Announcement

Collapse

The Rules of Pacers Digest

Hello everyone,

Whether your are a long standing forum member or whether you have just registered today, it's a good idea to read and review the rules below so that you have a very good idea of what to expect when you come to Pacers Digest.

A quick note to new members: Your posts will not immediately show up when you make them. An administrator has to approve at least your first post before the forum software will later upgrade your account to the status of a fully-registered member. This usually happens within a couple of hours or so after your post(s) is/are approved, so you may need to be a little patient at first.

Why do we do this? So that it's more difficult for spammers (be they human or robot) to post, and so users who are banned cannot immediately re-register and start dousing people with verbal flames.

Below are the rules of Pacers Digest. After you have read them, you will have a very good sense of where we are coming from, what we expect, what we don't want to see, and how we react to things.

Rule #1

Pacers Digest is intended to be a place to discuss basketball without having to deal with the kinds of behaviors or attitudes that distract people from sticking with the discussion of the topics at hand. These unwanted distractions can come in many forms, and admittedly it can sometimes be tricky to pin down each and every kind that can rear its ugly head, but we feel that the following examples and explanations cover at least a good portion of that ground and should at least give people a pretty good idea of the kinds of things we actively discourage:

"Anyone who __________ is a liar / a fool / an idiot / a blind homer / has their head buried in the sand / a blind hater / doesn't know basketball / doesn't watch the games"

"People with intelligence will agree with me when I say that __________"

"Only stupid people think / believe / do ___________"

"I can't wait to hear something from PosterX when he/she sees that **insert a given incident or current event that will have probably upset or disappointed PosterX here**"

"He/she is just delusional"

"This thread is stupid / worthless / embarrassing"

"I'm going to take a moment to point and / laugh at PosterX / GroupOfPeopleY who thought / believed *insert though/belief here*"

"Remember when PosterX said OldCommentY that no longer looks good? "

In general, if a comment goes from purely on topic to something 'ad hominem' (personal jabs, personal shots, attacks, flames, however you want to call it, towards a person, or a group of people, or a given city/state/country of people), those are most likely going to be found intolerable.

We also dissuade passive aggressive behavior. This can be various things, but common examples include statements that are basically meant to imply someone is either stupid or otherwise incapable of holding a rational conversation. This can include (but is not limited to) laughing at someone's conclusions rather than offering an honest rebuttal, asking people what game they were watching, or another common problem is Poster X will say "that player isn't that bad" and then Poster Y will say something akin to "LOL you think that player is good". We're not going to tolerate those kinds of comments out of respect for the community at large and for the sake of trying to just have an honest conversation.

Now, does the above cover absolutely every single kind of distraction that is unwanted? Probably not, but you should by now have a good idea of the general types of things we will be discouraging. The above examples are meant to give you a good feel for / idea of what we're looking for. If something new or different than the above happens to come along and results in the same problem (that being, any other attitude or behavior that ultimately distracts from actually just discussing the topic at hand, or that is otherwise disrespectful to other posters), we can and we will take action to curb this as well, so please don't take this to mean that if you managed to technically avoid saying something exactly like one of the above examples that you are then somehow off the hook.

That all having been said, our goal is to do so in a generally kind and respectful way, and that doesn't mean the moment we see something we don't like that somebody is going to be suspended or banned, either. It just means that at the very least we will probably say something about it, quite possibly snipping out the distracting parts of the post in question while leaving alone the parts that are actually just discussing the topics, and in the event of a repeating or excessive problem, then we will start issuing infractions to try to further discourage further repeat problems, and if it just never seems to improve, then finally suspensions or bans will come into play. We would prefer it never went that far, and most of the time for most of our posters, it won't ever have to.

A slip up every once and a while is pretty normal, but, again, when it becomes repetitive or excessive, something will be done. Something occasional is probably going to be let go (within reason), but when it starts to become habitual or otherwise a pattern, odds are very good that we will step in.

There's always a small minority that like to push people's buttons and/or test their own boundaries with regards to the administrators, and in the case of someone acting like that, please be aware that this is not a court of law, but a private website run by people who are simply trying to do the right thing as they see it. If we feel that you are a special case that needs to be dealt with in an exceptional way because your behavior isn't explicitly mirroring one of our above examples of what we generally discourage, we can and we will take atypical action to prevent this from continuing if you are not cooperative with us.

Also please be aware that you will not be given a pass simply by claiming that you were 'only joking,' because quite honestly, when someone really is just joking, for one thing most people tend to pick up on the joke, including the person or group that is the target of the joke, and for another thing, in the event where an honest joke gets taken seriously and it upsets or angers someone, the person who is truly 'only joking' will quite commonly go out of his / her way to apologize and will try to mend fences. People who are dishonest about their statements being 'jokes' do not do so, and in turn that becomes a clear sign of what is really going on. It's nothing new.

In any case, quite frankly, the overall quality and health of the entire forum's community is more important than any one troublesome user will ever be, regardless of exactly how a problem is exhibiting itself, and if it comes down to us having to make a choice between you versus the greater health and happiness of the entire community, the community of this forum will win every time.

Lastly, there are also some posters, who are generally great contributors and do not otherwise cause any problems, who sometimes feel it's their place to provoke or to otherwise 'mess with' that small minority of people described in the last paragraph, and while we possibly might understand why you might feel you WANT to do something like that, the truth is we can't actually tolerate that kind of behavior from you any more than we can tolerate the behavior from them. So if we feel that you are trying to provoke those other posters into doing or saying something that will get themselves into trouble, then we will start to view you as a problem as well, because of the same reason as before: The overall health of the forum comes first, and trying to stir the pot with someone like that doesn't help, it just makes it worse. Some will simply disagree with this philosophy, but if so, then so be it because ultimately we have to do what we think is best so long as it's up to us.

If you see a problem that we haven't addressed, the best and most appropriate course for a forum member to take here is to look over to the left of the post in question. See underneath that poster's name, avatar, and other info, down where there's a little triangle with an exclamation point (!) in it? Click that. That allows you to report the post to the admins so we can definitely notice it and give it a look to see what we feel we should do about it. Beyond that, obviously it's human nature sometimes to want to speak up to the poster in question who has bothered you, but we would ask that you try to refrain from doing so because quite often what happens is two or more posters all start going back and forth about the original offending post, and suddenly the entire thread is off topic or otherwise derailed. So while the urge to police it yourself is understandable, it's best to just report it to us and let us handle it. Thank you!

All of the above is going to be subject to a case by case basis, but generally and broadly speaking, this should give everyone a pretty good idea of how things will typically / most often be handled.

Rule #2

If the actions of an administrator inspire you to make a comment, criticism, or express a concern about it, there is a wrong place and a couple of right places to do so.

The wrong place is to do so in the original thread in which the administrator took action. For example, if a post gets an infraction, or a post gets deleted, or a comment within a larger post gets clipped out, in a thread discussing Paul George, the wrong thing to do is to distract from the discussion of Paul George by adding your off topic thoughts on what the administrator did.

The right places to do so are:

A) Start a thread about the specific incident you want to talk about on the Feedback board. This way you are able to express yourself in an area that doesn't throw another thread off topic, and this way others can add their two cents as well if they wish, and additionally if there's something that needs to be said by the administrators, that is where they will respond to it.

B) Send a private message to the administrators, and they can respond to you that way.

If this is done the wrong way, those comments will be deleted, and if it's a repeating problem then it may also receive an infraction as well.

Rule #3

If a poster is bothering you, and an administrator has not or will not deal with that poster to the extent that you would prefer, you have a powerful tool at your disposal, one that has recently been upgraded and is now better than ever: The ability to ignore a user.

When you ignore a user, you will unfortunately still see some hints of their existence (nothing we can do about that), however, it does the following key things:

A) Any post they make will be completely invisible as you scroll through a thread.

B) The new addition to this feature: If someone QUOTES a user you are ignoring, you do not have to read who it was, or what that poster said, unless you go out of your way to click on a link to find out who it is and what they said.

