Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 26

Thread: Iguodala is tradable

  1. #1
    B U T L E R..U a Bulldog!
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Basketball heartland
    Posts
    2,161

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Iguodala is tradable

    Philly Inquirer
    By Kate Fegan
    http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/..._Iguodala.html

    Determining the correct move feels a little like navigating a labyrinth: so many corners, so many decisions, and even when you get to the end you might still find yourself dropping through a hole.

    It's a yes-or-no query, but the surrounding factors complicate the matter, especially considering that management's decision could be the difference between continued mediocrity and impending relevance.

    They can't get this one wrong, they just can't.

    As the calendar shifts from January to February, the NBA's trading deadline is no longer hidden. That deadline, Feb. 24, is like a floating neon sign over Iguodala's head.

    Will they or won't they? Should they or shouldn't they? Can they or can't they?

    Before we lay out the web of thoughts tangling each side of the debate, let's start with a hypothesis born from many phone calls, text messages, and research. Without this forthcoming hypothesis, there would be no need for discussion because Iguodala would be untradable. Under those circumstances, it would matter very little what the franchise did or did not want.

    Our hypothesis? Iguodala is tradable.

    Opportunities absolutely do exist for the Sixers to receive expiring contracts for Iguodala, although the level of "basketball value" the Sixers could find in return is probably uneven to the level of "basketball value" Iguodala possesses.

    The discrepancy exists because of Iguodala's over-the-top contract, on which he is still owed approximately $44 million through the 2013-14 season.

    Working forward from that hypothesis, Sixers fans must ask themselves: Do I want management to trade Iguodala for an expiring contract or player(s) who will likely be less talented? Am I prepared to give away a known asset for an unknown one?

    If you've answered "Yes, it's time to trade Iguodala," then here's the reasoning: Iguodala may be a known quantity, but that known quantity has never proven capable of leading his team past the first round of the NBA playoffs.

    Regardless of the value of return on a potential trade, whether the Sixers receive an expiring contract or a couple of similarly overrated players, the most important consideration is moving on from the "Iguodala era" and freeing the younger players - namely Evan Turner, Thaddeus Young, Jrue Holiday, and Lou Williams - for their chance at leading this franchise.Even if the Sixers have a shot at this season's playoffs, it's meaningless in the NBA to be the sixth, seventh, or eighth seed. The team would merely be delaying the inevitable: admitting they're not good enough to contend. Yes, trading Iguodala might make it more difficult for the team to earn one of the aforementioned playoff spots, but at this time the franchise can't concern itself with meaningless playoff appearances when faced with such a crucial decision.

    A disconnect exists right now among Iguodala, the fans, and the franchise. He's ready for his ticket elsewhere. The fans are ready. The only party yet to realize this is Sixers management.

    Make the trade. Make the best trade offered.

    If you've answered "No, let's wait a second," then here's the reasoning: The Sixers look as if they're starting to figure things out and now is not the time to disrupt that rhythm.

    Who knows what Doug Collins might be able to do with this roster? He's already exceeded expectations and has the team on a collision course with the playoffs. Losing Iguodala, especially for an expiring contract without on-court basketball value, would jeopardize what appears to be a jelling core of players.

    Of course a lower playoff seed is not precisely where this franchise wants to be, but as long as Collins has things moving from bad to better, management should keep this roster intact.

    The Sixers shouldn't want free-agent cap space, anyway. It's not as if the franchise can easily lure top-level talent away from other markets, so the end result might be a free-agent signing that is beneath what Iguodala already offers.

    The Sixers should wait, be patient, and let Collins reassess at season's end.

    Like we said, this question is tangled. The answer isn't easy.

    But the decision, whatever it may be, is crucial.
    Just some more Iggy trade buzz. nothing connected directly to the 76ers but offers an interesting read. him and Danny would make an awesome duo.

  2. #2
    Member Dr. Awesome's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Wilmington, NC
    Posts
    4,226

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Iguodala is tradable

    This seems more like a journalists opinion instead of something from the 76ers organization. I believe they would trade Iguadala, but this article is nothing significant.

  3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dr. Awesome For This Useful Post:


  4. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    3,436

    Default Re: Iguodala is tradable

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Awesome View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    This seems more like a journalists opinion instead of something from the 76ers organization. I believe they would trade Iguadala, but this article is nothing significant.
    Correct. It's the journalists opinion. League reports say the 76ers are keeping him this year.

    And really, if you agree with the sentiments of the writer (not that I do), wouldn't putting Igoudala on the Pacers' roster right now be duplicating the situation he's in with Philly? It'd just be one of those change of scenery things.

