Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Stephenson coming soon...

Default Re: Stephenson coming soon...

Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    As for Lance actually playing, I really think it would behoove all parties involved if we stopped pretending this guy was a point guard, because he's not. If he's going to play, give him the 10-12 worthless minutes that Dahntay Jones has been playing. Let him play with Price. AJ doesn't have to have the ball to be effective, and they could share some of the ballhandling load. Dahntay isn't giving us much of anything out there, and I'm a little unsure why there seems to be a contingent around here that likes him.
    Right, he played his best in the preseason next to Price. Price is probably as good as a fit for a point guard that you could find next to Lance.

I like Dahntay Jones the person, and I just haven't seen him play as much. So if he played a ton, especially over the likes of Paul George and Brandon Rush, I'd probably end up feeling the same way about him as I do about Ford. (Really good person..but I don't need to see him play basketball any longer)

But for right now..I find him to be a really good teammate.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Sookie For This Useful Post:

Keeping Obie that long was almost strictly financial imo.
    That's what I thought. But according to Kravitz, (which could be wrong) Bird didn't want to fire Obie, Simon said to do it.

Play McRoberts and Price! BRushWithDeath's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I have no problem with prostitution between consenting adults.

I have a problem with a guy, who absolutely must be on his best behavior, because of multiple past incidents, being dumb enough to get recorded getting fingered by a known loud mouth groupie whore.

But my thinking he won't make it in the NBA has nothing to with his arrest record.
    "I had to take her down like Chris Brown."

-Lance Stephenson

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    I don't really care when he's going to play. he was a very late second round pick who could spend the next few years in prison, so I don't care about him.

I don't care for him either, but he wasn't a late 2nd round pick. He was #10 pick in the 2nd round.

Now, Ramon Sessions was a late 2nd round pick in the 50's, and I have liked him since he was with Milwaukee. I would have liked to have seen Bird get him this past summer from Minnie.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by BRushWithDeath View Post
    I have a problem with a guy, who absolutely must be on his best behavior, because of multiple past incidents, being dumb enough to get recorded getting fingered by a known loud mouth groupie whore.

Not gonna lie, I got a hearty chuckle out of this.

Quote Originally Posted by BRushWithDeath View Post
    I have no problem with prostitution between consenting adults.

But my thinking he won't make it in the NBA has nothing to with his arrest record.
    Does it really matter to you what he does in his own personal life?

While you might think that *** play is disgusting, that's your opinion. It's not illegal. If Lance doesn't care that people know his sexual fetishes, or whatever, then why should you?

It says more about our society, and looking down on him because of what he likes, than it say's about Lance. We don't need to be a nation full of judgemental squares. Obviously I think we don't need to go to the extreme other way either.

But what Lance likes to do in his own private time is his business. As long as it's legal, then so be it.

The only thing I have a problem with, is that he got a hooker. There are plenty of women out there that are more than willing to engage in activities out there, who you don't have to pay.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Since86 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Day-V View Post

Dude was never going to see time with Jimmy around.

It's probably the "ONE" thing I could agree with Jimmy on! I never want to see Stephenson step on the court representing the Pacers. He's just one "more" incident away from being another PR nightmare for the Pacers. I don't care about his possible great potential, b/c at this stage that's all it is, potential. He also has the potential of being a PR nightmare, and I feel that outweighs what he could possibly bring as a 3rd or 4th PG, a position he's NOT qualified to play.

crazy shinaniganz BringJackBack's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Tyme View Post
    I don't care for him either, but he wasn't a late 2nd round pick. He was #10 pick in the 2nd round.

Now, Ramon Sessions was a late 2nd round pick in the 50's, and I have liked him since he was with Milwaukee. I would have liked to have seen Bird get him this past summer from Minnie.
    I still want him.. Great backup, and he's big enough to guard the monster point guards.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to BringJackBack For This Useful Post:

As for Lance actually playing, I really think it would behoove all parties involved if we stopped pretending this guy was a point guard, because he's not.

But but there are those that think he can be made into a PG. Then Jimmy thought Posey was a PF. If you believe hard enough, it surely will come to be.

People still can't seem to grasp that we can't release him based on being charged, no matter how obvious that case could be. So no, we couldn't have cut ties with him yet.

If you haven't been found guilty by a court of law, then you're not guilty. An employer cutting ties with an employee who has only been accused, and not found guilty would set up for a serious lawsuit that would not be won by the Pacers.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to xBulletproof For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by xBulletproof View Post
    People still can't seem to grasp that we can't release him based on being charged, no matter how obvious that case could be. So no, we couldn't have cut ties with him yet.

If you haven't been found guilty by a court of law, then you're not guilty. An employer cutting ties with an employee who has only been accused, and not found guilty would set up for a serious lawsuit that would not be won by the Pacers.

The Pacers can cut anybody on their team at anytime they want to, and there's nothing a player can do about it. They might have to pay them the remainder of their contract but they can release them from the team no matter the situation.
    "I've got an idea--an idea so smart that my head would explode if I even began to know what I'm talking about." - Peter Griffin

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DGPR For This Useful Post:

I just want to see if he can play at the NBA level. Nothing more, nothing less. I watched him during the Summer League games, and he had flashes of potentional. If he can make the transition, a 6-5 PG would cause havoc in the NBA.

Banned

I can't wait to see this guy on the floor, I don't care what anybody says.

Quote Originally Posted by ksuttonjr76 View Post
    I just want to see if he can play at the NBA level. Nothing more, nothing less. I watched him during the Summer League games, and he had flashes of potentional. If he can make the transition, a 6-5 PG would cause havoc in the NBA.
    I thought he was the best player in the Orlando summer league for any team, granted it was a talent depleted group. He near dominated the few games he played, imo.
    Last edited by Speed; 02-03-2011 at 01:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DGPR View Post
    The Pacers can cut anybody on their team at anytime they want to, and there's nothing a player can do about it. They might have to pay them the remainder of their contract but they can release them from the team no matter the situation.
    You're right, but a good lawyer would show up in court with a list of quotes from Larry Bird, highlights from Summer League. A ton of NBA reports about Lance's showing in Summer League and be able to make a case that he wasn't cut for reasons on the court, and he'd probably win.

They could sue for the damage done to his career and potential future earnings lost by the release. Especially if the case was thrown out of court or he was in some way found not guilty. He would win, and the Pacers would lose.

So yes, the Pacers can release him anytime they feel. But I could also go shoot someone anytime I felt like walking outside with my pistol and pulling the trigger. Neither truth would prevent me from going to jail, or the Pacers from losing that court case either. So they can, but they really can't.

**EDIT** To expand on this, notice any application you fill out asks if you've ever been "convicted" of a felony, and not "accused" of a felony? The law protects people from being punished without being found guilty. I wouldn't want to be the sports team that tries to set a precedent that you can release someone on accusations.
    Last edited by xBulletproof; 02-03-2011 at 01:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    I can't wait to see this guy on the floor, I don't care what anybody says.

Watching this video...has Paul George ever gotten a clean facial on someone yet? It seems like he always make these "akward" dunks in traffic which is weird given that he pretty good smooth body control,
    Last edited by ksuttonjr76; 02-03-2011 at 01:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by xBulletproof View Post
    You're right, but a good lawyer would show up in court with a list of quotes from Larry Bird, highlights from Summer League. A ton of NBA reports about Lance's showing in Summer League and be able to make a case that he wasn't cut for reasons on the court, and he'd probably win.

They could sue for the damage done to his career and potential future earnings lost by the release. Especially if the case was thrown out of court or he was in some way found not guilty. He would win, and the Pacers would lose.

So yes, the Pacers can release him anytime they feel. But I could also go shoot someone anytime I felt like walking outside with my pistol and pulling the trigger. Neither truth would prevent me from going to jail, or the Pacers from losing that court case either. So they can, but they really can't.
    I'm not a lawyer, but I'm basically certain they can release him anytime they feel and it will be within the bounds of his contract. All they're required to do is pay him, since his deal is guaranteed. They don't have to have a reason for why they drop him. Since it's contract employment and not even standard employment under Indiana law, things like protected classes don't even apply. It's different from getting fired from a Denny's.

Do you have any example of any player at any point in the NBA's history suing their former team for releasing them?

Edit: If this theoretical good lawyer just has to "make a case that he wasn't cut for reasons on the court, and he'd probably win," then why haven't we heard back from Tinsley? He was obviously cut for other reasons, and the Pacers clearly managed to assassinate his career by benching him for so long before finally cutting him.
    Last edited by smj887; 02-03-2011 at 01:58 PM.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to smj887 For This Useful Post:

be interesting to see if stephenson can defend or not. if he can bring the ball up the court against pressure and defend at least as well as collison, then he has a chance. pretty sure everybody on the pacers thinks he can produce in the half court offense, it's just a matter of defending.

Banned

Does anybody remember what newspaper told the story first? we need to remember what kind of newspapers they got in NY, I have a feeling that the Pacers know what really happened.

I'm thinking the Pacers know what can be and can't be proved in court, more than what happened. That's really where their immediate interests would lie.

Long term, I guess you just try to put everything in place to help him make better decisions and hope he does.

I kinda cringe at the thought of the lock out next year and the teams aren't allowed to babysit, er um keep close tabs on him.

It just gets back to my earlier thoughts, I don't trust him, so therefore I'd never give him a long/big contract, so really whats the point.

I guess he could have an epiphany... not sure I'd even believe that, with too much of my long term salary availability.

I've just spent too much time watching overpaid boneheads and then overpaid nice guys for their talent, the last few years to think it's worth it.

I get he's 19, I get he's had a different upbringing. I'm not passing judgement as much as don't want another Tinsley on our hands. The PACERS ARE STILL PAYING TINSLEY TODAY!!!!

So to summarize, I'm okay with the almost no-risk contract he's on now, I want to see him play starting Friday, I just can't think of a scenerio that lets me resign him in 2.5 years for anything of value in years or dollars. None.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Speed View Post
    I'm thinking the Pacers know what can be and can't be proved in court, more than what happened. That's really where their immediate interests would lie.

Long term, I guess you just try to put everything in place to help him make better decisions and hope he does.

I kinda cringe at the thought of the lock out next year and the teams aren't allowed to babysit, er um keep close tabs on him.

It just gets back to my earlier thoughts, I don't trust him, so therefore I'd never give him a long/big contract, so really whats the point.

I guess he could have an epiphany... not sure I'd even believe that, with too much of my long term salary availability.

I've just spent too much time watching overpaid boneheads and then overpaid nice guys for their talent, the last few years to think it's worth it.

I get he's 19, I get he's had a different upbringing. I'm not passing judgement as much as don't want another Tinsley on our hands. The PACERS ARE STILL PAYING TINSLEY TODAY!!!!

So to summarize, I'm okay with the almost no-risk contract he's on now, I want to see him play starting Friday, I just can't think of a scenerio that lets me resign him in 2.5 years for anything of value in years or dollars. None.
    Who knows maybe the new CBA would make it easier for teams to remove players and cut them.

billbradley

lance reminds me of isaiah rider

Quote Originally Posted by smj887 View Post
    Do you have any example of any player at any point in the NBA's history suing their former team for releasing them?
    Is there any history of a player being released over an accusation? Just because you sign a contract I have a hard time believing that laws just go out the window. I've been involved in the hiring/firing process and our paperwork said when hired that we can release you for any reason, and at any time, but it still didn't make us immune to the law. We couldn't fire someone for being caught doing something even if the eye witness was a police officer, until a jury came down with a guilty verdict.

As far as Tinsley goes, he wasn't released. He just didn't play. Same thing that has happened to Lance. However if you released him, it could be construed as a signal of guilt. That's nothing like what happened to Tinsley.

Whether you like Lance or not, the Pacers are in a position, finally, this offseason to court some free agents, and we are not going to be a very attractive destination if we are not seen as a franchise that will stand by their players even before they have had their day in court. Just my 2 cents.

billbradley

pic i took during pre season, i thought it was neat

32. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to billbradley For This Useful Post: