Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Titans and Fisher parting ways.....Holy Cow.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Titans and Fisher parting ways.....Holy Cow.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...html?eref=sihp

By Don Banks, SI.com

In an unexpected development in what already has been a turbulent offseason in Tennessee, the Titans and Jeff Fisher, the NFL's longest-tenured head coach, are preparing to part ways, SI.com learned Thursday afternoon.

The Titans officially confirmed the news in a one-sentence press release Thursday evening. It remains uncertain if Fisher's departure will be termed a firing, a resignation or a mutual parting of ways. Fisher was said to be in the process of negotiating the terms of his departure with Titans owner Bud Adams.

According to a league source, only Adams, Fisher, Titans general manager Mike Reinfeldt and team general counsel Steve Underwood were aware of the finer details of Fisher's imminent departure late Thursday afternoon.

Fisher has been on the job with the Houston/Tennessee organization since being named interim head coach late in the 1994 season, and he was expected to return for a 17th full season this year. But Fisher's future with the team beyond that was considered somewhat tenuous given that he was entering the final year of his contract, and Adams did not decide to retain him until Jan. 7, five days after Tennessee closed out a disappointing 6-10 season -- the Titans' worst since 2005.

In choosing to keep Fisher and release fifth-year starting quarterback Vince Young, Adams had seemingly settled the protracted standoff that had existed between Fisher and Young since late November, when the two had a very heated argument in the Titans' locker room following a home loss to Washington.

While it's not known what prompted the change regarding Fisher's status in Tennessee, league sources say Fisher was not happy to lose a pair of his longtime defensive coaches last week. Fisher fired defensive coordinator Chuck Cecil, one of his closest friends, and saw well-respected Titans defensive line coach Jim Washburn accept a similar position on Andy Reid's staff in Philadelphia. Given that Fisher had just one year of security to offer any potential coaching replacements, it was thought that his task of filling those roles would be difficult.

The Titans started promisingly in 2010, going 5-2 and fielding the league's second-highest scoring offense behind the Patriots through seven weeks of the regular season. But Tennessee lost eight of its final nine games, suffered through the Young-Fisher controversy, and endured the news that offensive coordinator Mike Heimerdinger was diagnosed with cancer.

The Titans missed the playoffs in each of Fisher's last two seasons, going 8-8 in 2009 after an 0-6 start. Tennessee is the only team in the NFL to have a losing streak of at least six games in both of the past two seasons. Tennessee's last playoff trip came in 2008, but the No. 1 seeded Titans wasted their 13-3 regular season when they lost at home to No. 6-seeded Baltimore in the AFC divisional round.

Fisher was the NFL's youngest head coach at 36 when he was promoted from Oilers defensive coordinator to interim head coach in mid-November 1994, replacing the fired Jack Pardee. He was named the franchise's full time head coach in early January 1995, and went 142-120 (.542) in his 16-plus regular seasons with the Oilers/Titans. But Fisher was just 5-6 in the playoffs, with one Super Bowl trip (1999), four division titles and six postseason berths over that span. Three of Fisher's five postseason wins came during Tennessee's 1999 Super Bowl run -- it lost that game to St. Louis, 23-16 -- and the Titans have not won a playoff game since winning at Baltimore in the first round of the 2003 postseason.

While speculation swirled around the Fisher and Young drama earlier this offseason, Fisher repeatedly said he hoped to finish his coaching career in Tennessee. Fisher, who will be 53 late next month, was under contract for $6.5 million in 2011, and had been in his job more than four full seasons longer than the NFL's next most-tenured head coach, Philadelphia's Andy Reid.

================================================== ====================================

Oh man I can't even imagine how mad I'd be if I was Fisher. It's absolutely obvious that the owner waited until all the head coach jobs were filled before dropping the hammer on Fisher to keep him from coaching next year. So, who here thinks Kubiak would have survived in Houston if the owner down there had known Fisher was going to be available?
    Last edited by travmil; 01-27-2011 at 08:52 PM.

Default Re: Titans and Fisher parting ways.....Holy Cow.

Well, I certainly didn't see that one coming. I always thought Fisher was a pretty damn good coach. He'll be back in the league soon enough.

Makes our division easier though.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to PacerDude For This Useful Post:

Mood

If I was Irsay, I'd fire Caldwell tonight if I thought Fisher would take the Colts job.

5. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to travmil For This Useful Post:

Nerd.
    Mood

Quote Originally Posted by travmil View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If I was Irsay, I'd fire Caldwell tonight if I thought Fisher would take the Colts job.
    I like this.

Custom User Titleist
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

He sure wouldn't make the mistakes that Caldwell makes...

Wow Fisher is one of the best coaches in the NFL...period. I don't think there are any opening right now though at least that I can think.

Fisher is a heck of a coach. There is a 95% chance the Titans don't replace him with a better coach.

He is a good coach. But I think he is overrated. I think its the right choice for him and Tennessee to go separate ways because its just been too long. They clearly aren't getting better with him.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to ilive4sports For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by ilive4sports View Post
    But I think he is overrated.
    This. 6 playoff appearances and 5 playoff wins in 17 years? No thanks.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kegboy For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

No kidding. Plus this past season was a disaster and Vince Young wasn't the only reason. Titans play calling was terrible.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

Mood

As far as only making 6 playoff appearances, spending a decade in the same division with Peyton and the Colts will do that...

15. The Following User Says Thank You to travmil For This Useful Post:

I'm not part of the 'fire Jim Caldwell' bandwagon, but I completely agree. I'd love to see what he and Peyton could come up with as a pair.

You go offline for a few hours and all hell breaks loose....

Yeah I agree they got rid of him as soon as all the HC positions were filled even Al Davis wouldn't do that(and that's saying something)

I'd like it if Fisher was a DC here(I'd say HC but we all know that will never happen either)

At least if Fisher were here he'd never have to worry about offending anyone when wearing a Manning jersey

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    I'm not part of the 'fire Jim Caldwell' bandwagon, but I completely agree. I'd love to see what he and Peyton could come up with as a pair.

Well for starters if he wore a Manning jersey there wouldn't be a controversy

Mood

I'm pretty sure we wouldn't have to worry about inexplicable timeouts and bonehead unwinnable challenges either.

Mood

Well that's the thing. I'm not really part of that bandwagon either. However, Peyton has more years behind him than in front of him. Would you rather have Caldwell coaching those years, or Fisher? When I think of it that way, it's a no brainer.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to travmil For This Useful Post:

As far as only making 6 playoff appearances, spending a decade in the same division with Peyton and the Colts will do that...
    Its called the Wild Card. You put together a good team, you make the playoffs.

Mood

Yeah, those other NFL team in the other divisions are also vying for those two wild card spots.

Yeah, those other NFL team in the other divisions are also vying for those two wild card spots.
    Good coaches get to the playoffs. Even the years he got there they never made any noise other than their SB appearance. Pretty much your saying other teams were better, which is why he's no longer in Tennessee, they aren't competitive.

Mood

I don't care how many ways you try to paint it, you're not going to get me to believe that Fisher is not a good coach, or that he wouldn't be a significant upgrade over Caldwell.

26. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to travmil For This Useful Post:

That's your comeback, that the Titans should get the wildcard every year? There are a lot of good teams in the NFL. It's not like baseball or basketball where you pretty much know who's going to win games. That's what makes football so good to watch is that any team can win.

I don't think Fisher is overrated, but I'm not sure he'd be a good fit here. He seems to like to be in control and I'm not sure that would sit well with Peyton.
    With the #3 pick in the 2015 draft, your Indiana Pacers!

Man, I wonder where reject Colts will go now? I hope Del Rio has room in his heart to open his home to them now, at least while he still has a job.

If Peyton wants Fisher, he'd have no problem getting Polian to make the move. I wonder if he'd really want him, though. The only concern he seemed to show the Titans were what trick plays they would use to keep him off the field, especially after Schwartz left.

The Colts won't go after Fisher.

What will it say about the organization if they fire a coach after a Super Bowl appearance and a playoff appearance with an injury-riddled team? Especially when there wasn't any turmoil behind the scenes? It's not like the Colts were racking up lots of Super Bowl wins before he got there. If Fisher is hired and only manages to achieve what Caldwell has in two seasons, will he have to be fired as well?

Has Caldwell made some boneheaded mistakes? Yes. But he's a part of a big club. Look around. The NFL is full of coaches that have had them. Even Belichick has made some costly coaching decisions (4th and 2 against the Colts last year?).

Besides, Irsay has way too much respect for Tony Dungy to fire his hand-selected replacement after two playoff seasons.
    WE ARE NOT GETTING ERIC GORDON

31. The Following User Says Thank You to Aw Heck For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Aw Heck View Post
    The Colts won't go after Fisher.

What will it say about the organization if they fire a coach after a Super Bowl appearance and a playoff appearance with an injury-riddled team? Especially when there wasn't any turmoil behind the scenes? It's not like the Colts were racking up lots of Super Bowl wins before he got there. If Fisher is hired and only manages to achieve what Caldwell has in two seasons, will he have to be fired as well?

Has Caldwell made some boneheaded mistakes? Yes. But he's a part of a big club. Look around. The NFL is full of coaches that have had them. Even Belichick has made some costly coaching decisions (4th and 2 against the Colts last year?).

Besides, Irsay has way too much respect for Tony Dungy to fire his hand-selected replacement after two playoff seasons.

An organization that should've never hired Caldwell in the first place and was willing to rectify the mistake. I'm not a big Fisher fan but even I think he's an upgrade over Caldwell.

But you're right the Colts will not make that move but don't expect them to win an SB for the rest of Manning's career either.

Of course Caldwell is only part of the problem around here.

Quote Originally Posted by Basketball Fan View Post
    An organization that should've never hired Caldwell in the first place
    Really? Has it been that bad?

Was it so obvious that Caldwell was a bad hire when the Colts were on the verge of a perfect season last year? When they were in the Super Bowl? Did you think Caldwell was a bad hire then too? What more could you have expected of him?

And any coach would have struggled with the personnel (or lack thereof) Caldwell had this year.

Look, I'm not even that big a fan of Caldwell. But I definitely don't think he deserves the ridicule he's been receiving.
    WE ARE NOT GETTING ERIC GORDON