Thread: Ron Rothstein to the Miami Heat

Default Ron Rothstein to the Miami Heat

The Miami Herald is reporting that Rothstein is going to be an assistant with the Heat ths season.
    Hoopshype.com has the details and also has some interesting comments from Jim Paxson criticizing Larry Brown.

Default Re: Ron Rothstein to the Miami Heat

Good luck in Miami, again, Ron.

That's the last place I would have wanted him to go.

Why couldn't he go to the Magic instead?
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Fat, Drunk and Stupid Lord Helmet's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Good luck Ron.
    Super Bowl XLI Champions
    2000 Eastern Conference Champions

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    That's the last place I would have wanted him to go.
    No *****.

This is gonna sound over the top, considering we're talking about an over-the-hill assistant who Rick had no problem getting rid of. But I don't care. Here it goes...

Miami now scares me.

Peck's been riding that line ever since the Big Whatsawhosit went down there. But I shrugged it off. I felt they lost too much of their rotation in the trade, and it would take some real heavy lifting to get that roster up to snuff.

Since then, though, they've quietly added some really good role players. Damon Jones will help them immensely at point (we all knew Wade's not a natural One), Wesley Person is a real favorite of mine, and even the reports that they're going after Laettner makes a whole lot of sense. Look, I think he's a bum, an aging underachiever. But he's the kind of guy that would benefit greatly from playing next to Shaq. I could very easily see people calling him the Comeback player of the year if Miami gets him.

And there's more, besides the roster. Yes, I was impressed by the newly svelte Shaq we've seen. But there was still one thing holding me back: their coaching staff.

Now, that's not a knack against Stan. I think you can make the argument that he's better than his brother. Of course, I think Jeff is over-rated, but that's another story.

That said, he's still young, relatively speaking. This was Stan's first year in the big chair, and he had his ups and downs. He gets a lot of credit for the turnaround this year. He deserves a great deal of it, but not as much cred as he does. Wade deserves more, and, by extention, Riley does. Not only for drafting Wade, but putting that team together, especially getting Odom.

Plus, Riley leaving when he did shortchanged their staff. Sure, Stan was ready for the head chair, but what about the other guys. You can't tell me Bob McAdoo deserves to be a top assistant.

When Rothstein left, I said he'd be perfectly suited to go work with a young, first time coach. Somebody like Sam Mitchell in Toronto. But for him to go to a top flight team, where he still gets to mentor a young guy, it's just knocking one out of the park.

I've got a tremendous amount of respect for Ron. He never had the personality to be a head coach in the NBA (i.e., he doesn't coddle egos), but the man is an absolutely tremendous defensive coach. Without going through his extensive resume, I'll say two things. One, he was the head coach of the best defensive team I've ever seen, the Miami Sol of the WNBA. And two, if he hadn't been in Miami, he'd have been Isiah's head assistant instead of Brendan Malone, and, concordantly, Isiah would still be our coach. Yes, that's how good I think he is.

Miami's defense just got really good folks. Combine that with a tremendously dangerous young talent, plenty of veteran role players, and a behemoth with a chip on his shoulder, and Miami's a serious problem.

I still think we can take them, but it's a shame it'll take them a while to gel. If they didn't have to go through the growing pains of such a shakeup, I could see them having the best record in the East, not us or Detroit. That way, provided we won the Central, Detroit would have to deal with them in the second round. Let them slug it out and we get the winner.

If it goes as expected, we'll have to play Detroit and Miami back-to-back. That doesn't sound too good to me. Not too good at all.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

As for the rotation.

Kareem was traded for Junior Bridgeman, Elmore Smith, Dave Meyers and Brian Winters.

Each of those players went on to have good careers & in Bridgeman & Winters case All-star seasons. Dave Meyers was a solid player for a couple of years & Elmore played three more seasons in the league where he provided solid defense in the post & rebounding.

Nobody on the free earth ever wonders if the Lakers gave up to much depth to get Kareem.

Same goes for Shaq.

Yes, he will need help around him. But Wade is already a player & all they need to do is fill in the void with some players who know thier roles & don't need to be the man. They have already begun to do this.

Now add in a solid coach on defense.

We did address a need at the S.G. spot, so that is a good thing. However, we are way way way to small in the front.

We can still have a great regular season, but come playoff time we are way way way to small to do much damage.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

I don't understand the "we're way way way too small" stuff. As opposed to what teams? Other than the one Shaq is on? What other team is so huge they're going to embarras Jeff and Jermaine?

I am not saying that Ron Rothstein won't help, he will. However we are talking about a Heat team under Stan Van Gundy that was very, very well coached last season, so adding Ron won't really help that much because there is not that much more room for the Heat to be "coached any better".

Side note: I saw Kevin O'Neill yesterday at Best Buy in Castleton, did not say anything to him, he was walking the opposite direction, it was packed, and it took a second for it to register who he was. He was alone, walking kinda slow, and looked totally bored.

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Peck
    As for the rotation.

Kareem was traded for Junior Bridgeman, Elmore Smith, Dave Meyers and Brian Winters.

