Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: If Vogel "sticks with/plays the young guys". What does that phrase mean to you

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: If Vogel "sticks with/plays the young guys". What does that phrase mean to you

Originally Posted by Sookie
    Would you trade Granger for Dun/Rush? Because I think Iggy is just as good as Granger.

The question is whether we need that #1 for a PF or not. But I think Dun/Rush and a #1 is very fair for Iggy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    He's not as good. Close, but not as good.

But the club situations are totally different. If Philly decides to sell, I doubt the market price is much more than that. Who's going to give more than an expiring and a young prospect?
    I think just as important as comparing their skills as players, you must also compare their value to the team and its roster. I believe having Granger to man the SF is far, far more important to the Pacers than having Igoudala man the SG. Why? Because we have players like George who are already capable of manning the SG slot and that still have upside.

For that reason, I think Igoudala is a nice to have, even a very nice to have player because of his defensive abilities, but only on our terms. I would not sacrifice a 1st round pick for him... at least not without resolving the PF need first.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to beast23 For This Useful Post:

crazy shinaniganz BringJackBack's Avatar

Default Re: If Vogel "sticks with/plays the young guys". What does that phrase mean to you

Quote Originally Posted by beast23 View Post
    I think just as important as comparing their skills as players, you must also compare their value to the team and its roster. I believe having Granger to man the SF is far, far more important to the Pacers than having Igoudala man the SG. Why? Because we have players like George who are already capable of manning the SG slot and that still have upside.

For that reason, I think Igoudala is a nice to have, even a very nice to have player because of his defensive abilities, but only on our terms. I would not sacrifice a 1st round pick for him... at least not without resolving the PF need first.
    I wish that I could thank this 179798 times. My stance on Iggy has changed, and that first should probably be used on a PF.. Not saying that I wouldn't trade Dun/Rush/Lance for Iggy though at all even at the risk of taking on all of that salary.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Speed View Post
    Young guys to me are...
    Brandon: I'd take a harder line approach with his minutes, when he's disappearing, let him not play. However, give him a shot every night, to see which BRush you are getting. This could work to 5-6 mins if he's not the BRush. I think we've seen enough of the passiveness to make this adjustment.

...You're main minutes for youngster should be this.

Roy 24 - 30

DC 32

Paul George 26-30 (which Obie was doing at the very end)

Hansbrough/Jmac - 24/24 with slight variances on who's hot.

Brandon - 5 to 20

AJ - 10 to 20

Lance - 10 to 20, but only when the match ups allow.

Look, you just have to live with the bonehead stuff to get to the good stuff.

The very biggest problem for Vogel to me, is who closes and how they do it.

I really don't know the answer to this one. I'm not sure they have the answer on the bench.

If I had to say.

To close.

Collison
    Dunleavy
    Danny
    Jeff
    Tyler or Josh

I really don't want Dunleavy in that spot, I'd rather have George. I think it's good training for him for the future. I'm just not convinced he's ready to finish.

If you really want honesty, TJ is your best closer, as much as I don't want it to be true. You can't play DC and TJ together though and you need DC to develop into that guy. You're best play to end a game is TJ taking his guy off the dribble, it just is, I don't like it either.

It's a conundrum.

I think Solo and Posey are the odd men out. Solo has played well for him, it's just not in the cards for me.
    I don't think I've read a post by anyone that so closely aligns with my thoughts. I'm also not certain how I feel about the Dunleavy - George quandry; I like both players a lot.

As for Brandon, I have the following suggestion. Treat him like a football player. Instead of sending him into the tunnel to ride a stationary bike to prepare him for his insertion into the game, send him into the tunnel to meet up with Larry Bird, whereupon he will be summarily b-i-t-c-h slapped to acclimate him to the aggression that we need to see in his time on the court.