    And really, the 76ers asking price is most likely too high. Expiring contracts and a 2nd round pick won't cut it. There are plenty of teams with expiring contracts and they'd get some good offers.

  5. #4

    Default Re: Iguodala is tradable

    I think Dallas should make a strong push for Iguodala. With Caron Butler out they could use another wing. I think Butler's contract is expiring and paid mostly by insurance.

  6. #5
    Whale Shepherd cdash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    The Sprawl
    Age
    29
    Posts
    16,936

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Iguodala is tradable

    I don't care whether he is available or not, I don't want us to make a run at him. I've totally reversed course on this one as the year has gone on, and Paul George is very close to being untouchable in my eyes, and I assume it would take him to land AI.

  7. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:


  8. #6
    crazy shinaniganz BringJackBack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    7,351

    Default Re: Iguodala is tradable

    Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I don't care whether he is available or not, I don't want us to make a run at him. I've totally reversed course on this one as the year has gone on, and Paul George is very close to being untouchable in my eyes, and I assume it would take him to land AI.
    Same, same as always. Iggy would probably be good for us for the end of the year to try to make a run, but I get a feeling that starting next season Paul George is ready to start- even over Igoudala.

    To trade for him would be somewhat shortsighted looking at his contract. Granted, he would be good for us.

    Let me just say that I would only approve of picking up Iggy only if Paul George isn't included.

  9. #7
    Member BobbyMac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Homeless Traveler
    Posts
    1,163
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Iguodala is tradable

    As long as he doesn't end up here.

  10. #8
    Member BobbyMac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Homeless Traveler
    Posts
    1,163
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Iguodala is tradable

    Quote Originally Posted by BobbyMac View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    As long as he doesn't end up here.
    Ok. I'll take that back. I'd be happy to trade Rush for him. Straight up! no draft picks, I might include rights to Stanko.

  11. #9

    Default Re: Iguodala is tradable

    Quote Originally Posted by BringJackBack View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Same, same as always. Iggy would probably be good for us for the end of the year to try to make a run, but I get a feeling that starting next season Paul George is ready to start- even over Igoudala.

    To trade for him would be somewhat shortsighted looking at his contract. Granted, he would be good for us.

    Let me just say that I would only approve of picking up Iggy only if Paul George isn't included.
    I agree, I've backed off.

    I still want Iggy, but only if we can get him without offering Paul George.

    An Iggy/Granger/George wing rotation is nice..It also allows for Paul George to not have as much pressure/come along slower. And there's plenty of minutes to go around in a three wing rotation.

  12. The Following User Says Thank You to Sookie For This Useful Post:


  13. #10
    bleed Blue & Gold PacersPride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    3,211

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Iguodala is tradable

    Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I don't care whether he is available or not, I don't want us to make a run at him. I've totally reversed course on this one as the year has gone on, and Paul George is very close to being untouchable in my eyes, and I assume it would take him to land AI.
    i am right there with you. changed course as well, still would like to see the pacers get AI, but then again, the cap space is perhaps more valuable to me at this time as a fan of the pacers.

    there is no way the pacers should trade paul george, unless its eric gordon. rush, dunleavy, 1st would be okay, add posey and d jones. AI as a player is great, but his contract brings down any value philly would recieve in return.

  14. #11
    Member owl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    4,152

    Default Re: Iguodala is tradable

    The Pacers need bigs. Powerforwards or centers.
    {o,o}
    |)__)
    -"-"-

  15. #12
    Feed the big fella. Infinite MAN_force's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Broadripple
    Age
    28
    Posts
    2,237

    Default Re: Iguodala is tradable

    I wouldn't give up Paul George for him anymore. Would Dunleavy and Rush be enough to get Iggy? It seems like his value is pretty low right now, could be a steal.
    "As a bearded man, i was very disappointed in Love. I am gathering other bearded men to discuss the status of Kevin Love's beard. I am motioning that it must be shaved."

    - ilive4sports

  16. #13
    Member esabyrn333's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Rapid City, South Dakota
    Age
    37
    Posts
    697

    Default Re: Iguodala is tradable

    Quote Originally Posted by Infinite MAN_force View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I wouldn't give up Paul George for him anymore. Would Dunleavy and Rush be enough to get Iggy? It seems like his value is pretty low right now, could be a steal.

    I would think one of the 2 would get it done if not walk away

    Dunleavy, Rush, 1st or

    Ford, Rush, 1st

  17. The Following User Says Thank You to esabyrn333 For This Useful Post:


  18. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Lifelong Indy-area resident
    Age
    62
    Posts
    4,644

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Iguodala is tradable

    No way would I give up a 1st in a deal for anything other than a PF or PF/C. Keep that pick until we acquire the frontcourt man we need. Then, if the pick isn't involved in that trade, the Pacers can use it however they wish, even acquiring AI as far as I'm concerned.

    But DO NOT risk losing out on an opportunity to acquire the right big man for this team because we don't have a 1st round pick to throw into the package.

  19. #15
    B U T L E R..U a Bulldog!
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Basketball heartland
    Posts
    2,161

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Iguodala is tradable

    dunleavy, Mcbob, and 1st rounder for josh Smith? Be able to move horford back to the 4.

  20. #16
    crazy shinaniganz BringJackBack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    7,351

    Default Re: Iguodala is tradable

    Quote Originally Posted by Pacersalltheway10 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    dunleavy, Mcbob, and 1st rounder for josh Smith? Be able to move horford back to the 4.
    As much as everyone would love that deal, including myself, no way that happens.


    For that package we could land Kaman, Varejao (out for the season though), or maybe, maybe a Paul Milsap or Nene considering the circumstances. MAYBE. MAYBE.

  21. #17
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Dillon, Co
    Posts
    3,899

    Default Re: Iguodala is tradable

    Quote Originally Posted by beast23 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    No way would I give up a 1st in a deal for anything other than a PF or PF/C. Keep that pick until we acquire the frontcourt man we need. Then, if the pick isn't involved in that trade, the Pacers can use it however they wish, even acquiring AI as far as I'm concerned.

    But DO NOT risk losing out on an opportunity to acquire the right big man for this team because we don't have a 1st round pick to throw into the package.
    I agree, we only have so many 1st. round picks to trade and I'd rather not trade any let alone waist one on another wing player. If we have to throw in a 1st. to get a player then it needs to be for a starting big man. I would take Iggy if it's just for an expiring contract or Rush and Posy, but his game has declined for 3 years in a row and he's overpaid for what he brings. I doubt if Iggy is available once we get our big man and I'm o.k. with that.

  22. #18
    I'm on a MAC! graphic-er's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    7,371

    Default Re: Iguodala is tradable

    Quote Originally Posted by Pacerized View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I agree, we only have so many 1st. round picks to trade and I'd rather not trade any let alone waist one on another wing player. If we have to throw in a 1st. to get a player then it needs to be for a starting big man. I would take Iggy if it's just for an expiring contract or Rush and Posy, but his game has declined for 3 years in a row and he's overpaid for what he brings. I doubt if Iggy is available once we get our big man and I'm o.k. with that.
    His game has declined, but thats because he has been playing with a bunch of young scrubs. Granger's game has declined a bit as well for the same reason. At some point really good players need to be paired up or surrounded with other really good players, or their game gets redundant and predictable for defenses. I'd take AI in a heart beat, and I'd give up anybody on the team except for Hibbert, Granger, DC. I'd hate to see PG go, but if you get AI, then he is your starting 2 anyways. So you can live with letting young talent go.

  23. #19
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Indy
    Posts
    7,920

    Default Re: Iguodala is tradable

    Quote Originally Posted by graphic-er View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    His game has declined, but thats because he has been playing with a bunch of young scrubs. Granger's game has declined a bit as well for the same reason. At some point really good players need to be paired up or surrounded with other really good players, or their game gets redundant and predictable for defenses. I'd take AI in a heart beat, and I'd give up anybody on the team except for Hibbert, Granger, DC. I'd hate to see PG go, but if you get AI, then he is your starting 2 anyways. So you can live with letting young talent go.
    Granger's play has declined not because who he is playing around, but because he tries to force stuff. He isn't a James or Bryant but he tries to play like he is. This leads to him taking way to many bad shots. No matter what the reason is for him trying to force it, it isn't because of who he is playing with it is because of himself. We have better talent around him now than he has had since JOB got here yet this is his worst year.

  24. The Following User Says Thank You to Eleazar For This Useful Post:


  25. #20
    Release Psycho T pwee31's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    7,150

    Default Re: Iguodala is tradable

    I wouldn't mind Iggy. He's only 27, even though he's having a "down year" he's still averaging 14 points and almost 6 assist a game. He defends, and is usually really active, even when not scoring.

    I'm hesitant on what I would give up, but if it's just expiring contracts, I do it.

