Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I need some damn motivation..

crazy shinaniganz BringJackBack's Avatar

Default I need some damn motivation..

Before I get started, I don't want to hear the, "Get over it, it's life. Life isn't fair," stuff. Also keep the "It doesn't matter, you have to go," stuff out of it too.

I'm really struggling with school and I'm in AP classes.. I try extremely hard but I lack focus and confidence and it holds me down. I had around a 3.0 GPA and starting off since coming back from break I have something like a 1.5 GPA. My parents aren't really involved so I don't have help there. Ditto for teachers.. They don't care. My friends are potheads and stuff so they don't catch my drift when I say that my performance is school is important.

It's dragging along and my grades aren't getting any better. The thing that worries me is that things aren't going to get any easier and my confidence in my work is going to ****. I study hard and do my work but I still blow quizzes and such, so it's not an effort thing because I care.

Y'all my buddies so I feel kind of comfortable talking with you guys about this. Please try not to be harsh I don't need that right now.

BTW here's my Twitter.. Lol
    http://twitter.com/#!/TurtleLover317

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BringJackBack For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: I need some damn motivation..

Hey BJB:

I was in your situation once and while I'm married and love that there are things I regret.

I dropped out of college after an underage and public intox. I work a minimum wage retail job it sucks.

I turn off my brain and go to work. I would give anything to use my education and smarts towards my job. Jut look at 4 years of suck vs. 30 years of ok I like what I'm doing. You'll do ok.

It's not super hard you just have to apply yourself.

You'll be ok.

-Matt.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Pig Nash For This Useful Post:

Thanks Nash I appreciate it.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to BringJackBack For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by BringJackBack View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Ditto for teachers.. They don't care.
    Speaking as a teacher, I find this hard to believe. Have you approached any of them in private about your concerns and/or to ask for advice/assistance? If so, what did they say?

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    Speaking as a teacher, I find this hard to believe. Have you approached any of them in private about your concerns and/or to ask for advice/assistance? If so, what did they say?
    I did with my english teacher, and she really likes me because of my impressive composition and such. Problem is/was, I have a great grade in there.

In bio I had a terrible grade in there and my teacher didn't like me because I'm a goof and I don't think she thinks I was serious. We never talked and at the beginning of the semester I have a new teacher who likes me. Bio isn't my strong suit, so my 75% is a good grade for me.

My math teacher is very nice and very smart, but the level of difficulty is just insane. She tries to help me a lot, and I used to have a 98% in there at one time, and I think I frustrate her so I have kind of backed off because it's just not clicking.

I was specifically referring to my social studies teacher though. He pushes a specific, over the top agenda and he admits that he is more interested in that than more important things. Basically he's very short sighted and when I tried to start discussion one time he took my question as passive-aggressiveness and he completely went off on me. He shuns me and consequently I have a terribad grade in there.

I'm going to have to talk to my math teacher though in private.. I've just asked for her help in class.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

1.5 damm sounds like freshmen year for me. Then I just started staying awake in class and paid attention to what the teacher says. This year I have stright A's first time in my life pretty crazy. I guess it is just about focus for me.

Quote Originally Posted by pacer4ever View Post
    1.5 damm sounds like freshmen year for me. Then I just started staying awake in class and paid attention to what the teacher says. This year I have stright A's first time in my life pretty crazy. I guess it is just about focus for me.
    Nawww. My GPA isn't a 1.5 overall. It's been a 1.5 since break. That'd probably even it out to like a 2.25, which isn't what I'm going for. I need at least a 3.0 because I'm in 21st Century Scholars, a program that pays my tuition into college. I need a 3.0 GPA throughout high school to get the scholarship though. We aren't the wealthiest family, I guess.

Mood

Nawww. My GPA isn't a 1.5 overall. It's been a 1.5 since break. That'd probably even it out to like a 2.25, which isn't what I'm going for. I need at least a 3.0 because I'm in 21st Century Scholars, a program that pays my tuition into college. I need a 3.0 GPA throughout high school to get the scholarship though. We aren't the wealthiest family, I guess.
    O i c Maybe more sleep is needed. I personal can go on 2 hrs of sleep, but a lot of people need 8 hrs or more to think to the best of their ablity.

I get about nine hours of sleep a day.. I go to sleep at 9:30 unless a basketball game is on. I was at a Super Bowl party so I'm hyped up right now hence why I'm up right now.

