Thread: David Akers' daughter has cancer

Default David Akers' daughter has cancer

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/s...e=NFLHeadlines

David Akers' daughter had cyst removedEmail Print Comments70 ESPN.com news services

After David Akers missed two kicks in the Philadelphia Eagles' playoff loss to the Green Bay Packers earlier this month, safety Quintin Mikell said his teammate was distracted by an off-field issue.

His agent, Jerrold Colton, said it was a "private family health concern". Akers had been silent on the issue but told The Philadelphia Inquirer in a story that appeared in Sunday's editions that his 6-year-old daughter Halley had a malignant cyst in her left ovary that was removed in the week after the game.

Akers

"They used the word tumor or cyst or growth," Akers told the newspaper. "And you're like, 'OK, what does that mean?' Cancer is what that means."

Akers' wife, Erika, told the newspaper that she could tell from her seat in the stands at Lincoln Financial Field that her husband's mind wasn't solely on the game against the Packers.

"I could tell he was there doing his job," she told the newspaper. "But he wasn't there."

Akers missed field goals of 41 and 34 yards in the Eagles' 21-16 loss to the Packers.

According to early tests, doctors believe they removed all of the malignant tumor. Halley has to get blood tests each month for the rest of the year and then more tests periodically. Even is she remains cancer-free she likely will also eventually have to have her right ovary removed.

"I think a lot of it is the unknown for us, and still not knowing, still kind of holding on," Akers told the newspaper. "You just don't think this is going to happen to your kid."

Akers, who will be the NFC's kicker in Sunday's Pro Bowl, will be a free agent this offseason

Default Re: David Akers' daughter has cancer

I don't think you can underestimate the impact this had on him. I couldn't imagine being a kicker in the NFL. The mental toughness required is not talked about but it is huge. Hope is daughter is ok.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Akers is a great guy. I met him probably about 8 years ago and he's just a really nice guy. Sad to hear this and i really does make sense because he was great for the Eagles all year. I wish for the best his daughter.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Terrible. Best wishes for a quick recovery

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shu...urn=nfl-314339

What's even worse was Andy Reid's post-game comments, where he stated "We can all count. Those points would have helped." And yes, Reid was fully aware of Akers situation, and yet still called him out after the game.

Way to stay classy Andy Reid.

Also another tidbit from the article:

Whether Akers, who is scheduled to be a free agent in 2011, goes back the Eagles or not is a matter of conjecture, but despite his role in that playoff loss, you'll have to excuse him for feeling like a winner at this point - and for all the right reasons. Eagles special teams coach Bobby April checked in on the family, and Redskins linebacker London Fletcher(notes) (who's long been one of the classiest guys in the league) made a point to meet Halley during Pro Bowl practice.

I'm not going to be too hard on Andy Reid over this because all he said was that it could've helped if he made those FG's.

And Akers still chose to play despite all this going on if he couldn't handle it he shouldn't have played.

Quote Originally Posted by Basketball Fan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm not going to be too hard on Andy Reid over this because all he said was that it could've helped if he made those FG's.

And Akers still chose to play despite all this going on if he couldn't handle it he shouldn't have played.
    I am surprised the media is not riding him harder for it. Let another coach say that, they get crucified.

I agree to a point, and no offense to you, but you come off kind of like a heartless *** with that statement.

I guess I would not fault him for sitting it out, but I also think it is great he tried to play through everything happening.

Quote Originally Posted by vapacersfan View Post
    I am surprised the media is not riding him harder for it. Let another coach say that, they get crucified.

I agree to a point, and no offense to you, but you come off kind of like a heartless *** with that statement.

I guess I would not fault him for sitting it out, but I also think it is great he tried to play through everything happening.
    Reid didn't blame the loss on him, just saying the missed FG's hurt, and they did, Akers will be the first to agree. Reid is a players coach. I don't think anyone on the roster has been with Reid more than David.

And really another coach says it they will get crucified? Reid gets crucified on a weekly basis in Philadelphia.

Quote Originally Posted by ilive4sports View Post
    Reid didn't blame the loss on him, just saying the missed FG's hurt, and they did, Akers will be the first to agree. Reid is a players coach. I don't think anyone on the roster has been with Reid more than David.

And really another coach says it they will get crucified? Reid gets crucified on a weekly basis in Philadelphia.
    And rightly so. He is a good coach, but he is hesitant to adjust during in game situations. Hell, that was highlighted this year in the playoffs....or any other year when he basically all but abandoned the run.

And rightly so. He is a good coach, but he is hesitant to adjust during in game situations. Hell, that was highlighted this year in the playoffs....or any other year when he basically all but abandoned the run.
    I completely agree, but I really don't see anything wrong with his comments. Andy was probably asked about David's two misses no less when those comments were made.

"I've made a lot of kicks in my day. Today, missing them, it hurts," said the 12-year vet. "I don't know what else to say. I didn't do what I should be doing."

Thats what Akers said after the game.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to ilive4sports For This Useful Post:

I personally wouldn't have been able to but at the same time if your mind is elsewhere and rightfully so how effective are you? Its how I felt when Dungy's son died I knew that he wanted to come back because we were in the playoffs and he didn't want to let us down but at the same time I also know that he wasn't entirely "there" either.

As to why they aren't dogging Reid for this its because this story came out this morning. If they had known earlier this would've surpassed Cutlergate.