Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What happens when Rush comes back?

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default What happens when Rush comes back?

Simple question. Some of you seem to think he will be rejuvenated due to the lack of O'Brien, but I'm more concerned about what happens to Paul George. Vogel seems pretty intent on not playing small ball, letting McRoberts and Hansbrough eat the PF minutes. Obviously, Brandon will take the 10 or so minutes that Jones is playing now, but will he eat into George's minutes? Dunleavy's? I don't want to see George lose any time at all. In fact, I'd like to see him hit around 25 mpg.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: What happens when Rush comes back?

He takes Inferno's mins I would think

Mood

I think Paul keeps his minutes, Dahntay loses his and maybe Mike loses some.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Day-V For This Useful Post:

The light, not the lie. kester99's Avatar
    Mood

He'll take the D. Jones minutes, and the rest will be based on whatever Vogel sees in the game. That's what I'd like to see anyway. If George is hot, he'll get the minutes. Same for Rush, Dun, etc.
    [~]) ... Cheers! Go Pacers!

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kester99 For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Day-V View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think Paul keeps his minutes, Dahntay loses his and maybe Mike loses some.
    this would be the hope, if rush excels than he takes more of mikes minutes, but pg24 needs to get 20-25 minutes a game.
    Last edited by PacersPride; 02-04-2011 at 11:54 PM.

crazy shinaniganz BringJackBack's Avatar

I don't really know for sure.. He'll probably take Dahntay's minutes (Which isn't neccessarily a bad idea, but I prefer Dahntay because his game is unique), and take a few of Mike and George's minutes.

I have a feeling that Mike is going to be moved to the bench soon though. Vogel said that we are attacking the rim more and that's not Mike's game. On top of that, George seems to be outshining him and with Rush back I think he may even get put into the starting lineup. I wouldn't like that though because to say that I'm not a huge fan of Brandon's game would be an understatement.

You never know, we may end up making a (good) trade too.

Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    Simple question. Some of you seem to think he will be rejuvenated due to the lack of O'Brien, but I'm more concerned about what happens to Paul George. Vogel seems pretty intent on not playing small ball, letting McRoberts and Hansbrough eat the PF minutes. Obviously, Brandon will take the 10 or so minutes that Jones is playing now, but will he eat into George's minutes? Dunleavy's? I don't want to see George lose any time at all. In fact, I'd like to see him hit around 25 mpg.
    I'm not sure if he'll eat into Paul's minutes.

I think between he, George, and Dunleavy, whomever's playing least well that night will get Dahntay-sized minutes, with the other two keeping what we see Paul and Mike getting right now.

That aside, I think we're going to see (for better or worse) what Brandon is really made of. He's got no more excuses once he gets back. O'Brien is out, Vogel is in, and this situation is everything he could have ever asked for to prove himself once he's back, assuming he at least gets 10 minutes a game.

I think we'll finally know for sure what we have (or don't have) with him.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

He'll take Dahntay's minutes.

Maybe some of Dunleavy's

And most likely disappear for ridiculous amounts of time to the point where I want to bash my head into a wall.
    Stop quoting people I have on ignore!

I would like him only to take Dahntay's minutes. 10-12 minutes.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I think he takes Dunleavy's role and place. All the Mike Dunleavy fans don't want to believe it but he is just not a part of the future of this team. He is just not a better player than Brandon Rush when you look at the totality of the game. Why in the world play him the last few months of this season? It just doesn't make sense. It only benefits us from an experience standpoint if the youngsters get playoff experience.

Brandons defensive ability alone is greater than Mikes offensive ability. And Rush is not a bad offensive player by any means. In fact he is a lot like Mike Dunleavy. Incredibly inconsistant, but a really solid all around offensive basketball player with no real huge weaknesses. But the glaring difference is Brandons athleticism allows him to impact the game defensively at a high level. He should start, with George getting 20-25 minutes backing up both Granger and Rush. And I would even let Dahntay mop up whats left considering he has a contract for the next couple of years with us. Save Mike for the playoffs as a potential x-factor. And let teams call and make trade offers, and see what comes.

Frank Vogel said it tonight, the teams identity has changed. So we should embrace it fully. He wants to win with grit and defense. Adding Rush to the team is a huge lift. He replaced TJ with the more gritty AJ Price and we have seen an improvement in the overall play of the team. I think the same will be true for Rush vs. Dunleavy. The good teams in the league usually have two wings who can score, so you better have your best defensive wings on the court. We can score points with Rush or Dunleavy on the court. We've shown that.

14. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Taterhead For This Useful Post:

I anticipate we could shave a little bit of Danny's minutes off as well. In my world, Paul and Granger would start unless we think Brandon could do a better job defensively on someone since PG is still a rook after all.

Then Rush is the first wing off the bench for Danny or Paul depending on who is tired and or not playing well. I would hope for him to score around 9-12 pts per game as the main wing substitute while playing great D. I would think that is a reasonable expectation.

Then we can throw Dunleavy in a similar Posey-esque role where he plays at the ends of games when we need to hit a shot or to change up the pace if nothing else is working.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to DemonHunter1105 For This Useful Post:

Let PG Fly Again Soon! ECKrueger's Avatar

I hope he take DJ's and some of Mike's minutes. I really like BRush.

Sports Logo

I would be ok with some limited # of minutes of small ball as well to get BRush some wind minutes a well.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

personally, I'd like to see him just take Mike's minutes...I like what Dahntay brings to the 2nd unit. I think both Brandon and Dahntay bring things that Mike can't on both sides of the floor under Frank.
    Sometimes a player's greatest challenge is coming to grips with his role on the team. -- Scottie Pippen

20. The Following User Says Thank You to jcouts For This Useful Post:

Of all the players on this team Rush was the biggest misfit with JOB. It also appeared to me that JOB didn't care to utilize Rush on the offensive side of the ball. The best example I can think of was the latest Boston game. Rush was the only player doing anything on the offensive end, and had killed the Celtics for a few possessions in a row. After the Celtics called a timeout the team seemed to have forgotten Rush was even on the team. The team didn't even look for him, and JOB didn't bother to run any plays for him. If Vogel expects and tries to put Rush in the best position for him to score I am willing to bet Rush becomes a much more consistent player on the offensive end.

Rush has been so passive in the last couple of months, I'd rather have Dahntay in there. If Rush doesn't at least try to play like he did in November he can enjoy the rest of his NBA career sitting at the end of the bench for a different city every year in the role as a situational defensive player.

But yeah, I still think he deserves a shot under Vogel and if he puts his mind to it (which he never has consistently) he could be a 15 ppg guy that also plays great defense. But do I see that happening, hell no.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to idioteque For This Useful Post:

odds are he takes all of dahntay's minutes. some of mikes. some of dannys. for the next 3 weeks or so.

nothing against mike, but by the trade deadline, i hope brandon gets all of mikes because mike is gone. and the pacers have a real NBA PF to replace him.

The way Frank is encouraging the others to play (hard-nosed, 'blood and guts', aggressive), it wouldn't shock me if we see November '10 Brandon out there. But with him, you have to assume he'll be passive until he proves otherwise.

Hopefully Rush is back in the starting line up. Have mike come in with the second unit. This way AJ can stop jacking up so many shots. AJ, PG, Mike Tyler and Jeff is a solid second unit at this point.

27. The Following User Says Thank You to LA_Confidential For This Useful Post:

I don't get the love for D. Jones. He made some nice plays last night, but he also had some awkward turnovers. He is so limited as an offensive player. I'd much rather see Brandon get his time at the very least. JMO

29. The Following User Says Thank You to DieHard For This Useful Post:

Looks like most on here have figured right. Vogel said on JMV that D.J. is the odd man out (not his exact words) and says that he talked to Dahntay about it and that Dahntay understands what the team is trying to do.

crazy shinaniganz BringJackBack's Avatar

I'll give Rush another chance (once again), but at this point I'm not holding my breath. He hit rock bottom again before he sprained his ankle and he started that stupid zoning out thing he does during stretches of the season. I don't think Rush will be able to match the intensity that Dahntay brings.

The reason that it's frustrating is because we all know that Rush can be a good starting shooting guard in this league, but he's way too woefully inconsistent and he gets himself out of games too much. I don't know what to ever expect from him game to game.

32. The Following User Says Thank You to BringJackBack For This Useful Post:

This is what Rush needs to do: play balls to the wall defense, and be a spot shooter. Give us 10-13 minutes a night doing that. I actually think that next year, George will be every bit as good of a defender as Brandon is.

Quote Originally Posted by BringJackBack View Post
    I'll give Rush another chance (once again), but at this point I'm not holding my breath. He hit rock bottom again before he sprained his ankle and he started that stupid zoning out thing he does during stretches of the season. I don't think Rush will be able to match the intensity that Dahntay brings.

The reason that it's frustrating is because we all know that Rush can be a good starting shooting guard in this league, but he's way too woefully inconsistent and he gets himself out of games too much. I don't know what to ever expect from him game to game.
    The same could have been said about the entire team during the depression years. Im optimistic that Rush will produce under Coach Frank. Just looking at the last three games, everytime the ball gets swung around to Dahntay, I caught myself thinking, damn wheres Rush when you need that knockdown spot up 3. Thats been the only reason I havent been harping on Dunleavy the last 3 games. I cant wait until he comes back.

35. The Following User Says Thank You to LA_Confidential For This Useful Post:

At this point why would you not make Rush earn his minutes back from D.J.? Why change something that is working...

In any case this team needs to find a way to turn all this dept at the wing position into a trade.