Mood

I get about nine hours of sleep a day.. I go to sleep at 9:30 unless a basketball game is on. I was at a Super Bowl party so I'm hyped up right now hence why I'm up right now.
    9:30 HOLY **** I would go crazy going to bed at that time. I would miss all the Clipper games

I havent went to bed that early since like 4th grade .

Yeah, my sleeping schedule is decent to say the least besides weekends.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I don't know how great of advice I can give, but I do know that getting down on yourself is only going to make matters worse. I always have been hard on myself, I hold myself to a higher standard than other people because I'd like to think I can achieve it. It's a double-edged sword though. If I get down on myself too much, it leads to depression, which sucks. Everything has a greyish hue to it when you are depressed, so try not to get down on yourself too much.

As for motivation? **** man, we don't know what makes you click. With schoolwork, it's hard sometimes. Especially if your friends are off dicking around a lot, it's tough to find a good balance, something I can't give any good advice over. I did way too much drinking and recreational drug use in college for my own good

Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    I don't know how great of advice I can give, but I do know that getting down on yourself is only going to make matters worse. I always have been hard on myself, I hold myself to a higher standard than other people because I'd like to think I can achieve it. It's a double-edged sword though. If I get down on myself too much, it leads to depression, which sucks. Everything has a greyish hue to it when you are depressed, so try not to get down on yourself too much.

As for motivation? **** man, we don't know what makes you click. With schoolwork, it's hard sometimes. Especially if your friends are off dicking around a lot, it's tough to find a good balance, something I can't give any good advice over. I did way too much drinking and recreational drug use in college for my own good
    What I bolded is the part that sucks. I'm not there yet, but I've been there with a lot of other things. If I get that down it will get worse. It just seems so damn repetitive and all that.

About the last paragraph..

BTW: If any of you want to add me on FB or whatever just PM me.

Fat, Drunk and Stupid Lord Helmet's Avatar

All school does is stress me, you aren't the only one.
    Super Bowl XLI Champions
    2000 Eastern Conference Champions

What I bolded is the part that sucks. I'm not there yet, but I've been there with a lot of other things. If I get that down it will get worse. It just seems so damn repetitive and all that.

About the last paragraph..

BTW: If any of you want to add me on FB or whatever just PM me.
    Yeah it's tough to get out of that. I blew four entire semesters of college with depression. Had to medically withdraw from basically two whole years at IU because my depression sodomized me something fierce.

School is extremely stressful. I remember taking tests in high school thinking, "well, if I don't kill this thing I'm gonna fail this class, it's gonna submarine my GPA, I'm not going to get into a good college, and my life will basically be over". Similar story on stuff like that in college. It's hard not to get stressed out with thoughts going on like that. I really hate the cliche, "take it one day at a time", but there is some truth to it. You have to find things that help you relax, are sort of an escape from that mental circle. Which, I assume, is part of the reason you post on PD.

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:

That happened in the finals and bio.. And I blew it. I was so pissed.

Well you're still young so don't worry about some bad grades since break. In the end they really won't hurt you. Honestly, just put the bad grades behind you and look forward. Set some small goals for you with upcoming tests. You said in another thread that English and journalism are your strengths. Keep those in mind in scheduling classes. Especially if those are your interests. I'm not sure how much control you have over your schedule but keep that in mind. Those are my strengths as well and thats what I did. Yet for some reason I still took calculus and organic chemistry... Its okay the rest of my senior year was a joke haha

Just don't put too much pressure on yourself with your scholarship. That could make things harder than they need to be. One bad grade won't kill you. I got a few myself and still graduated with a 4.0. And in your strong classes do as best as you can so if you struggle in another you know your English grade can balance it out.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to ilive4sports For This Useful Post:

My advice...

First, and this is important....You should be in bed by now, plain and simple. Kids can't function with such little sleep. That's the first issue. Get some sleep. 8 hours a night unless you are up studying for a test.

Next, the idea that teachers don't care is incorrect. Some do. Find them and take advantage of what they can do for you. They are there to help you succeed. In the classes where you have evidence that they don't care, get tutoring. There is a free tutoring service you can call---they tutor you over the phone in most subjects you are probably taking.

Also, see your guidance counselor ASAP. Do your best to foster a good relationship with this person. They can help you both in the choice of the right classes as well as with planning post-grad decisions.

You do need motivation, but it has to come from you. Might as well get used to it; if you figure out how to self-motivate, the skill will serve you well for the rest of your life. No one will hold your hand in college either. It's a survival skill.

I have had so many students like you at the college level. Full of untapped potential, but they just quit on themselves because they lose interest or cannot motivate themselves. Choosing the right classes is important, but remember that others have succeeded in the classes you are in; they likely have no more smarts than you. Think about this and take the steps to right the sails. Believe me, you can do it if you apply yourself. I've seen your writing. It's good. You have some good skill sets. Invest the time and do your thing.

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to joeyd For This Useful Post:

This happened to me back in High School as well. I finished with something like a 2.0 or something, which would have been way higher had I given a crap.

However, I'll speak from a close friends experience. He currently is working a crap job at some crap store. He tells me on a weekly basis that he wishes he would've just put in that little bit of effort back when it counted. Now, he struggles to pay any of his bills and has non-stop stress in his life.

Don't let the lack of motivation put you in financial trouble down the road. Get an education, I promise you it's worth it. I found most of the crap in high school to be incredibly boring, but you just have to stick with it (I'm assuming you're in high school).

Once college rolls around, the information will become much more relevant to your life and you'll see the importance of it (At least it did for me).

Don't worry. Keep your head up. Just stick with it and realize how important your education can be.

You've got everyone's support here on PD. Best of luck, and don't put any added stress on yourself.
    Stop quoting people I have on ignore!

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Psyren For This Useful Post:

Here's what I would say....If you have a history of 3.0 gpa just put your head down and grind and it will come back. You will be fine. High school kind of ebbs and flows. For me, school always came naturally which actually hurt my motivation in a lot of ways, sounds like motivation isn't the problem with you so just put your head down and work through. You will be fine.

Now at the same time, get this tidied up before you go to college, you don't want to feel like you're falling behind there or lagging in performance. In high school, it's probably just a feeling you have even in AP classes, in college though, it will be what actually is happening.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

Don't take this the wrong way, but you should get some new friends.

30. The Following User Says Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:

My buddy is in law school and had a hard time concentrating for long periods of time while studying, especially at night being at home with his kid. He went to his Doc and was prescribed Adderall and he says it is unbelievable. When he takes it he is rediculously focused and everything he studies seems extremely interesting. Of course there are draw backs, you lose your appetite and he's lost probably 20lbs in a few months and he sometimes can't sleep very well due to his mind racing. But it may be worth a try if you think you need some extra help?
    Last edited by JBones19; 02-07-2011 at 03:06 PM. Reason: corrected spelling

32. The Following User Says Thank You to JBones19 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by JBones19 View Post
    My buddy is in law school and had a hard time concentrating for long periods of time while studying, especially at night being at home with his kid. He went to his Doc and was prescribed aderol and he says it is unbelievable. When he takes it he is rediculously focused and everything he studies seems extremely interesting. Of course there are draw backs, you lose your appetite and he's lost probably 20lbs in a few months and he sometimes can't sleep very well due to his mind racing. But it may be worth a try if you think you need some extra help?
    I have been prescribed to Adderall, Concerta, and now Vyvanse in the past. Adderall does help you focus, but it is really intense. The side effects were not worth it. No appetite as you mentioned, sleeping for me was already excruciating so it made that unbearable, and the mood swings were the worst. If someone derailed me from the task at hand, I would get extremely short tempered and irritated with them. When you are coming down from the Adderall, it is the same way. I just got pissed off for no good reason.

The other two are better, but all Rx medications have their drawbacks and side effects. I wouldn't recommend getting on this stuff unless lack of focus is clearly the issue.

34. The Following User Says Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

You sound like you're on the right track.

I'll admit, I'm a terrible test taker and sometimes my test grades aren't what I would like for them to be even though I studied for a while.

What really keeps my average up is doing every assignment like homework and classwork. That really balances it out with the tests.

Also make it appear to the teacher that you care about their class and to do well in it. Go to their extra help sessions if you don't understand something.

The more classes you're in and as you continue high school, the better chance your GPA will go up.

Good luck.

Thanks for all of the advice fellas. After looking everything over, I decided to make a list to try to follow:

-Continue to get sleep
    -Meet my guidance counselor whoever that is
    -Keep my eye on the prize, cliche but w/e
    -Perhaps explore my options and see if I may have a focus disorder or something along those lines, etc..
    -Work harder

Also I want to add this, my mom's side of the family has a deep depression problem and I had a talk with my mom yesterday and she said that she needs to get me to a therapist or psychiatrist or something to make sure that that isn't the issue. It may be, but I don't have a clue.

Thanks guys