Each of those players went on to have good careers & in Bridgeman & Winters case All-star seasons. Dave Meyers was a solid player for a couple of years & Elmore played three more seasons in the league where he provided solid defense in the post & rebounding.

Nobody on the free earth ever wonders if the Lakers gave up to much depth to get Kareem.

Same goes for Shaq.
    Excellent points. But I guess, since I put Miami as one of the top-five frontcourts based on Shaq alone, that you are preaching to the chior here...
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks
    I don't understand the "we're way way way too small" stuff. As opposed to what teams? Other than the one Shaq is on? What other team is so huge they're going to embarras Jeff and Jermaine?
    In the playoffs, it only takes one team to ruin a good/ great regular season.

Jay, did you change your name or am I seeing things? :

Hicks - a few of us have posted in quite a bit of detail about our complete lack of depth and toughness in the front court.

You have mentioned that we have Jeff and Jermaine. These guys do a wonderful job against 90% of the PF/C combinations in the league. Both have proven pretty durable, but I would classify neither in the Ben Wallace, Dale Davis or Ron Artest mold of "tough".

But we've got to think beyond just our starters.... and we've got to think about what it will take to better compete up front against a team like Detroit.

So let's go to our bench. Who do we have that has shown any degree of reliability and consistency in the frontcourt?

Austin Croshere.

That's it.

A lot of guys keep talking about the first coming of Bender. But until we see it, we can't rely on it.

Pollard didn't show much last season, but I have seen much better from him when he was with the Kings. Until we see it, .....

In all good conscience, even disregarding the toughness aspect, are you comfortable approaching next season with only three proven players to cover the PF/C positions?

IMO, without a trade or a significant contribution from either Bender or Pollard, we are in deep *****. We need a 4th contributor in the front court, preferably a warrior, in the worst way.

I won't get into every other team. All it takes is one & in our case there are two. Both Detroit & Miami are now to big & strong for Jeff & Jermaine.

We probably could handle our first round opponet, but come the second round we are gonna face one of these two & IMO we just will not be able to get past them with no backup big men & Jeff being the starter.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

We'll get past them.

Shaq is all the Heat have in the Front court and he can only play so many minutes.

The Pistons require more work on the Perimeter which we will be vastly superior on. Plus isn't Jermaine extending his shooting range. That will help us. The Pistons may be stong on the front court, but it seems like people are forgetting the back court.

Huh, that post made no sense to me.

Vastly superior backcourt of the Pacers?????

Did Rip Hamilton retire? While I'm no great fan of Billips how can you put down the reigning MVP of the finals?

I like Tins. & Jackson may be a good player but in no way are they vastly superior to Hamilton & Billups.

Our back court is superior because of our bench. Man people don't use logic.

And no it is not a coincidence when somebody types something that makes no sense(You) and somebody else(Me) can't understand it.

P.S. if you use a question mark you might want to make sure you use words like HOW, WHEN, WHERE, WHAT, WHY, and WHO. It is a very simple concept that most 3rd graders can understand after no time. So if you work hard I'm sure you'll get it.

I think he meant that a starting backcourt of Jackson+Tinsley2004 is better than a starting backcourt of Miller+Tinsley2003. I can pretty much go along with that.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Ah silence, must agree with me then.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem
    I think he meant that a starting backcourt of Jackson+Tinsley2004 is better than a starting backcourt of Miller+Tinsley2003. I can pretty much go along with that.
    I take it back... he's lost it.

Man, that quality depth of Anthony Johnson is really going to do it for us...

Enjoy your time at PD!

Quote Originally Posted by Destined4Greatness
    We'll get past them.

Shaq is all the Heat have in the Front court and he can only play so many minutes.

The Pistons require more work on the Perimeter which we will be vastly superior on. Plus isn't Jermaine extending his shooting range. That will help us. The Pistons may be stong on the front court, but it seems like people are forgetting the back court.

Since you're new around here, and you're quickly establishing a "reputation", may I ask what I'm pretty sure many other people are thinking:

Have you ever watched and NBA game before?

In all seriousness, we've got a lot of guys on here, like - with varying degrees of optimism/ pessimism - Beast23, Peck, UncleBuck and Kegboy just to name four off the top of my head, that can help you learn how to analyze basketball games and players. Otherwise, we'll just keep laughing.

Quote Originally Posted by MSA2CF
    Jay, did you change your name or am I seeing things? :
    Yeah, I upgraded seats a little bit and abandoned Section222.

Quote Originally Posted by Destined4Greatness
    Ah silence, must agree with me then.
    That, or no one cares.

You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck
    I am not saying that Ron Rothstein won't help, he will. However we are talking about a Heat team under Stan Van Gundy that was very, very well coached last season, so adding Ron won't really help that much because there is not that much more room for the Heat to be "coached any better".
    I forgot about you being so high on him. Personally, I remember him making more than a couple "rookie" mistakes, especially against New Orleans in the playoffs.

Trust me, Rothstein's gonna make him a better coach. And if you need more convincing, just remember he's a disciple of your boy Fratello.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!