Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Stephenson coming soon...

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Stephenson coming soon...

Quote Originally Posted by troyc11a View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Really, why should I be excited to see player who was drafted in the 2nd round and not good enough to get on the court for an 18-27 team? If he was any good at all he would have already found his way on the court. "Born Ready" might never be ready!
    With O'Brien as coach? That's like oil mixing with water. Dude was never going to see time with Jimmy around.

The fact that Vogel has said repeatedly that Lance will be playing soon says something. At least to me.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Day-V For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by pacergod2 View Post
    I am hoping for Stephenson to be the combo guard off the bench. He comes in and scores in bunches and we don't have to worry about his defensive issues as much. OJ Mayo, Jarrett Jack, Gilbert Arenas (now), there are a ton of these combo guard players that make a ton of sense that can come in as a PG or SG depending on the matchup. That is what I envision his greatest role on an NBA team being. The kid seems like he is a natural scorer and the Pacers definitely could use the extra scoring.

Agreed, I think Vogel will have to patience to live with the turnovers and defensive lapses that will maybe come with him playing so we can get to the scoring bursts.

I want to see Lance set up in the low post, at some point and punish some weaker players/defenders. He's strong enough to establish position and finish, a good enough passer to create out of that set. Also, his Pick and Roll 20 foot jumper will be near unstoppable. I'm excited to see him get minutes.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Speed For This Useful Post:

A happy Roy is a good Roy DaveP63's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I don't have very high expectations of him, so anything postitive that he can bring is gravy. If he can really contribute, then so much the better. If not, what are you really out? But, I am ready to find out.
    http://www.grantland.com/blog/the-tr...nce-stephenson
    "But, first, let us now praise famous moments, because something happened Tuesday night in Indianapolis that you can watch a lifetime’s worth of professional basketball and never see again. There was a brief, and very decisive, and altogether unprecedented, outburst of genuine officiating, and it was directed at the best player in the world, and that, my dear young person, simply is not done."

I think Lance can be a great offensive player. Just hope he works hard on the defense. If he can get his defense to be even close to average, he'll be a very good player.
    Lance + Starting SG = Awesome

Now really free Lance!

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Day-V View Post
    "Stay Tuned"
    I ordered League Pass 10 minutes before the tip-off last night.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Sparhawk View Post
    I think Lance can be a great offensive player. Just hope he works hard on the defense. If he can get his defense to be even close to average, he'll be a very good player.
    I dont think is defense is any worse than Dunleavy. And Im certain his is better at taking it to the rack and creating his own shot than Dunleavy. At this point its all about focus and keeing up with the pace of the game. He's like 19 so he's got plenty of time and room to grow.

Chairman of the Boards 90'sNBARocked's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    I don't really care when he's going to play. he was a very late second round pick who could spend the next few years in prison, so I don't care about him.
    Thats a nice thing to say, arent you high and mighty
    Sittin on top of the world!

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    [Stephenson] could spend the next few years in prison, so I don't care about him.
    While it's true that he could, it doesn't seem very likely. The top brass has said that the true story is very different than what got leaked to the media, and that they'd have no qualms about cutting him if those things were true. So I don't think it's likely.

My worry has more to do with Vogel seeing him as a third PG. I'd feel a lot better about Stephenson playing the 2, perhaps paired with AJ in the backcourt.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Anthem For This Useful Post:

Re: Stephenson coming soon...

is someone gonna put a finger in his @zz?

(feel free to delete if over the line...i have a feeling it might be--thanks)

13. The Following User Says Thank You to dal9 For This Useful Post:

I feel better about him at the 1 than the 2, but really his game is going to have to be the same no matter where you put him, so it just depends on where he's best suited defensively. Regardless, if you're going to play this guy, you need to give him the ball.

Let play he can play it whouldnt hurt just dont over do it
    Go Pacers make the playoffs!!!2011:

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by troyc11a View Post
    Really, why should I be excited to see player who was drafted in the 2nd round and not good enough to get on the court for an 18-27 team? If he was any good at all he would have already found his way on the court. "Born Ready" might never be ready!
    Yep I remember when I heard the same BS from few people last year and the year before that one about Josh.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    While it's true that he could, it doesn't seem very likely. The top brass has said that the true story is very different than what got leaked to the media, and that they'd have no qualms about cutting him if those things were true. So I don't think it's likely.

My worry has more to do with Vogel seeing him as a third PG. I'd feel a lot better about Stephenson playing the 2, perhaps paired with AJ in the backcourt.
    How would the top brass know the true story? They know Lance's story. And we know the girl, her friends and her father's story.

The girl could have changed her mind and decided she doesn't want to go along with the charges, which will make things more difficult for the state. But that still doesn't mean anyone, other than those who were there, knows the real story.

Anyway, I agree though, if we play him, he'd be best next to Price. AJ can play without the ball, and provides an outside threat. He can also direct traffic and such without the ball, and we can give Lance the ball. Dun and Rush are other possibilities, but Rush isn't going to be good at running an offense without the ball (or with it) and pairing Dun and Lance up defensively...It'd also be better to have another ball handler out there with him. Lance played his best in preseason when he was with Price.
    Last edited by Sookie; 02-03-2011 at 12:46 PM.

Also, it would be very easy to cut the cord with this guy, but they have not done so. That highly suggests to me that 1) They don't think he did what the media alleged he did and 2) He really is quite talented and capable of showing it at this level.

I think if they believed he couldn't make it in the league after getting an extended close look at him since June through today, I think they'd have just cut ties with him at the first sign of trouble.

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Sookie View Post
    But that still doesn't mean anyone, other than those who were there, knows the real story.
    Which applies to what the media reported, too.

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Evan_The_Dude View Post
    I feel sorry for Ford.
    Don't be *too* sorry... he is making 8 million dollars to sit on the bench.

How would the top brass know the true story? They know Lance's story. And we know the girl, her friends and her father's story.

The girl could have changed her mind and decided she doesn't want to go along with the charges, which will make things more difficult for the state. But that still doesn't mean anyone, other than those who were there, knows the real story.
    They have much more resources than us, plus a vested interest in the outcome, either way it goes. If it turns out that version we heard is true, then I think they would have severed ties with him. My belief is that in their investigations (lawyers, other people close to the situation, etc.) they have uncovered sufficient enough evidence that they think the situation played a different way, and are more or less standing by him.

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    Also, it would be very easy to cut the cord with this guy, but they have not done so. That highly suggests to me that 1) They don't think he did what the media alleged he did and 2) He really is quite talented and capable of showing it at this level.

I think if they believed he couldn't make it in the league after getting an extended close look at him since June through today, I think they'd have just cut ties with him at the first sign of trouble.
    I think Larry Bird really likes him, and had his mind set about him for a long time.

Bird is stubborn, we kept O'brien for 3+ years. I don't think keeping Lance until his court appearance means anything. And I really don't know how much information the New York criminal justice system is going to give the Pacers.

It's totally possible that they got in a verbal fight and he pushed her, and she fell..as in that wasn't his intention. But..with these types of cases, and Lance's history with women, the percentages would suggest what was reported was what happened. Granted, look at me with those statistics..being all Jimmy like. :P
    Last edited by Sookie; 02-03-2011 at 12:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post

I agree 100%. I'm pretty high on AJ as the backup PG and would rather see Lance in the wing rotation than rotting as a 3rd stringer. AJ is somewhat an off guard anyways, so the two would likely work well together when you take into account Lance's passing strengths.

Going this route would likely require Rush to be traded. I've always been high on Rush but would be ok with it if it got us a big man and Lance reached his potential.

While I am open to trading Danny, if we keep him, I would like to see the following core 8 man rotation. The ideal missing big can play the 4 or slide to the 5 so Hans can get 25 min per night.

DC/AJ
    PG/Lance
    DG/Lance
    ???/Hans
    Roy/Hans

As for Lance actually playing, I really think it would behoove all parties involved if we stopped pretending this guy was a point guard, because he's not. If he's going to play, give him the 10-12 worthless minutes that Dahntay Jones has been playing. Let him play with Price. AJ doesn't have to have the ball to be effective, and they could share some of the ballhandling load. Dahntay isn't giving us much of anything out there, and I'm a little unsure why there seems to be a contingent around here that likes him.

I think Larry Bird really likes him, and had his mind set about him for a long time.

Bird is stubborn, we kept O'brien for 3+ years. I don't think keeping Lance until his court appearance means anything.
    Keeping Obie that long was almost strictly financial imo.

29. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:

I want to see him play.

However, I just keep feeling like, he will be a guy who can't keep himself clean (hookers in a hotel within 6 months of felony charges, come on man).

Even if he does act PERFECT the next 2.5 years, I don't know I would ever trust him with a bigger or longer term contract. How can you?

I'd love to inflate his value and move him ASAP. Even if he turned into an Allstar, I'd never fault that strategy.

31. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Speed For This Useful Post:

Chairman of the Boards 90'sNBARocked's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Speed View Post
    I want to see him play.

However, I just keep feeling like, he will be a guy who can't keep himself clean (hookers in a hotel within 6 months of felony charges, come on man).

Even if he does act PERFECT the next 2.5 years, I don't know I would ever trust him with a bigger or longer term contract. How can you?

I'd love to inflate his value and move him ASAP. Even if he turned into an Allstar, I'd never fault that strategy.
    What is "oh my God material" and taboo in Indiana

Is normal in NYC

My concern will be if he is given time and does produce well, will his head become enormous?
    Sittin on top of the world!

Quote Originally Posted by 90'sNBARocked View Post
    What is "oh my God material" and taboo in Indiana

Is normal in NYC

My concern will be if he is given time and does produce well, will his head become enormous?
    Eliot Spitzer

Quote Originally Posted by 90'sNBARocked View Post
    That is a great question. Methinks the answer is a resounding, "yes".