To utilize this feature, from any page on Pacers Digest, scroll to the top of the page, look to the top right where it says 'Settings' and click that. From the settings page, look to the left side of the page where it says 'My Settings', and look down from there until you see 'Edit Ignore List' and click that. From here, it will say 'Add a Member to Your List...' Beneath that, click in the text box to the right of 'User Name', type in or copy & paste the username of the poster you are ignoring, and once their name is in the box, look over to the far right and click the 'Okay' button. All done!

Rule #4

Regarding infractions, currently they carry a value of one point each, and that point will expire in 31 days. If at any point a poster is carrying three points at the same time, that poster will be suspended until the oldest of the three points expires.

Rule #5

When you share or paste content or articles from another website, you must include the URL/link back to where you found it, who wrote it, and what website it's from. Said content will be removed if this doesn't happen.

An example:

If I copy and paste an article from the Indianapolis Star website, I would post something like this:

http://www.linktothearticlegoeshere.com/article
Title of the Article
Author's Name
Indianapolis Star

Rule #6

We cannot tolerate illegal videos on Pacers Digest. This means do not share any links to them, do not mention any websites that host them or link to them, do not describe how to find them in any way, and do not ask about them. Posts doing anything of the sort will be removed, the offenders will be contacted privately, and if the problem becomes habitual, you will be suspended, and if it still persists, you will probably be banned.

The legal means of watching or listening to NBA games are NBA League Pass Broadband (for US, or for International; both cost money) and NBA Audio League Pass (which is free). Look for them on NBA.com.

Rule #7

Provocative statements in a signature, or as an avatar, or as the 'tagline' beneath a poster's username (where it says 'Member' or 'Administrator' by default, if it is not altered) are an unwanted distraction that will more than likely be removed on sight. There can be shades of gray to this, but in general this could be something political or religious that is likely going to provoke or upset people, or otherwise something that is mean-spirited at the expense of a poster, a group of people, or a population.

It may or may not go without saying, but this goes for threads and posts as well, particularly when it's not made on the off-topic board (Market Square).

We do make exceptions if we feel the content is both innocuous and unlikely to cause social problems on the forum (such as wishing someone a Merry Christmas or a Happy Easter), and we also also make exceptions if such topics come up with regards to a sports figure (such as the Lance Stephenson situation bringing up discussions of domestic abuse and the law, or when Jason Collins came out as gay and how that lead to some discussion about gay rights).

However, once the discussion seems to be more/mostly about the political issues instead of the sports figure or his specific situation, the thread is usually closed.

Rule #8

We prefer self-restraint and/or modesty when making jokes or off topic comments in a sports discussion thread. They can be fun, but sometimes they derail or distract from a topic, and we don't want to see that happen. If we feel it is a problem, we will either delete or move those posts from the thread.

Rule #9

Generally speaking, we try to be a "PG-13" rated board, and we don't want to see sexual content or similarly suggestive content. Vulgarity is a more muddled issue, though again we prefer things to lean more towards "PG-13" than "R". If we feel things have gone too far, we will step in.

Rule #10

We like small signatures, not big signatures. The bigger the signature, the more likely it is an annoying or distracting signature.

Rule #11

Do not advertise anything without talking about it with the administrators first. This includes advertising with your signature, with your avatar, through private messaging, and/or by making a thread or post.
See more
See less

2011 & 2012 Free Agent list (espn)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2011 & 2012 Free Agent list (espn)

Originally posted by pacer4ever View Post
    Knicks need him
    so that means we cant get him?

Comment

Originally posted by oz_pacer View Post
      so that means we cant get him?
      if you want to overpay proably we could get him. But i dont see the knicks letting him go. He is a great defender and rebounder and energy.

Comment

Originally posted by Young View Post
        I agree with this to a point. You don't have to get a player just to spend the money and say you made use of it.

There are some decent free agents though that the Pacers should go after. I mentioned Tyson Chandler before and I still hope the Pacers make a run at him. I also mentioned Shelden Williams too. Another guy I really like but doesn't get any talk is Chuck Hayes of the Rockets. He is undersized but very effective. Reggie Evans is another blue collar big man who would be a good addition.

That is the direction I want the Pacers to go in...blue collar. I was torn on guys like Jeff Green and Josh Smith but I really like the blue collar approach the Pacers have taken with Hands and Josh at the PF spot. Stick with the blue collar guys even if they don't have the big name.

Other free agents i'd love to see in Indiana include Shane Battier but I think he wants to stay in Houston.

I would like to see a veteran point guard added to. Just a third stringer to help Darren, AJ, and even Lance. The problem is you can't find the veteran point guards like you could a few years ago. I don't think wing players are a need of the Pacers. Even if (hopefully) you subtract Mike Dunleavy they still have Danny, Paul, Brandon, and Dahntay plus Lance. Signing a guy like Quinton Ross would be good enough.

I don't think the Pacers need to go after big names. Save most of the money because they have a roster full of players that can be special.
        Haha, this post and your avatar go perfectly together. What exactly is this "blue collar" nonsense you folks keep talking about? These dudes aren't tig welding for 18 bucks an hour. Which players do you consider white collar? Kyle Korver maybe? Anyway...

Man, I love this team, love watching them play, love their personalities, but I'm really not opposed to shaking up our front court a bit like an earlier poster said. We could feasibly get both Nene AND Jeff Green which would give us one of the toughest, most diverse big men rotations in the league. With Roy's attitude, I don't think he'd be opposed to taking a slightly reduced role if it meant the team being successful. Minutes would be slim, but we really need more talent.

I mean, you've also got Zach Randolf, Deandre Jordan, Tyson Chandler, Marc Gasol, David West, Carl Landry. ALL interesting and seemingly attainable.

I just don't think we can stand pat on our current bigs. Roy just seems so flimsy out there, I think he's more suited to be a heavy role player, 18-20 minutes a night. And Tyler's exciting, but I don't know, I think teams are going to figure him out. He's also more of a role player, spark off the bench type of guy in my opinion.

The guard pool isn't nearly as deep but I'd love to see Shannon Brown, Jamal Crawford, or Marcus Thornton here. I think they can all be combo guard types and fill a "6th man" role really nicely.

Just for fun:

Nene/Roy/McRob
        Green/Hans/Mcrob
        Danny/Green/Paul
        Paul/Thornton/Rush/Lance
        DC/Thornton/AJ/Lance

I'm just excited to be excited about the Pacers again really man. Nowhere to go but up now.

Comment

Free agents? You act like Bird isn't stashing this money to give the All Star from Mostar Stanko Barac a max contract in the offseason.

Comment

Green sucks. we dont want him.

Comment

Sources: Nuggets seek Nene extension - TrueHoop Blog - ESPN

Originally posted by Marc Stein
              We have our first surprise of the final 2 ½ days of trade fun that the NBA’s long-running Melo Drama did not consume:

The Denver Nuggets, according to sources close to the situation, are already pitching a contract extension to Nene.

It had been widely assumed around the league that Denver’s center would shoot to the front of the trade line as soon as a Carmelo Anthony deal finally got done … and assuming there was enough time before the deadline for the Nuggets to work on follow-up deals.

But teams that have been calling for Nene -- and I’m told that more than half the league has rung Denver in recent weeks to register interest in the Brazilian big man -- are gradually being informed that a key element of the Nuggets’ post-Melo plan is trying to convince Nene to stay.

Although his love for the city is unquestioned, Nene has the right to opt out of his contract at season’s end and is poised to walk away from the $11.6 million he’s scheduled to make in 2011-12 to become a free agent. One source briefed on the state of negotiations told ESPN.com on Monday night not to completely rule out a trade, but confirmed that A) Denver’s immediate intent now that six-plus months of Melo-induced limbo is over is to try to reach terms with Nene on an extension before the June 30 deadline and B) a trade closer to the draft is the more likely escape route for Nene if talks don’t go anywhere.

The short-term impact is that a clutch of teams that planned to be lobbing in trade bids for Nene up to Thursday’s 3 p.m. ET trade buzzer, headlined by Houston and Miami, have become increasingly resigned to the fact that he won’t be made available this week as so widely presumed.

The Nuggets, meanwhile, are confident that they can quickly acquire at least one future first-round pick for newly acquired Raymond Felton if they want to move him before this week’s deadline, but sources say there is some sentiment within the organization to wait until closer to the draft before rushing into such moves, even though Ty Lawson is already in place as Denver’s point guard of the future.

The thinking there: It might be better to wait until June, in a year when the draft is seen as very weak some four months out, to allow for more time a better handle on the value of the picks that the Nuggets are being offered.

Comment

Wow could be had for pretty much a first round draft pick. I'd take him. Price and Felton are pretty much the same kind of player though.
                You can't get champagne from a garden hose.

Comment

Originally posted by graphic-er View Post
                  Wow could be had for pretty much a first round draft pick. I'd take him. Price and Felton are pretty much the same kind of player though.
                  Except one is better at this point and also more proven. At 7 million a year I would take Felton as a starter and tell Collsion that he will have to split time and improve his defense.

Edit: We actually could have a decent shot at getting him for our first. There is not many teams that could offer a lower pick that need a pg.
                  Last edited by Gamble1; 02-22-2011, 11:03 AM.

Comment

Adrian Wojnarowski (WojYahooNBA) on Twitter

Originally posted by Adrian Wojnarowski
                    Nene wants extension in Denver - in 5 year, $50M-plus range - but sources say he's intrigued with how he'd fit into OKC. Feeling's mutual.
                    5/$50M+ for Nene. Is he worth it?

Comment

Does anyone know much about Reggie Williams?

From what I can gather:

He went undrafted in '08 coming out of Virginia Military Institute, where he led the NCAA in scoring in back-to-back years. He ended up playing in France for a year before joining the D-League, where he demolished people. He got called up by Golden State late last season where, in 24 games as a rookie, he put up an impressive 15/5/3. He's back this year, and while his minutes, he's putting up basically the same per-minute production. He's also sixth in the league in 3%, shooting .438. Oh, he's also a lefty. Everyone loves a lefty.

Anyways, he'll be a free agent in the offseason. He looks to me like a potential "super sleeper."

Comment

Originally posted by Jared Sullinger View Post

I know he destroyed Indy this season.
                        Check out my autographed 1972-73 Topps basketball project

Comment

Eric Gordon is the FA that matters most. If the Clipps sign DeAndre Jordan to a big contract, our chances should improve on Gordon.

Comment

Anybody else with me when I say this list sucks? We would finally get a whole bunch of money and then the free agents turn out to be garbanzo.

Look at the Hornets team right now, I know they are in the west, but they have a better team than the Pacers do right now. If you throw all your money at David West we basically become the Hornets but still not as good. If you keep the team we have this season and add David West next year, we might be win 38 games. Yippe!

Plus I heard David West is very intrigued by the New Jersey Nets.

Comment

Adrian Wojnarowski (WojYahooNBA) on Twitter

5/$50M+ for Nene. Is he worth it?
                              He's worth a lot more than that in my opinion.. Woah.

Comment

From what I can gather:

He went undrafted in '08 coming out of Virginia Military Institute, where he led the NCAA in scoring in back-to-back years. He ended up playing in France for a year before joining the D-League, where he demolished people. He got called up by Golden State late last season where, in 24 games as a rookie, he put up an impressive 15/5/3. He's back this year, and while his minutes, he's putting up basically the same per-minute production. He's also sixth in the league in 3%, shooting .438. Oh, he's also a lefty. Everyone loves a lefty.

Anyways, he'll be a free agent in the offseason. He looks to me like a potential "super sleeper."
                                Reggie Williams is a scorer.....but not good enough to be the type of Starting SG that I am looking for. He's a solid backup SG that can fill in as a Starter on occasion. The Pacers have the $$$ to spend, I want a "Batman" to Granger's "Robin".
                                Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

Comment

Working...
                                X