situational player used as a disruptive force to slow down a wing player who is on a run, or produce some quick offense if a team has become stagnant, but he is the poster child for the law of diminishing returns. The longer he is out there, the less effective he becomes, and he will drag the team down with him.

I can't wait till Rush comes back, immediately returns to the rotation (seating Jones back on the bench), looks effective because he will finally be playing for a more structured offense that suits his strengths, and we can put this silly obsession with Dahntay Jones behind us.
    "As a bearded man, i was very disappointed in Love. I am gathering other bearded men to discuss the status of Kevin Love's beard. I am motioning that it must be shaved."

- ilive4sports

33. The Following User Says Thank You to Infinite MAN_force For This Useful Post:

the simple truth is danny, paul, mike and brandon are all better players than dahntay. that doesn't make him a bad guy or anything. it does mean that when they are all healthy, he sits because there just aren't enough minutes going around. the fact that the best players play and the others don't sometimes gets lost on this board. too many of us want to see our favorite players play because they are our favorites and not because they are the best player.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

What has DJones won that Dunleavy has not won? Congrats that DJones was a member of the Nuggets who didn't "win" anything.

Then we go into their college careers, where Dunleavy has a ring, and DJones doesn't.......

36. The Following User Says Thank You to Since86 For This Useful Post: