Thread: Too much substitution

Default Too much substitution

Like many, I'm not a fan of JOB's coaching, sub patterns, etc. It seems that too often we only have 1 or no starters on the floor long before the game is settled, and that's where we get in trouble.

Most teams sub players in with at least 2-3 starters on the floor all the time when the game is up for grabs. So, I looked at how many minutes players get for each team, and it is interesting, I think.

Here is a breakdown of how many players for each team play 30+ minutes:

6: Washington
    5: Boston, New York, Atlanta, Orlando, Portland, Utah, Phoenix.
    4: New Jersey, Chicago, Cleveland, Milwaukee, Charlotte, Denver, Golden State (Ellis averages 41 min), Houston, Memphis (Gay averages 40 mins), New Orleans.
    3: Philly, Toronto, Miami, Minnesota, Ok City, LA Lakers, Dallas, San Antonio.
    2: Detroit (17-30), Indiana (17-27), Clippers (17-28), Sacto (11-33).

It's almost as if we're trying to play platoon basketball without the talent to do it with. Sorry for such a long post (not my usual), but I'm old and remember when players who didn't have all the physical talents, training equipment, dietary advisors, etc. played a lot more minutes in a much tougher game.

Thank you for your patience.

Sports Logo

Default Re: Too much substitution

I know that many don't agree....but I'm okay with a 8-9 man rotation. Given the pace that we would prefer to run at....I think that it allows for us to have fresh legs for the Players that we want to close out games.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I'm fine with an 8-9 man rotation as well. It's just some of the 8-9 that are used is what bothers me.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

If we were playing a more conventional offense with a lot more of walk it up and play half court, then I'd be all for shortening the rotation or not playing subs nearly as many minutes.

But we average more possessions than nearly all teams in the league, which speaks for the pace that we play. A faster pace directly translates to more substitutions.

Play McRoberts and Price! BRushWithDeath's Avatar

It absolutely should be an 8 man rotation. It is the same thing I have been saying all year. 2 PG, 3 wings, 3 bigs. Only due to foul problems do you play more that.

PG: Collison (28-30) Price (18-20)
    Wing: Granger (32-35) Rush (28-32) George (28-32)
    Bigs: Hibbert (28-32) McRoberts (32-35) Hansbrough (28-32)

That team may not win more games than what we are getting currently. But they wouldn't win fewer. And i would be a he'll of a lot more interested.

And James Posey should never play. Ever.
    "I had to take her down like Chris Brown."

-Lance Stephenson

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to BRushWithDeath For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by BRushWithDeath View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It absolutely should be an 8 man rotation. It is the same thing I have been saying all year. 2 PG, 3 wings, 3 bigs. Only due to foul problems do you play more that.

PG: Collison (28-30) Price (18-20)
    Wing: Granger (32-35) Rush (28-32) George (28-32)
    Bigs: Hibbert (28-32) McRoberts (32-35) Hansbrough (28-32)

That team may not win more games than what we are getting currently. But they wouldn't win fewer. And i would be a he'll of a lot more interested.

And James Posey should never play. Ever.
    I think that you should add in Foster and Dunleavy into that mix by shaving off about 20 combined minutes from both the Wing and PF/C ( Bigs ) minutes....I think that the both of them can and do contribute to the success of this Team.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to CableKC For This Useful Post:

Play McRoberts and Price! BRushWithDeath's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CableKC View Post
    I think that you should add in Foster and Dunleavy into that mix by shaving off about 20 combined minutes from both the Wing and PF/C ( Bigs ) minutes....I think that the both of them can and do contribute to the success of this Team.
    Those two can play due to foul trouble. And with Paul, Tyler, Hibbert, and Josh there will be foul trouble. But I don't want either of them to be a part of the regular rotation. All things being equal, neither should play over the younger guys unless it is a necessity. They just aren't good enough to warrant reducing the minutes our young guys are on the floor.
    "I had to take her down like Chris Brown."

-Lance Stephenson

Quote Originally Posted by beast23 View Post
    If we were playing a more conventional offense with a lot more of walk it up and play half court, then I'd be all for shortening the rotation or not playing subs nearly as many minutes.

But we average more possessions than nearly all teams in the league, which speaks for the pace that we play. A faster pace directly translates to more substitutions.

If you look at the NBA Power Rankings at NBA.com, the league average for possessions is 94.7 per game -- Pacers average 96.9 per game. That isn't that much difference. Add to that we're only 17th in the league in scoring, and there remains no reason for us not to play our starters more minutes (IMO).