    I think the Pacers go after an Iggy or Kevin Martin, and also try to get a big like David West if he becomes available

  26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pwee31 For This Useful Post:


  27. #21
    I'm on a MAC! graphic-er's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    7,371

    Default Re: Iguodala is tradable

    Quote Originally Posted by Eleazar View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Granger's play has declined not because who he is playing around, but because he tries to force stuff. He isn't a James or Bryant but he tries to play like he is. This leads to him taking way to many bad shots. No matter what the reason is for him trying to force it, it isn't because of who he is playing with it is because of himself. We have better talent around him now than he has had since JOB got here yet this is his worst year.
    Better talent but not better players as of yet, you have basically proved my point. 2 of our starters are 2nd year players, 1 in this 3rd. How can you say we have way better players around Granger, he is playing with young guys who have no idea what to do half of the time. Thats the reason he has to try and be a Lebron! You put him with another star player like AI, and he will play much better than he is now.

  28. #22
    Member pacers74's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Plainfield
    Posts
    2,288

    Default Re: Iguodala is tradable

    Quote Originally Posted by pwee31 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I wouldn't mind Iggy. He's only 27, even though he's having a "down year" he's still averaging 14 points and almost 6 assist a game. He defends, and is usually really active, even when not scoring.

    I'm hesitant on what I would give up, but if it's just expiring contracts, I do it.

    I think the Pacers go after an Iggy or Kevin Martin, and also try to get a big like David West if he becomes available
    I would take AI or Martin. They would both help if we really want to make a playoff push and they would take a ton of pressure off of DG.

    David West isn't going anywhere right now. New Orleans is killing it right now. They are 31-17 and in 5th place in the west. No way they break up that team. If we want West we are going to have to wait until the summer and over pay for him to get him of of New Orleans.

  29. #23
    I'm on a MAC! graphic-er's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    7,371

    Default Re: Iguodala is tradable

    Quote Originally Posted by pacers74 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I would take AI or Martin. They would both help if we really want to make a playoff push and they would take a ton of pressure off of DG.

    David West isn't going anywhere right now. New Orleans is killing it right now. They are 31-17 and in 5th place in the west. No way they break up that team. If we want West we are going to have to wait until the summer and over pay for him to get him of of New Orleans.
    West will most likely opt out of his deal making about 7 million next year. He is looking to make atleast 10 million at season. Is 10 million a year over paying for West? I'm not sure. He is a really good player, very clutch too. Perfect pick and roll player. If you think we need a big man who can draw the defense away from Hibbert, then West is the guy, because you can't leave him open around the free throw line. I'd say thats worth 10 million a year. I'd like to see us offer him a declining salary. 4 years 44 million. Start with a larger number the 1st year to really entice him, and have it go down every year as we have to be worried about his age in the 3rd and 4th years. But that also makes him trade-able later on if it just isn't working out.

  30. #24
    BoilerUpMan Really?'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Bloomington
    Posts
    4,023
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Iguodala is tradable

    trade wouldn't be worth it

  31. #25
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Dillon, Co
    Posts
    3,899

    Default Re: Iguodala is tradable

    Quote Originally Posted by graphic-er View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    His game has declined, but thats because he has been playing with a bunch of young scrubs. Granger's game has declined a bit as well for the same reason. At some point really good players need to be paired up or surrounded with other really good players, or their game gets redundant and predictable for defenses. I'd take AI in a heart beat, and I'd give up anybody on the team except for Hibbert, Granger, DC. I'd hate to see PG go, but if you get AI, then he is your starting 2 anyways. So you can live with letting young talent go.

    I think I've normally seen good players get overblown stats on bad teams such as Monta Ellis, not have their game decline, although you have a good point on the opposing teams defense being able to put a greater focus in a case like Iggy or Granger. Granger's game has declined but not nearly to the point that Iggys has. Iggy isn't an all star and I doubt if he ever will be at this point. I'd still take him even though I do think he's overpaid, I just wouldn't give up anything more then expiring contracts for him. It's not much of a leap of faith to think that PG can be putting up 14 ppg soon. We need to save our assets for a big man not a wing player.

  32. The Following User Says Thank You to Pacerized For This Useful Post:


Similar Threads

  1. 76ers Attempting To Trade Iguodala
    By pacer4ever in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 112
    Last Post: 12-18-2010, 01:57 PM
  2. Cross Iguodala Off The List
    By 90'sNBARocked in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 12-14-2010, 08:38 PM
  3. Iguodala available
    By PacersPride in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 211
    Last Post: 12-05-2010, 04:49 PM
  4. A Sixers Blog Asks...
    By jshortt in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 48
    Last Post: 11-09-2010, 11:50 AM
  5. Sixers re-sign Iguodala for 6yr/80 mil
    By Doddage in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 08-15-2008, 10:22 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •