Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 2011 & 2012 Free Agent list (espn)

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default 2011 & 2012 Free Agent list (espn)

Per espn, this is a good summary of the 11 & 12 FA's available.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/s...eeAgents-11-12

West, NeNe, Perkins, and DeAndre Jordan (RFA), Pryzbella, are a few guys we could be interested in.

Do not see many strong PF's avaiable in 2012, so if were gonna acqure a PF in FA, it will likely be this offseason.

Sports Logo

Default Re: 2011 & 2012 Free Agent list (espn)

Well, there are only 3 players we might be able to acquire and could help us and these are Zach Randolph, David West, and Jamal Crawford (for this summer)
    but if they do come here, they'd ask for a lot more money than they deserve...

Troy Murphy, he's a double-double machine!

BTW, wow, I just noticed that D.West will already be 31 by the start of next season. I thought he was much younger...
    Thank you Jeff.

Quote Originally Posted by 31andonly View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Troy Murphy, he's a double-double machine!

BTW, wow, I just noticed that D.West will already be 31 by the start of next season. I thought he was much younger...
    Yep, he's entered the league later than most. He has way less NBA minutes than Dwight Howard or LeBron, for example.

If I were Pacers management, I might try to sign Marc Gasol away from Memphis, with the idea of taking a twin towers approach. Gasol can bang, and Hibbert can play effectively in the high post. I think Gasol might be able to guard the power forward position, and a young dynamic big man is always tradeable, if things don't work out.

David West would be my first free agent choice, but I'd be very afraid of a deal that paid him a lot of money over 5 years. 3 with a team option for a fourth, yes.

I'd also keep an eye on Tyson Chandler and Andrei Kirilenko, as players who could be tremendously helpful, if they could be signed to advantageous contracts.

Of course I'd bring back McRoberts, hopefully long-term for a fair price. 3-4 million per year?

I wouldn't do any deals that locked up an aging player to the disadvantage of the team.

I think the Pacers really need an excellent pick and roll power forward, but if none were available for a price I'd be willing to pay, I'd concentrate my attention on rebounders.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Mono View Post
    If I were Pacers management, I might try to sign Marc Gasol away from Memphis, with the idea of taking a twin towers approach. Gasol can bang, and Hibbert can play effectively in the high post. I think Gasol might be able to guard the power forward position, and a young dynamic big man is always tradeable, if things don't work out.

David West would be my first free agent choice, but I'd be very afraid of a deal that paid him a lot of money over 5 years. 3 with a team option for a fourth, yes.

I'd also keep an eye on Tyson Chandler and Andrei Kirilenko, as players who could be tremendously helpful, if they could be signed to advantageous contracts.

Of course I'd bring back McRoberts, hopefully long-term for a fair price. 3-4 million per year?

I wouldn't do any deals that locked up an aging player to the disadvantage of the team.

I think the Pacers really need an excellent pick and roll power forward, but if none were available for a price I'd be willing to pay, I'd concentrate my attention on rebounders.
    Those two seem most likely to me. They seem like Bird's type of player, and I think they could make a positive impact. Gasol fits the youth of the team, and AK47 fits Bird's desire to have a veteran, so neither would surprise me.
    BLUE COLLAR GOLD SWAGGER

@The_Real_CJake

I'm having a deja vu here. On every page there's a similar thread, with the same twin tower idea of Marc Gasol and Roy that gets (reasonably imo) shut down. Only the posters are different. Do you guys have multiple accounts?

With what he'd done in Yao's absence, I don't think Houston would let him get away, but I'd be interested in Chuck Hayes. Not a lot of offense, but can play 4 & 5 despite his size and is a quintessential blue collar rebounder/defender type.
    I'd rather die standing up than live on my knees.

-Emiliano Zapata

As for free agents, the only realistic option i like is David West. Zach Randolph and J-Rich are the other two I like, but given their history I don't think they are realistic for a franchise so self-conscious about its image.

