Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Let's do post-game threads again.. Pacers win!

crazy shinaniganz BringJackBack's Avatar

Default Let's do post-game threads again.. Pacers win!

Sorry I was late.. Couldn't get on PD for some reason.

I'm going to start up post-game threads again because the games may actually start serving a purpose again.

Our player of the game:
    Darren Collison
    He was the man- 22 and 9

Their player of the game:
    Dick Bavetta
    I hate this guy

Sloppy game, but our young guys closed out the game well and DC is the man. A couple things though:

-We really need to work on our defense. We're a step late on ev-er-y-thing.

-Danny Granger needs to start playing better. He had a great fourth quarter, but the first three quarters were just bad. He had a great, great, great fourth quarter though.

-PG is the man.

-We need to stop fouling (Of course Bavetta is a Cavs fan soo...)

-I'm happy we won; This was a tough game. I know that it's the Cavs, but they were VERY hungry tonight.

-Last thing: I loved that closing 1/3 PnP from DC to Danny Granger at the end of the game. Amazing play. I've been waiting to see Danny shoot a shot created from someone else all season long. Vogel continues to impress me.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BringJackBack For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Let's do post-game threads again.. Pacers win!

All I can say is how disappointed I am with the referees. They really sucked it up tonight.
    Passion, Pride, Playoffs, Pacers

Some love for DC, he added 4 rebounds and 4 steals to the points and assists already mentioned. He played a great offensive game.

But he needs to learn how to defend better the pick and roll. Every team now starts with that screen up top, and he often is left trailing, gotta improve that even if him being so small sure doesn't help.

Pacers defense was really bad tonight one of our worst defensive gams of the season. Stupid fouls, unable to contain the ball, easily beat off the dribble, poor close outs.

Pacers defense has fallen apart, now it started before JOB was fired, but it has really slipped. No where near what it was for the first two months of the season. Keep in mind the pacers won the first three games against the Cavs rather easily.

JOB would have played Jeff and Posey the last 6 minutes of the game and I think that would have helpd the pacers defense. But Roy and Josh have to leran, but Roy was taken advantage of defensively for most of the game.

Pacers were called for a lot of fouls because they fouled a lot.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:

Banned

Just like I said in the game thread, guys need to calm down when the young guys are making mistakes and no playing the right way, remember that the previous coach was teaching them how to play bad basketball and is going to take a while to remove that from the guys.

Side note: Philly and Charlotte won, but Milwaukee is getting clobbered in Phoenix without Bogut.

May say we struggled to beat the Cavs but this is a good win. A team at home that has lost that many in a row is hungry and will come after you. Agree about the defense. We need to get back to playing defense like we were in November. Team still hasn't totally adjusted to the Hibbert strategy yet and the new wrinkles are creating some turnovers right now. Everybody has more of a green light now but I think they have gotten a little careless with the ball. It will come around. All in all a win and we will take it.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to presto123 For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Only complaint from Paul is that he has a hard time with offball defending. Seemed like parker had an easy time getting open and when he did get the ball, PG has a tendency to overcompensate and get burned

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Just like I said in the game thread, guys need to calm down when the young guys are making mistakes and no playing the right way, remember that the previous coach was teaching them how to play bad basketball and is going to take a while to remove that from the guys.
    so JOB he was teaching them to get beat of the dribble, close out poorly, be in the wrong position defensively, and foul way too much?
    Last edited by Unclebuck; 02-02-2011 at 11:20 PM.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:

Why do Philly and Charlotte continue to win?

I'm just concerned with the defense. I don't quite understand whats going on with it as UB is right, the bad defense started when JOB was still coaching. They seemed undisciplined on that end now. I don't know if its just lack of effort or what. Whatever it is, they need to fix it.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ilive4sports For This Useful Post:

Whew.. Pacers won the game, that's all that matters at the end of the night. They still have a lot of things to work on, but I feel this is a game the Pacers would have found a way to lose in the past.

They started off really well in the 1st quarter, but as expected, once the Cavs got confidence, they fought hard. Hit 3's, hit their free throws and made the Pacers work.

The Pacers need a practice where all they do is run the pick & roll, and defend the pick & roll.

Banned

I could also say that this team reminds me a bit of the LA Clippers in the beggining of the year, they were making stupid mistakes, a lot of TO's and fouling a lot, but after 40+ games they are looking as good as any other team in the NBA, too bad it took this long for our young players to start getting some significant playing time.

I also want to point out that Darren Collison is making a lot of plays for others. We just need some more talent at PF and SG to turn those into more assists and wins. DC was very, very good tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by ilive4sports View Post
    I'm just concerned with the defense. I don't quite understand whats going on with it as UB is right, the bad defense started when JOB was still coaching. They seemed undisciplined on that end now. I don't know if its just lack of effort or what. Whatever it is, they need to fix it.
    I know most people thought JOB went with a small lineup to "stretch the floor" and shoot a lot of threes, but really JOB went small to help the defense as much as the offense.

In general the defense needs 4 or 5 days of practice. When there are a lot of games in a short period of time the defense is what suffers
    Last edited by Unclebuck; 02-02-2011 at 11:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BringJackBack View Post
    Why do Philly and Charlotte continue to win?
    Because they play teams like Detroit and New Jersey (who we also beat)

Come to think of it, have we played the Pistons even once yet this year? It's over halfway through the season, and we haven't played 1 out of 4 yet?

I didn't think anyone played particularly well, nor did anyone play horrid.

Defense really has to improve, I'm guessing we'll have to wait for Rush to return for that. But until then, Danny can pick it up.

Dahntay..I like Dahntay..he drove me nuts this game. That might have been one of JOB's better decisions.

Turnovers need to decrease. Once again, that's on Danny. He's our SF and best player. Collison can be turnover prone at times, but he's our second year point guard..and he's controlling the ball most of the time..that's allowed on occassion.

And the offense needs to get better. That's probably not going to come until practice.

Overall, good rotation again. I understood why he played Dun instead of PG. Dun was playing well and it was an away game. It was also a time where you go with the guys that are used to closing some..despite his calm demeanor, Vogel didn't want to lose to the Cavs. :P

And finally, I think we struggled tonight, primarily because neither of our PFs played particularly well. They were probably the worst two players (and even they picked it up in the second half), and that hurt. I think most of the time, one of them will play well and it won't be a problem.

Also, the refs were just awful. I won't go on a rant there, but they were bad..
    Last edited by Sookie; 02-02-2011 at 11:28 PM.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    so JOB he was teaching them to get beat of the dribble, close out poorly, be in the wrong position defensively, and foul way too much?
    I'm talking about the young guys, they never got to play that many minutes together and like you said the defense was sucking before the new coach when Jim was still playing TJ,Posey and Foster big minutes.

Dick Bavetta
    I hate this guy
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

25. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Kegboy For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    I know most people thought JOB went with a small lineup to "stretch the floor" and shoot a lot of threes, but really JOB went small to help the defense as much as the offense.

In general the defense needs 4 or 5 days of practice. When there are a lot of games in a short period of time the defense is what suhhers
    ...and that reasoning is why we lost most of the time. A lot. Job was a good coach, but a horrible game and player manager. His rotations and his over-thinking was his doom.

27. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Noodle For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

I also want to point out that Darren Collison is making a lot of plays for others. We just need some more talent at PF and SG to turn those into more assists and wins. DC was very, very good tonight.
    how much do you think rush will help with all this. i am hoping he plays up to the potential he has with a new coach? maybe Rush finally steps up and plays solid on both ends of the court.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Do we have to talk about JOB at all? I guess it's too soon to expect otherwise but boy am I tired of it.

I'm glad we are able to pull out the win. The defense was terri-bad, we need to get back to basics there. Danny didn't have a good game but I don't think he was as bad as all the "trade him!" calls in the game thread would leave one to believe.
    "Freedom is nothing else but a chance to be better." - Albert Camus

"Appreciation is a wonderful thing. It makes what is excellent in others belong to us as well." - Voltaire

"Everyone's values are defined by what they will tolerate when it is done to others." - William Greider

30. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gummy For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by PacersPride View Post
    how much do you think rush will help with all this. i am hoping he plays up to the potential he has with a new coach? maybe Rush finally steps up and plays solid on both ends of the court.
    I'm hoping, but I think a good SG (Iggy, Martin etc.. But I don't want this to turn into a trade discussion thread) would help out a lot more than Rush/Dun ever could. We just need someone that can create their own shot BADLY.

At this point Rush is just a defender and a three point shooter.

32. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BringJackBack For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Sookie View Post
    Dahntay..I like Dahntay..he drove me nuts this game. That might have been one of JOB's better decisions.
    DJ is a solid role player off the bench. He has been inactive for most of the season, you are aware players need a few games back to get in game conditioning.

once D Jones is getting some rhythem it will be time for Rush to return..

Jones is a solid veteran presence to have around.

Quote Originally Posted by gummy View Post
    Do we have to talk about JOB at all? I guess it's too soon to expect otherwise but boy am I tired of it.

I think it is instructive to discuss the differences and some of the advantages and of the different approaches