Thread: Polian: Roethlisberger is up there with Brady/Manning

Default Polian: Roethlisberger is up there with Brady/Manning

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...rady/#comments

"Bottom line, if you ask football people, they're going to put Ben Roethlisberger up there with [Manning and Brady] almost unanimously," said Bill Polian, Colts president. "No one would leave him out. And others who have made the Pro Bowl, for example, wouldn't even get consideration if you took a poll of all 32 general managers."

Default Re: Polian: Roethlisberger is up there with Brady/Manning

I think Roethlisberger is overrated to some extent.

He has always played with one of the best defenses in the league and has had a strong running game. Rashard Mendenhall is one of the most underrated players in the league. That guy constantly turns nothing into something. It's amazing.

Roethlisberger is the PERFECT quarterback for the Steelers. He is exactly what they need. His ability to extend the play and not get sacked is unmatched. His size is scary. I will give him that.

However you put this guy on any other team in the league and he isn't going to make the offense better like Peyton, Brady, Drew Brese, Aaron Rogers, etc. Although it might be that the offense in Pitt just doesn't let him show off all his skills.

I'll say this that I am biased. On top of that I strongly dislike what I know about Roethlisberger. I think he has gotten away with some things that would have put the average person is prison. It should be innocent until proven guilty I know but I guess I have my doubts about him. Even before all that I never liked him.

He's in the top 10 I will give him that but there are probably 5-6 QBs i'd take over him any day of the week.
    Last edited by Young; 01-28-2011 at 06:30 PM.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Young For This Useful Post:

Agree about his fit for PITT, but the dude's got multiple rings, is back in another SB and is an absolute hellacious competitor. Definitely about as tough as they come.

Off the field stuff is a turn off, but purely in terms of on-field track record and success, I have no problem with that type of comparison.
    I'd rather die standing up than live on my knees.

-Emiliano Zapata

Roethlisberger would never have even SNIFFED a SB playing for the Colts and possibly the Patriots, considering Tom Brady has only been there once since the '04 season.

He has won no MVPs, been to the Pro Bowl once or twice, and his postseason numbers are way worse than both Manning and Brady's. How can we claim that he is on either Brady or Manning's level? Terry Bradshaw won four rings and he is rightfully not regarded as one of the greatest QBs of all time.

It is a testament to his TEAM that they were able to win Superbowl XL and the 2010 AFC Championship Game despite his best efforts to give both of those matches away.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by hoosierguy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Roethlisberger would never have even SNIFFED a SB playing for the Colts and possibly the Patriots, considering Tom Brady has only been there once since the '04 season.

He has won no MVPs, been to the Pro Bowl once or twice, and his postseason numbers are way worse than both Manning and Brady's. How can we claim that he is on either Brady or Manning's level? Terry Bradshaw won four rings and he is rightfully not regarded as one of the greatest QBs of all time.

It is a testament to his TEAM that they were able to win Superbowl XL and the 2010 AFC Championship Game despite his best efforts to give both of those matches away.

Let's not forget some of the clutch throws he has made, such as the game winning TD to Holmes against AZ in the Super Bowl. He is a great QB and he runs the 2 minute offense as good as any QB in the league. I can't stand the guy or the Steelers, but there is no denying that he is a great QB. If he wins the SB why can't he be considered up their with Brady and Manning? Just because his defense is great? Thats not fair.

Quote Originally Posted by ilive4sports View Post
    If he wins the SB why can't he be considered up their with Brady and Manning? Just because his defense is great? Thats not fair.
    The reason he has even been able to get to 3 SBs is because of his defense.

Manning would have 3-4 SB rings with PIT's defense.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by hoosierguy View Post
    The reason he has even been able to get to 3 SBs is because of his defense.

Manning would have 3-4 SB rings with PIT's defense.
    He may have, but Rothlisberger is on the verge of winning his 3rd and he still has a lot left. He plays well in big moments for them. Not many QB's can do what he does.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to ilive4sports For This Useful Post: