Thread: Howard Mudd comes out of retirement to coach the Eagles O-Line

Default Howard Mudd comes out of retirement to coach the Eagles O-Line

http://www.philadelphiaeagles.com/ne...story_id=23344

In Mudd, Eagles Score Another Coaching Coup

February 2, 2011 | Last Updated: 2/2/11 4:35 PM ET | Comments (1)

First, a year ago, the Eagles brought in Bobby April to run the special teams. Then, a few weeks ago, Andy Reid and co. imported Jim Washburn to take over the defensive line. Now, after Juan Castillo's promotion to defensive coordinator, the Eagles have once again brought onto their staff perhaps the most respected coach in his respective specialty. Howard Mudd, long revered as one of the best offensive line coaches in the league, is the Eagles new offensive line coach.

Mudd retired following last season's Super Bowl after serving as the offensive line coach for the Indianapolis Colts for 12 years, the longest tenure of any assistant coach at the time. Mudd's year off in 2010 was his first in 37 years after he began his coaching career with the San Diego Chargers in 1974. During Mudd's tenure in Indianapolis, the Colts allowed a league-low 227 sacks - second place (Tennessee Titans) was 337.

"He definitely brings some flavor .. and he's a special guy, though very talented," said Colts offensive lineman Ryan Diem last year. "Very smart and has clearly got the experience to probably be the best offensive line coach this league has seen."

"He demands excellence and efficiency on the offensive line," said Colts Pro Bowl center Jeff Saturday. "There is no give in him and I have a lot of respect for that."

In his illustrious career on the sidelines, Mudd has coached for, in addition to the Colts and Chargers, the San Francisco 49ers, the Seattle Seahawks, the Cleveland Browns, and the Kansas City Chiefs. He was also a decorated player in his time, making three consecutive Pro Bowls from 1966-1968 before retiring with a knee injury in 1971.

Mudd inherits an offensive line that sports a Pro Bowl left tackle in Jason Peters and a Pro Bowl alternate left guard in Todd Herremans. At center, Mike McGlynn earned valuable experience as the starter in 2010 and longtime stalwart Jamaal Jackson is on his way back from an early-season tricep tear. At right tackle, the Eagles have Winston Justice and a valuable swing tackle in King Dunlap. Max Jean-Gilles and Nick Cole, the two players who held down the right guard position in 2010, are both scheduled to be free agents.

It will be a reunion of sorts for Mudd and Washburn, who, as profiled by NFL films, are long-time friends.

Default Re: Howard Mudd comes out of retirement to coach the Eagles O-Line

I wish he was coming back to coach the Colts o-line.

Quote Originally Posted by Young View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I wish he was coming back to coach the Colts o-line.

Yeah that's not going to happen with Polian/Caldwell here apparently Mudd clashed with them that is if you believe Phil Wilson.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I always love how when reporters talk about Mudd and mention the league low sack total during his time here, they always act like it is all due to his coaching and nothing to do with the fact that Peyton gets rid of the ball in about .000000003 seconds.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to travmil For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by travmil View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I always love how when reporters talk about Mudd and mention the league low sack total during his time here, they always act like it is all due to his coaching and nothing to do with the fact that Peyton gets rid of the ball in about .000000003 seconds.

Yeah stats can be easily manipulated I read that the Colts were considered to have the best O-Line because Manning had the lowest amount of sacks never mind that he has a quick release.

woman without a team

I'm all for Mudd coming back if he can bring Tarik Glenn with him.

http://www.csnphilly.com/02/08/11/Co...643&feedID=704

Colts' Saturday knows Mudd will improve Birds' O-line
    Recommend Comment(3) Email Print Share Facebook RSS

Howard Mudd coached the Colts' offensive line for 12 years before retiring after the 2009 season. (AP)NFL: 10 Guys Who Could Possibly Replace Andy Reid in Philadelphia

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Philadelphia Eagles: An In-Depth Look at Howard Mudd

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Michael Vick Has Confrontation With Dog Owner: Has He Learned His Lesson?

Michael Vick: Is His Confrontation with Dallas Dog Owner Just the Beginning?

Tuesday, February 8, 2011
    Posted: 10:15 p.m.

By Reuben Frank
    CSNPhilly.com

“How many sacks did the Eagles give up last year?” Jeff Saturday asked Howard Mudd on the phone a few days after Mudd accepted Andy Reid’s offer to coach the Eagles’ offensive linemen.

“About 50,” Mudd replied.

Saturday cracked up.

“I just started laughing,” the five-time Pro Bowl center said. “Because the year before Howard came to the Colts, it was a couple years before I got here, we gave up like 60 sacks (actually 62). And then his first year in Indianapolis, we gave up about 20 (22). I fully expect the same thing to happen with the Eagles this year.

“He’ll make an immediate impact on that line. He specializes in solving problems. That’s what he likes to do. Face a challenge and find a way to solve it. I guarantee you one thing – the Eagles won’t give 50 sacks next year.”

Saturday spent 12 years with Mudd, which means he’s spent more time with the legendary 68-year-old offensive line fixer-upper than anybody Mudd has ever coached.

Working under Mudd, Saturday went from an undrafted street free agent who couldn’t even get into a training camp his first year out of North Carolina to a perennial Pro Bowl offensive lineman and two-time first-team All-Pro. In Colts franchise history, only six players – including Johnny Unitas, Peyton Manning and Marvin Harrison – have been picked to more Pro Bowls.

Ask Saturday how it happened and he’ll tell you it was all Howard Mudd.

“After I got cut by the Ravens (in the spring of 1998), I went to work for an electrical supply company down in Raleigh, N.C.,” he said by phone from Indianapolis, which he’s made his year-round home.

“I was out of the league that first year and nobody even gave me a chance to play. The Colts signed me that January (of 1999), and when Howard first met me, I don’t think he even realized I was an offensive lineman. He thought I was a long snapper. I was just a guy off the street. But once we got out on the practice field, it didn’t matter. He treated me like a first-round draft pick. His thing is that if you put in the work, he doesn’t care if you’re a rookie or veteran, a first-round pick or an undrafted guy. Everybody’s equal to him.”

Mudd was a pretty good player himself during an NFL career cut short by a neck injury.

He went to three Pro Bowls in seven seasons as an offensive lineman with the 49ers and Bears before getting into coaching. Mudd spent a couple years coaching at Cal before starting his remarkable 36-year NFL coaching career in 1974 on Tommy Prothro’s Chargers staff.

After stints with the 49ers, Seahawks, Browns and Chiefs, Mudd joined Jim Mora Sr. in Indianapolis in 1998 and stayed there for 12 years before retiring after the 2009 season. During Mudd’s 12 years in Indianapolis, the Colts averaged 11 wins, went to the playoffs 10 times, won a Super Bowl and went to another, and were ranked in the top three in the NFL in scoring eight times.

Earlier this month, Reid lured Mudd out of retirement and named him offensive line coach, replacing Juan Castillo – who he promoted to defensive coordinator.

“Honestly? I wasn’t surprised when he told me he was going back to coaching,” Saturday said. “Football is one of the most addictive things there is. Man, it doesn’t get any better than going out there on a Sunday afternoon with a group of men and fighting for a single goal and knowing how important it is for you to take care of your small responsibility. It’s ingrained in us and it’s what we love to do.

“So I think when Andy called him, you know, he just saw it as a great opportunity. He and coach (Jim) Washburn (new Eagles’ defensive line coach) are good friends and have known each other a long time, and that definitely helped. And he has a great relationship with Andy Reid. And he loves a new challenge. So it all made for a perfect scenario for him to come back.

“He’s 68, but he’ll go in 100 percent. He doesn’t do anything halfway. That’s not the way he does things.”

Mudd takes over an Eagles line that last year allowed more sacks than any Eagles team had given up in 12 years. The Eagles ranked 29th in the NFL in sacks allowed and had serious issues protecting Michael Vick the second half of the season and in the playoffs.

The Colts, conversely, allowed 227 sacks in Mudd’s 12 seasons – that’s fewer than 20 per year during than span. No other team was within 100 of that from 1998 through 2009 – the Titans allowed the second-fewest (337) during those 12 seasons, and the Eagles gave up 487 – more than twice as many as the Colts.

“Howard is very demanding and will coach you very hard,” Saturday said. “He’ll be disappointed with anybody that doesn’t play up to their potential. He won’t hesitate to bench anybody – whether it’s a high draft pick, whoever – if he feels like he isn’t playing the way he’s capable of. He’ll give everybody a chance and play the best five guys, whether or not they were a starter the year before or a Pro Bowl guy.”

Saturday made his first Pro Bowl team in 2005 – his seventh NFL season – but he said Mudd didn’t let up on him even though he was now a Pro Bowl center.

If anything, he was even harder on Saturday.

“I remember coming back from the Pro Bowl and you’re feeling pretty good about it, and he was like, ‘OK, you need to work on blocking back on the trap, let’s get to work,’ and stuff like that,” he said. “His attention to detail is unbelievable. He knows exactly what every guy needs to work on, and he’s constantly finding something you can be better at. He’s always on you to become a better player, no matter how many Pro Bowls you’ve been to. I like that style.

“He’ll cuss you like a dog and make you feel small, but he’ll find a way to make you a better player than you even thought you could be, and when you do well, he’ll be right there celebrating with you because you got to the level he always knew you could get to.”

The Eagles do have the makings of a decent offensive line, although the right side certainly needs to be reworked.

Left tackle Jason Peters played very well after getting his knee scoped midway through the season and was selected to his second straight Pro Bowl team. Left guard Todd Herremans had another strong year. If Jamaal Jackson can return at center after his latest injury – and he says he’ll be 100 percent by minicamps (if there are minicamps) – he can return to center and Mike McGlynn can move from center to right guard. Plug in a first-round pick at right tackle – Gabe Carimi of Wisconsin or perhaps Derek Sherrod of Mississippi State – and Mudd will have a nice group to work with.

“One thing I’ll tell you about Howard’s practices – everybody in the stadium and anywhere near the field will hear Howard Mudd,” Saturday said. “His voice is distinctive, and there’s going to be some profanity. He’ll be driving his guys every minute to be the best they can be. One thing he can’t tolerate is a guy who’s not putting in the time or the effort.

“I know my career would never have been anything like the way it’s been if it hadn’t been for him. He’ll work ‘em hard, and rest assured, the Eagles will have a better offensive line next year because of Howard.”