Thread: Ray Allen wants 20 million bucks a year!

Default Ray Allen wants 20 million bucks a year!

he wants Kobe money.

He's a good player, but he ain't all that.

http://www.tribnet.com/sports/basket...-5458058c.html

Allen asking Sonics for deal worth $100 million
    FRANK HUGHES; The News Tribune

Citing the recently signed contract of Los Angeles Lakers star Kobe Bryant, Ray Allen has told the Seattle SuperSonics he wants a contract extension worth $100 million over five seasons, according to sources.

In early August, Bryant, after visiting several teams, signed a contract with the Lakers worth $136 million over six seasons.

Allen's reasoning, according to sources, is that while he may not be as good as Bryant, he still is an All-Star and is not worth considerably less, a fact bolstered by the virtually one-on-one shootout Allen and Bryant had Jan. 2, a game that Allen ultimately won for the Sonics in the final seconds when he split two defenders for a scoop shot, his 35th point. Bryant scored 32 points in that game, overshadowing Gary Payton's return to Seattle.

The Sonics are believed to be offering close to $70 million over five seasons, with a starting salary of around $11 million.

If Allen's contract demands were extended to six seasons, it would be a contract worth $126 million. If the Sonics' offer was extended to six seasons, it would be worth $86.6 million.

Sonics general manager Rick Sund is on vacation and unavailable for comment, a team spokesperson said.

Sources say that Allen is adamant about his demands and that he is willing to play out the final season of his contract without an extension and go into next summer as an unrestricted free agent, able to sign with any team.

Allen's stance comes after a summer in which he has seen seemingly exorbitant contracts bestowed upon marginal players, including a seven-year, $73 million contract to Erick Dampier with Dallas, five years and $41.6 million to Adonal Foyle with Golden State and six years and $34 million to Brian Cardinal with Memphis. Those three, all frontcourt players, combined to average 25 points and 20 rebounds per game last season. Allen averaged 23 points, 5.1 rebounds and 4.8 assists.

Meanwhile, the Sonics are taking a more fiscally responsible approach in the hopes they can avoid a luxury tax and possibly sign another player next summer to add to their core.

They are hoping Allen is not willing to risk losing money because of a probable change to the collective bargaining agreement, which will be renegotiated.

The question, of course, is whether the Sonics will trade Allen if they feel he is not likely to accept their offer. It is a question that will hover over the organization until the February trade deadline.

If the Sonics are unable to sign Allen to an extension, they will have only $22 million committed to salaries next summer, meaning they could have about $25 million for free agency.

Also, if Allen wants to maximize his value, he would need to work out a sign-and-trade deal next summer, something the Sonics have the ability to control.

Frank Hughes: 253-597-8742, ext. 6120
    frank.hughes@mail.tribnet.com

(Published 12:54AM, September 8th, 2004)
    The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

Default Re: Ray Allen wants 20 million bucks a year!

Allen is worth more than 70 mil. over 5 years.
    "They could turn out to be only innocent mathematicians, I suppose," muttered Woevre's section officer, de Decker.

"'Only.'" Woevre was amused. "Someday you'll explain to me how that's possible. Seeing that, on the face of it, all mathematics leads, doesn't it, sooner or later, to some kind of human suffering."

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Actually, thats $21 million bucks a year.....

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

Mood

Not worth the money. And I like him.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Arcadian
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Bullcrap. NOBODY is worth 70M a year.

So Ray rationalizes that although Kobe is better, he's not THAT much lower in the food chain than Kobe, therefore he's worth $100M.

Juhesius.

I'm a 50+ year old man that is working toward retirement. I have a wonderful house that is fully paid off, but need my nest egg before I can retire.

The problem we have in trying to budget for retirement is that we really don't know when we have "enough". You give me 300K and I really don't believe that would be enough for me. You give me $1M and I know that would be enough to put in a tax-free investment to support me for the rest of my years.

Pro players? They need to get a clue.

When they have more money than they can possibly spend anyway, is there really an appreciable difference between $136M and even $25M?

You always hear them talking about the fans and "thanking" the fans. We play for the fans. The fans this... the fans that.

If they really wanted to do something in return for the fans, then maybe they need to start thinking about playing for less.

[edit=98=1094852393][/edit]
    [edit=98=1094852456][/edit]

Compared to what other top shooting guards are making Ray Allen is worth more than 70 mil. over 5 years.

Granted NBA players do get paid more than their contributions to society are worth but that is a completely different issue.

"They could turn out to be only innocent mathematicians, I suppose," muttered Woevre's section officer, de Decker.

"'Only.'" Woevre was amused. "Someday you'll explain to me how that's possible. Seeing that, on the face of it, all mathematics leads, doesn't it, sooner or later, to some kind of human suffering."

canyoufeelit

He got game but he ain't got $100 million worth

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

So basically, the players should play for less, so the owners can charge the same amount, and pocket the difference?

Oh yeah, REEEEEEAL intelligent.....

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

Quote Originally Posted by Arcadian
    But not 100mil over 5 years.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

I agree Allen isn't worth 100 mil.

Why isn't the title of the article "Seattle only willing to give 70 mil."?

Because Seattle leaked his demands to make him appear unreasonable?

It's negotiation if Allen's agent didn't try to get 100 million he should be fired.

Indy's Wild Wild West Side: 8 sec-check...Club Rio-check...Cloud 9-check

Quote Originally Posted by Kstat
    So basically, the players should play for less, so the owners can charge the same amount, and pocket the difference?

I agree totally!!! I just don't get why everyone whines about the money pro-athletes make but think it is ok for Actors/actresses to break the bank. Athletes make far less then most mainstream actors, but are far more charitible then actors.
    ...Still "flying casual"
    @roaminggnome74

Watch next week he'll demand to be traded.

Fat, Drunk and Stupid Lord Helmet's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Destined4Greatness
    Watch next week he'll demand to be traded.

Super Bowl XLI Champions
    2000 Eastern Conference Champions

Quote Originally Posted by Roaming
    Quote Originally Posted by Kstat

I agree totally!!! I just don't get why everyone whines about the money pro-athletes make but think it is ok for Actors/actresses to break the bank. Athletes make far less then most mainstream actors, but are far more charitible then actors.
    Actually, I wanted to respond to Kstat, but I'm just very short on time.

Kstat -

My post and your response probably would lead to a decent philosophical discussion of player salaries, management and player/union greed, and whether anything ever will / ever can be done about it. Oh, and the role of the fan in the mix.

If it's alright with you, I'll probably pursue it in a few weeks. Just don't have the time now though.