Nene won't be a free agent, makes no sense to opt out of 11.6 mil without new CBA. Besides, I don't like him next to Hibbert untill Hibbert find that range he missplaced since the Bogut game. Right now that frontline would be so limited offensively, not to mention no answer to Dirks and Wests of the league on defense. I wouldn't mind a February trade of Nene for Hibbert though, makes Denver younger, and we could still go for West in offseason. Granger-West-Nene on paper seem to be a great fit and might be the best 3-4-5 combo in the league.

Quote Originally Posted by D-BONE View Post
    With what he'd done in Yao's absence, I don't think Houston would let him get away, but I'd be interested in Chuck Hayes. Not a lot of offense, but can play 4 & 5 despite his size and is a quintessential blue collar rebounder/defender type.

If we add Chuck Hayes AND Brian Scalabrine, I think we might have a title contender!

Nothing against blue collar, but we really need to do much better. i hope we haven't waited all these years just to get a Chuck Hayes.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to ballism For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by ballism View Post

If we add Chuck Hayes AND Brian Scalabrine, I think we might have a title contender!

Nothing against blue collar, but we really need to do much better. i hope we haven't waited all these years just to get a Chuck Hayes.
    I don't mean as our primary target. But maybe as the second or even a third guy if money/trade options permit. I agree if we just got Hayes it would be a major disappointment, but I don't think we're beyond looking for the kind of role players we lack.

And, if you buy into the theory that Hibbert would benefit from a tough defensive oriented four, then Hayes would serve a purpose there. This is all pending what the guys we have show us. We still have a major need for toughness inside. Nene would do a lot for us there. West some, but not as much. Although I recognize he contributes greatly in other ways.
    I'd rather die standing up than live on my knees.

-Emiliano Zapata

Quote Originally Posted by ballism View Post
    I'm having a deja vu here. On every page there's a similar thread, with the same twin tower idea of Marc Gasol and Roy that gets (reasonably imo) shut down. Only the posters are different. Do you guys have multiple accounts?
    I didn't see the other thread (threads?) where the suggestion was made. Folks, I don't guarantee that all my ideas are good ones, but I do guarantee your money back on the ones you don't like.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

I have thought for some time that Bird might be eyeing AK47 to put between Hibbert and Granger.

I think AK47 would be a major gamble, if you were to sign him intending that he be the starting power forward for your team. He may be inconsistent like crazy and just not have very much left. On the other hand, it could pay off big time. This is a guy who was just insane when he was the starting power forward for the Jazz. When they didn't have enough pieces around him to look for a lot of balance, he could run all over the court like a mad man. When the Jazz added Okur, Boozer, and then Williams, AK's role changed dramatically. It's sort of hard to say if he actually is what he currently appears to be, or if he's still got that dynamic game in him just waiting to come back out.

Yeah, I'm a Pacers fan. MyFavMartin's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Mono View Post
    I think AK47 would be a major gamble, if you were to sign him intending that he be the starting power forward for your team. He may be inconsistent like crazy and just not have very much left. On the other hand, it could pay off big time. This is a guy who was just insane when he was the starting power forward for the Jazz. When they didn't have enough pieces around him to look for a lot of balance, he could run all over the court like a mad man. When the Jazz added Okur, Boozer, and then Williams, AK's role changed dramatically. It's sort of hard to say if he actually is what he currently appears to be, or if he's still got that dynamic game in him just waiting to come back out.
    I initially dismissed the AK47 idea at PF and then checked out this, where half his time is spent at PF and he has a very good PER rating:

http://www.82games.com/1011/10UTA7.HTM

Interesting when you compare him to Josh Smith and his PER at the PF spot:

http://www.82games.com/1011/10ATL11.HTM

Chairman of the Boards 90'sNBARocked's Avatar

Please no AK47

now his nickname should be "AK Starter Pistol"

He is a shell of what he used to be, and I will never forget him crying in the playoffs
    Sittin on top of the world!

Speaking strictly of free agents (or players than may opt out), considering each position, I like the following:

PF -
    West (starter), Landry (backup), McRoberts (backup only) Glen Davis (backup), Humphries (backup). Randolph is a fine offensive player, but I wouldn't touch him.

