Thread: 10 Favorites To Watch Nightly (Pacers related)

Thumbs up 10 Favorites To Watch Nightly (Pacers related)

** NOTE: I am only including the Pacers related excerpt**

10 Favorites To Watch Nightly

By: Tyler Sherkin
    Feb 02, 2011 22:51 PM EST

• Roy Hibbert

Especially now that Jim O’Brien is gone and he’s being permitted to play, Hibbert is a captivating player to watch. He won’t ever be mistaken for Shaq, but he’s a nice mid/low-post big with legitimate skills. Hibbert is a great passer, good defender, crummy rebounder (given his size), but he’s making strides. I love to watch his inside/outside offense and just how versatile he can be working from the elbow area and in the low post.

rest of article can be found @ http://basketball.realgm.com/article..._Watch_Nightly
    Quote Originally Posted by naptownmenace View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Plumlee reminds me of a young Dale Davis. Good rebounding and he contests shots well on defense and his offensive game is very raw just like DD's was coming out of college.
    "If my answers frighten you, then you should cease asking scary questions."

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Kemo For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: 10 Favorites To Watch Nightly (Pacers related)

The writer is right in the sense that a young Shaq would have dominated in any system however...

Roy is a top 5 (maybe even 3) talent Center in this league and his problems lately were due to JOBs complete lack of trust in Roy. It was said early that the offense was going to run through Roy. In the later stages of the JOB era that completely stopped happening, we started losing, and Roy struggled badly. It's no coincidence that Roy has started playing better in the last three games since JOB left.
    Last edited by Isaac; 02-05-2011 at 05:49 AM.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Isaac For This Useful Post:

crazy shinaniganz BringJackBack's Avatar

I don't really see the "crummy" rebounding.. I think this year he's been a pretty good rebounder.

It would help him out a lot though if he would rebound with two hands all of the time, but I don't know if he can due to his lack of balance.

i believe the standard for an NBA center is 1 rebound every 3 minutes. roy is averaging 1 rebound every 3 1/2 minutes. that is below the standard, but not terrible. it does show that roy is not a 'good' rebounder.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Roy isn't a terrible rebounder, but you expect a 7'2" guy to average more than 10. I think he can if he adds a little strength. Losing weight was good for him, but he needs to add some muscle. That will help his offense as well, because he'll be better able to establish and hold position down low.

When he's really rolling, you'll notice he's quicker into his move and more decisive. He's very hard to stop when he gets a pass and goes with it because he's so long and skilled. I'd like to see him develop the ability to get a pass, back a guy down a little, and push his way to the rim, ala Shaq and DHoward. He also needs to work on his under the basket technique. Too often he brings the ball down too low, even dribbling sometimes, and he gets it knocked away or blocked on a put back attempt. He's 7'2", that should not happen.

Otherwise, if he can put together a good second half of this season and average say 15pts/10rbs and the Pacers make a playoff push, I think he's right back into the Most Improved discussion. I like what we've seen these last three games from Roy. His swag is back.
    BLUE COLLAR GOLD SWAGGER

@The_Real_CJake

Give roy another 2 months before you criticize his rebounding.

Remember under JOB he was in some weird places on offense. Alot of setting screens in the high post. I believe his Offensive rebounding will increase by 1 or 2 points per game just by being lower in the post.

expect a 7'2" guy to average more than 10rpg??? in what world? name me the last 7'2"+ player to average 10rpg. typically, players over 7' struggle with becoming dominant rebounders since they usually lack leverage. pau is the only player averaging over 10rpg at 7' in the league...

the fact that this guy is calling hibbert a "crummy" rebounder makes me think he hasn't watched much of him this year. hibbert has been a very good rebounder given where he was 1-2 years ago.

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to croz24 For This Useful Post:

I've noticed Hibbert's rebounding has been much improved as well.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by croz24 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    expect a 7'2" guy to average more than 10rpg??? in what world? name me the last 7'2"+ player to average 10rpg. typically, players over 7' struggle with becoming dominant rebounders since they usually lack leverage. pau is the only player averaging over 10rpg at 7' in the league...

the fact that this guy is calling hibbert a "crummy" rebounder makes me think he hasn't watched much of him this year. hibbert has been a very good rebounder given where he was 1-2 years ago.
    He's better, but let's not kid ourselves: he's still not a very good rebounder.

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

Roy's not a great rebounder, but I will say that I think his shot blocking is not just as simple as being tall. He's a pretty active and disruptive shot blocker.

Really his only "only because I'm tall" stat is the rebounding. The rest is good period, at least when he's playing smooth and confident.

Watching them use Josh to feed Roy in the post is also a lot of fun, they are working that method very well and from multiple spots. Best of all is you can feed and let Josh do the run through and if his man isn't completely honest Roy is very capable of dumping right back to Josh for a power score at the rim.

I tend to agree with croz on the height thing. Once you're up to 7+ feet, I think it starts to hurt as much or more than it helps, unless you're an uber-freak and are still quick/fast for your size. Typically by that point you're more of an Ent.

I think ideally for rebounding, assuming you're quick/fast for your size, is probably closer to 6'10, 6'11.