Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pacers Crate with Coach Vogel

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Pacers Crate with Coach Vogel

I really like this guy...

http://www.nba.com/pacers/news/crate.html

I didn't see this posted. If it is, then I apologize.

2. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to BPump33 For This Useful Post:

crazy shinaniganz BringJackBack's Avatar

Default Re: Pacers Crate with Coach Vogel

I want to play basketball for coach Vogel.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BringJackBack For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I loved every thing he said expect "Posey one of the all time great role players" He was a really good role player in his prime not all time great. but now he is a bench warmer who is "irrelevant" i hope.

I hope i can cross Posey off my sig after getting a few more DNPs

Mood

How can you not love this guy?

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Day-V For This Useful Post:

B U T L E R..U a Bulldog!

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

He is to Indiana Pacers fans as what Brad Stevens is to Butler fans. you gotta love 'em.

Man, we had hidden talent on our bench this whole time.

He's a cool guy, but pushes his players in a calm, comfortable way.

I knew he'd make a great head coach for this team.

Before some of you vote him into the coaching Hall of Fame, take a deep breath and realize the way a coach is in the media does not prove he is a great coach, or a terrible coach or an average coach. He's coached two games.

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Before some of you vote him into the coaching Hall of Fame, take a deep breath and realize the way a coach is in the media does not prove he is a great coach, or a terrible coach or an average coach. He's coached two games.

And there it is, Tropical Storm Buck O'Brien, pouring down on our Pacers Championship Parade.

Nah, just messing with you UB. You're absolutely right. It's been 2 games. The guy very well could turn out to be a coach that's just not very good. And while my brain is telling me to take it easy on the expectations, which really deep down I know we'll be lucky to get a playoff spot, let alone back to .500, the insane, illogical fan part of me thinks this guy is the next John Wooden. And I'm riding that gravy train for as long as I can. Who knows? Maybe my insane, illogical fan side will be right for once?
    Last edited by Day-V; 02-03-2011 at 11:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    I'm sorry, but I find the turn of events hilarious. You go from defending O'Brien all the time, to immediately trying to drag people down on Vogel.

I'm not saying you're wrong, or meaning it in a bad way, I just find the contrasting tone of posts about the Pacers coach from you to be humorous. I'm so used to seeing you defend the Pacers coach it strikes me as odd.

14. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to xBulletproof For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by xBulletproof View Post
    I'm sorry, but I find the turn of events hilarious. You go from defending O'Brien all the time, to immediately trying to drag people down on Vogel.

I'm not saying you're wrong, or meaning it in a bad way, I just find the contrasting tone of posts about the Pacers coach from you to be humorous. I'm so used to seeing you defend the Pacers coach it strikes me as odd.
    I'm not doing anything differently than I ever do.

If someone would make a highly negative post about Frank Vogel I would I would make a post telling that person to take a deep breath, he's not that bad he's coached two games. We don't know yet.

Not trying to drag people down, but I am hoping a little time is waited before we say stuff like "I knew he would be a great coach" or "I knew he would be a bad coach"
    Last edited by Unclebuck; 02-03-2011 at 11:24 PM.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:

Mood

Oh, UB, let them have a few small rays of sunshine between arguments.

I don't have any particular expectations about Coach V yet - we just haven't seen him on the job enough, and he hasn't had to make any really tough decisions. I'll feel more comfortable forming some conclusions about his abilities and impact on the team in another 8-10 games.

As far as what we can glean via the media, I have appreciated Coach Vogel's positive and confident tone. He is perhaps a little overly effusive at times but I think our team could really benefit from that after O'Brien's contrasting style. His comments (so far, and yes I know it's early and this could change) sync up to his actions in a way I find refreshing too.

I think most realize it's way too early to really know what we have in Coach Vogel, but are so happy about the changes they've seen early on that they are encouraged, excited, or engaged in way that they haven't been with the Pacers in awhile. After so much frustration and negativity you're going to see some swinging to the other extreme and there's going to be some giddy hyperbole.

That said, I've been in most of the new threads threads since Vogel assumed the head coaching position and while there is definitely a lot of praise I also see a number of caveats like the ones I've offered, some criticism of the team's performance, even some questioning of coaching decisions in the game thread. But your "Before some of you vote him into the coaching Hall of Fame..." comment makes it sound all that's going on in these threads is unvarnished sunshine and I don't think that's fair characterization of it. Perhaps that isn't what you mean to imply, but that's how I read it.

P.S., UB, don't you ever get tired of tilting away at the extremes? The "What does everyone expect tomorrow?" thread has plenty of middle of the road, non-antagonistic questions like "Do you expect much improvement, if any, after the allstar break?" and you'll see that many of us are anticipating a loss, it's not all sunshine, and the reply button really does work on posts of people with more nuanced positions on things.
    Last edited by gummy; 02-04-2011 at 12:15 AM.
    "Freedom is nothing else but a chance to be better." - Albert Camus

"Appreciation is a wonderful thing. It makes what is excellent in others belong to us as well." - Voltaire

Michael Pina, Red94: "There are so many different ways the Pacers can beat you. They have an All-Star scoring threat, imposing figures on the front line, steady point guard play, and most importantly, a defense that'll choke the life out of just about every offense that crosses its path."

18. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to gummy For This Useful Post:

can't wait to see this v Heisenberg's Avatar

Sports Logo

Mr. Boyle's jacket's pretty friggin sweet, does Home Court have it?

20. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:

I'm not going to go one extreme or the other, but Vogel is saying all the right things, he's backing up what he says with his decisions on the court, he's the kind of positive force that this team really needs right now, and he's doing all of the things that the arm-chair coaches have been clamouring for since 2008. I think the fate of this team truly rests in the hands of the players at this point. I think he's good enough of a coach to allow the best players to play, to play with a little freedom, and see what comes of it. It's an exciting time to be a Pacers fan!
    Last edited by Indra; 02-04-2011 at 04:39 AM.

Mood

Anyone find it interesting that this crate episode seem to take a little jab at some one with the rotation, and dnp, bit at the beginning of the crate? I thought that to be pretty funny.

Quote Originally Posted by xBulletproof View Post
    I didn't get that vibe from UB. Sure, he's defended O'Brien before (not that that's relevant here anyway), but right now he's just trying to put all the Vogel love into perspective. So far, we've only seen that he can speak well and defeat the Raptors and Cavs. That isn't enough to judge him upon at this point.

Some threads on PD just make me shake my head....

Uncle Buck- Well said.

And btw, that's 2-0 'at home' vs a couple teams that absolutely
    suck.

The wins (albeit against bad teams) are nice, but my main thing isn't just that he can speak.

He backs up his actions. That's really all I've asked for in the past with JOB. If our players suck, then so be it. I can live with that.

I'm not going to call Vogel the best coach ever or worst coach ever. I just have a strong liking for the guy just because he's a man of his word and can actually back up what he says.

Putting the right guys on the floor for the right situations, and letting whoever is hot finish the game for you says a whole lot to me.

I guess I just got so used to the head games with JOB, that Vogel is such a breath of fresh air.
    Stop quoting people I have on ignore!

Quote Originally Posted by Indra View Post
    and he's doing all of the things that the arm-chair coaches have been clamoring for since 2008.
    Dunleavy is starting, Foster is playing and TJ and Posey are still active. In 2008 the a lot of the arm chair QB's didn't want Mcroberts around (he definitely had his fans as well), Roy and Rush were rookies, and the rest of our youth were still in college, or High School. Enjoy the fresh air but be realistic.
    Last edited by spazzxb; 02-04-2011 at 07:17 AM.

Protect the Promise. HOOPFANATIC's Avatar

UB is fair in saying that Coach Vogel needs a few more wins before we annoint him. I personally will even venture to wait until the end of the season before I decide if he is a keeper. It's obvious the players like him, and it's also obvious that he's probably either been on here, or at least talked to people who have, cause he doesn't sound like the Obrien disciple we all know him to be. I'm just trying to keep it real, but it looks like Uncle Bucks post showed me what happens when keeping it real goes wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by The Jackson shimmy View Post
    Some threads on PD just make me shake my head....

Uncle Buck- Well said.

And btw, that's 2-0 'at home' vs a couple teams that absolutely
    suck.
    The last game was in Cleveland.

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

You know, Daniel Boone used his bare hands to kill a bear when he was three. But, actually, he had molasses all over his hands, making it more sticky, so it wasn't like using his completely bare hands.

And, sure, George Washington confessed to chopping down that cherry tree. But his brother saw him do it, so he sort of HAD to say the honest thing. It was no particular precedent for the future.

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

B U T L E R..U a Bulldog!

Quote Originally Posted by spazzxb View Post
    Dunleavy is starting, Foster is playing and TJ and Posey are still active. In 2008 the a lot of the arm chair QB's didn't want Mcroberts around (he definitely had his fans as well), Roy and Rush were rookies, and the rest of our youth were still in college, or High School. Enjoy the fresh air but be realistic.
    They have to dress twelve players a game. the inactives are Lance, solo, and rush. rush is injured right now. We do not want solo to play. Once rush comes back and Lance is ready. Posey and TJ will be the ones inactive. Process of elimination.

Mood

I'm with Buck on this one beating 2 bad teams and charming fans and media means nothing long term. Lets see how the rest of the season plays out before making a decision on his coaching future here.

Anyone would have been a brreathe of fresh air after Jim O'Brien . I'm far from sold on Vogel lets just be happy the early results are favorable but not get carried away quite yet.

32. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to diamonddave00 For This Useful Post:

I would venture to say that his real test isn't going to come until this team is in the playoffs in a few months. If Vogel takes this team to the playoffs and they are at least competitive by winning a game or two then I would bring him back on a 2 or 3 year contract as head coach.
    "I've got an idea--an idea so smart that my head would explode if I even began to know what I'm talking about." - Peter Griffin

Sports Logo Sports Logo

I like Vogel and think he will be a solid coach someday, but do not expect him to return next season.

If the team can start playing similar to how they played earlier in the year, I will be very pleased with Vogel, and he should at least get an interview for the position.

As Vogel stated, this is a very good basketball team. Most on here were believing this as well when we beat the Lakers in LA, and the run to begin the season. I fully expect the team to begin playing with the same type of success it had in Nov. Vogel can take all the credit, but it will likely have more to do with Obrien no longer being the coach.

I fully expect the pacers to make the playoffs, which seemed like a given after the great start to the season.