C -
    Perkins (backup/part time starter)

SG / PG-
    Jamal Crawford (combo guard), Daniels (can still guard PG, SG, SF)

SF -
    Wilson Chandler

I would definitely go after West first. If West cannot be signed, then I would try to work a trade to acquire a good PF. If that does not progress, I would sign both of Landry and McRoberts, depending on dollars.

Secondly, I would go after Perkins as a backup center, or a heavy minutes player on those occassions that Hibbert is missing in action. Perkins is not the greatest offensive player in the world, but he can guard virtually any center in the league straight up

If Hibbert can't get it turned around before the end of this season, I would consider picking up a stronger scoring SG like Jamal Crawford. If we feel as though we need an SG/PG that can score from the perimeter but cannot get our hands on Crawford, I would look into acquiring Kirk Hinrich through a trade. He has only one year left at 8M, thus would be an expiring contract that is viewed as a very good player by most other teams in the league. He could traded next season, allowed to expire, used in a sign and trade or even re-signed for less money. That's not to move away from the youth movement at SG or PG either one, it's just that Hinrich is a great backcourt utility player to have around to fill almost any need you would have.

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to beast23 For This Useful Post:

crazy shinaniganz BringJackBack's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by beast23 View Post
    Speaking strictly of free agents (or players than may opt out), considering each position, I like the following:

PF -
    West (starter), Landry (backup), McRoberts (backup only) Glen Davis (backup), Humphries (backup). Randolph is a fine offensive player, but I wouldn't touch him.

C -
    Perkins (backup/part time starter)

SG / PG-
    Jamal Crawford (combo guard), Daniels (can still guard PG, SG, SF)

SF -
    Wilson Chandler

I would definitely go after West first. If West cannot be signed, then I would try to work a trade to acquire a good PF. If that does not progress, I would sign both of Landry and McRoberts, depending on dollars.

Secondly, I would go after Perkins as a backup center, or a heavy minutes player on those occassions that Hibbert is missing in action. Perkins is not the greatest offensive player in the world, but he can guard virtually any center in the league straight up

If Hibbert can't get it turned around before the end of this season, I would consider picking up a stronger scoring SG like Jamal Crawford. If we feel as though we need an SG/PG that can score from the perimeter but cannot get our hands on Crawford, I would look into acquiring Kirk Hinrich through a trade. He has only one year left at 8M, thus would be an expiring contract that is viewed as a very good player by most other teams in the league. He could traded next season, allowed to expire, used in a sign and trade or even re-signed for less money. That's not to move away from the youth movement at SG or PG either one, it's just that Hinrich is a great backcourt utility player to have around to fill almost any need you would have.

Might I add Tracy McGrady to your list as well? I think that if he's healthy (Which he has been), he's a very effective 1/2/3 off the bench. Very versatile like Marquis.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by BringJackBack View Post
    Might I add Tracy McGrady to your list as well? I think that if he's healthy (Which he has been), he's a very effective 1/2/3 off the bench. Very versatile like Marquis.
    T-Mac is gonna go 2 a contender next yr he just needed a yr of rehab he is looking really good of late.

crazy shinaniganz BringJackBack's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pacer4ever View Post
    T-Mac is gonna go 2 a contender next yr he just needed a yr of rehab he is looking really good of late.
    Money talks.. If they are looking to sign him for the minimum, than we sign him for 2years/6mil if he does it.

Banned

Has anyone here given any legitimate thought to Yao Ming? I know he's had a rough time with injuries, but looking at his games played, it hasn't been quite as bad as I thought. If doctor's say he's healthy and ready to go for 11-12, he'd be awfully tempting. Not only a great center but think of the other things he brings with him by being such a megastar in China.

Quote Originally Posted by Jared Sullinger View Post
    Has anyone here given any legitimate thought to Yao Ming? I know he's had a rough time with injuries, but looking at his games played, it hasn't been quite as bad as I thought. If doctor's say he's healthy and ready to go for 11-12, he'd be awfully tempting. Not only a great center but think of the other things he brings with him by being such a megastar in China.
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

25. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hall O'Point For This Useful Post:

Banned

Argh. I just realized he missed all of 09-10 prior to his five-games this year. Instead of listing zero games played for that season, ESPN just omitted it altogether.

So five-games in two-years. Maybe he is done.

Maybe not.

[QUOTE=Mono;1151297]If I were Pacers management, I might try to sign Marc Gasol away from Memphis, with the idea of taking a twin towers approach. Gasol can bang, and Hibbert can play effectively in the high post. I think Gasol might be able to guard the power forward position, and a young dynamic big man is always tradeable, if things don't work out.

QUOTE]

I do agree with your thoughts on Gasol and think the twin towers concept would work for us although most on here seem to disagree.

Nene would be my first choice and I'd be willing to bet that he opts out. He's having a fringe all star level year and has been healthy for several full seasons now. If Nene were to be a free agent under this cba he'd be looking at a big pay increase. I don't see him losing anything under the new cba at least not near the end of his new contract so I see it as a low risk move for him to opt out. West would not be at the top of my list due to his age and size but I could live with signing him.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Pacerized For This Useful Post:

Twitter: @SuprCityIndyFan PacerGuy's Avatar

Tyson Chandler is by far my #1 option on this list.
    I wanted the Pacers to work a deal for him t/y, before he went to Dallas. He has been outstanding for them, especially on the defensive end. IMO there is no was they let him go, & I have heard he wants to stay, so unless the new CBA makes it hard/ impossible for him to stay, I bet he does. The reason I want him is he is a defense-first big, fairly young, and has good athleticism, plus he is far from a stiff on the offensive end. He is the type of big that while best suited as a 5, could give you some min's @ the 4 in spots. We need a "combo" big behind Roy - someone with better athleticism, not another "big" big.
    (*Note: Nene would rate right up there too, but IMO there is no way either would accept a backup role, & no way I demote Roy!!!)

As for the others, J.Rich & AK have some interest, but I'm not teribilly excited & not interested in big $'s if that is what it takes. Not sure I would enjoy watching D.West any more then McBob, who we likely lose if we sign West. Not that West would not put up better numbers & be a better short term guy, but @ 31, I don't want us to tie up our new cash on an old soul. If this is the list, I spend moderately, & wait for the trade deadline n/y to see who is available, or I wait till the following summer when there will be a bigger crop of FA'a avilable (D.Will?)

Sad thing is, beyond the A.Randolph for our #1, I have not found a doable deal out there, & really nothing I like for our expirings. I keep thinking Dun would have interest, but the "fits" I have found him for have not offered us much of what we would want. TJ has no value other then as an expiring, so I don't see him going anywhere, & Foster has more value to us then anything he could bring back. I would to get J.Thompson out of Sac-Town, as he fits the mode of the athletic/combo b/u to Roy I mentioned, but unless they just want to dump him, I don't see a deal because I don't want any of their longer contracts to go with him. Houston should be looking to shed salery, but it sounds like they are llooking to add, not shed. B.Miller would have been another big that while is not exactly the athletic type I outlined, I think would still be an upgrade @ 4.5 mil. for just for n/y. I like K.Martin a lot too, but he looks to be a piece they want to build around, so he isn't going anywhere. Blatche in Washington intrigues me, but I do not see him accepting not being a starter, & that would mean his is unhappy, & that leads to trouble w/ a guy like him. Like the talent, not the attitude. Lastly, Gortat is PHX is a guy I know Larry liked, but again, PHX seems to be happy w/ him & Lopez combo & with them holding onto Nash (I have NO idea why!), they might as well wait 1 more year before moving him.

Best advise: Don't Panic!
    Don't sign a FA to sign a FA, don't make a deal to make a deal. We have good young talent that if they mature as we hope will need to get paid themselves. Adding to this core would be great, losing some of them because we panic would be tragic!
    "Larry Bird: You are Officially On the Clock! (3/24/08)"
    (Watching You Like A Hawk!)

30. The Following User Says Thank You to PacerGuy For This Useful Post: